Newbie 1010 (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
bird1111
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:24 am

Post by bird1111 »

Vote Count:
Razgriz (1): Spadille
Ups (1): Civil Scum
Spadille (1): Yoenit
silverbullet999 (1): Ups
Yoenit (0): No one
Vinicius Chaim (0): No one
neil1113 (0): No one
nevermind (0): No one
Civil Scum (0): No one

With 9 alive it is 5 to lynch.

Deadline Vote Count:
Razgriz (1): Spadille
Ups (1): Civil Scum
Spadille (1): Yoenit
silverbullet999 (1): Ups
Yoenit (0): No one
Vinicius Chaim (0): No one
neil1113 (0): No one
nevermind (0): No one
Civil Scum (0): No one

With 0 not having posted within the last 48 hours, 0 currently requesting replacement, and 0 who have requested to not have their vote counted for deadline purposes; 9 votes would be counted if deadline was now, and therefore it would take 5 votes to lynch. Deadline: September 30th@8:00 AM EDT/GMT-4 (12:00 PM GMT). A countdown to deadline can be found here
Last edited by bird1111 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
neil1113
neil1113
Mafia Scum
neil1113
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:44 am

Post by neil1113 »

All of these votes in such a short time... it seems like that'd be the mafia's goal right? To try and get a lynch going on us and try to take us out... According to the info above, there are only two mafia. So this shouldn't be too hard to get them to expose themselves. My only concern right now is if Civil turns up to be scum. He's a bit more experienced according to the boards, and therefore he can play "Town" a lot easier then others. So to clarify Civil, I have my eyes on you.

Also, Ups it seems like you're posting just to get your name out there so nobody can claim you're "lurking", though you bring no valuable information to the town either concerning yourself, or concerning anything you've seen. Granted, it's day 1 so I'm not too worried about this but you're also in my sights. I'd rather not lose this game to the mafia scum, and so I'll be keeping a close eye out on this game. And if I get killed day 1.... I'll be rather mad. :P But if Civil or Ups really is scum, it'd be a dead give a way (okay, maybe not OBVIOUS but pretty clear) that you're scum. Just saying.

Now that I've had my say, continue on with your conversation. :)
Show
Total Games Played:

Last Editted:
9-29-11

Spoiler: My Record for Mafiascum.net
#1. 5-2 Scum
#2. 3-6 Town
#3. 0-1 3rd Party
Archaebob
-
Hats off to Neil for some incredible town play.

Me=Weird
-
When I read up, I was just amazed by neil. Awesome reads.
Ups
Ups
Townie
Ups
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:01 am

Post by Ups »

neil1113 wrote:Also, Ups it seems like you're posting just to get your name out there so nobody can claim you're "lurking", though you bring no valuable information to the town either concerning yourself, or concerning anything you've seen.
Well, we're in RVS and I personally don't understand the Random.org hate when most people tend to joke around with their votes this early in the game. The method I used, the RNG, ultimately accomplishes the same result as this...
Spadille wrote:I
Vote: Razgriz
for voting the mod
THE WRONG WAY
D:
I'd like to know the following from you:

1)What do you think of RVS in general?
2)Why haven't you voted yet?
Razgriz
Razgriz
Goon
Razgriz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:36 am

Post by Razgriz »

Civil Scum wrote:Razgriz, gotta use zee bold tags for voting or the mod is 99% likely not to count it
I know I just didn't know if the mod would PR me for that. Some mods I've played with freak out if you joke vote them like that.

There were 9 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

vote neil1113
Random.org FTW!

1.neil1113
2.Razgriz-
Funny cause I almost would've had to vote myself O_o

3.silverbullet999 (SE)
4.Yoenit
5.nevermind (SE)
6.Vinicius Chaim
7.Civil Scum (IC)
8.Ups
9.Spadille
Timestamp: 2010-09-09 20:36:32 UTC
Show
We'll put a boot in your ass it's the American way!
Roll Tide Roll #1 Alabama 4-0 this season
Mafiascum Record:
Town 1-1
Mafia 0-0
3rd Party 0-0

All-Time Record
Town 5-3
Mafia 4-3
3rd Party 3-1
Jester(Still part of 3rd party): 1-0

Olinea: "But I'll only stop scumhunting when I'm dead."
neil1113
neil1113
Mafia Scum
neil1113
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:39 am

