Mini 14 ~ Mafia Holographica (Game Over!)

Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

Plum policy is silly. I do think that she should reveal her position by decloaking the day after a scumshot, after every scumshot however (and then recloaking if she wants). Should prevent her from avoiding the line-based scum-shot reasoning and make it so her being invisible isn't taken for granted until we realize she's shooting and we can't get a lock on where she is.

Me knowing what Fate would do is either
a)magic or
b)knowing in general what type of player he is and thus how he would react to certain situations.

I would actually be more in favor of making Furc dead than vezok right now.

Holy I am getting ninja'd so hard and am slightly more intoxicated than is helpful to deal with this.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

hahahaahahahahah
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

VasudeVa wrote:I'm against all this chatty nonsense. I think that the best way to figure out people's alignments is to get out there and let people shoot the fuck out of each other.

Also, if we do end up ganging up on one guy... It's bad. See this here:
NAME: Γ Pulse
TYPE: Factional
EFFECT: Inflicts damage equal to the average of all living players' HP (rounded down) to a
single linear target
. This damage may be reduced to taste. You may use this via PM. You may not pick up or equip Special abilities while you hold this ability (if you pick up a Special ability you will be given the option to drop this).
COMMAND: GammaPulse(target, damage) //damage argument is optional; if not included damage is assumed to be MAX
RECHARGE: 7 days
SCARCITY: N/A
This upside down L-Ray thing targets a straight line. Not sure if it comes from a player or not, but it looks like it deals a lot of damage but I assume that it is some form of AoE attack that attacks any straight line of the mafia's picking. Ganging up on people makes it more likely that we are going to place ourselves on a bad position and get more people shot with this.
Wow, this is a real bad misunderstanding, and not one I think scum would make.

Single linear target, IE pick a single target in a straight line from you.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

ok
CKD is looking like a mighty fine shot now isn't he :)))
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Post by Fate »

Im not sure where Furc is on the board but the closest PL to me was Vezok so THATS WHERE MY SHOT WENT
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

We could break the town into three segments and possibly limit scumkill options.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

okay i was about to ask if VV was just waaaaaaaaaat but inhims got this.

and here's the thing about everyone doing their own shit
ready
ready
STARCRAFT ANALOGY.

assuming three scum (or actually any number>1) they WILL be able to work together a hell of a lot better than the same number of town people. If we have even 4-5 town people but they're at low-medium hp while 3 scum are alive and have high hp or are able to heal themselves they can group up, focus fire one or two people down at once, and get the hell out of there if they time it properly- they WILL have better micromanagement of players and abilities than us, and the way around that is to keep everyone at as high hp as possible except for the 1-2 people we're currently making dead.
I guess this is more relevant to later game but WEAKENING players without committing as a group and making them completely dead is a bad bad idea.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Post by Fate »

derp analogy is derp.

FFS

the way to avoid that is BY KILLING SCUM HARD AND FAST EARLY AND NOT LETTING THEM RAMPAGE AROUND AS A DEATHSQUAD
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
VasudeVa
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Post by VasudeVa »

Gammagooey wrote:okay i was about to ask if VV was just waaaaaaaaaat but inhims got this.

and here's the thing about everyone doing their own shit
ready
ready
STARCRAFT ANALOGY.

assuming three scum (or actually any number>1) they WILL be able to work together a hell of a lot better than the same number of town people. If we have even 4-5 town people but they're at low-medium hp while 3 scum are alive and have high hp or are able to heal themselves they can group up, focus fire one or two people down at once, and get the hell out of there if they time it properly- they WILL have better micromanagement of players and abilities than us, and the way around that is to keep everyone at as high hp as possible except for the 1-2 people we're currently making dead.
I guess this is more relevant to later game but WEAKENING players without committing as a group and making them completely dead is a bad bad idea.
But what about their Siege tanks huh? If we are only chasing one individual, they can surprise us with some AoE and then it's bye bye Marine Marauder ball~
Call me Vas, ;D A little less active than I used to be due to IRL. Hoping to be back up to speed soon-ish!
VasudeVa
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:41 pm

Post by VasudeVa »

Okay fuck ,I completely misunderstood that. >.>. the upside down L ray thingie only targets one person. .__.
Call me Vas, ;D A little less active than I used to be due to IRL. Hoping to be back up to speed soon-ish!
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:58 pm

Post by vezokpiraka »

Anyone who is here and has a good idea how this is played.

