Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2675 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:19 pm

Post by Seacore »

Themes

Day 1 - Hand of the King (elect a double voter)

Day 2 - Mob attack (secret voting to remove PR ability for the whole game and remove vote ability for the day)

Day 3 - Sept prayer (vote for mod confirm)

Day 4 - Wildfire (double lynch)

Day 5 - Royal Wedding (private QT threads during the day)

Okay, the themes went well, I thought.

The awesomeness of the Mob attack was diverted by CSL's random VT claim. That worked well for town, so good for him.

The sept prayer nominations didn't work as we expected, we needed to alter the rules to prevent everybody from nominating themselves

Royal wedding didn't happen because we thought it would be disruptive instead of interesting.
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2676 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Post by Benmage »

I'm trying to think how I can be a compulsive vig in the next game. I think Lady Stoneheart for a Feast of Crows would work.

ASoS...hrmm...Ghost?
"ITT Benmage is making Shakespeare look cool. I need to bring you to my high school." -Vi
"If i must blantantly follow somone a player cannot do better than blindly following benmage" - tubby216
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2677 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:28 pm

Post by Seacore »

If people really want to discuss the draw issue, please go here
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #2678 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

OK, having read the dead thread, there are a few things I'd like to address as regards the Day 6, Night 6, Day 7 situation. Interesting fact: Everyone who was dead knew (mod-confirmed) that Magna and I were Greyjoy and Lanny scum respectively. We did not. That plays a very important role in my decision making.

At the start of Day 6, both VP and I were pretty sure that Magna was Greyjoy, but we weren't sure. Our path to victory was as follows: Lynch the Greyjoy, get the game to some endgame that included diddin, and try to get a diddin lynch. We knew that this would be hard, given that both Richard and Thor were pretty much solid on their diddin-town reads, but this was our hope.

Of course, the day started out against us, and we had to defend. I realized the thing with Magna and CSL having to vote for each other by pure logic of guaranteed scum-ness, and that's when things went wonky. I
really
think that it makes no sense for the townie in that situation to vote for me. He's looking at a 100% guaranteed scum, and me vs. diddin. Even if he thinks that the Mac hydra is 95% likely scum, the Greyjoy is the
correct
person to be voting. So, the fact that CSL was going against it, and did so twice!, while Magna did not, made VP and me rethink everything. That connections post was legitimate; I became convinced over my re-read that CSL was Greyjoy.

One other thing I looked at (and obviously couldn't bring up to town) was at Magna's breadcrumb. In the Lanny QT, we almost immediately shared fakeclaims, and treated them as a pool to draw from. I figured that there was a good chance that the Greyjoys did too. In which case, it wouldn't make a ton of sense to lock yourself into one (Hodor) that early. So, I looked real hard for other breadcrumbs like that, and couldn't find any. By the end of Day 6, VP and I were almost positive that CSL was Greyjoy.

Once he flipped town, we were in a bind. I actually looked at all of the various options, examining what would happen in any given pair of kills scenario. Obviously, we weren't going to kill diddin. I was also almost positive that Magna wasn't going to kill either diddin or us. Not realizing that Magna actually had incriminating evidence on us, we assumed that he would leave diddin and us alone, because he couldn't be the last scum left with two or three townies; he would have lost immediately. So, examining the other options, were were left with a pretty shitty situation. Killing Magna either puts us into a pretty much immediate loss (diddin, Richard, us), or a hard last day (diddin, Thor, us), and we can't know which. Killing Richard puts us in kingmaker situations (diddin, Magna, us, maybe plus Thor). Thor, you weren't on our list simply because you were slightly friendlier to us than Richard was.

Then I had the idea for a No Kill. Contrary to what VP was saying, I actually thought that we could convince a 4 person kingmaker to vote off obv-Greyjoy Magna and give us the win. Again, what we were thinking was that even if there was only a slight chance that diddin was scum, we weren't confirmed scum, while Magna was. If we fail to lynch Magna, we go No Lynch to Prisoner's Dilemma. Trying to lynch obv-scum Magna was our path to victory.