Post by neil1113 »

You don't want to do that Raz... it's a Toby Keith CD in the middle of an Opera concert. :) Think about it.
Show
Total Games Played:

Last Editted:
9-29-11

#1. 5-2 Scum
#2. 3-6 Town
#3. 0-1 3rd Party
Archaebob
-

Me=Weird
-
nevermind
nevermind
Goon
nevermind
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:38 am

Post by nevermind »

Civil Scum wrote:Nevermind is the roleblocker!
darn, i'm outed already.
wait how did you know? cop doesn't have investigation yet, so you must be my partner!
vote: civil

Also, two questions for everyone in this game:

What do you think is the best way to start off an F11 (the setup we're playing)?
If RVS:
  • How would you decide when to end RVS?
    • What if no one reacts to anything?
    What would you say is the maximum number of votes a person can have?
    How would one vote "randomly"?
    • random number generator, frivolous reasons, patterns, etc.

and I will answer my own question later.
neil1113
neil1113
Mafia Scum
neil1113
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:55 am

Post by neil1113 »

Ups wrote:Well, we're in RVS and I personally don't understand the Random.org hate when most people tend to joke around with their votes this early in the game. The method I used, the RNG, ultimately accomplishes the same result as this...
Alright, I'll follow this method just so that we can start eliminating people... but the chance of silverbullet actually being scum is 2/9. The only reason I'm going with this, is for an experienced player he 1. Hasn't said anything yet, which most lurking people usually turn out scum that I've realized. and 2. Because he hasn't contributed anything to the town yet, which in this case means if he does turn up town, we're not losing a HUGE asset.

So VOTE: Silverbullet999

Also, Raz come to think about it... I may have posted the most helpful information so far for the town, and it would make since for you to vote for me out if you're scum. And your list wasn't much help for you either considering these factors...

1. You put yourself as second in order to show "I almost voted for myself" in which any person skimming over it could think to themselves, "well, he must not have made it up!"

2. Your next choice was Silverbullet, who ironically was JUST mentioned above you.

3. Then you went on to include Yoenit as he was online at the same time you and I were.

and finally 4. As I stated above, it'd make sense for scum to try and vote out someone who is contributing to the town. It WOULDN'T make sense for a townie to try to vote out somebody who's giving helpful information to the town...

So I won't vote for you just yet, but I can assure you if Silver comes out town, you'll be my next target.

List of people right now:

My Watch List:
1. Raz
2. Civil Scum
(I've taken Ups from it, as he gave a somewhat valid statement back, showing he cared enough to address my concern. But it doesn't mean he's cleared.. yet. :P)

Townies:
neil1113 (I know myself lol)
silverbullet999 (Considering I'm voting for him, I'm really hoping he's not town.)
nevermind
Vinicius Chaim
Yoenit
Spadille
Ups

Also, another question for you Ups... how do you pronounce your user name? Is it "up" with an s at the end, or is it the abbreviation of U.P.S.? This has nothing to do with the game, just curious. :)
Show
Total Games Played:

Last Editted:
9-29-11

#1. 5-2 Scum
#2. 3-6 Town
#3. 0-1 3rd Party
Archaebob
-

Me=Weird
-
Ups
Ups
Townie
Ups
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:57 am

Post by Ups »

Unvote

Vote:neil1113

Upon rereading your posts, I'd like you to answer the previous questions posed at you, and I'd like you to address your actions so far. For example, you haven't voted yet, instead ending with this.
neil1113 wrote:Now that I've had my say, continue on with your conversation. :)
That line sounds to me like you want to appear to be scumhunting, without actually taking a stand. That type of passive play is weak for town.
neil1113 wrote:All of these votes in such a short time... it seems like that'd be the mafia's goal right? To try and get a lynch going on us and try to take us out...
Could you please elaborate about this? I'm not quite sure I understand your reasoning.

And for Nevermind's Q's:

What do you think is the best way to start off an F11 (the setup we're playing)? -
RVS, I guess. This is just from reading other games though, and because RQS is comparatively uncommon I don't have much knowledge on alternatives.

If RVS:

How would you decide when to end RVS? -
When someone slips up and appears to be scum.

What if no one reacts to anything? -
Make a reaction, I guess. Perhaps by starting a bandwagon and gauging reactions, but it really shouldn't get to that point.

