smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:54 pm

Post by smashbro_of_the_SSS »

Ok, been prodded. Welcome Admiral, good to have new someone participating. I'm seeing your points on Lew, but in my opinion he still seems more townish to me. I like your points on werewolf, and I'm leaning more and more toward him as scum.

to be honest, i can't think of much else to post right now, so I'll reread the last bit of the game in the morning and comment on more, but i still see mallowgeno as scum, and looking forward to seeing stuff from purple orange

Vote Count

Purple Orange (2) - implosion, werewolf555
werewolf555 (2) - saporovirus, Gonzoooo
Zhero (1) - don_johnson
Gonzoooo (1) - lewarcher82
mallowgeno (1) - smashbro_of_the_SSS
lewarcher82 (1) - ThAdmiral

Not Voting (4) - Purple Orange, Powerrox93, mallowgeno, Zhero

With 12 alive it is 7 to lynch. The deadline is set for the end of November 21st, PST.
Last edited by Alduskkel on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:51 pm

Post by ThAdmiral »

Purple Orange wrote:my gut impression was lewarcher as town, werewolf as mafia
Why?
smashbro_of_the_SSS wrote:I'm seeing your points on Lew, but in my opinion he still seems more townish to me.
Why?

@ wolf: way to not address the point in my post. Just bolding a bit isn't going to cut it, pal.
Don't ask me to provide self meta
Gonzoooo
Gonzoooo
Townie
Gonzoooo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:20 am

Post by Gonzoooo »

Mod, my vote is on werewolf I believe.

I'm not so sold on lew as scum Admiral. He's definitely not a solid town read or anything, but I do think there are better lynches than him today. Werewolf isn't high in my books obviously. Neither is Zhero and mallow is getting there. I'd prefer their lynches to lew today.
lewarcher82
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:30 am

Post by lewarcher82 »

ThAdmiral wrote:
don_johnson wrote:thad: if you think they are partners, can we start with werewolf?
I am more sure of lewarcher
+townpoints for Admiral for not accepting dj's suggestion.
Used to play a lot, haven't played for like 8 years, would like to play again.
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:19 am

Post by mallowgeno »

lewarcher82 wrote:When did I question your votes mallow? I only questioned your vote on me, which was first made without giving any reasons, and I was not the only one to note that. As you gave reasons, I unvoted you and moved on. So I am not sure what are the "votes" you are referring to. Can you please explain?
I was referring to the one time I voted you. I did explain after I voted. Since it was rvs I figured I didn't need to explain.
Purple Orange
Purple Orange
Goon
Purple Orange
Goon
Goon

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:27 am

Post by Purple Orange »

@ Admiral: Did you miss the part where I said I'd post a more substantive post sometime today?

werewolf555

His attacks and votes struck me as newb scum, having a field day, trying to be "helpful" and join the party and get someone lynched, rather than newb townie actually trying to find mafia.

For example, this first actual serious vote of his, which had some ridiculous reasoning:
werewolf555 wrote: This is quite a strange defense. He ate a trunk full of psilocybin???????
This is the dumbest thing that I have ever heard, seems like a scum buddy is trying to stick up for another.
Vote: Gonzoooo
But this post was the one that made me go, "zow, scum!"
werewolf555 wrote:Perhaps we should lynch Consig, and move from there on to (if he is scum) his most obvious scumbuddies should be lynched the following day.
The sheeping was blatant, and the way it was worded set off additional triggers, though I'm still having a hard time quantifying why.

The "we" is also a potential scumslip, implicating both him and lew, but it could also just be him talking to the whole town, suggesting a strategy that folks could take.

mallowgeno

Also suspicious to me because of quick sheeping is mallow, with his "I agree with DJ" post. Didn't find his apologetic backing off any better, and if anything, MORE suspicious.
mallowgeno wrote:The only reason I voted lewarcher was to humor Don.

unvote

I hate the rvs.
And what's with "humoring Don"? Why should he care what Don thought? Was there any reason for him to follow/humor Don over someone else?