What we didn't consider was that Magna had evidence against us and would out us at the start of the day. At that point, I don't think there's any choice but to go for the shared win/draw/whatever you want to call it.

As for "integrity of the game", please stop. It all comes down to each person's relative value of win vs shared win/draw vs loss. In my opinion, the difference between a win and a draw was much less than the difference between a draw and a loss. The end. Maybe in your opinion, a draw is worth the exact same as a loss, but that's your opinion. I'm pleased with the outcome, and yes, I too would have been pretty bitter had Magna defected. But honestly, I would've been okay with it. It's only a game. (Then again, if Magna had defected, and we ever ended up in a PD together again, I would defect so fast, it would make your head spin.)
Yes, my fake claim is Innocent Aligned with the Town win condition as per the mod's first post.
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2679 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:33 pm

Post by Seacore »

Finally, before I actually do some work today, I'd like to thank (most) people for playing. Thanks for appreciating the work we put into the flavour text and just the overall flavour of the game.

A Song of Swords is being worked on. Faraday is reigning in some of my more whacky ideas (for the betterment of everybody). Don't bother to pre in yet, we'll come to you when we're closer to the game.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #2680 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Ninja'd. Sorry Seacore. Any additional discussion will go to proper thread.
Yes, my fake claim is Innocent Aligned with the Town win condition as per the mod's first post.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2681 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Well, that will give me a countdown timer for reading some books - I was having to try to skim some just to try to avoid spoilers.
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2682 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Post by Seacore »

Well I'll tell you one thing that doesn't happen in the books Thor, Tyrion Lannister does not treaty with Victarion Greyjoy and split the kingdom in two.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2683 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:45 pm

Post by Thor665 »

You lie!
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2684 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:09 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

I definitely enjoyed this game, even with my huge brain hiccup during the day of the tracking debacle. Like I said, I was just about to come in and vote Mac before I saw that Unsight had been hammered. Who knows how the game would have ended then?
But anyway, yeah, kudos to the mods, and sorry for throwing such a huge win condition wrench into the game right at the end there. Great flavor, great mechanics, all-around awesome. Except for me derping it up day 5, I felt like I played pretty well this game, which is actually kinda new for me. Which reminds me:

scum: why'd you leave me alive so long after being confirmed? I was very surprised about that.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2685 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:12 pm

Post by Seacore »

Cow, I don't blame you for the win condition issue. Like Faraday said, much better it be brought up earlier than later.
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2686 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:13 pm

Post by Seacore »

I wonder if there's a scummies award for game with the most active graveyard.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #2687 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:17 pm

Post by SpyreX »

I thought this was an amazing game and a little baffled that town tossed it away, but well played on the scum side!

Exceptional modding and flavor.

So, win or lose, lets take away from it the great game it was.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2688 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:26 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

hascow wrote:scum: why'd you leave me alive so long after being confirmed? I was very surprised about that.
You were just low priority for us I guess. Yes, you were confirmed and I agree with you that you were playing a good game, but you weren't really a direct threat to us there for a couple days and we had more strategic fish to fry.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2689 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Post by xvart »

This was a great game; probably one of the most fun games I've played, if not the most fun. I also followed along closely the entire game after I was dead. Having an active graveyard is helpful in that regard. I also want to echo Elli's question about how either Macavitar or MoI would have felt had they been backstabbed and NK'ed.

I'm a little upset that I got killed because the Greyjoy's thought I was a doctor, but those are the breaks. My forgetting that dana was my scumbuddy through all of day one helped me out a ton (as evidenced by Mina's read on me) and probably would have helped more had I survived to later in the game.

I voted for stabbing CSL because, although unlikely, I wanted to try and get rid of support for dana's lynch by removing his vote. I knew it probably wouldn't work but that was my reasoning behind stabbing him.

I have no problem sharing the Lannister QT (if it hasn't already been shared; can't remember). Did the Greyjoy's share theirs?

Excellent flavor; but I think my absolute favorite thing was the thread titles. They were hilarious and very clever. This is probably one of the only games where I actually read every word of flavor.

xvart.
I only read quote walls.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2690 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Post by xvart »

Nevermind, found the scum QT's in the roles.

xvart.
I only read quote walls.

MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #2691 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:32 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Post game notes

I guess I don't need to say much more than what I already said about end game. I'm happy I got there, and I'm pleased with the outcome. And I'm sorry if other people are disappointed by it.

As for Day 5, Mina's take (at one point of the Day) was exactly right. I had to kill Miku the night before, because he could just Watch and out me if I killed Locke first. (And yes, we realized that he was a Watcher.) I actually had this whole thing planned just in case Locke did survive and name-cop me: If you take a look at Mac-hydra's iso 34, you'll see a MILLER breadcrumb.
Macavitar wrote:
M
y gut was suggesting that Axelrod needed a closer look too.
I
definitely think there's something to that.
L
ook at his interactions with Percy and Raivann.
L
ook at his iso 13, where he claims that he wasn't a fan of Deer.
E
xcept he never voiced that in earlier posts, and it's not like he ever voted for Raiv.
R
eally like iso 20, where he reminds Raiv to claim, followed up by poo-pooing the vig claim in iso 22.
The plan was, if called out by Locke, to immediately claim Tyrion and say that we didn't realize that we were a miller until finding out that the cop in the game was actually a name-cop. I even figured that my big finger-point of trying to Raise myself as Hand of the King on Day 1 would act as an accidental breadcrumb. I doubt we would've survived it, but it's worth having the out just in case.

Once hascow came out with his vote, I was pretty sure that he'd Tracked me, since we did lose our cop, and the Watcher died too. (Other possibilities were regular cop or gunsmith-like, but I figured there was no way out of those, so just focus on what you can.) So, I cobbled together some things from a previous idea that I'd had (I think I mentioned Catelyn as a Brienne-Motivator at one point in the Lanny QT) and made the Mason Recruiter version. I knew it was ridiculously risky, and that N3 was the pitfall night. During N3, the only 3 pretty cleared townies whose names weren't in the open yet were hascow, Mina, and Benmage. And I had
killed
Benmage that night too. So, it was a toss-up, and I guessed wrong. The Meli-scum group breadcrumb is kind of funny. Our original fake claim was Maester Pylos, which we were considering spinning into a Doc. Meli-scum was my Pylos breadcrumb, given his (minor) role in the books [avoiding spoilers]. I only realized later that I could use it as a Catelyn breadcrumb too.

The rest was just needling and cajoling. I never expected to survive the Day, and everything after making people start to get nervous about lynching us was icing on the cake. At no point during that Day did I expect to survive, much less win/not lose. As I said in the hydra QT, any frustration or anger I was portraying in thread was a lie; I was loving every second of it. Mina, apparently I live to make you nervous, whether you're scum and think I'm SK, or this. Please please don't quit even if you are exhausted after this game; I really do enjoy playing with/against you. Also, I loved the fake claim request, some of the most fun I've ever had in a game was coming up with it.

I do feel bad about one post in this game, and that's the post where we switched our vote over to Unsight. I basically used the fact that we were a hydra as a strategic option, and I don't know if that's particularly fair. I'm sorry. But hey, if you want any proof that we were following the tenet of Playing to Win, it's right there.

Thanks again to Baltar for hydra'ing with me. I knew at the start of the game that I'd have the vacation, but I didn't know if I'd survive until then. He stepped right in and played a great game in my absense. And once we were both around and active, working with him was great. Any internal strife you saw in thread was manufactured as well. We agreed on most things, and were able to compromise for the rest.

Thanks to my scumbuddies. I've got to say xvart, seeing Budja's suicide was one of the funnier things I've ever seen in a game.

And thanks again to the mods! You put together a great game, and I really enjoyed it, as much as I find Large games a bit oppresive. The flavor was so well done, and the events really added interesting angles. I think you could argue a lot of different ways about balance. Given the amount of power the town had, I definitely felt under-powered. Also, Watcher vs RB as a scum role is an interesting debate. The Watcher might be less powerful, but it's a much more townie power. Nine scum is a lot, but then there are cross-kills. All told, I'd say balance was fine. The events especially weren't particularly pro- or anti-town, which I loved. Great job. I don't know if I can handle another complicated Large theme for ASoS, but I'll keep my eye out for it!
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2692 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Post by Benmage »

ML, on your claim. While it did wonders to the people in game..it was mind bottling to watch form the side line. I like MoI can be referenced in Supernatural to see my opinion on it. I'd be LYNCH LYNCH LYNCH no questions asked. But even so...it was a lot to swallow.