L-1. If they get hammered we have a strong scum suspect, and otherwise we pressure them to spill their guts, hopefully resulting in useful info.

random number generator, frivolous reasons, patterns, etc. -
I don't care how it's done.
Ups
Ups
Townie
Ups
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:59 am

Post by Ups »

EBWOP: you posted right before me, going to read up on our post quickly.
nevermind
nevermind
Goon
nevermind
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:03 pm

Post by nevermind »

Because he hasn't contributed anything to the town yet, which in this case means if he does turn up town, we're not losing a HUGE asset.
lol
Ups
Ups
Townie
Ups
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by Ups »

I'm going to keep my vote where it is right now, but I agree that the people who haven't posted yet need to be accounted for. Also, keep in mind that this round lasts 3 weeks, so all the lurkers now will have to eventually post or be replaced. You seem to be aggressively targeting lurkers, to the point of suggesting lynching without, even though it's the first day of the game and people may just happen to be busy today. In conclusion, lynching people without proper evidence building is anti-town.

P.S.- It's pronounced "up" with an s at the end.
neil1113
neil1113
Mafia Scum
neil1113
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:21 pm

Post by neil1113 »

Ups wrote:
Upon rereading your posts, I'd like you to answer the previous questions posed at you, and I'd like you to address your actions so far. For example, you haven't voted yet, instead ending with this.
neil1113 wrote:Now that I've had my say, continue on with your conversation. :)
That line sounds to me like you want to appear to be scumhunting, without actually taking a stand. That type of passive play is weak for town.
Well, I just voted before you posted anything. Also, what about it is passive? I was waiting to see everyone post in, before I decide to make an accusation. I'd much rather strategically question people then just go out and say their scum. If they can defend themselves accurately, I have no problem moving on.
Ups wrote:
neil1113 wrote:All of these votes in such a short time... it seems like that'd be the mafia's goal right? To try and get a lynch going on us and try to take us out...
Could you please elaborate about this? I'm not quite sure I understand your reasoning.
I mean everyones name getting thrown everywhere. It just seems to bring confusion rather then helping us question ONE person, seeing their motives, then either lynching and moving on or staying there. And from previous games I've played, it's a Mafia's dream to confuse the town because then the town has no leg to stand on and the phase ends with "1 vote here, 1 vote there, 1 vote everywhere!" Does that make any sense?

Oh and Nevermind's Q's:

What do you think is the best way to start off an F11 (the setup we're playing)? -

I honestly think as shown above, that it's be easier to focus on one or several targets, rather then everyone at one time. Otherwise, you get a mass confusion and headache. I would say we pick someone, and question them. I'm not big on randomly selecting one person to lynch though, only because it's a 7/9 chance it's a townie. Which doesn't give us good odds in terms of "guessing."

I also noticed Nevermind, you laughed when you quoted something I had said. Again, it's the same principle that you guys tend to use. Randomly select someone to lynch. Well if that's the case, pick somebody who isn't contributing to the town, or somebody who isn't active right now and it'll seem like you're not losing much help. Rather if you lynched somebody who's been active or posting, then you lose an active contributer. See the difference? I'm not saying it's not a big deal to lose a townie, I'm saying in terms of what you guys tend to be doing, I'd rather lose someone who doesn't seem to be very active in the first place, then to lose Ups or Me (take it cocky if you want, I don't care) if I was another person looking in on the situation.

Another thing to Ups:

I haven't suggested lynching anybody until the last post? I have just been "targeting" people with words to try and get them to talk. It has nothing to do with lynching or trying to condemn anyone... maybe you should reread what I've been saying.
Show
Total Games Played:

Last Editted:
9-29-11

#1. 5-2 Scum
#2. 3-6 Town
#3. 0-1 3rd Party
Archaebob
-

Me=Weird
-
neil1113
neil1113
Mafia Scum
neil1113
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Post by neil1113 »

And wait, first you call me a "passive player" which makes me scum, then you say I'm "lynching without proper evidence" which makes me scum... which one is it? Because you just contradicted yourself there my friend, and if you're interested in targeting me so be it, but please get your story correct.
Show
Total Games Played:

Last Editted:
9-29-11

#1. 5-2 Scum
#2. 3-6 Town
#3. 0-1 3rd Party
Archaebob
-

Me=Weird
-
Ups
Ups
Townie
Ups
Townie
Townie

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Post by Ups »

neil1113 wrote:And wait, first you call me a "passive player" which makes me scum, then you say I'm "lynching without proper evidence" which makes me scum... which one is it? Because you just contradicted yourself there my friend, and if you're interested in targeting me so be it, but please get your story correct.
Yes, the timing was off as your large post in which you voted came out 2 minutes before mine, and I was not aware that it existed when I clicked submit. In any case, it was difficult to get anything done today when few people were active, but I hope that will change tomorrow when there will hopefully will be more constructive activity.
Vinicius Chaim
Vinicius Chaim
Townie
Vinicius Chaim
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Post by Vinicius Chaim »

hello guys
it's my very first game, so I've got some doubts like
what is FoS?
oh and

vote: civil scum for being scum even in his name

Format for voting is

Code: Select all

[b]Vote: Person you want to vote[/b]
or

Code: Select all

[vote]Person you want to vote[/vote]
Last edited by bird1111 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nevermind
nevermind
Goon
nevermind
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Post by nevermind »

read rules >.>
(bold votes)
and FoS stands for "Finger of Suspicion"
basically means you're suspicious of someone.
Vinicius Chaim
Vinicius Chaim
Townie
Vinicius Chaim
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Post by Vinicius Chaim »

about votes, I know, it wasn't suposed to be serious...
thanks anyway ;)
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Post by Civil Scum »

Welcome Chaim. I'm glad that vote didn't count ...
I'm all Civil this game I assure you. :P
neil wrote: He's a bit more experienced according to the boards...
What do you mean, "according to the boards" ?
What boards?
neil wrote: ...therefore he can play "Town" a lot easier then others
I would like to disagree with you on this point. It maybe relatively common that Ic's get "automatic town points" because of
their IC status. But a completely green player could have a natural aptitude for the game, or could be a good liar or faker.
And some people are terrible liars who could play 20 games and still be bad at playing scum. I think it's more of a player by player basis.
If I were playing with someone irl, for example, and thought they were very good, I'd find myself watching them
a little more closely than usual. But that's a person by person basis, and not based on number of games played. You're already
planning to treat/observe me closer based on my status...

That said, I do consider myself a decent player ^^

Not sure how I feel about your calling someone out for "avoiding lurking" ( x= posting ??) this early. You might be a little
over zealous in your accusations so early. And attemtping to fabricate evidence. Finger pointing straight away...

nevermind wrote: wait how did you know? cop doesn't have investigation yet, so you must be my partner!
vote: civil
Damn...well, we blew it.

Answers to Questions- Part 1:

-Personally, I prefer the RVS. The other accepted format is the Random-Question-Stage. I've been in a few games with the latter opening.
And while it does generate a lot posting and content, it doesn't seem to be as good at starting an F11.

-The Random-Voting-Stage generally ends by itself, in a way. I mean one player, or more, have to be becoming serious about a point
or accusation, or someone slips up, or whatever, but it's more of a natural progression (imo). People do often claim to have been the one
that ended the RVS. But it's still the RVS until multiple people (or the game itself) stop being random/silly.

-That would be a slow start! It's only a matter of time in my experience. ALthough that would be pretty dead if the RVS continued on and on.
SOmetimes player's chat and joke around for a few pages. But sooner or later, someone's gonna go, 'Hey so-and-so, that was a really WEIRD joke.'

-I've never been in a game where one person got a lot of votes in the RVS. Although I've read games where people got sent to L-1 with random
votes by the second page. Imo, there is no maximum. But expect raised eyebrows from me if you're the third to jump on.

-Here, you've answered your own question? If you mean the question in terms of "can a human being really behave randomly", I'm sure
there has been an enormous amount of interesting discussion on that in scientific literature. I believe it's generally accpeted that,
whatever means are used, or whatever joke/reason accompanies the vote, a person's random vote is, for all intents and purposes, random.
Even if no one placed a second vote on anyone else during the first voting, especially with the last two players to vote,
who one way or another (or by all appearances)
chose
to vote for someone who didn't have a vote yet, rather than voting for someone who already had a vote,
there's not much useful information that can be taken away from that "choice", or that hesitation to place the second/third vote. There's plenty of
reasons why both a scum and a townie might avoid doing that. There's no statistics supporting the idea that a scum would avoid BW'ing that early more than a townie
would. And even if there were statistics, it'd soon be null because its a simple controlled behavior that people could manipulate
too easily.

