Newbie 1052 - Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:24 am

Post by Mute »

Workdawg wrote:
@Mute:

LOL, thank you for addressing the taco bell issue.

On topic, I guess my interpretation of "gut" is simply your overall feeling disregarding any conclusions backed up by logic. When you say your gut gives me an 84, I would have considered both things your head and your gut say. Thoughts based on logical arguments would augment the score from there, but it's your system I suppose.

@asano234

I'm very curious about your reason for voting for Mute. Obviously I've been on his case for a while, but I have my case laid out all over the place. Your comment about just being sick of the argument doesn't do it for me, and saying that the table is swinging you from me to him doesn't either. You did put him at L-1, and while I don't mind the fact that you didn't announce this, I would say that's a pretty serious vote to throw out there without justification. I'm guilty of doing the same thing, but at least I followed up my vote with my reasons immediately.

I'm not really sure what to think about this. Your last sentence says that you will outline your thoughts later, so obviously you have some, but you can't be bothered to post them at the time of the vote? It strike me as rather suspicious to go to L-1 on someone and then leave the thread for who knows how long. It would be mighty convienient if someone else swept in and laid down the hammer on him while you are gone so that he doesn't have a chance to defend himself (though he doesn't really do this much anyone, in my experience).

(Yes, I realize the above is pretty hypocritical. I did the same thing before, but at least I gave my reasons for doing so.)
Glad you enjoyed my taco and fish based humor. I am altogether disgusted by that marriage of food chains. Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robins in one store? MIRACULOUS WONDERMENT OF DELICIOUSOSITY; fish and tacos? OH GOD IT'S GOTTA BE SOME SORTA BAD JOKE PLEASE NO!

But yeah. Gut is simply gut, what my "hmmmm" feeling gathers and says "okay slap him with X." It's pretty much just used for "okay this seems scummy, now let's find out why." The logic ties into the why.
:dead:
-Hard to see big picture behind pile of corpses-
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:03 am

Post by Mute »

Also, no time like the present:
PlayersPercent
theplague4254
Neuky49
Workdawg79
Angry Scientist
Asano
Naben
Veridis
????????
Stels66
Ty67
Nachomamma865

I don't know why there's such a massive space between my first line and the table proper.
"what happened to you only posting it at the start of days?"
I'm posting it now 'cause I feel like it. (That I'm at L-1 is irrelevant. Yup, entirely irrelevant and plays into this decision in no way at all. :shifty:)

Justifications for the numbers:
Neuky: has been doing a good job at scum-hunting, he's gotta be town in my eyes.

Stels: recently has caught my attention.

Angry: I had a pretty good town vibe from.
Asano: was a null-read, as usually (I find) it's not until a sub's third or fourth post that any real content can be found from their posts, and a vague vote without announcement is just a "what the hell guy?" moment. I keep thinking about it, about what motivations there are for it, and really I can't see any decent enough to merit a vote if all that vote's for is "I'm tired of seeing and hearing about it."
FoS: Asano
Otherwise it's a mixed read.

Naben/Veridis: firstly thank you mod for finding a replacement. Again thank you Veridis and I as well as everyone looks forward to hearing from that slot (for once). No read available.

Nacho: He's been under my eyes for the entire game. Not liking that he hasn't posted but I can't hold an announced V/LA against a person in good conscience. I get an IC's not supposed to let emotions cloud their gameplay as such, but I'm surprised by his indifference towards Ty.

Dawg: He's been the main suspect this cycle in the game. Just look through my posts.

Plague: does a decent job of scum-hunting and providing towards the town. But one thing got me; being swayed by logic so easily and casting a vote by it? Null-read alone, but will future posts prove whether he's scum or not? Unsure; I bring it up for posterity. Town-vibes though.

Ty: Don't like the active lurking, and has stated that will policy lynch lurkers, but to date never voted/pressured Naben at all. Only posts long-ass-walls.

(NOTES:
I lumped Naben and his sub together as so far nothing's come from either.
I listed my read for Angry then followed it with one on Asano as there was content from both and it varied.)
asano234
asano234
Townie
asano234
Townie
Townie

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 am

Post by asano234 »

Unvote Mute

Well that created somewhat of a stir. I have decided to take my vote off again for now but may reinstate it.

To answer the question that i had not justified it and could not be bothered. I had said i would justify my decision later. I would love it if i could spend more time on the net but having a family and children and a full time job does require my time. This morning i wanted to post why i had been absent and could not go into details about my reasons as i have to get my son ready for school, take him to school and get ready for work.

My reasons for my vote were as follows:

1. The table. It has by far become the most time consuming issue in this game and is distracting all of you from scumhunting, debating whether or not the system is useful for many posts has almost become a central theme of this game and as a result i feel that time between here and the deadline is being wasted and a mislynch is likely and who does that help. For that reason and maybe you will think i am crazy but i think it is possibly a scummy distraction technique. Dazzy them with whats over here and they wont look at the real picture.
2. I am completely new to this game aside from watching a work colleague play his first game from the sidelines. With the table being the central theme i have absolutely no clue about any of you if i am completely honest about it so decided i would jumped on the Mute bandwagon to see if that caused a stir which it has. Mute is right that it was a what the hell moment. The post from stels gave an interesting demonstration of where she is at and Mutes last post gave an indication where he is at.

