GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:05 am

Post by GhostWriter »

Allow me to elaborate:

I do not actually think you have an investigative role. However, that post was very well written, up until that point. In the future, just leave that part out.
jimfinn
jimfinn
Goon
jimfinn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:07 am

Post by jimfinn »

I'm describing my D1 meta as a whole in that post, without regard to this game. I was not intending to imply that I have or do not have an investigative role, and neither should be assumed. I just did not want to confuse those who had seen me in other games.
Welcome to The Minigame Race! A fun challenge of your skills at many, many games. Challenge 1: 9 players remain
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15354
Mariyta
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:07 am

Post by Mariyta »

jimfinn wrote:To those who have not played with me before: I don't post all that much in the early stages of games in general, unless I see something that gives me a strong read. I tend to wait until my reads are stronger, so that I don't backtrack or lead others the wrong direction. Especially when I have a PR with some form of investigation, I am relatively inactive on D1 in order to allow my power to help me develop at least one of my reads.
This is not an acceptable excuse, IMO. I don't even know what to say to rest of it. I mean, why on earth would you say that? As GW has already stated, it's unlikely that you actually possess that role, or you would've kept it a secret as long as possible. If you do, well, bah.
Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
-Susan Ertz

Whoever thinks grammar is not important, think again. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
GhostWriter
GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:09 am

Post by GhostWriter »

I'm actually fine with Jim for now though. I cannot wait to she him live up to this.
Locke Lamora
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:33 am

Post by Locke Lamora »

Jim: if you're town, but cautious and don't post much on D1, it hurts town later on when people are trying to get a read on you. Just because what you do now might not be immediately relevant, it doesn't mean it won't be relevant later in the game.

Coach Travis: just because scum don't need to figure out alignments doesn't mean they don't post their reads. Posting townreads is much safer than posting scumreads because you're not putting pressure on anyone, you're not likely to attract too much attention and you're not leaving a trail of votes or suspicions. Seen anything you find scummy since your last post?

Shotty: do you still love your vote?
If ya smell what The Locke is cookin'!

"Locke Lamora and Andrius, defying all logic since 1081."
GhostWriter
GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:35 am

Post by GhostWriter »

GhostWriter wrote:I'm actually fine with Jim for now though. I cannot wait to she him live up to this.
That should be "see", not "she"...
mongoose
mongoose
Goon
mongoose
Goon
Goon

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Post by mongoose »

I dont see the bread crumbing. elaborate please. I dont really have a read on Jim anymore, maybe because a similar thing happened to me in my first game. Maybe I'm partial, or maybe its too provable and simplistic for the mafia to use as a excuse. IDK
Go Hawkeyes!
mongoose
mongoose
Goon
mongoose
Goon
Goon

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Post by mongoose »

Oh wait, I forgot to read page 7. never mind. I'm pretty sure hes town, as stated above.
Go Hawkeyes!
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Post by Coach Travis »

Alright, I was asked to give my thoughts on mongoose and jimfinn, so here they are:I'm still not liking mongoose, I realize my initial vote was weak as I didn't give reasoning(which if I were to have would have been to say his post was a)confusing to read(I had no clue what he was trying to say) and b)didn't contribute much of anything), but since then my read has strengthened due to his outright lying of saying I agreed with him on something when clearly looking at the two posts, they say different things, so that doesn't look good on him. He still hasn't contributed much aside from voting me. he hasn't really given his thoughts on other players all that much.

As for jimfinn:
jimfinn wrote:To those who have not played with me before: I don't post all that much in the early stages of games in general, unless I see something that gives me a strong read. I tend to wait until my reads are stronger, so that I don't backtrack or lead others the wrong direction. Especially when I have a PR with some form of investigation, I am relatively inactive on D1 in order to allow my power to help me develop at least one of my reads.
With a post like that, I think anyone suspicious of my consistently giving town reads should be more concerned with something like this, where he's not even trying to contribute anything, or give any reads. I'm not sure if he's scummy, because that type of play is hard to read, which is why I won't vote him now(I vote for people I find scummy, not people I find useless), but he's definitely someone to look out for.
Locke Lamora wrote: Coach Travis: just because scum don't need to figure out alignments doesn't mean they don't post their reads. Posting townreads is much safer than posting scumreads because you're not putting pressure on anyone, you're not likely to attract too much attention and you're not leaving a trail of votes or suspicions. Seen anything you find scummy since your last post?
The thing is, I have posted one scum read, so you can't say I've made zero effort in catching scum, or putting pressure on anyone. So far I just haven't noticed that much suspicious behavior, as a lot of the activity so far has been around null things or jokes, so it's been easier to spot the players trying to help contribute content than those doing anything particularly scummy. And I post reads whenever I get them, so in a game like this, it's obvious I'll be posting more town reads because I'm having a hard time finding scum.

