Newbie 1052 - Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Sundy
Sundy
Goon
Sundy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #375 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:42 am

Post by Sundy »

OK! That took a long time. I will probably have to re-read some of the wall-posts in ISO as the game continues, but I've got the basic history down. Might as well dive in as it's much easier to understand what's going on when you're a part of the action rather than observing.

Answering Dawg's questions: I started playing online mafia this summer, and I've played 6 other games on this forum (one ongoing but I'm dead), along with a ton outside. I'm reasonably experienced, especially in the context of a newbie game, but definitely still learning. I can be a paranoid player but-- as my avatar suggests-- paranoia is something to be overcome, as I've learned from experience. The conspiracy theories and arcane detail of the paranoiac are not very insightful when it comes to this game. Simple & direct is a better form of scum-hunting. Also, I am male. I asked because I used the word 'guys,' and I did not want to be heterosexist by assuming things about certain players. ;)

Onward: top 2 suspects for the day are Stels & Mute, and here is why:

1) Stels appears to be role-fishing here. Furthermore his criticism of theplague is inaccurate, as TP refers only to the "possible." Role-fishing is the most consistent scum-tell I've seen. In both my last game as town and my last game as scum, Mafia did it. In my last game, I was SURE someone was town despite this tell, but still the tell came through.
2) He follows up with this, and says that he "stopped at your [TP] post," even though he'd already addressed it before. I checked the context, because it kind of looked like he was answering a question from TP, but as far as I can see that's not the case, and he simply has given two different reactions to TP, the second as if he'd never made the first.
3) Third time's the charm. Once again, his accusations do not line up with what the players themselves have done.

1) Mute jumps on Stels' inaccurate accusation of TP role-fishing
2) Said he was less suspicious of Nachomamma because he was scum in the last game, even though two probabilities are independent, no good reason and looks a little buddying (although SO much buddying in this game it's unbelievable)
3) Concerned with others' perspective on him as demonstrated by this quote about his map (though, dude, 90% of those fights about the map were fluff): "With it out here, then there's a solid "this guy will be scum hunting everyone," so everyone can see that until I find a reason to see you as undeniably town, then I will think you're scum."
4) His persistence on Workdawg in the face of all logic, though Dawg took down arguments on 2 separate occasions.
5) Mute says this of Workdawg:
Let me remind you of something: town doesn't need to worry about being lynched, only in lynching scum. Scum want to stay alive to win.
Town as a whole wins when all scum are lynched. Rephrased: Even if a townie is dead if all scum are dead then all the townies win.

This is the opposite of true. Workdawg's responses are the very thing that gives him townie points, especially after his questionable maneuver at the beginning.

Veridis really needs to post more, and I'm somewhat surprised by Nacho's reticence given his role as IC.

But for now:
VOTE: Stels
That's L-1, giving us about 5 days before a lynch.
Town: 7-4
Scum: 2-2
TBD: 3
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #376 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Post by Mute »

A) I'm not unsure of you being scum dawg. Now however everyone is focusing on a second target.
And thank you Sundy for your input, and I am sorry you won't get to Neuky but
Vote: Stels

Enjoy the sunset everyone.
:dead:
-Hard to see big picture behind pile of corpses-
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #377 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Post by Workdawg »

ZOMG
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #378 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:25 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Twilight talking is allowed, so why don't you reason that vote, Mute?
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #379 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:25 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

give reason for*

I just find it extraordinarily odd that you're afraid of putting Stels at L-1, but you're happy with lynching him?
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #380 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:29 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Mute, I'm working on pre-end of the day ISOs right now, but I know you just didn't log off after that if you were town.

Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #381 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Post by Mute »

Nachomamma8 wrote:give reason for*

I just find it extraordinarily odd that you're afraid of putting Stels at L-1, but you're happy with lynching him?
Wasn't afraid, just didn't want to put them into hammer-position.
Making the case that I'm not afraid to hammer someone; also if it were someone other than Stels I wouldn't have hammered but I had suspicions of my own on him so yeah.

And no I didn't log off, I had to bring in frozen shrimp (which I'm allergic to so why they were even bought if no one will eat them is beyond me), and am playing BLOps ATM.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #382 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:42 pm

Post by Workdawg »

I.... I don't even know what to say here.

I've been drinking (Sailor Jerry is SOOOO delicious), and part of me wants to just sit here wait for others to get on this... but I know I'm supposed to speak my mind, so here it is.

I read Mute's ISO and I don't see him mention of Stels really at all. Either positive or negative... holy crap. It's going to sound gloriously hypocritical, but W T F. Is this not incredibly scummy? He was just talking about lynching a lurker instead of someone (me) that he was convinced was scum... now he shows up and drops the hammer on Stels? Come on now, NO reason at all given. I made the newbie mistake at the beginning of the game doing this and nearly got lynched for it. Mute was on driving that wagon, and then he does the same thing? I cannot believe it.