I do feel in my gut that there is some scummy behaviour by Mute and will likely return to vote for him again unless something changes my mind but until there is good evidence i wont jump on again as i did not realise through my inexperience that my vote put him in L1 position until the vote count came up. My thoughts as a newbie are pretty vague and i apologise for that but my feeling at the moment is that Workdawg and Mute are my candidates for the skumteam at work here at the moment.
Keep your friends close.
Keep your enemies closer.
veridis
veridis
Goon
veridis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 am

Post by veridis »

@asano - thanks for the unvote, I was scared the hammer might fall before I had a chance to catch up.

@mute - got it in one

@everyone - less days like page 7 please, wow there were some walls there
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:23 am

Post by theplague42 »

Mini-wall ahead. I didn't think it would be a wall, but it certainly seems longer than an average post. Edit: make that a huge wall after adding the asano section.
Mute
Mute wrote:Plague: does a decent job of scum-hunting and providing towards the town. But one thing got me; being swayed by logic so easily and casting a vote by it? Null-read alone, but will future posts prove whether he's scum or not? Unsure; I bring it up for posterity. Town-vibes though.
This post made me laugh and head-desk simultaneously. "Being swayed by logic so easily and casting a vote by it?" First of all, that is a completely ridiculous claim. Logic is the hand behind the weapon of a lynch. What you're saying by this accusation is that scum players make logical arguments and town players make illogical arguments. That is utterly ridiculous. Townies use logic to find scum. Anyone that disagrees with the fundamental part of that statement is completely wrong, IMO.

Secondly, do my ears deceive me? I seem to remember something rather similar in the beginning of the game....
Mute in post 12 wrote:
Angry Scientist wrote:
snip

VOTE: theplague42

This guy is the plague. The mafia plagues this town. Which means, he's the mafia. QED.
Ah, gotcha. Lemme guess an experiment went wrong and you were angry over the failure? =P
Also your logic is flawless.
Vote: theplague42
By this, I am in no way agreeing that using logic is a scumtell. I already explained that above. I'm instead pointing out that Mute is using a double standard when looking at scumtells. Anything he does is townie, while the same things are scummy if committed by other people. Considering that he called Angry Scientist's logic "flawless," wouldn't it make sense that I was swayed by him as well? Apparently flawless logic only applies to voting other people... Unless he's talking about my switch back to Mute from Workdawg, following Workdawg's logic. In that case, I'm guessing that Mute just doesn't want to admit that he (as well as I) was completely embarrassed by that. I was blinded by Mute's bad logic, which he certainly didn't seem to mind at the time, as I was an extra vote on his supposed suspect.

Mute wrote:Also, no time like the present:
PlayersPercent
theplague4254
Neuky49
Workdawg79
Angry Scientist
Asano
Naben
Veridis
????????
Stels66
Ty67
Nachomamma865

snip

Justifications for the numbers:
lots of meaningless words that is in no way a good enough justification for me
I am confident that every single one of these numbers was made up on the spot. If you look at the game as a whole, every single number agrees with what I see as the general consensus. According to Mute, we're supposed to believe that "vibes" and his "gut" can pinpoint a person's scum-number exactly. Real justification would explain point-by-point what is scummy and what is not.

Pseudo-logical guesswork follows: To use a bit of psychology, look at the last three numbers. 66, 65, and 67. Three consecutive numbers, albeit not in order. It certainly seems like these three were typed in randomly, trying to express similar views on all three. I know that I can't be sure, but its definitely supports the fact that he didn't really give good justification for his point assignments.
Mute wrote:
a vague vote without announcement
is just a "what the hell guy?" moment
Why? Because he voted for a player that he thought was scummy? I love how you don't even comment that it was an L-1 vote, which you were so suspicious about earlier. I do agree that he should have announced, but I'm willing to concede that to a newbie mistake. No offense, asano, but I've seen a lot of newbie-replacements claim to have "read the thread" and other stuff which they didn't do. I'm not saying you lied, but your interpretation of "reading the thread" is different from our interpretation of "reading the thread."
Mute wrote:I don't know why there's such a massive space between my first line and the table proper.
"what happened to you only posting it at the start of days?"
I'm posting it now 'cause I feel like it. (That I'm at L-1 is irrelevant. Yup, entirely irrelevant and plays into this decision in no way at all. :shifty:)
Yeah right. Its completely relevant. I see no other reason why you would post it now. Also, why did you never claim? The general rule is to claim at L-1, but you seemed to avoid it at all costs. You even admitted that you realized you were at L-1. You had several other posts before asano unvoted you. Why avoid claiming?

asano

I did say something about/to you above, but I don't want to recopy it.
asano234 wrote:
Unvote Mute

Well that created somewhat of a stir. I have decided to take my vote off again for now but may reinstate it.
Voting w/o announcement of L-1, then unvoting, then a possible reinstatement is even scummier behavior than the original vote.
asano234 wrote:To answer the question that i had not justified it and could not be bothered. I had said i would justify my decision later. I would love it if i could spend more time on the net but having a family and children and a full time job does require my time. This morning i wanted to post why i had been absent and could not go into details about my reasons as i have to get my son ready for school, take him to school and get ready for work.
HoS: asano.
for the unvote and the missing of key arguments about announcing, unvoting (unvoting follows in this paragraph), and for bad justification (below). Why did you take your vote off? I see no reason why you should have. If you think Mute is scum, vote him. Look at the game earlier when Angry Scientist thought that it was scummy that I didn't vote Mute because I didn't want to appear to be OMGUS'ing. Unvoting because people say something is definitely scummy behavior. I would vote on this normally, but I'll give you another newbie-break. My generosity is running out, though.
asano234 wrote:My reasons for my vote were as follows:

1. The table. It has by far become the most time consuming issue in this game and is distracting all of you from scumhunting, debating whether or not the system is useful for many posts has almost become a central theme of this game and as a result i feel that time between here and the deadline is being wasted and a mislynch is likely and who does that help. For that reason and maybe you will think i am crazy but i think it is possibly a scummy distraction technique. Dazzy them with whats over here and they wont look at the real picture.
2. I am completely new to this game aside from watching a work colleague play his first game from the sidelines. With the table being the central theme i have absolutely no clue about any of you if i am completely honest about it so decided i would jumped on the Mute bandwagon to see if that caused a stir which it has. Mute is right that it was a what the hell moment. The post from stels gave an interesting demonstration of where she is at and Mutes last post gave an indication where he is at.
This is suspicious. Earlier you said that the table was not your only justification. Now, in #2, you claim that it was newbieness on your part. That is not a justification for a vote. That is an explanation for why you voted w/o announcing, etc. It only works for explanation after the vote, not while making it. Therefore, the table is really your only justification. I would agree that the whole argument is a scum distraction if I didn't think that Mute was scum! If I thought that Mute was town, then I would go for Workdawg. I think a Mute-Workdawg team is unlikely. Either that or ultra-serious bussing.
Mute wrote:I do feel in my gut that there is some scummy behaviour by Mute and will likely return to vote for him again unless something changes my mind but until there is good evidence i wont jump on again as i did not realise through my inexperience that my vote put him in L1 position until the vote count came up. My thoughts as a newbie are pretty vague and i apologise for that but my feeling at the moment is that Workdawg and Mute are my candidates for the skumteam at work here at the moment.
Sorry if I seem callous, but this is the second time this has happened so far. You just can't claim inexperience for unknowingly putting him at L-1. It doesn't require much experience to count up votes and check the numbers. If you aren't sure, then ask for a votecount first. But don't vote and then claim a miscount/newbieness/"I didn't realize." This has already been discussed after Workdawg's attempted hammer. If you "miscount" again, I will eternally push for your lynch.

@all

We really need more activity! The majority of the posting is being done by about half the players, and its getting rather repetitive. We need other opinions!

@mod

This may be premature, but can we get a mass-prod sent out? I don't want to overstep my bounds on this, but I feel that not enough is being posted by players as a whole. No-one really deserves to be prodded individually now that Naben has been replaced, but several players' activity is rather low.

Preview edit: Good to have you, veridis. Would you mind if I asked you to get an avatar? It's easier to keep track of who says what. Sorry, but a reduction in walls just doesn't work in a game like this. :D Both Mute, Ty, Stels, and I seem to make walls pretty regularly.
Part of the problem.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:23 am

Post by theplague42 »

Edit: nevermind veridis, I saw that you just added an avatar. Thanks anyways!
Part of the problem.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:28 am

Post by theplague42 »

Double-edit: My numbers-theory psychology argument also applies to Neuky-Workdawg and asano-me. 49 and 79, 54 and 54. There are just way too many similarities between these numbers to be true values for the scumminess of each player. Also, why is it ??????? for naben/veridis? 60 is supposed to be the value for an absolute null-tell. Could it be another sign that the table was made up on the spot? If he really kept a saved table elsewhere, or truly copied it and change the numbers to reflect his genuine tells, wouldn't it follow the 60's that were in there the first time he posted the table?
Part of the problem.
Stels
Stels
he/him
Goon
Stels
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:49 am

Post by Stels »

@Drench & Everyone: Sorry, no time at all today, will post something tomorrow, I swear.
UNVOTE: Mute just in case.
asano234
asano234
Townie
asano234
Townie
Townie

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:53 am

Post by asano234 »

@the plague 42 You have been pretty harsh on me the whole time i have been a replacement or a stern teacher. Essentially i accepted that maybe i acted a little hastily and retracted that error. If my explanation for voting without explanation was not good enough for you i am sorry but that is life. I intended to explain my reasons and did so and if they are not acceptable to you again such is life. They are my reasons and if that makes me appear skum or town so be it the reasons stay the same. At the end of the day this is a learning game for me and will be trying to pick up on things as quick as possible but if i make the odd mistake...guess what i am human. Your vote has remained on me since the start so i could have gone for the i am gonna vote for you right back ploy but i am not a child and also more importantly dont think you are skum so i wont.

Please give me a little slack.
Keep your friends close.
asano234
asano234
Townie
asano234
Townie
Townie

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:57 am

Post by asano234 »

@ the plague 42 Everytime i say anything you shoot me down so you are right we need more activity from others and perhaps maybe less condesending responses that put newbies off responding in the first place.
Keep your friends close.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:44 pm

Post by theplague42 »

asano234 wrote:@the plague 42 You have been pretty harsh on me the whole time i have been a replacement or a stern teacher. Essentially i accepted that maybe i acted a little hastily and retracted that error. If my explanation for voting without explanation was not good enough for you i am sorry but that is life. I intended to explain my reasons and did so and if they are not acceptable to you again such is life. They are my reasons and if that makes me appear skum or town so be it the reasons stay the same. At the end of the day this is a learning game for me and will be trying to pick up on things as quick as possible but if i make the odd mistake...guess what i am human.
Your vote has remained on me since the start so i could have gone for the i am gonna vote for you right back ploy but i am not a child and also more importantly dont think you are skum so i wont.