Do you want everyone to recharge one day faster?
Windows hasn't detected any keyboard. Press Enter.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

I'd say no for now
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:11 pm

Post by vezokpiraka »

You cant say for now.

Its either on. Or I turn it off for ever.
Windows hasn't detected any keyboard. Press Enter.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:49 am

Post by VP Baltar »

OK, I think I figured out how to PoE us to victory (or at least prevent some night kills). First we divide the town into three groups of four. We already have one group of four players in A1, so bam. The second group of four lines up in B2 and the third group lines up in C3. Because the scum kill is linear and you cannot shoot diagonally (correct?), this limits the scum kill in each case to one of the people in the square they are residing in.

The best way to group people in my opinion is the most town players in one box, second most town players in a second box and scummiest players in the third box. At worst, this should instantly give us a 1 in 3 chance of finding scum after they carry off a kill.

Now, I'm not entirely sure how practical this is, but I think we should be able to move everyone before our 7 day time limit is up. Because we've wasted one day already, I'd say those of us in A1 should probably just stay put for now while the others migrate to B2 and C3. Organization will win this game for us, and I think this is the most effective strategy.

In terms of reads right now, I think Fate is scum and MAYBE Buttonmen. Gamma looks pretty damn town. Unsure on Plum. Chesskid is probably town even though he's being an annoying prat. VV might be scum as well from his 'oh hey, let's all just shoot for the lulz'. Everyone else is pretty null for me right now.

Thoughts?
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:20 am

Post by Vi »

Fate wrote:Vi I don't know how the hell you're abbrevieting names but I'd appreciate a grid with actual names of players in this game cause I have no idea who FUUUUUUUUUU is.
That would be FUUUUUUUUUUUrcolow.
Come on, the abbreviations haven't changed for five days.

MOD CAN WE HAVE MOD-CONFIRMATION OF THIS SUPPOSED BET?
Comments: I don't have any
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:07 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

we could actually play this like a mafia game....we vote like normal, give ourselves two week deadlines that we stick too....at the end of the two weeks, the one who has the most votes die by firing squad of sorts...we dont use our powers until we vote...

..or we can just keep doing the same old bullshit.

@chess, you want me to "overreact"? trust me you dont...and yes..it was a threat.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:12 am

Post by VP Baltar »

That was already suggested and generally agreed upon ckd. Why no discussion of the plan I put forth?
YOUR AD HERE

Feysal
Feysal
Mafia Scum
Feysal
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:25 am

Post by Feysal »

First actual game post coming up.
Furcolow #139 wrote:
plasma pistol: Feysal
move: east
I pretty much expected to see some sort of lunacy from you, but having you take a shot at me before I've posted once really exceeds my expectations.
TheButtonmen #155 wrote:Do all players start with the same hp?
I too had 15 HP in the demo, and I now have 10. Why am I revealing that? Because Furcolow shot at me, and at maximum damage the PlasmaPistol causes 3 damage according to the sample town PM. When my HP is reduced to 70% in the next summary post from Vi, then anyone with basic math skills realizes that if 3 HP corresponds to 30%, then my max HP must be 10. This also applies to everyone else who has taken damage. The max HP of curiouskarmadog and vezokpiraka will become public knowledge within a few hours. Our max HP is a secret we cannot possibly keep for very long.
TheButtonmen #168 wrote:Please include your thoughts on banning nonapproved shooting, the creation of a lynch cycle and your willingness to assist in the execution of any players who violate any rules we should decide on.
Whatever we plan, you can count on my cooperation. I'm definitely in favor of banning random shooting, though I would not automatically support the killing of someone who refused to honor the plan, I don't want that becoming a mislynch automaton for the scum. There may yet arise a situation where having a loose cannon is more hazardous to the scum than to the town. Right now however, that is not the case. The random shootings must cease.