(All views expressed herein reflect the opinions and views of it's author, and in no way represent -true- reality)

Part 2: The End

Sorry about the length here, especially when we may have some interesting developments here.

IC comment:
Ups wrote: Yes, the timing was off as your large post in which you voted came out 2 minutes before mine, and I was not aware that it existed when I clicked submit.
Simultaneous post. Usually, in this event, a person begins their next post with "SIMUL:"
To clarify that they hadnt seen the post before their's when they posted, and to clear up any of the misunderstanding or confusion that
can result from simultaneous posting. It happens more frequently in games than one might think.

Ups wrote: What if no one reacts to anything? - Make a reaction, I guess. Perhaps by starting a bandwagon and gauging reactions, but it really shouldn't get to that point.
I really liked this answer. Actively provoking a response from people is a fairly common tactic used to considerable effect by many players.
Ups wrote: ...lynching people without proper evidence building is anti-town.
Though I think its excusable in cases of extreme frustration, this is also definitely true.
Ups wrote: That line sounds to me like you want to appear to be scumhunting, without actually taking a stand. That type of passive play is weak for town.
I can definitely see where you are coming from on this. Neil's answer was satisfactory for me.

Alright Neil, since you've spoken out and spoken up, you are getting attention, and will cerainly get more:

neil wrote: All of these votes in such a short time... it seems like that'd be the mafia's goal right? To try and get a lynch going on us and try to take us out...
It's not really much of a risk at this stage of the game.

Now I don't want to flat-out say that this next quote of your's contradicts the first, but...
neil wrote: Alright, I'll follow this method just so that we can start eliminating people...
You take efforts to sound cautious and watchful, yet do at the same time come off as kinda trigger-happy. I'd even go so far as to say that it's a little
dishonest of you to accuse Ups of being inconsistent. Becasue I feel that you've gone both ways, on a sprint, passing between the two opposites
(by accusing him of a contradiction you are implying those behaviors are opposite) almost instantaneously. Sure you werent voting, but you have been the most serious
in your accusations thus far. The random votes get discussion going, they are not intended to lynch someone. Just because you random vote someone, doesnt mean
you want to kill them at this point. In fact, I would expect a townie player to understand that or to feel that way automatically. A scum could miss that...
Later in the game, a vote usually is more of a "kill someone" or pressure them to defend themselves from getting hung. But just about every other player in unusual there,
brand new players included, if you asked them if they wanted to kill the person they put their random vote on, they would probably say "no." Right?
I think its a rather unusual perspective for the situation. This quote above alone, is highly unusual.

neil wrote: if you're interested in targeting me so be it, but please get your story correct.
Are you trying to not be defensive or trying to sound non-chalant about being targeted this early?

And hearing from everyone is essential. Sure, lynching people is great and it has to be done. But prefferably with some level of care and the fewest errors.
We get two misses (unless we have a doctor who pulls off two successful protections) and then we are at Lynch-or-Lose. Two misses and then if one of the remaining townies
places one wrong vote or makes one mistake, or is manipulated into making one mistake, we lose.

Yoenit, Spadille, Silver Bullet, steeeeeel waitin
Sorry about the length, wasnt supposed to happen.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Post by Civil Scum »

You might be overzelous and reaching in trying to accuse people, or you might be hyper-suspicious of everybody. I'm not sure which way I'm leaning yet. Help me neil
nevermind
nevermind
Goon
nevermind
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Post by nevermind »

here is my view:
long posts = really pro player
Spadille
Spadille
Goon
Spadille
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Post by Spadille »

Right! Just slept and the next day, we are out of RVS. And oh, an arguement.

Ups' questions:
I'd like to know the following from you:

1)What do you think of RVS in general?
2)Why haven't you voted yet?
RVS is a sacred thing to start an F11, nuff said.

I have voted, it's just Random.
Since we are out of RVS, already, I might as well
Unvote: Razgriz

Nevermind:
What do you think is the best way to start off an F11 (the setup we're playing)?
RVS.
How would you decide when to end RVS?
What if no one reacts to anything?
random number generator, frivolous reasons, patterns, etc.
I decide to end the RVS when it already triggered a good arguement, and someone makes a wierd reaction.

If no one reacts to anything then it's time for a bandwagon not exceeding L-2.