Please give me a little slack.
I'm sorry if I'm seeming harsh. That's just my way of typing. I tend to use sarcasm and the like a lot; it's just my style. I'm about to say something else in the next paragraph, and I'm just telling you that I'll try to be as non-condescending as possible about it.

Look at the bolded part. You claim that my vote has been on you since the start. It's not. Check the last votecount if you don't believe me. I will not vote you for fear of causing you to go ballistic and quit this site forever, but I do want to point that out as a major mistake.

Last thing: It's scum, not skum. End of teaching to you on my part. Sorry for any harshness.
Part of the problem.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Post by theplague42 »

@Stels
Why are you unvoting Mute? You were also unvoted Ty after the pseudo-hammer. Both times you claimed you wanted to be careful. What's the reasoning behind this? I can understand unvoting Ty, but Mute was at L-2 when you unvoted. What's your reasoning behind this? I don't agree that he should be lynched immediately, but why aren't you keeping your vote on suspects? This back-forth wish-wash pressuring is suspicious.
Part of the problem.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Post by Workdawg »

@anaso

Here's the thing anaso. You voted for mute for pretty much no reason and then left for work. You say that you will give your reason when you get back, and that there is more to that reason than your mistrust of the table.

When you got back around to posting, your only real reason for the vote was because of the table. You also claim to have hopped on the wagon to "see if that caused a stir."

It seems very much like you either a) didn't have a real reason for voting for him, or b) your reason was pretty much just to stir the pot.

In either case, voting for someone up to L-1 allows any random player to hammer that person. Any other player could have logged on and lynched him. If he's town, the scum would know this and they could have forced a mislynch. If you vote without a real reason to suspect they are scum, then you are opening the door for that.

The fact that you came back and immediately unvoted for him only reinforces the fact that you probably didn't have a solid reason for voting for him. ESPECIALLY not to L-1.

In the future, just make sure you know what the votecount is before you vote. I've made that mistake already. I would also highly suggest laying out all your reasoning behind any vote you make up front so that everyone knows why you vote. It's much less suspicious that way.

@Stels

Another unvote... I just don't know how to feel about that. It's the experienced players who keep doing it. I can see the argument for keeping the day from ending prematurely, but I just don't like the idea that you're putting your vote out there if you aren't confident enough to see that person lynched. Especially a second time.
asano234
asano234
Townie
asano234
Townie
Townie

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:08 pm

Post by asano234 »

Look at the bolded part. You claim that my vote has been on you since the start. It's not. Check the last votecount if you don't believe me. I will not vote you for fear of causing you to go ballistic and quit this site forever, but I do want to point that out as a major mistake.
I won't be quiting anytime soon as i said this is a training game for me. I did not get to become a FIDE master at chess by quitting if i lost a game. If you want to vote for me thats fine and i have no problem with it. All i was asking is that you cut me a little slack and remember that i am a newbie. I am sure most of you have many games under your belts and have worked on your ideas and fine tuned how you go about it but i have never played a game quite like this before. I have played Diplomacy reguarly for years but correspondence in that is generally secretive. Here everything is out in the open for all to see and nit pick and make assumptions.

@WORKDAWG you have a point if i think about it my main thought behind the vote was the table because for the last 8 pages it has been the hotbed of discussion in this game so i had very little else to try and discuss to join the thread. As i said i think it is a potential for a
skum
(sorry plague) scum distraction tool to help a mislynch. I will read the whole of the thread again and see if i can get a better understanding where i am with the game.
Keep your friends close.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Post by theplague42 »

@asano
Once again, sorry for seeming harsh, but you still didn't say anything about you being incorrect in stating that I was voting for you.

Also, you're a FIDE master? That's very impressive. What's your rating? Is it ELO or something else?
Part of the problem.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Workdawg
In the future, just make sure you know what the votecount is before you vote. I've made that mistake already. I would also highly suggest laying out all your reasoning behind any vote you make up front so that everyone knows why you vote. It's much less suspicious that way.
As I remember it, your reason for trying to hammer Ty was to move the game along, not a miscount.

Asano
All i was asking is that you cut me a little slack and remember that i am a newbie. I am sure most of you have many games under your belts and have worked on your ideas and fine tuned how you go about it but i have never played a game quite like this before.[/b]Actually, only three of us do. Probably two or three of the other six have completed one game, with the other three being complete newbies.
Part of the problem.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:52 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Hmmm forgot quote tabs on bottom.

Asano
All i was asking is that you cut me a little slack and remember that i am a newbie. I am sure most of you have many games under your belts and have worked on your ideas and fine tuned how you go about it but i have never played a game quite like this before.
Actually, only three of us do. Probably two or three of the other six have completed one game, with the other three being complete newbies. If you're actually town, you're worrying way too much about getting lynched and not worrying enough about finding scum. I would suggest going through the game, picking two top suspects, and finding specific things that they have said that are suspicious. By specific things I mean you should quote exactly what they say in quote tabs, not just saying "he did this, this and this." Do you know how to do manual quote tabs? I can show you how if you want.
Part of the problem.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Post by Mute »

theplague42 wrote:Mini-wall ahead. I didn't think it would be a wall, but it certainly seems longer than an average post. Edit: make that a huge wall after adding the asano section.
Mute
Mute wrote:Plague: does a decent job of scum-hunting and providing towards the town. But one thing got me; being swayed by logic so easily and casting a vote by it? Null-read alone, but will future posts prove whether he's scum or not? Unsure; I bring it up for posterity. Town-vibes though.
This post made me laugh and head-desk simultaneously. "Being swayed by logic so easily and casting a vote by it?" First of all, that is a completely ridiculous claim. Logic is the hand behind the weapon of a lynch. What you're saying by this accusation is that scum players make logical arguments and town players make illogical arguments. That is utterly ridiculous. Townies use logic to find scum. Anyone that disagrees with the fundamental part of that statement is completely wrong, IMO.