And no, I read through everything since my last post, and again, a lot of it was on null stuff(buddying, replacing out, jimfinn, etc.) so I couldn't find anything really interesting or scummy going on.
mongoose
mongoose
Goon
mongoose
Goon
Goon

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:47 pm

Post by mongoose »

[quote='coach travis']
The thing is, I have posted one scum read, so you can't say I've made zero effort in catching scum, or putting pressure on anyone. So far I just haven't noticed that much suspicious behavior, as a lot of the activity so far has been around null things or jokes, so it's been easier to spot the players trying to help contribute content than those doing anything particularly scummy. And I post reads whenever I get them, so in a game like this, it's obvious I'll be posting more town reads because I'm having a hard time finding scum[/quote]

You realize you could say the exact same thing for me. If you are doing this, why are you voting me for doing the same?
Go Hawkeyes!
Mariyta
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:08 am

Post by Mariyta »

mongoose wrote:
coach travis wrote: The thing is, I have posted one scum read, so you can't say I've made zero effort in catching scum, or putting pressure on anyone. So far I just haven't noticed that much suspicious behavior, as a lot of the activity so far has been around null things or jokes, so it's been easier to spot the players trying to help contribute content than those doing anything particularly scummy. And I post reads whenever I get them, so in a game like this, it's obvious I'll be posting more town reads because I'm having a hard time finding scum
You realize you could say the exact same thing for me. If you are doing this, why are you voting me for doing the same?
I disagree with this. Coach Travis has been more active and helpful than you, even with the lack of scum reads.

I need a nap, and then I'm going to figure out the vote count, as I have no idea where anyone stands.
Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
-Susan Ertz

Whoever thinks grammar is not important, think again. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
mongoose
mongoose
Goon
mongoose
Goon
Goon

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:25 am

Post by mongoose »

coach travis wrote: The thing is, I have posted one scum read, so you can't say I've made zero effort in catching scum, or putting pressure on anyone.
I have done the same.
So far I just haven't noticed that much suspicious behavior, as a lot of the activity so far has been around null things or jokes
Again, same
, so it's been easier to spot the players trying to help contribute content than those doing anything particularly scummy.
anyone can post saying "that was a good post". It doesn't help at all.
And I post reads whenever I get them
as do I
, so in a game like this, it's obvious I'll be posting more town reads because I'm having a hard time finding scum
again, ditto. Unless you want me to post every time some one makes a good post
Mari, helpfulness has nothing to do with if you are scum or not. No one ever seems to call me helpful, and I always seem to get lynched (see SSBB, hide and seek, bondoox). I am not that good at making reads, and I make short posts. that has gotten me lynched in 2/3 games Ive played here, the third where I was almost lynched but saved because of a mass role claim. Maybe because I get lynched off these pointless "scum tells" is the reason I am so hesitant to point my finger at someone and say that they are scum, because 90% of the time they can say the same thing back. When I do accuse someone, I get a response saying I do the same thing. Just like here. And now if I accuse anyone else, guess what happens.
Go Hawkeyes!
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:46 am

Post by charter »

VOTE COUNT

Coach Travis - 3 (mongoose, horrordude0215, Locke Lamora)
rajrhcpfreak - 1 (drmyshottyizsik)
jimfinn - 1 (Mariyta)
mongoose - 4 (Antihero, inHimshallibe, Coach Travis, GhostWriter)
inHimshallibe - 1 (Kdub)
drmyshottyizsik - 2 (rajrhcpfreak, jimfinn)

NOT VOTING

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch! Deadline is October 3rd, Noon.
Last edited by charter on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mariyta
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:02 am

Post by Mariyta »

mongoose wrote:Mari, helpfulness has nothing to do with if you are scum or not. No one ever seems to call me helpful, and I always seem to get lynched (see SSBB, hide and seek, bondoox). I am not that good at making reads, and I make short posts. that has gotten me lynched in 2/3 games Ive played here, the third where I was almost lynched but saved because of a mass role claim. Maybe because I get lynched off these pointless "scum tells" is the reason I am so hesitant to point my finger at someone and say that they are scum, because 90% of the time they can say the same thing back. When I do accuse someone, I get a response saying I do the same thing. Just like here. And now if I accuse anyone else, guess what happens.
Your first sentence is totally not true. Scum intentionally try to be unhelpful while seeming the exactly opposite. Scum tells exist for the purpose of finding scum. If they didn't work, they wouldn't be employed so often. True, they're not 100% accurate and townies are often lynched due to a misread tell, but without them, I don't think mafia would be very playable in general. If you find that your play is getting you lynched more often than not early on in the game, take a look at your past games and figure out where things went wrong. Look at some of the more respected players and their games. It's a learning experience. We all go through it.