His other posts have been throwaway comments, contributing nothing. At least werewolf sometimes actually tries to argue things.

I'm OK voting for either of these guys; both have been doing the "active lurker" thing (mallow moreso than werewolf). My argument for wolf is currently more subjective than my argument for mallow, so I'll
Vote: mallow
for now, so that I can at least get an opinion on record here.

Lewark

Reasons for initial gut town read:
* I thought his distinction between DJ's and mallow's vote was completely legitimate. DJ offered a reason; mallow sheeped without offering one. Not sure what's so hard about this. See sapo's posts;they express my own thoughts pretty well.
* Learning that English was not lew's first language inclined me to give him the benefit of the doubt in a lot of cases, particularly his own use of caustic language, and his frustrated and confusing reaction to some attacks.
* Because I thought the DJ/mallow vote distinction was a legitimate point, I didn't think Gonzoooo's first attack was legitimate. And this colored my view of the later lew/Gonz interaction. I've seen bold mafia lead the town on a ring-around-the-rosie before, and was more afraid of being taken in by Gonzoooo than by anyone else. I've also seen bold players hound people, and take the hounded player's negative reactions as proof of the rightness of their case. Confirmation bias, or whatever. Heck, Gonzooo made the point himself about some people being VI/easy lynches. And due to the things mentioned above, this was how I was reading lew.

Current position: null read. The "English-as-a-second-language" mess is a bunch of white noise that I'm having a
lot
of difficulty screening out. Until I find a way to properly quantify how much influence the language difference should on my reads, I have zero confidence in any conclusions I've reached about lew. :(

Gonzoooo

I'd obviously have to die to prove it, but Gonzoooo was right, and Consig was "confused town," not mafia. And stepping out and preventing the lynch of a VI isn't something scum has much motivation to do. Sure, I can think of an instance or two where it would make sense, but the odds are low enough that I'll mark Gonzo's defense of Consig as a strong towntell, until something proves otherwise.
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:16 am

Post by ThAdmiral »

Purple Orange wrote:@ Admiral: Did you miss the part where I said I'd post a more substantive post sometime today?
Yes.
Purple Orange wrote:Current position: null read. The "English-as-a-second-language" mess is a bunch of white noise that I'm having a
lot
of difficulty screening out. Until I find a way to properly quantify how much influence the language difference should on my reads, I have zero confidence in any conclusions I've reached about lew. :(
Do you have any idea when this is going to happen?

Also can you explain your vote on mallow again? Especially this line: "My argument for wolf is currently more subjective than my argument for mallow".
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:36 am

Post by don_johnson »

i could get with a mallow wagon. but i think thad's questions should be answered.
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
lewarcher82
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:37 am

Post by lewarcher82 »

huh, guys: I did not know the meaning of humor, but I started studying English when I was 4 years old, so you should not think that my whole game is conditioned by a linguistic imparement... it normally isn't, and this is the first time that this problem is so frequently referred to in a thread. So Purple, if I was a native speaker would I look scummy to you? If so, please vote me, and explain why.
Zhero
Zhero
Goon
Zhero
Goon
Goon

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:53 am

Post by Zhero »

Hello Purple Orange, thanks for replacing in!

I've been sort of back and forth on lew, and Admiral's case lays it out better than I'd seen it. I like Lew's response to Orange, not so much his response to Admiral.

Mallow and werewolf continue to be good places for votes, though I'd like to actually hear something from mallow first.
-Zhero
Purple Orange
Purple Orange
Goon
Purple Orange
Goon
Goon

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:33 am

Post by Purple Orange »

ThAdmiral wrote:Do you have any idea when this is going to happen?
Working on it. I'll re-read the thread (probably after a decent night's sleep) using lewarcher's suggestion just to ignore the issue, and see what I come up with. (Thanks, lew -- probably is the best solution to this).
Also can you explain your vote on mallow again? Especially this line: "My argument for wolf is currently more subjective than my argument for mallow".
My strongest reason for going after wolf is the first sentence I posted. "His accusations and votes struck me as newb scum, having a field day, trying to be "helpful" and join the party and get someone lynched, rather than newb townie actually trying to find mafia." How does one prove an interpretation like that? I tried to point out why I got that impression, but it's pretty much still a pure gut read.