Secondly, do my ears deceive me? I seem to remember something rather similar in the beginning of the game....
Mute in post 12 wrote:
Angry Scientist wrote:
snip

VOTE: theplague42

This guy is the plague. The mafia plagues this town. Which means, he's the mafia. QED.
Ah, gotcha. Lemme guess an experiment went wrong and you were angry over the failure? =P
Also your logic is flawless.
Vote: theplague42
By this, I am in no way agreeing that using logic is a scumtell. I already explained that above. I'm instead pointing out that Mute is using a double standard when looking at scumtells. Anything he does is townie, while the same things are scummy if committed by other people. Considering that he called Angry Scientist's logic "flawless," wouldn't it make sense that I was swayed by him as well? Apparently flawless logic only applies to voting other people... Unless he's talking about my switch back to Mute from Workdawg, following Workdawg's logic. In that case, I'm guessing that Mute just doesn't want to admit that he (as well as I) was completely embarrassed by that. I was blinded by Mute's bad logic, which he certainly didn't seem to mind at the time, as I was an extra vote on his supposed suspect.

@all

We really need more activity! The majority of the posting is being done by about half the players, and its getting rather repetitive. We need other opinions!
I'd like to say you're comparing a null-tell (that I even said it was) to a vote placed during the RVS where silly antics are the way that session takes place.

Also YES SWEET MERCIFUL ABOVE. It's odd that the one IC is having issues with being V/LA and that Ty, to what I gather from the definition, is active lurking. Stels too is a bit quiet. Naben was a <censored> joke, so that's all there is to that now that he's been replaced.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Post by Workdawg »

theplague42 wrote:
Workdawg
As I remember it, your reason for trying to hammer Ty was to move the game along, not a miscount.
That was only a small part of it. I jumped the gun because I was anxious, but I also posted my reason for casting the vote in the EBWOP post after that.

Also, I didn't mean to say that my mistake was voting "to move the game along", but that my mistake was not getting the vote count right before posting.
Ty
Ty
Townie
Ty
Townie
Townie

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Post by Ty »

Workdawg

Workdawg POST#164 wrote:Did you conveniently miss my post (ISO#8), where I explained my reasoning for voting for you? It was right after I voted (though Nacho managed to ninja in between) If clearly gives my reason; which was NOT time. Certainly my anxiousness/excitableness played a part in jumping the gun there... and that's why I needed an EBWOP to explain the vote... but I didn't just see you at L-1 and pull the trigger for no reason at all.
I in fact did read your ISO #8, but the thing is, I also read your other posts. Let’s see what the earlier you said about whether time was a factor.
ISO#7 wrote:After reading, and rereading everything posted about Ty up until now, I'm finding him to be pretty suspicious too.
Mute and his table still rub me the wrong way, but in the interest moving things along I'm throwing down the hammer.

VOTE: Ty
This is by far the most important post of the game, hands down. In fact, I would like everybody reading this to please analyze it and post your conclusions from it, considering very little has been done with it.

The reason this is so unimportant because this is the post that gives a true glimpse into the mind of Workdawg. ISO #8 is an afterthought posted 10 minutes later after you looked at your vote and said “oh crap, I should probably actually post something that would make my hammer even semi-plausible.” ISO #7, however, is a giddy over-eager scum trying to hammer and putting up a poor excuse in order to do so.

In particular, note the bolded sentence. Workdawg specifically says he feels that Mute is scummy (or at least suspicious of the idea) at the time of that post but continues the sentence by saying that he would rather just quick-hammer instead of actively scumhunting someone he found suspicious. If you truly weren’t using time as a reason Workdawg, it’s curious that you would use it as the basis for switching your vote to hammer me.
ISO#9 wrote:
As far as throwing down the hammer... I guess I'm a little bit anxious since it's my first game. As you can tell, I'm pretty active online and the idea of waiting 2 weeks to learn any concrete information as craziness to me.
If I set myself up as a target for Day2, then I guess we'll see what happens.
ISO#15 wrote:
Well, like I said, I got anxious to get things rolling. I'm online all day at work and the idea of waiting 2 weeks for the first day to be over sounds insane to me.
I felt like there was ample evidence against Ty to make a lynch happen. Clearly some people disagree with that. Like I said before, I don't regret voting for him, that's why my vote is still on him. It's unfortunate that I miscounted the votes, but it is what it is. An innocent mistake.
Even if ISO #8 was to be given any credence, it would instantly be taken away with both ISO #9 and ISO #15. In these two posts, both after the last minute thought post of ISO #8 to cover your tracks, you again reiterate the fact that time played an important role in your decision to lynch me. It’s almost humorous you say I’m being selective of which ISO posts I show when THREE of the posts next to ISO #8 directly contradict what you just said. On a side note, ISO #8 doesn’t prove time wasn’t a reason. You didn’t mention time in it however you didn’t specifically say time wasn’t a reason either. You ambiguously left it out. Fortunately, THREE posts paint a clearer picture of the reasoning you provided for my lynch.