I'm going to throw this out there.... Mute/Sundy scum team? They see someone at L-2 and both lay their votes down? It seems like it'd be a stupid move to me, but hey.

=======

@PEdit: Mute is still here, I'm waiting with bated breath for his reason.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #383 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Why didn't you put him at L-1 when you were willing to hammer?

Why is putting someone in the position to be hammered less of a deal than actually hammering? Why were afraid of him being hammered?

@Workdawg:
WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT CALLING SCUMTEAMS.

Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #384 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:50 pm

Post by Workdawg »

LOL... BUT COACH! ALL THE COOL KIDS ARE DOIN' IT!
Sundy
Sundy
Goon
Sundy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #385 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Post by Sundy »

Holy quickhammer!!
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #386 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Post by Drench »

Verifying lynch. Stand by!
join your union
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #387 (ISO) » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:34 pm

Post by Drench »

The Twelfth Vote Count - Good Day, Good Sirtheplague42
Neuky - 1 - Stels
Mute
Workdawg
Sundy
veridis
Stels - 5 - Nachomamma8, Ty, theplague42, Sundy, Mute
Ty - 1 - veridis
Nachomamma8

Not Voting - 2 - Neuky, Workdawg

Live, from New York, it's Saturday night!

Stels, Mafia Goon, Lynched Day One

It is now Night. Any actions may now be sent. Day Two will commence in 72 hours. In addition, veridis is being prodded.
join your union
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #388 (ISO) » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:25 am

Post by Drench »

The thread will open in approximately 12-14 hours. Apologies for the wait.
join your union
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #389 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 am

Post by Drench »

oh, okay then

Nachomamma8, Town Cop, Killed Night One

With seven alive, it's four to lynch! Deadline is set for 10:46pm, February 2nd (GMT+11).
join your union
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #390 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:19 am

Post by theplague42 »

Nacho was cop? He hadn't looked like one to me. I guess it was the usual meta of killing the town-IC.

Vote: Workdawg

Self-explanatory.

FoS: Mute

Appears to be bad bussing, but advice trumps bussing IMO.
Part of the problem.
Sundy
Sundy
Goon
Sundy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #391 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:44 am

Post by Sundy »

Can you sum up your case, TP? I am guessing it boils down to these ideas:

1) Stels giving "advice" to Dawg
2) Stels saying Dawg/Mute was town-on-town

In regard to 2, it seems like this could be a bid to protect Mute just as well
In regard to 1, Stels was being suspicious (trying to paint Dawg into a box based on something he didn't say), but I don't get why he'd tell another scum to claim VT, you'd think he'd want the opposite

I have good vibes from Dawg and I am feeling much more like a
VOTE: Mute
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #392 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:50 am

Post by Workdawg »

And so it begins, I suppose.

First of all, I’m honestly surprised to see Stels flip scum. I didn’t get that from him very much.

But this post is not about him.

Second, I have a case to post against Mute, but it seems I have to defend myself first.

Could you at least do me the service of providing a reason, or specific case, that I could attempt to refute? I've already shown that Stels had provided other people with advice too. Voting for me based on the play of someone else who flips scum is a pretty weak argument if you ask me. Especially when the idea of the team was proposed so early that it would be extremely easy for that scum player to buddy up to me to draw attention away from his partner. I guess I understand why Nacho said not to deal in scumteams...

===================

I’ve read Mute’s ISO completely. I think he’s come across as EXTREMELY scummy recently. I looked at other people’s ISOs, but no one looks nearly as scummy to me. I typed up about 1.5 pages in M$ Word, narrow margins, 10 pt font with the intent to post the whole thing. Instead, I’ve decided just to do a quick overview to save you all from the wall. If anyone wants me to elaborate on parts of it, I would be more than happy to. If you want to avoid the semi-wall below… then here ya go.

Tl;dr: I think Mute is probably scum and he bussed Stels to try and get suspicion on me for the Stels/Workdawg scumteam idea that’s been floating about.

(When I refer to post numbers below, it’s the post #/ISO #)

Mute posts a huge wall against me. I refute it, post my character profiles, and talk my way out of a mislynch. Mute disputes ONE part of my counter wall, and a weak one, then pretty much forgets it even exists. He decides he needs to “reconsider some things.” (267/51)

He posts a couple times during the Stels debate, answering questions defending Stels (why would he do this? 278/53, 281/54), agrees with TP42 about possible Stels/Workdawg scumteam (286/55) and even appears to be buddying up with Stels a little bit (300/57). Not once does he say anything about Stels being suspicious during that entire argument.