Thanks for the VC, mod!!
-Susan Ertz

inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:18 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

GhostWriter wrote:
GhostWriter wrote:I'm actually fine with Jim for now though. I cannot wait to she him live up to this.
That should be "see", not "she"...
Yet still no unvote?

unvote
vote: GhostWriter

Tricksy scum.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:30 am

Post by Antihero »

inhim, that vote is aweful.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
GhostWriter
GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:42 am

Post by GhostWriter »

It really is. Tell me, where do you think my vote is?
GhostWriter
GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:50 am

Post by GhostWriter »

Wait a second, hold up there. Why the hell is my vote there?

Mod: I never voted Jim. My vote never left Mongoose.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:58 am

Post by charter »

Fixed.
horrordude0215
horrordude0215
Mafia Scum
horrordude0215
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:32 pm

Post by horrordude0215 »

Mariyta wrote:I like my vote because it doesn't seem like an "I'm really busy and signed up without thinking" replacement. It seems like a "Well, crap. I signed up, got scum, and I don't like playing scum. This game sucks." Others may not see it that way, but Raz had a couple votes on him and he obviously was interested when he signed up (or why would he sign up?). It seems like a pathetic excuse to me. And I don't agree with the excuse that it's a slow start. Most games start a bit slow. If you want immediate action, don't start games; replace into them halfway through, instead. I hope his replacement proves me wrong, but my vote stays for now.
I don't like this, ftr. It seems like a weak attempt at a case. Why is replacing out scummy? Because he was supposedly pegged as scum and left? He said it was for lack of interest, IIRC, so I really don't think that it qualifies here.
FoS

Mariyta wrote:
horrordude0215 wrote:Coach Travis is town
horrordude, what was this about?
Can I ask why you want to know?
mongoose wrote:also, mari, Horrordude voted for Coach travis.
Where did this come from?
Mariyta wrote:
also, mari, Horrordude voted for Coach travis.
Yes, hence the question. Please let him speak for himself, unless, of course, you're afraid your scum buddy will give himself away if he does. :lol:
That's what I thought you were talking about lol... I said that in RVS because Coach Travis said that he liked the raiders. After all, no raiders fan could be scum, right? :lol:
GhostWriter wrote:
Mariyta wrote:
GhostWriter wrote:So he's like Mongoose, but he's not Mongoose, making you fine with voting him?

I understand seeing him as scummy. As my previous post mentioned, I don't like the discussion he so willingly just threw himself into. However, that vote essentially says what my first line in this post says.
They're both doing the same thing. Everyone is focusing on mongoose and ignoring jim. Jim needs a little pressure, too. Does it upset you that he is no longer flying under the radar?
Oh, that's fun, let's point fingers at people and imply them as scum. I could do that, and say something along the lines of "does it upset you that Mongoose is getting such a huge bandwagon". But that's rather pointless, isn't it? I think so.
Uh... isn't that what you just did?
Unvote, Vote: Ghostwriter

Antihero wrote:mari, I've had a fairly solid townread on you for the past few pages (I've been giving you the benefit of the doubt on your persuit of a few red herrings), but the OMGUS and subsequent backtracking doesn't look good.
This almost seems like coaching to me...

And sorry for not posting... had internet trouble this weekend and just got it back
The Clown is Town. The Clown also uses "they" pronouns. Don't be a dick about it?
I know it's weird given the username, but "horrorperson" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:38 pm

Post by Antihero »

horrordude wrote:This almost seems like coaching to me...
This looks like an absurd reach to me...
Mariyta
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:21 pm

Post by Mariyta »

Yes, he did
say
it was due to lack of interest. As I said before, Locke's play has been satisfactory, so I removed my vote and we've moved on.
horrordude0215 wrote:I said that in RVS because Coach Travis said that he liked the raiders. After all, no raiders fan could be scum, right? :lol:
That's what I thought, but wanted to be clear. Also, did you finish reading the thread before voting GhostWriter? We cleared that entire mess up already.
-Susan Ertz

Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Post by Kdub »

This behavior is not necessarily scummy, it's just bad town play.
GhostWriter wrote:I do not actually think you have an investigative role. However, that post was very well written, up until that point. In the future, just leave that part out.
Mariyta wrote:This is not an acceptable excuse, IMO. I don't even know what to say to rest of it. I mean, why on earth would you say that? As GW has already stated, it's unlikely that you actually possess that role, or you would've kept it a secret as long as possible. If you do, well, bah.
These two posts caught my attention a bit. Based on the possible roles in the setup, there is only one possible investigative role, and that role can't use it on N1 because it requires 14 points, which isn't possible on the first day. It should have been immediately clear that jim was not breadcrumbing a N1 investigation, and I am a bit suspicious that attention was being drawn to it possibly in an attempt to get him to say more about his role.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Mafia - 17-player large theme, currently needs (0) replacements
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Post by Antihero »

The fact that kdub continues to go after townish looking players is troubling me...
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

Indeed it was a bad call, based on the actual circumstances.

unvote

Be back in a bit.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”