Finally, I believe the most telling part of Workdawg’s response regarding time is the argument he decided to reply with. He decided to say he never mentioned time at all, instead of arguing how mentioning time isn’t inherently scummy. Mentioning time isn’t necessarily a scum-tell, as it is important to ensure a lynch happens before the end of the day. But flat out refusing to admit he used it reeks of a scum who is trying to distance himself from a supposed scum-tell.
POST#164 wrote:Again, no mention at all of IOS#8, my actual reason for voting. Feel free to look that up.
Feel free to look at the multiple posts besides ISO #8 that you wrote, which I feel provide a much better representation of your thought process at the time. Unfortunately, your reasoning (or lack thereof) spills into numerous posts other than a single one you’re trying to hedge your bets on.
POST#164 wrote: My vote in post #47, and EBWOP #49: You post a lot of information without a lot of substance all the while trying to draw suspicion onto Stels and Nacho (the other two experienced players).
POST#49 wrote:EBWOP: I suppose hopping on the bandwagon with the hammer looks scummy. My reasoning is that both his posts have been long on words, but short on anything helpful. There's a lot of junk in there and it seems to me like he's trying to avoid being a lurker, but also avoid suspicion by
diverting to Nacho and Stels, the two other experienced players... is he trying to get them lynched so he can take advantage of all of us poor newbies?!?!?
Throwing out a theoretical question =/= reason for quick-hammer. And no, adding more question marks and exclamation marks does not make your theoretical question any more solid or reasonable. As far as supposedly claiming the is the holy grail post of reasons for voting me, I don’t find this question being blurted out to have the validity and resoluteness required for the quick hammer vote.
It seems to me this would be the ideal situation for any SE or IC that ends up scum in a newbie game. Target the other experienced players and get them out of the way before the newbs know what hit them. I mean, geez. If you managed to get either one of them mislynched, then you NK the other one, you'd be the only experienced player in a game full of newbs and it'd be 5-2 town to scum. Sounds like the best case scenario for scum.
Or maybe the ideal situation for any SE or IC that ends up town in a newbie game is to target experienced players and clear them of scum before the newbies realize they’re being led by sheep. Oh hey, I can play WIFOM too!
Now that I think about it, the whole "lurk by way of posting useless information" seems like it would be pretty convenient considering your "faster than you can say I-didn’t-realize-lurking-is-anti-town-play." lurker lynching policy.
Challenge: Instead of throwing out generalities like candy, give concrete examples to support that I have been “posting useless information.” My paragraphs fall under providing advice and finding scum, and frankly I don’t find either to be useless.
I've already said that I don't regret voting for you. You can draw whatever conclusion you want from that.
Sure, I think I will. It’s incredibly anti-town play and with an attitude like that I would be afraid to have you on my townie team, nevermind being the scum.
I felt that you were the most likely person to be scum at the time and I'm still a little suspicious of you.
Once again you, go from be willing to quick-hammer me to being “a little suspicious” of me now. You were willing to kill me on the second day we started even playing this game, yet after you realized I wasn’t lynched you started shifting towards focusing on Mute once more. The fact you aren’t even willing to say I’m more than “a little” bit scummy now should speak for itself.
Is it a bad choice to end day one after only two days, maybe so... but if you are scum, then we'd all be pretty happy about that.
And if I was town? Then you would have squandered the town’s opportunity to discuss and analyze to lynch one of the most vocal scumhunters in the game. Once again, an anti-town mindset.
I wasn't the only person who thought you were scummy enough to deserve a vote, so can you really lay all the blame on me?
Awesome, deflection of blame! As I and others have reiterated countless times, a townie should be voting because they truly believe that someone is scum, regardless of how it makes them look. A scum would be concerned that they were sticking out too much and would want to blend in with the crowd. A deflection of blame is a last-ditch effort to try and throw off any deviance by noting that others were in on it too. By doing so, the shared guilt would help obscure you with the rest of the town, WHICH IS WHAT THE SCUM, NOT TOWN, ARE TRYING TO DO.
It's interesting that you "guarantee" a truly innocent townie would not be joking around about this. I guess we'll see what your guarantee is worth when I flip town.
You decide to prominently place this WIFOM statement in your defense? This reeks of a scum making a last-ditch effort to stir feelings of doubt in a potential lynch, something that is consistent with the rest of your post.
I hardly call what I've done "gratuitous wagon-hopping." I admit that I hopped on your wagon, sure... but that's only because I thought we had a chance to lynch us a scum. The others had brought up some good points that made me look closer at your posts. When I did, I found that you were at the top of my list of potential scum; with Mute. Are you saying it's a bad move to hop on a wagon to lynch someone; even if you feel they are scum?
Two days into the game? Yes, yes I do. Note, you weren’t just hopping onto a wagon as you so eloquently put it, you were delivering the hammer. This is a serious no-no, and as has been mentioned earlier it’s a serious newbie tell. Based on your posting, I believe it’s newbie-scum tell.
As for saying you still look "a bit" scummy. Yes, I said that; yes, I do still feel you look "a bit" scummy. Since then, you've contributed more to the game than before... but that could easily be because you almost got lynched and you decided you better step it up. You actually addressed nacho's posts (which you hadn't before) and posted something that was relevant to this game... which was my main reason for voting you.
I’ve actually posted less than I did before the vote (due to an insanely busy schedule), but thanks for your vote of confidence.