Mallow has sheeped like wolf has, and has actively lurked without positive contribution
more
than wolf has. My gut read on him isn't as strong, possibly just because he's been more quiet. But when I compare posts, his are ones I feel I can more concretely point to as lurking scum.

If it turns out I should have actually voted for wolf over mallow, I'll kick myself big time for this. There's still a week or so to switch over, though. And I'd like to hear more from mallow, in either case.

Mod, I've currently got a vote on mallow.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:58 pm

Post by implosion »

Unvote

Purple: where particularly in Lewarcher's posts do you think that giving him benefit of the doubt in regards to language would make him less scummy? Or to rephrase, where in his posts is there something that could be interpreted as scummy based on language?
werewolf wrote:That is what I believed, and that since consig had more votes, it would be easier to get him lynched because of his previous behavior.
So you wanted to lynch him because you thought he would be easier to lynch?

Mallow: opinions? fosses? towntells? Anything?

Admiral: A lot of this (the case on Lew) is interesting. I see the whole "constantly justifying his vote" thing, but the rest I'm not sold on. How is backtracking scummy? You say he's scummy for not justifying his votes with real evidence that would help scum - how does backtracking help scum? The justification thing makes sense to me and I see how it would be a scum tactic, particularly in lew's ISO 23 where really all he does is... well, bash Gonzooo who he had already voted for.

Mallow I really am not sure about. He needs to post something substantive to examine. Several others have asked him to already, iirc. He really is actively lurking, but he also complains a lot about being too busy to post anything useful. I'd appreciate it if he could find some free time to actually make a post with more than one line of his own words.

werewolf... just keeps getting scummier. He pretty much admitted (I think) to trying to get an easy lynch on Consig, in fact the
only
reason he changed his vote is because he thought Consig would be easier to lynch. None of his votes have legitimate justification, he actively lurks...
Vote: werewolf

I also see the argument that him and lew are likely scumbuddies, but werewolf just seems way scummier to me. I can still envision lew being town even if werewolf is scum, but werewolf is just scummier every time I look at him.
saporovirus
saporovirus
she/they
Goon
saporovirus
she/they
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Post by saporovirus »

Oh jeez. It is embarrassing to be prodded this much.

My only comments thus far are that the werewolf wagon is good.
but I love you still

unsanitary999: african earl grey more like a freakin' pearl gay
saporovirus
saporovirus
she/they
Goon
saporovirus
she/they
Goon
Goon

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:12 pm

Post by saporovirus »

Other people to scrutinize: mallow, lew.
but I love you still

ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:03 pm

Post by ThAdmiral »

implosion wrote:Admiral: A lot of this (the case on Lew) is interesting. I see the whole "constantly justifying his vote" thing, but the rest I'm not sold on.
How is backtracking scummy
? You say he's scummy for not justifying his votes with real evidence that would help scum - how does backtracking help scum?
Let me put it this way: there is also such a thing as a scumslip/scum-tell.
Backtracking is an indication of lying, and lying is something scum do.
lewarcher82
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:42 pm

Post by lewarcher82 »

please, Admiral, define scumslip and name one from this game.
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:58 pm

Post by ThAdmiral »

lewarcher82 wrote:please, Admiral, define scumslip and name one from this game.
Backtracking.
lewarcher82
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:27 am

Post by lewarcher82 »

I assume that this is how you define my post in which I call dj's smilies-vote silly. Let me make it more clear.