A questionable role claim. Tracked to a person wound up dead. A requirement to have been rb'd the night before.

A lot of maybes. Without my bias lynch a tracked person to a dead body no questions asked, thats a lot of "ifs" to accept. Sometimes the simplest answer is right. Regardless kudos for skating by with those in game.
"ITT Benmage is making Shakespeare look cool. I need to bring you to my high school." -Vi
"If i must blantantly follow somone a player cannot do better than blindly following benmage" - tubby216
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2693 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Post by xvart »

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Budja kill. I felt terrible about that because it was such an awesome role. I felt like getting the kill was a curse because of my tunneling on dana all of D1 and if I didn't kill dana that person could out me; even if in a very convoluted way (this was discussed in the Lion's Den). Sorry, Budja! And sorry mods for killing such an awesome role.

Also, I really enjoyed playing scum with MacavityLock. I learned a lot from playing with him and look forward to being scum again should the gods put us together again.

xvart.
I only read quote walls.

Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2694 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Post by Seacore »

Jaquen H'gar and Barristen Selmy were my two favourite PRs.

What did people think of the mason recruiter?

An original idea I had was that Barristen could invite one person a night, and by inviting them, it confirmed them as town. If he ever invited scum, everybody in the kingsguard died.

We decided that was far too swingy.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2695 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:49 pm

Post by Thor665 »

@Benmage - I'm surprised you JKed me, I thought you (like me) were leaving the one shot thing vague in order to draw a NK.

To those in the Dead QT who wondered why I didn't use it Day 1 or 2 - mostly it was because I was dumb apparently. I figured my likelihood of death Night 1 was very slim and felt the same way Night 2 (though that felt more of a gamble). I figured if I waited out a few days my shot would be more accurate and thus more helpful to town. I'm guessing the logic you believe in is shoot first, be confirmed town, and hopefully kill a VI or scum right off the bat for early flip info? I'll consider that. My excuse is that this was my first time as Vig, my first time with multiple scumteams, and my first Large, so I felt off my game for most of it but hopefully will be smarter next time.

Funny to see how the Lannys didn't sweat me and the Greyjoys had me down as serious consideration for a kill - the oddities of multiple scum teams.

I do promise to be more lynch happy on targets tracked to kills in the future, regardless of claims.
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2696 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:58 pm

Post by Benmage »

Thor665 wrote:@Benmage - I'm surprised you JKed me, I thought you (like me) were leaving the one shot thing vague in order to draw a NK.
Yeah, that was a misplay.
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2697 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Post by xvart »

Thor - I assumed you were purposely leaving whether or not you were one shot ambiguous because that is what I would have done. Also, my knowledge of Budja I didn't think there would be multiple kill vigs in the game.

xvart.
I only read quote walls.

Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2698 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Post by Thor665 »

vague=ambiguous, so...yes? I thought Benmage had picked up on it and was backing my play, which is what I was asking.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #2699 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Benmage wrote:ML, on your claim. While it did wonders to the people in game..it was mind bottling to watch form the side line. I like MoI can be referenced in Supernatural to see my opinion on it. I'd be LYNCH LYNCH LYNCH no questions asked. But even so...it was a lot to swallow.

A questionable role claim. Tracked to a person wound up dead. A requirement to have been rb'd the night before.

A lot of maybes. Without my bias lynch a tracked person to a dead body no questions asked, thats a lot of "ifs" to accept. Sometimes the simplest answer is right. Regardless kudos for skating by with those in game.
Yeah, I knew it was going to be risky coming out of the gate. But I also knew that I wanted to bring out my claim right away to defray suspicion, and come up with something plausible and reasonable. Give me a better claim that I could have made under those circumstances.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”