Challenge: Show where I don’t answer Nacho’s questions. After going over the Ty/Nacho confrontation I clearly respond to everything Nacho says, he tends to be the more insecure one that answers questions with questions.
As for Mute's wagon, if you want to call it that, I was the first person to cast a vote against him, and I raised issues with him the get-go. At first, it was simply an FoS on him because of the table and his "guilty until proven innocent" play-style. After that, it's been his complete inability to respond to my questions and comments.
The table is such a big null-tell my brain wants to explode from people still discussing it. After reading the Mute/Workdawg confrontation I’d say it looks like your ignoring the answers Mute is providing and are really going after him with very little. It’s not helping your case.

In conclusion, provide me with a real defense instead of some deflections and WIFOM statements. You’re scum, and I’d like you to provide me with the name of your partner. Thanks.

MUTE

Also YES SWEET MERCIFUL ABOVE. It's odd that the one IC is having issues with being V/LA and that Ty, to what I gather from the definition, is active lurking. Stels too is a bit quiet. Naben was a <censored> joke, so that's all there is to that now that he's been replaced.

Either your definition is wrong, or you’ve been skimming over my posts. I’ve gone head to head with Nachomamma and now Workdawg while scumhunting, and I’ve determined with a fair amount of confidence that Workdawg is scum.

I’m sorry I’m not messing around with a table that serves no purpose, bickering with Workdawg, or posting such insightful analysis as “Stels: recently has caught my attention.”
POST#179 wrote:Dawg: He's been the main suspect this cycle in the game. Just look through my posts.
I like having things explained to me. Instead of putting the burden on the reader, provide a well detailed post with specific posts that demonstrate why you believe Workdawg is the scum (please don’t demonstrate with a table of any kind).

VERIDIS

Hello Veridis. Welcome to the game, your free ride is now over. Who is you top suspect(s) and why? Failure to post will have negative consequences, that spot hasn’t posted all game and I’d like to get a read on you.
Is it just me, or is it getting hot in here?
Ty
Ty
Townie
Ty
Townie
Townie

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Post by Ty »

I see both Mute and Workdawg online. I look forward to a reply. Thanks.
Is it just me, or is it getting hot in here?
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Post by Workdawg »

@Ty:

I have to admit, it certainly seems like you've got a strong case against me. You've obviously got quite a bit of experience hunting scum and analyzing posts. At this point, I'm not sure what I can even say to you that will convince you I'm town.

I will straight up say it, I am a townie. Any actions that you think are scum-tells are simply my ignorance at how this game is properly played. I feel like I made one major mistake and have been unable to adequately defend myself from the inquisition that's been imposed on me as a result.

I'll just reply to your points again and hope for the best.

About time being a factor in my vote against you

You said yourself above that ISO#7
is a giddy over-eager scum trying to hammer and putting up a poor excuse in order to do so
Is it not at all possible that it was simply a giddy, over-eager town player thinking he just hit a home run for his team?

You point out how ISO #7, #9, and #15 all talk about whether time was a factor in the vote. I said I wanted to move things along in #7, and that I was anxious in #9 and #15. I don't think making any of those statements clearly indicates that I voted for you for no reason other than because I could have given you the hammer.

While I suppose it's a rather ridiculous request, if you were to analyze ISO 7 and 8 as if they had been posted in one post, at the time of the vote, would that make you feel any differently about the situation? I agree that it can easily look like I'm just trying to cover my tracks, but if you give me the benefit of the doubt and just chalk it up to a rookie mistake that I left off my reason due to my anxiousness, maybe it looks less scummy. I'd like to think that if I were newb-scum, I would have been more careful not to look too scummy, rather than to just jump in head first without concern for how it appears to everyone else. Didn't you say that it's typically the scum players who are concerned with how they appear? Though clearly I have much to learn about playing this game.

About my reasons for voting against you

Once again, time really played no role in my vote against you other than that I was simply anxious to do something good for the team. The evidence against you I felt was strong enough. Considering both of the other experienced players also placed a vote against you for their own reasons, I don't see how it's unreasonable to assume that a newb town see's some things he doesn't like and then jumps on the band wagon as well; especially considering that the two experienced players are already on board.

It's my first game here, the two experienced players both make points against you which leads me to reread your posts and analyze them more carefully. I come to the conclusion that I also feel you are likely scum, and then I cast my vote. Maybe I was being "led by sheep", but they had made better arguments than you at that time.

Challenge 1

As far as concrete examples of your useless information. I don't really have any. At that time, I felt that your generic advice wasn't really that helpful. It was overshadowed by your focus on Nacho and Stels. Looking back I see that it is generally useful information, but at the time, I was looking for more scum hunting and less for advice. (seems pretty ironic now)

Challenge 2
Ty wrote:
Nachomamma8

Nachomamma8 wrote: Ty, how does my answer to any of those questions allow you to get a gauge on my alignment?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer, it depends on the unique response (or non-response as it may be) given by the player. Let’s take your response for example. What you just did is a deflection, meaning you ignored the question and instead attempted to talk about something else. Why do people deflect? Often times it means they are trying to hide something or they don’t feel comfortable with how they would have responded. Based on win conditions, the only people who have an incentive to be careful about how others perceive them are the scum who are trying to fit in with the town (it should be noted however that newbies will often times do this, as demonstrated by theplague42, however this point is irrelevant to Nachomamma8).

