Newbie 985 Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #750 (ISO) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

But hey, I was onto Tvel for most of the game... and his lynch would have likely not spared Nikanor... so :P
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #751 (ISO) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

If any of you want any specific feedback regarding my take on your play, feel free to ask.

In the meantime. *Burns book of associative tells.*

That's probably the best general piece of advice I can give. Overly focusing on associative tells after the 1st scumflip seems to lead right off a cliff. There are a few exceptions where the associative tells are very obvious, but in most cases, you're better off throwing them out and focusing on standalone tells/scumminess of players. It's one of those things that's very easy to say and very difficult to actually do... but the advice is there anyway.
NashiNashi
NashiNashi
Townie
NashiNashi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #752 (ISO) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:47 pm

Post by NashiNashi »

Indeed Zach, that risk from the scums were hell of a risk, something that I didn't not think anything would dare to take. Something that turned out to be what aided them to win.

Thank you Tv for explaining why you kept FakeGod alive. That's one element I flat out couldn't figure out, well played. I'm surprised that EM served you well though. Tried to play there and I was beyond disappointed at that place.

I think another good thing to learn from this is that non-activity can be a tell, but it is never anything definitive. When I play Mafia I am on the quieter side of thing, regardless which side I'm on. Remember that regardless what we we are assigned on, real life commitment do not change. I know people lie their heads off regard to this, but again, not the most accurate one-for-all scum tell.

Lastly David Parker, may I ask why did you played the way you did this time around? For the last game you were quite onto lynching me too as I appeared scummy to you. In reality I was way too unstable to remove my head from the toilet bowl to post.
NashiNashi
NashiNashi
Townie
NashiNashi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #753 (ISO) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:48 pm

Post by NashiNashi »

Zachrulez, comment please. ;D
tvellalott
tvellalott
Goon
tvellalott
Goon
Goon

Post Post #754 (ISO) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:42 pm

Post by tvellalott »

Zachrulez wrote:So yeah, wow. This game taught me a lot. (Which it should have done when sotty did it in gonzo.) Never presume a player clear based on what would appear to be an optimal situation with a split wagon. The presumption of scum being cleared can allow them to easily ride to endgame.

Keep in mind though that in the newbie setup, busing your roleblocker like that can really screw the pooch if you're in the prs setup. Cop and Doc in day 3 alive is pretty much an autowin for town in most situations.

Unless you thought it was likely they didn't exist?
I honestly didn't realise what a risk I was taking, but as I said, I don't regret it. If I had hammered FakeGod, Nikanor AND my necks would have both been on the chopping block, one of us would have been lynch the next day almost certainly and the other the next. That risk won scum this game.

I did however have a strong feeling there were no PR's. By that point of the game I should have gotten some sign...
I'd like to hear what Kalofer has to say. He really shouldn't be hanging his head in shame. As soon as I saw how he reacted to pressure day one I set out to buddy with him, even after he FOSed me multiple times. He was right on the money (as were many of you) multiple times.

But you know, scums gonna scum.

PS: What IRC server and what channel?
"All told, kindness is not fashionable."
tvellalott
tvellalott
Goon
tvellalott
Goon
Goon

Post Post #755 (ISO) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Post by tvellalott »

Zachrulez wrote:But hey, I was onto Tvel for most of the game... and his lynch would have likely not spared Nikanor... so :P
This is exactly why I killed you and because I did it after hammering Nikanor, no one took any notice. In fact Fake became convinced Kalofer was scum! :twisted:
NashiNashi
NashiNashi
Townie
NashiNashi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #756 (ISO) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:52 pm

Post by NashiNashi »

Is Kalofer going to come back out again? I wonder what he would be like as a scum player, because so far he came across as one of the most serious and honest player I have seen. It helps greatly with his townie read when playing as a townie - a significant contrast with my lolwhatever attitude. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing, I can't get worked up emotionally in a Mafia game even if I tried.

Kalofer, no need to hang your head in shame. If anyone played a crap game it goes to the scummiest townie ever walked. I'm happy to take that title for this game. 8D
Kalofer
Kalofer
Goon
Kalofer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #757 (ISO) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:23 pm

Post by Kalofer »

Nah, all this time I was sleeping lol, I was so liking bear team for scum I guess I wanted Abe to be scum, shows how much I suck though. Tvell if you think that your telling anyone you're convinced I'm town made me sympathise with you, you are absolutely wrong, it actually made me more suspicious of you. However, in the end, you just seemed too crazy and erratic to seem like scum to me. Though what unnerved me more than your defense of me was when Abe started saying he's been sure I was town all this time. Tvell, you played a really good game there, congrats on your win.
And one last time, sorry for the epic fail (I should have known not to vote Abe, when I've been having bad luck all day lol).
Praemonitus, Praemunitus.

Trying to perfect the art of not giving a ****
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #758 (ISO) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:56 pm

Post by DavidParker »

As said early on, I don't adhere to any single meta. I play all games somewhat differently and experiment a little. I'm surprised there was such a quick turn around, as a I jokingly pointed out on numerous occasions day 1, noone is voting me, I'm clearly town!!!! then within a page or so I was suddenly hammered. That actually surprised me, I'm sad my twilight post got erased, it basically said Nashi+Nikanor are probably scum. Zach is probably town despite all I've said.
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
NashiNashi
NashiNashi
Townie
NashiNashi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #759 (ISO) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:58 pm

Post by NashiNashi »

Make sense, David. Pity that during a game it's hard to believe anything anyone says!
Kalofer
Kalofer
Goon
Kalofer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #760 (ISO) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:58 pm

Post by Kalofer »

Perhaps the game would have gone on better if we hadn't lynched you at all David or at least it would have had a totally different turning.
Praemonitus, Praemunitus.