I agree with establishing a lynch cycle to counter the factional kill. Much better than having a massive shootout.
chesskid3 #172 wrote:I think based on the initial setup CKD has ~ 50% shot of being scum, and killing him will also almost 100% clear me if he flips scum.
Therefore I'm going to hunt him down and kill him.
If indeed he turned out to be scum, that would go a long way into clearing you, but not 100%. Otherwise, this 50% chance of being scum is so horribly bad that if I did not know you were capable of such lapses of common sense, I'd be calling for your death right about now. As it is, I rather agree with the popular feeling that you are town. But, you need to stop this nonsense.
VasudeVa #223 wrote:I'm against all this chatty nonsense. I think that the best way to figure out people's alignments is to get out there and let people shoot the fuck out of each other.
To you, Fate, chesskid3 and Furcolow, and everyone else who thinks this is a good idea: it is not. Suppose we do go out there and start shooting each other silly? Then what? Everyone will be screaming OMGUS at each other, chaos reigns supreme, and when the time is right, we're going to have something like this happening:

ScumPlayerA: TriAttack(TownPlayerA, TownPlayerB, TownPlayerC)
Vi: TownPlayerA, TownPlayerB and TownPlayerC are dead. Scum wins!

We know there are attacks that can affect multiple targets, but their damage is also low. If we start reducing town players HP, the low damage from such weapons will cease to be a hindrance, and we're really begging to have the scum exploit that.

On other things, VP Baltar's plan of organizing us has some merit, but it also restricts us from using the features of this setup. For one: there will be random items dropping somewhere on the game grid, and the first person there will get to pick it up. This will cause some confusion when people race for items, though we may be able to control that by deciding as a group who gets which item. If some player already has several modules, it would be better to let someone else get the chance for one. If one player starts hoarding items, then either that player is scum (bad for town), or is killed by scum and the items are lost (bad for town).

Another problem is mines. I had a timed mine in the demo, and though I gave a warning when I used it, I did not have to. Mines are offensive abilities, but they can be used by PM. If we stick to certain regions, sooner or later someone is going to turn that region into a deathtrap, and the more players there are in the space when the mine activates, the greater the damage.

Finally, some abilities can only be used on other players in the same region. One such ability is ModSpecs, which I tried out in the demo. It is basically an investigative module, and there may be others like it. Limiting our movement would also limit the use of such abilities.

Finally, I expect that we're going to get confused at some point about who has done what and when. I intend to keep a log, at least until I see how detailed Vi's in-game reports are. Here is what has been done so far:

Actions cycle 1
Furcolow

PlasmaPistol: Feysal (139), 3 damage
Move: C2 (139)

chesskid3

PlasmaWhip: curiouskarmadog (140), 5 damage
Move: B2 (141)

Gammagooey

Move: B3 (143)

Fate

PlasmaWhip: vezokpiraka (197), 5 damage

vezokpiraka

Special ability active: global recharge time -1 day (215, 235, 237)

By the way, I think vezokpiraka's ability clearly favors the town, and it is easily verified by anyone who has used a skill. I vote he should keep it on, and if Fate still wants him dead, he can go to hell. I don't agree with anything he has said or done this game, not with taking pot shots before we have any reads, not with policy lynching vezokpiraka, and certainly not with killing Plum just because she has a cloak and is using it.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:25 am

in reference to your idea.

here are my problems with it..