It’s important to differentiate Nachomamma8’s non-answering of the question from others who disliked my questioning (Angry Scientist, Stels). Both AS and Stels voiced annoyance over being questioned, but both did so regardless.
Your first sentence is really the only one that addresses his question directly. You segue directly in to an analysis of his reply, rather than actually answering his question.

This is really the only one relevant because it's your only post before my vote.

My current thoughts on you

Even though you've posted less frequently than you did before, it seems clear that the content of your posts is much more relevant to this game. You've moved off of the advice giving and on to the scum hunting (I only wish I weren't your target). I have to say, after the failhammer incident, you're posts have been almost exclusively scumhunting, rather than advice giving. As I mentioned before, and you pointed out numerous times above, I only find this a bit scummy because it seems like you switched pretty distinctly at that time. While you seem to be scumhunting pretty hard, I'm not sure if that's simply because there hasn't been any real GOOD scumhunting going on, or if it's because you've found a juicy target for a mislynch (me).

Like I said at the very beginning of this post, you've obviously got a lot more experience than I do at this. I probably won't be able to convince you that I'm town, but I won't roll over and get lynched without a fight either.

The table/Mute

I already stated that I'm over the table. I don't give a <bleep> about it anymore. I have been unsatisfied with Mute's responses to my questions (it took me 3 requests to get him to tell me my number, ffs), and THAT is the reason that my vote has been on him from the very beginning. I'll spend some time tomorrow analyzing that more carefully, again, if you like.

Other thoughts
Ty wrote:
I've already said that I don't regret voting for you. You can draw whatever conclusion you want from that.
Sure, I think I will. It’s incredibly anti-town play and with an attitude like that I would be afraid to have you on my townie team, nevermind being the scum.
Is it "incredibly anti-town" to vote for you, or to not regret voting for someone you felt, at the time, was the most likely person to be scum?
Ty wrote:You decide to prominently place this WIFOM statement in your defense? This reeks of a scum making a last-ditch effort to stir feelings of doubt in a potential lynch, something that is consistent with the rest of your post.
Should I just roll over and accept defeat now that "one of the most vocal scumhunter in the game" is on my case? As opposed to simply a scum making a last-ditch effort to save himself, maybe it's just a newb doing the same? I don't see how this is specifically a scum-tell? You, and others, have said that I shouldn't be concerned with being lynched because as long as the town wins, I win... but I'll be damned if I don't go down without a fight. I'd rather contribute everything I can until the end then roll over, and have to watch from the sidelines.
Ty wrote:
I hardly call what I've done "gratuitous wagon-hopping." I admit that I hopped on your wagon, sure... but that's only because I thought we had a chance to lynch us a scum. The others had brought up some good points that made me look closer at your posts. When I did, I found that you were at the top of my list of potential scum; with Mute. Are you saying it's a bad move to hop on a wagon to lynch someone; even if you feel they are scum?
Two days into the game? Yes, yes I do. Note, you weren’t just hopping onto a wagon as you so eloquently put it, you were delivering the hammer. This is a serious no-no, and as has been mentioned earlier it’s a serious newbie tell. Based on your posting, I believe it’s newbie-scum tell.
It may only be two days into the game, but A LOT has occured. I suppose for someone who's only posted all of 7 times it might not seem like much, but there are nearly 200 posts in this thread. (There were over 100 by the time I switched my vote from you back on to Mute). I already admitted above that I hopped on your wagon. It was with good intentions that I did it. Aside from that, I've been pretty much driving Mute's wagon the entire game.
asano234
asano234
Townie
asano234
Townie
Townie

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Post by asano234 »

I will post something later today. My brain is too tired this morning. Have a good day all. :D
Keep your friends close.
asano234
asano234
Townie
asano234
Townie
Townie

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Post by asano234 »

theplague42 wrote:@asano
Once again, sorry for seeming harsh, but you still didn't say anything about you being incorrect in stating that I was voting for you.

Also, you're a FIDE master? That's very impressive. What's your rating? Is it ELO or something else?

Ok i concede that i was mistaken. there has been 4 official vote counts thus far (i am sure you will be quick to point out if i am wrong) of those i have recieved a vote from you on 3 occasions.

FIDE are the world body that governs chess. My rating with chess is 210 BCF (British chess federation) 2310 yes ELO.

Chess has a method of calculating grades for players but it is flawed but unlike the table it is not guess work and is a useful guide.

I have always liked chess, nothing is hidden. Sometimes it can be frustrating as you can see the train crash coming but othertimes you are driving the train! :cool:
Keep your friends close.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Post by Drench »

The Fourth Vote Count - anywaytheplague42
Neuky
Mute - 2 - theplague42, Workdawg
Workdawg - 3 - Neuky, Mute, Ty
asano234
veridis
Stels
Ty
Nachomamma8

No Lynch

Not Voting - 4 - veridis, Nachomamma8, asano234, Stels

With nine alive, it's five to lynch!

Day One's deadline expires on the 8th of February at 11:07am AEDST (GMT+11).

Everyone's posted within the last day (barring one), so no prods yet.
join your union

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”