Trying to perfect the art of not giving a ****
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #761 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:00 am

Post by DavidParker »

I figured with the way I played I'd either be day 1 lynched or night 1 killed ahha. Sadly, the former happened. Anyways, I was following the game all along and got so frustrated people weren't lynching Nashi, my tunnel-vision was rather surprised when you flipped town.

I don't think I was the best day 1 lynch, but at the same time what is a good day 1 lynch? At times I pointed to a Tvell lynch day 1, but I didn't try too hard to get suport for it. Had I been more persistant and less erratic it may have happened but that just goes to show how these games can be decided over such small decisions.
NashiNashi
NashiNashi
Townie
NashiNashi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #762 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:21 am

Post by NashiNashi »

This David being convinced that I am scum and I'm convinced David was scum solely based on a change of our playstyles is another good lesson - every game is a new game.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #763 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:06 am

Post by DavidParker »

Well the difference is, I was dead, so you were safe to play how you liked regardless of my presenece... Whereas I was playing how I did knowing fully well there was someone still in the game who had played with me before.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #764 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:48 am

Post by FakeGod »

TVELL BUSSED? WUT :eek:

THis blows my mind away.

.....you risked a 50% auto-loss the next day, man. That was the gutsiest move I ever seen.

You should have just hammered me!!!
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.

Send me a PM if you want to replace in!
Abe27342
Abe27342
Townie
Abe27342
Townie
Townie

Post Post #765 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:49 am

Post by Abe27342 »

Eh, Kal I didn't play d4 the best and hammering nashi was a bad play also. My main fault would be not saying that I was pretty sure you were townie earlier. It looked way too erratic to d3 be voting you the whole day and then d4 say "OMG HE'S TOWN." Even if I did clear you, it was incredibly inconsistent.
DP, I do not regret voting tvell at the beginning of the day. I regret d3 and keeping my vote on kal even though I knew he was town.

Oh, and at tvell, the only way you didn't lose if we were in the PR setup is if you killed cop/doc the night after nik died. I can see how clearly there weren't any PR tells though. good move.

Finally, Nashi, don't expect anything out of unranked on EM. Ranked has some pretty decent games, and if you play with a few of your friends, you can have great games. (I had one in the multisetup with 7 people and daystart, it was nearly a 1.5 hour long game with the last day 3way lylo like 25-30 minutes long)
Oh, and I always try and go with my gut in the end.
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
Zombeh-Pug
Zombeh-Pug
Goon
Zombeh-Pug
Goon
Goon

Post Post #766 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:28 am

Post by Zombeh-Pug »

Darn scum. :mad:
Excedrin
Excedrin
Goon
Excedrin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #767 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:42 am

Post by Excedrin »

tvellalott wrote:PS: What IRC server and what channel?
irc.globalgamers.net #mafia
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #768 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:47 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Kalofer wrote:Nah, all this time I was sleeping lol, I was so liking bear team for scum I guess I wanted Abe to be scum, shows how much I suck though. Tvell if you think that your telling anyone you're convinced I'm town made me sympathise with you, you are absolutely wrong, it actually made me more suspicious of you. However, in the end, you just seemed too crazy and erratic to seem like scum to me. Though what unnerved me more than your defense of me was when Abe started saying he's been sure I was town all this time. Tvell, you played a really good game there, congrats on your win.
And one last time, sorry for the epic fail (I should have known not to vote Abe, when I've been having bad luck all day lol).
Tbh, I probably would have done the same thing in your position. Abe's quick hammer and quick vote really worked against him in the end there, I don't blame you at all for voting the way you did.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #769 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:54 am

Post by Nikanor »

For the record, if the bear team had actually been scum I would not have been able to contain my excitement and would have spammed the thread with nonsense.
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
tvellalott
tvellalott
Goon
tvellalott
Goon
Goon

Post Post #770 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Post by tvellalott »

FakeGod wrote:TVELL BUSSED? WUT :eek:

THis blows my mind away.

.....you risked a 50% auto-loss the next day, man. That was the gutsiest move I ever seen.

You should have just hammered me!!!
:D :D :D
NashiNashi
NashiNashi
Townie
NashiNashi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #771 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Post by NashiNashi »

Abe, believe it or not it was ranked game that did it for me. It was so bad I felt rotten for winning, like I was beating up children. And I'm not even a skilled player. I think it must be one particularly off day on EM.

I think Tv's bussing has to go as one of the most epic things I've ever seen. Just WOW.
Abe27342
Abe27342
Townie
Abe27342
Townie
Townie

Post Post #772 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Post by Abe27342 »

Eh, there are quite a few noobs who play comp, but you can normally tell if the people you're playing with are idiots and if they are leave the game. If you play enough you'll get a sense and recognize some good players' names anyway.
And nik, sorry we weren't a scumteam :)
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #773 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Abe wrote:And nik, sorry we weren't a scumteam
It's okay man. I'm sure I'll find some way to forgive you... someday.
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
NashiNashi
NashiNashi
Townie
NashiNashi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #774 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Post by NashiNashi »

Completely a tangent,but I think this may also explain why "gut feeling" works for me. "http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3013 ... th_Jam.php"

The down side is, try to convince anyone with that.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”