When in RVS, L-3. When serious, L-1. When just creating a bandwagon, L-2.

It is random when it is random, I don't think this matters. Random is random. If it is not random, it is not random.

Neil1113:
And from previous games I've played, it's a Mafia's dream to confuse the town because then the town has no leg to stand on and the phase ends with "1 vote here, 1 vote there, 1 vote everywhere!" Does that make any sense?
It's not supposed to make sense, it's random. It's only scummy when it happens in the game's climax or somewhere near it.
Pick somebody who isn't contributing to the town, or somebody who isn't active right now and it'll seem like you're not losing much help. Rather if you lynched somebody who's been active or posting, then you lose an active contributer.
Are you suggesting to lynch early in game?
I'm not saying it's not a big deal to lose a townie
That's exactly what you are saying.
I'd rather lose someone who doesn't seem to be very active in the first place, then to lose Ups or Me (take it cocky if you want, I don't care)
Aha, that is suspicious.

FoS: Ups and Neil1113

I'm seeing an early team-up here.

I am open for any objections.
"
Spadille
? Because the name 'Ace Of Spades' is already taken."

No, seriously. I'm one of those town guys.
neil1113
neil1113
Mafia Scum
neil1113
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Post by neil1113 »

Alright, if you can bare with me...
Civil Scum wrote:
neil wrote: He's a bit more experienced according to the boards...
What do you mean, "according to the boards" ?
What boards?
Meaning, with these boards your used to the play here. Therefore you know the game a little better, which doesn't mean I think your scum, but it means I shouldn't be completely oblivious to your posts either... just in case. I'm overzealous if anything. It's as if you're in a locked room with 7 people, lights go out, gun fires, person dies, lights come back on... do you look at the school teacher or the gun owner first? Now granted, this isn't the best picture painted but it's the idea that the gun person knows how to use a gun and probably has the ability to. Thus, you won't really accuse them because of their job or who they are, but you'd be wary of them because of their "experience."
Civil Scum wrote:
neil wrote: ...therefore he can play "Town" a lot easier then others
I would like to disagree with you on this point. It maybe relatively common that Ic's get "automatic town points" because of
their IC status. But a completely green player could have a natural aptitude for the game, or could be a good liar or faker.
And some people are terrible liars who could play 20 games and still be bad at playing scum. I think it's more of a player by player basis.
If I were playing with someone irl, for example, and thought they were very good, I'd find myself watching them
a little more closely than usual. But that's a person by person basis, and not based on number of games played. You're already
planning to treat/observe me closer based on my status...

That said, I do consider myself a decent player ^^
I can see where you're coming from here. But again, it's just the idea that you have experienced compared to the person who has never played mafia. I pointed you out specifically because you're one of the few here who have evidence to experience.
Civil Scum wrote: Not sure how I feel about your calling someone out for "avoiding lurking" ( x= posting ??) this early. You might be a little
over zealous in your accusations so early. And attemtping to fabricate evidence. Finger pointing straight away...
Originally I finger pointed and didn't vote for the reason of response. I wanted people to respond. I don't believe I fabricated anything, and I sure hope I didn't. If I did, I apologize but please show me? Finger pointing, again was for the purpose of getting people to talk. Like you. >_>
Civil Scum wrote:
Ups wrote: ...lynching people without proper evidence building is anti-town.
Though I think its excusable in cases of extreme frustration, this is also definitely true.
Ups wrote: That line sounds to me like you want to appear to be scumhunting, without actually taking a stand. That type of passive play is weak for town.
I can definitely see where you are coming from on this. Neil's answer was satisfactory for me.
I'm not sure if you were looking for an answer to these, so if so please ignore this. But again I don't think I was "lynching" anyone without proper evidence and I went along with Ups lynch originally because I figured it'd help that guy (I forgot who it was... :/) come out and talk. If I've read correctly, he's been silent as well. If it got close to a lynch, I'd probably take my vote off. But then again, it's a "Yeah, sure you would Neil..." and I really can't show you anything else to prove otherwise, just watch me play and see for yourself how I play. Unfortunately you don't know my play though, in which I need to be more careful in my actions... I will admit that.
Civil Scum wrote:Alright Neil, since you've spoken out and spoken up, you are getting attention, and will cerainly get more:
Great... I love attention.
Civil Scum wrote:
neil wrote: All of these votes in such a short time... it seems like that'd be the mafia's goal right? To try and get a lynch going on us and try to take us out...
It's not really much of a risk at this stage of the game.