1) DJ's vote because of smilies is a legitimate attempt at ending the rvs. I have seen even worse. One just gives a pretext and states to be serious.
2) The fact that the attempt is legitimate does not make the pretext (smilies) less silly. It succeeded in ending the rvs. But it did not provide a solid case.
3) The sillier the case, the more suspect was the behavior of mallow, who jumped on it.

This does not sound so difficult to understand.

As I thought that humor meant "mock", I found mallow's post about humoring dj a really scummy backtrack. Once I was explained that I misunderstood it, I started looking at the other players. I was struck by gonzooo's overconfidence, and I started interacting with him. He was not only overconfident, but he also kept quickly dismissing legitimate questions about consig's behavior. He was trying to take the lead of town, but his attitude (only discussing the things he wanted to, and ignoring all the rest) was not pro-town to me.

sidenote: since I thought that humor meant mock, admiral's argument against me:
ThAdmiral wrote:
lewarcher82 wrote:@mallowgeno: I did not see that coming, because, even though I am aware that there was no real big case built on the smilies-stuff, I did not read any evidence of humor in your vote. Nor did the others, as far as I see. I would have preferred a post with you insisting on my alleged attempt at overstressing randomness. The fact that you retract this way definitely bothers me.

so my vote stays where it is, for now.
Oh that's why. Another weak reason to keep his vote where it is.
But didn't you say you didn't like his vote initially because you believed he jumped on you supporting a silly argument?
makes no sense at all. It was absolutely legitimate to find mallow's post about humoring scummy. You are killing the context here. If you are doing it on purpose, then you are scummy.
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:18 am

Post by ThAdmiral »

Thank you for taking me through your thought processes.

unvote,
vote: werewolf
smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:01 am

just posting to make sure i avoid a third prod/replacement. I've been busy studying for a midterm, and I have to register for classes at 9:30 tonight, so expect a post either sometime from 5-9 or around 11 or later
saporovirus
saporovirus
she/they
Goon
saporovirus
she/they
Goon
Goon

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Post by saporovirus »

I'm getting more of a town vibe from lew now. I think a werewolf lynch is more than good.
but I love you still

werewolf555
werewolf555
Goon
werewolf555
Goon
Goon

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:38 pm

Post by werewolf555 »

saporovirus wrote:I'm getting more of a town vibe from lew now. I think a werewolf lynch is more than good.
I would not recommend that.
Why, you may ask?
I am a vanilla townie.
I'm not dead yet
"Sens: Please rearrange Werewolf and Mist into a scumteam so we can policy lynch." -GreyICE
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Post by don_johnson »

unvote, vote: mallow

competing wagons are good.
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:30 pm

I like the case on werewolf, and I' definitely seeing him as scum right now. His wording in his posts have seemed a bit off, from voting for Consig to be "economical" and more recently saying (in ISO post #10)

"That is what I believed, and that since consig had more votes, it would be easier to get him lynched because of his previous behavior."

easier to get him lynched?
vote: werewolf

also Werewolf... why claim? you're still three votes away from a lynch.

--------------------------------------------

as for any other cases, I still believe Mallow to be scum, but since he hasn't been around still (where's that catch up post?) I don't mind moving my vote to werewolf.

@ Admiral

you asked why I don't find Lew as scummy. In his posts, he seems to be genuine in his scum hunting, taking a definite stand on people, rather than being hesitant to commit to a read. While your quotes and explanations of what you found scummy make sense, to me they only do if you read it that way. When I read through those posts, I saw it as him legitimately seeing mallow and consig as scummy and was just town explaining himself. Looking over your case and explanations of the quotes, however, does make me see them scummier than my first read. I don't think that he is scum right now, but he is shifting toward a grey area for me. As the game goes on, I'll get a better read of him I'm sure, but for now, he seems to be genuinely trying as town.
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

A significant number of vote counts (namely those on pages 4-7) were corrected as per post 177.

With regards to post 185: vote counts at the top of the page are currently only to the post they are on. Therefore, the vote in post 180 does not affect the vote count in post 175.
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020

Return to “Completed Open Games”