Newbie 980 ~ Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #725 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:34 am

Post by CSL »

No one bad-talked you, Haylen. Confirmed.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #726 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:35 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Nah, it wasn't anything about players. CSL and I got into a fight, essentially. :P

I'll answer the question about my self-hammer in more detail later; gotta get some work done first before vacation.
Retired as of October 2014.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #727 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:38 am

Post by Haylen »

Ok, that actually makes me feel better. My guess is that it was with regards to the day beginning as soon as actions were received, correct?
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #728 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:43 am

Post by CSL »

How did you know, Haylen? O.O
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #729 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:45 am

Post by Haylen »

I told you. I'm psychic. *shrugs* Its not my fault if people don't believe that it's the reason I catch at least one scum in a game.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #730 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:46 am

Post by Haylen »

Flay, Singer and Kov can confirm that they didn't give me the link. I just know stuff sometimes.

CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #731 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:47 am

Post by CSL »

Before I forget.

Day 4 started less than a day early because I had all actions, and singer implied that she was ready for it to begin.
Show

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #732 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:49 am

Post by Haylen »

I know ;)

singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #733 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:59 pm

Post by singersigner »

Mr. Flay wrote:That was the moment at which I thought singer had it in the bag. In LyLo, when someone else has already voted you and the other options is a Confirmed Townie, you HAVE to vote for the voter. OMGUS isn't even in it anymore, it just makes sense.
This happened in the first game I watched, and then the first game I was actually in. The one I watched, the person I thought was town voted (accurately) almost right away, so they guy who ended up being scum had to counter...though they also didn't have a confirmed townie like we did, which was why I felt it almost necessary to vote right away. The second one the scum experimented with a no NK option, and it worked out, because he was then able to present a case on me (I died the last day, ahhhh), without getting targeted by the other town for being too suspicious. It's certainly a balancing act.
Mr. Flay wrote:Well-played to singersigner for lasting two days w/o a partner.
No offense, Flay, but I'm noticing with the more games I watch, that I think I'd probably do much better if I had the opportunity to buss my partner right away, and then go solo, so that way I don't have to worry about being paired up with anyone, or the balancing act of being close, but not too close you know?
But I do think you started out well enough. Kind of the same approach I had with being very actively scum hunting, etc. I've never been able to use a QT, though, so I was sad that jmurph got the confirmed mafia on you. :P
Glork and quadz08 are my favorite.

I like tomatoes.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #734 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:00 pm

Post by singersigner »

Also, NEXUS, I told you that we'd talk about your play style after the game if you wanted, so if you have any questions about what people found scummy/why they found it scummy on D1, just ask.

I like tomatoes.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #735 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:05 pm

Post by singersigner »

ALSO, ALSO...in case anyone was curious about what happened in RL that caused me to get shaken up a bit, my grandma (the only grandparent I've ever know) passed away while I was in V/LA status at band camp, so not only was it already a physically draining time for me, it was pretty emotionally draining as well. I just didn't want that to affect the way you thought about my game play, etc, nor did I want you to have to deal with another replaced player, so
I
hope you at least got a town vibe from my game play, and not from my "sympathy" play, haha.

I like tomatoes.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #736 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:03 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

singersigner wrote:No offense, Flay, but I'm noticing with the more games I watch, that I think I'd probably do much better if I had the opportunity to buss my partner right away, and then go solo, so that way I don't have to worry about being paired up with anyone, or the balancing act of being close, but not too close you know?

But I do think you started out well enough.
Eh; I started off okay, but I HATE getting the Mafia Roleblocker role in this setup - I'm no good at lurking back and not drawing attention to myself, and the Mafia RB's job is to survive, even at the expense of their Goon's life (because the RB can do both actions if alone, but the Goon cannot). I'm inherently argumentative and wordy, and for some reason about twice a game I get the "Flay might be scum, we should lynch him just in case he's fooling us". Combine that with a Cop in a small setup and I was kinda screwed... plus, I didn't have enough time for a really good gambit. My Goon got replaced twice, not that singersigner wasn't an improvement. :)

As for the self-hammer: It's never* useful to do it as Town, but as a scum it can occasionally throw a wrench into town's works. Scum lynches are GOLD for town, they get to really analyze how potential partners react, vote, stay away, bus, etc... by jmurph3 coming out with the guilty and several people voting right away, I was able to shut down that analysis and throw all votes into question. It's the best of a bad situation when the Cop has you dead to rights, but not until then; you almost always have a chance to talk your way out of a bandwagon short of a Sane Cop/Tracker/whatever result.

* For sufficiently large values of never
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #737 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Also, best quote from the Mafia QT:
Flayscum wrote:Ahahaha. I just figured out why jmurph has been pinging 'Cop' to me all game. Lt. Murphy from Dresden Files *facepalm*
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #738 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:15 pm

Post by Nexus »

singersigner wrote:Also, NEXUS, I told you that we'd talk about your play style after the game if you wanted, so if you have any questions about what people found scummy/why they found it scummy on D1, just ask.
Go go gadget answers plz :)
Trans rights are human rights.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #739 (ISO) » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Post by singersigner »

lol, ok.
Well, basically my take on your whole D1 play was your AtE (Appeal to Emotion) was way too prevalent for it to be scum, and if I didn't already know it was your first game, I would've soon made that assumption. Sometimes struggling too hard to prove you're a genuine town comes across as "immature" or useless, since then you stop scum-hunting on your own.

Like I've said in games before, I'd much rather someone point out why someone else is scummier than they are, than try to dispute all claims on them as scum, since that's 1. distracting, and 2. isn't pro-town in trying to find the real scum (even if you're scum trying to "prove your innocence" this helps, because you need to be able to play like you're pro-town).

Then with D2, your play changed entirely. Getting chewed out for playing the way you were playing (I believe you got the most active award ;) ), then completely changing your game play, was to me "scummy," since it looks like you were just trying to appease town. ACM, who was scum in my first game, played consistently throughout his entire game, even though he was reprimanded for it on more than one occasion, just because that was his "play style" and even though the rest of the town didn't like it, he was able to prove through other games that it's consistently worked for him. If you change to much to appease town, it looks like somewhere along the way, you were getting coached, or you're only doing this so that the town doesn't lynch you.

I hope that makes sense, and I didn't offend you at all. I played like ASS my first game, since while I felt like I was doing a good job analyzing arguments and stuff, I couldn't make up my mind, and then lost my cool as soon as people started pointing the finger at me. I also couldn't handle the fact that people were using my own arguments against me. It was a lot to take in at once.

Anything else you're curious about?
(Also, if anyone disagrees with what I have to say/has anything to add, please do so :) )

I like tomatoes.
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #740 (ISO) » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:22 am

Post by CSL »

Wow. No "Thanks for modding" att all? I only got one from jmurph, and that was a reply to her investigation results from Night 3.
Show

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #741 (ISO) » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:52 am

Post by Nexus »

THANKS FOR MODDING CSL.

<333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
Trans rights are human rights.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #742 (ISO) » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:02 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Good job signer.
I was never actually serious about self-hammering btw. I just said that as an intimidation tactic.
I'd post more if I cared more. :P
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #743 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:42 pm

Post by CSL »

Wait...

TEN posts in Day 4? Are you kidding me? That's a record!
Show

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #744 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Yeah, for a game without a Cop guilty, it very well might be. :P
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #745 (ISO) » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:21 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Last post.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”