It's not much of a risk at this stage of the game? You do realize you have a 2/9 chance of getting scum, and a whopping 7/9 chance of getting town? Although now that I reread what you said, I think I read it wrong the first time. I did jump to conclusions about everyone voting, thinking they were doing it for the sole purpose of lynching, in which I spoke out. Stupid of me now that I assess the situation, and I apologize about that.

Now I don't want to flat-out say that this next quote of your's contradicts the first, but...
neil wrote: Alright, I'll follow this method just so that we can start eliminating people...
Again read above, I "didn't" want to come right out and say I was planning on scaring people to talk, as I'd much rather think they are in danger of being lynched. If not, then what's the point of voting for someone? Do you think they'd really talk?
Civil Scum wrote:1. You take efforts to sound cautious and watchful, yet do at the same time come off as kinda trigger-happy.

2. I'd even go so far as to say that it's a little dishonest of you to accuse Ups of being inconsistent. Becasue I feel that you've gone both ways, on a sprint, passing between the two opposites (by accusing him of a contradiction you are implying those behaviors are opposite) almost instantaneously. Sure you werent voting, but you have been the most serious in your accusations thus far.

3. The random votes get discussion going, they are not intended to lynch someone. Just because you random vote someone, doesnt mean
you want to kill them at this point. In fact, I would expect a townie player to understand that or to feel that way automatically. A scum could miss that...
Later in the game, a vote usually is more of a "kill someone" or pressure them to defend themselves from getting hung. But just about every other player in unusual there, brand new players included, if you asked them if they wanted to kill the person they put their random vote on, they would probably say "no." Right? I think its a rather unusual perspective for the situation. This quote above alone, is highly unusual.
1. Again, I'm not "trigger-happy." I'm wanting this game to get off the ground quickly and rolling. Again as Ups so nicely pointed out, I was saying things but I wasn't "voting" for anyone for the sole purpose of I wanted to get people to talk by calling them out with words rather then "Vote: Whoever" and them having to respond more so out of defense and fear for being lynched rather then honesty and confidence which most people lack when they are on the defensive. Which while I'm on this subject, UNVOTE: Something999 I hope that works, I just forgot the persons name. >_>

2. Is being passive and trigger happy not opposites? If you're passive, you wouldn't even be shooting the gun in the first place, now would you? That said, I'm not going every which way, I was very direct with the positions I took. I wanted Ups to talk, he did just that so he was not someone I was pressuring anymore. Then I had you to talk, in when I saw what's his name vote for me and his reasoning behind it, it looked scum to me so I pointed it out to see what he had to say to it. And I believe he's read it several times since then (though I could be wrong) and has yet to defend himself against it. So I'm still sticking with that story. Like I said originally, a "hey whats up with you?" would get someone to respond one way, a "hey, who are you" gets someone with a totally different response. If I didn't do that well, I apologize but that was my intent.

3. Again this was my goal, though I will admit I did overlook the fact of all the votes. Most other games I've played for, we didn't just throw out votes. We threw out questions and accusations, which is why when I saw the votes it took me by surprise. I know you said a scum could miss that, and I apologize for missing that but I can assure you I am not scum. I wouldn't be outing myself like this if I was scum, and come to think about it I don't know if putting myself in the spotlight is good for being town either. Because if I'm not lynched by you guys, which I really don't think I will be, I'll probably be getting killed tonight because of being so outspoken. :(
Civil Scum wrote:
neil wrote: if you're interested in targeting me so be it, but please get your story correct.
Are you trying to not be defensive or trying to sound non-chalant about being targeted this early?
Neither actually, I don't mind people targeting me because I don't have anything to hide? Though if more votes get on me, I will get nervous. I don't think I'm trying to sound non-chalant, I just have confidence I guess? I could be wrong, which... would suck.