first, you are making a lot of assumptions about how the mafia/town can shoot....how do you know? am I missing something else? I shoot in a linear way, but I dont know if my shot will go through the people in my "box" first....and yes..I say first...and though I dont have it now...in the demo phase I had a kick ass ability that did a ton of damage, but had a chance to miss and hit someone else in the same line.

first you say there is already a group, but then you suggest the groups being broken up into towniest, town, scummy...so which is it? if we break up people in those groups, who is going to say who is the scummiest...it will take time to come up with lists...then, by the time we get the lists there wont be much time for the individual groups to make a decision...

so no..I dont like your plan.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:30 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

Something I just realised;

A) Everyone gets shot once to weaken them.
B) Everyone get into the same square.
C) Everyone who has an AoE ability sets it off at once.
D) Town wins because;
Town Sample PM Win-Con wrote: You win when all threats are eliminated from the simulation.
Doesn't require there to be any surviving town players.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:46 am

Post by VP Baltar »

@Feysal- I'm fully in favor of item pickups being decided upon as the town. Need to clear something first though:

Mod, to pick up an item, does a player need to post publicly in thread or does the player PM you?

As far as mines and that sort of thing, that is indeed an issue, but unless it's the last scum I don't know if it's really THAT big of a concern. If someone jets out of their square without warning, players would have a good indication of the mine and that the said player is scum.

Re: modSpecs and similar abilities - I don't think this is an issue since there will always be players in the same region as the player with the ability. We could amend the original groupings as the game progresses to contain a better mix of town and scum.
ckd wrote:first, you are making a lot of assumptions about how the mafia/town can shoot....how do you know? am I missing something else?
No I'm not. The factional mafia kill in the OP is linear...ie, it can only shoot in a straight line (presumably not diagonally). I suggest you read the sample role PMs. Secondly, most of the attack abilities seem to require you to select a target...especially the mafia factional kill. It's not a proximity weapon, therefore it would PoE immediately and give us at minimum a 1 in 3 chance of hitting scum after the first time it's used. This seems like pretty damn good odds if you ask me.
ckd wrote:first you say there is already a group, but then you suggest the groups being broken up into towniest, town, scummy...so which is it? if we break up people in those groups, who is going to say who is the scummiest...it will take time to come up with lists...then, by the time we get the lists there wont be much time for the individual groups to make a decision...
I'm merely spitballing ideas. Putting suggestions on the table is the only way to work this out. As far as the second part of 'it will take time to come up with lists', give me a break. I think it would take all of one or two days for people to post their suggestions. This doesn't have to be an exact science on Day 1.

@TBM - what's to prevent the scum from simply stepping out of the square or using any other kind of ability we don't know about that could shield one of their members? That's a terrible idea. Scum points for you.
YOUR AD HERE

VasudeVa
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:48 am

Post by VasudeVa »

I think that Vi has specifically designed this game so that we cannot game it via plans. Vi is one creative man/woman/beast.
At most, I think we can agree upon an honor system of sorts. Something like guidelines of which we can honor each other or...something. I just don't see VPs plan and etc. after reading Feysal's revelation post about mines.

Which breangs me to: What say you people of a demo weapons claim? More info is always better.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:50 am

VP
curiouskarmadog wrote: I shoot in a linear way, but I dont know if my shot will go through the people in my "box" first....and yes..I say first...and though I dont have it now...in the demo phase I had a kick ass ability that did a ton of damage, but had a chance to miss and hit someone else in the same line.
and in regards to this (which you left out)
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:54 am

VasudeVa wrote: Which breangs me to: What say you people of a demo weapons claim? More info is always better.
I think this is a good idea...especially if people rally behind VP's idea...which I am still not liking.

another question VP...if you were scum, could you come up with anyways that scum could use your idea to their advantage?....whether it be in group creation, placement, "voting" or anyting. you are a smart guy, so I really am looking forward to your answer here.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:01 am

Post by Vi »

VP Baltar wrote:
Mod, to pick up an item, does a player need to post publicly in thread or does the player PM you?
Inthread.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”