Now, changing motions I'll respond to Spadille. So, here's your response.
Spadille wrote:Right! Just slept and the next day, we are out of RVS. And oh, an arguement.
If you're referring to me, I wouldn't call it much of an argument. :)
Spadille wrote:Neil1113:
And from previous games I've played, it's a Mafia's dream to confuse the town because then the town has no leg to stand on and the phase ends with "1 vote here, 1 vote there, 1 vote everywhere!" Does that make any sense?
It's not supposed to make sense, it's random. It's only scummy when it happens in the game's climax or somewhere near it.
Sorry, I wasn't asking the theory in question if it made sense, I was asking if my response made sense.
Pick somebody who isn't contributing to the town, or somebody who isn't active right now and it'll seem like you're not losing much help. Rather if you lynched somebody who's been active or posting, then you lose an active contributer.
Are you suggesting to lynch early in game?
Not at all, if you read my responses to Civil, all of my questions were to beckon a response. An answer. Which is usually what questions do... Now if you're referring to that statement which you quoted slightly out of context, I was saying if you want to lynch in theory, it'd be better for... ect. It had nothing to do with an "early in the game" statement.
I'm not saying it's not a big deal to lose a townie
That's exactly what you are saying.
*sigh* if an argument is what you're looking for, I'll gladly back away from it. I have no desire to argue with you. I said what I said, sorry if you think otherwise.
I'd rather lose someone who doesn't seem to be very active in the first place, then to lose Ups or Me (take it cocky if you want, I don't care)
Aha, that is suspicious.
Figured somebody call this out, which is why I added the "take it cocky" part at the end. I'm confident that I'm a good contributer so too lose somebody like me in a game I was in, I'd be disappointed. It's taking myself in a third person view point. I like myself. You don't have to.
Spadille wrote:
FoS: Ups and Neil1113

I'm seeing an early team-up here.

I am open for any objections.
Me and Ups? You saw a team between us questioning each other? Can you please inform me how you got to that conclusion, because I don't see it.

So I hoped I answered your suspicions, and truthfully I kinda hope I concluded them where they were. If not, that stinks. :(

Fixed the tags.
Last edited by bird1111 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show
Total Games Played:

Last Editted:
9-29-11

#1. 5-2 Scum
#2. 3-6 Town
#3. 0-1 3rd Party
Archaebob
-

Me=Weird
-
Yoenit
Yoenit
Townie
Yoenit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:37 pm

Post by Yoenit »

neil1113 wrote:[Wall of quotes and comments]
Wowha! TLDR. I think it would increase readability if you reply to one person at the time, instead of several in one post.

Questions:
- What is forum policy with regards to quoting other posts and length and stuff
- What do L-1, L-2 and L-3 mean?
Vinicius Chaim
Vinicius Chaim
Townie
Vinicius Chaim
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:19 am

Post by Vinicius Chaim »

FoS: neil

trying to make people vote in the IC so soon doesn't seems a good strategy for me
Razgriz
Razgriz
Goon
Razgriz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:47 am

Post by Razgriz »

UNVOTE: neil

No more RVS, no more random votes.
neil1113 wrote:Also, Raz come to think about it... I may have posted the most helpful information so far for the town, and it would make since for you to vote for me out if you're scum. And your list wasn't much help for you either considering these factors...

1. You put yourself as second in order to show "I almost voted for myself" in which any person skimming over it could think to themselves, "well, he must not have made it up!"
Well I seriously added the side comment to crack a joke which I figured someone would figure that out with the O_o at the side

2. Your next choice was Silverbullet, who ironically was JUST mentioned above you.
Hey don't blame me blame random.org

3. Then you went on to include Yoenit as he was online at the same time you and I were.
He was? I don't really stalk the bottom of the list to see who is online

and finally 4. As I stated above, it'd make sense for scum to try and vote out someone who is contributing to the town. It WOULDN'T make sense for a townie to try to vote out somebody who's giving helpful information to the town...
Ok first off, yes I notice you are helping to town, but it is RVS. The time to F around and vote anyone. It's not like I started a bandwagon. Secondly, alot of time, from expeirence(Spelling? Too tired to check it right now) the person most actively scum hunting, flips mafia. Not saying that is the case, or my case at voting you, because all I did was headover and use random.org. Also you seem abit eager to get rid of someone...
Show
We'll put a boot in your ass it's the American way!
Roll Tide Roll #1 Alabama 4-0 this season
Mafiascum Record:
Town 1-1
Mafia 0-0
3rd Party 0-0

All-Time Record
Town 5-3
Mafia 4-3
3rd Party 3-1
Jester(Still part of 3rd party): 1-0

Olinea: "But I'll only stop scumhunting when I'm dead."

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”