At 296/56, he mentions that Neuky and Ty have proposed one of the lurkers could be scum, but says that it “only makes weak sense,” but then he gets on the Lynch a Lurker wagon because those slots have provided little to no content. This piques my interest and I try (unsuccessfully) to get him to tell me why lynching a lurker is better than lynching someone that he feels is scum (me). He avoids giving a straight answer the entire time (see
One final note
below for thoughts on that)

Sundy finally gets caught up and posts his case against Stels and casts the L-1 vote. Then, out of nowhere, Mute shows up and hammers him with the reason, (added after the fact) “Making the case I’m not afraid to hammer someone… I had my suspicions of my own on him so yeah.”

It’s important to note here that Neuky already said he would be willing to vote for Stels but wanted to wait to see what Sundy had to say in case one of the replacements was a newb and came in with a quick hammer. With Sundy making a legitimate case against Stels, it seems imminent that Neuky would have come in to lay down the hammer. Instead of letting Neuky do it, Mute jumps on the wagon, out of nowhere, and hammers with no reason provided.

One final note

In his hammer post, he also seems to reply to the question in #373. But his answer doesn’t make any sense. If you read my post where I lay out option A and B, A is “A) Why you are unsure I am scum now?” When he replies though, he says “A” and something completely contrary to what A says.
Mute in 376 wrote:A) I'm not unsure of you being scum dawg. Now however everyone is focusing on a second target.
Is he “Appealing to Majority” here? Is he trying to justify his vote with that statement, saying everyone else is doing it? Or is he just admitting that other people don’t really think I’m scum any more so he thinks he must be wrong? I don’t know what to make of it.

VOTE: Mute
Last edited by Drench on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #393 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:54 am

Post by Workdawg »

WTF... the quote above, right in the middle of the laswt paragraph is broken... :/

@Drench
can you fix that up for me? I can't even tell what the issue is.

Done.
Last edited by Drench on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sundy
Sundy
Goon
Sundy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #394 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:07 am

Post by Sundy »

@Dawg, I don't think you have a quotation around the name of the person you're quoting. [quote=Sundy]check it![/quote] p-edit: oh crap I don't know what's wrong then

@Mute, I'd like details as to why and when you had suspicions of Stel... "That I'm not afraid to hammer" is not a good justification for doing so and it is in fact a scummy one as it suggests that you hammered for our benefit, to prove something about yourself
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #395 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:18 am

Post by Workdawg »

You need quotes around the name of the person... I think it might be an issue of ascii chars. Those quotes don't look quote right compared to these... " " " "

I wrote all that up in word in preparation for the start of Day 2... so yeah.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #396 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:59 am

Post by Mute »

Zeroth:
@Mod: How'd that prod work out, will veridis be here or are you going to look for someone else (again)?

Firstly: I am withholding my vote. Dawg, you're not my top suspect any longer.

Secondly: Nacho you idiot. This is why I say that; why did you make yourself a target? =_= *sigh* Well, at least with your death finding the last scum will be easy. But..
Nachomamma8 wrote:@Stels:
Nothing fun happens until Day 3 :(. But I'm likely to be killed early in this game, so I might as well make the best out of the time I have, right?
Just lynch the last scum after I'm gone, okay?
I can guess he assumed he was going to die? Iuno. I'll make sure the last scum is found though.

Thirdly: @Sundy- Go read Stels' first few posts. Read the posts of his where he mentions Nacho. I can't describe it but they felt out of place for me, especially the first post of his where "he was happy to see him." Combined later on with he says how townie Nacho can be, but this really stood out. Why? At the end, the "hope you're not scum" and "would like to sweep scum with you;" these were trying too hard. They were weaker cases and I didn't mention them, as most of my focus was towards Dawg.

Fourth: Nacho was the cop, meaning that either the last mafia is a godfather, or a goon, and town may or may not have a doctor still in hiding. I will assume the 2 goon-1 cop-6 town setup from today on with my case making. I don't wanna have a case built up on relying on a doctor if there isn't one.

Fifth: I believe Ty to be town, Neuky may be town, and I know I am town. This is all I will reveal at the moment until I can organize my thoughts better.

Lastly: You may not like my defense for lynching Stels. That's cool if you don't. I wanted to hammer because, if I were to put them into L-1 people might start to re-think their votes. This is the frustration I had with Dawg. While it still amazes me everyone's accepted that it was a "newbie mistake" of his to nearly lynch Ty, it is only so because of him repeating it over and over, and everyone just accepting it as true. Psychology has a term for this, where if an individual repeats something over and over, the group will eventually accept it to be true. I did not and I will not fall for it, and I still call it a scum-slip, but Nacho's posts are why he was killed and I intend to find out why.
Neuky
Neuky
Goon
Neuky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #397 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:31 am

Post by Neuky »

Ok - 5 people voted to lynch Stels, but add me as well, as Mute beat me to it.

That's six out of 9 players. Stels voted for me, and veridis had gone awol. That leaves Dawg not voting for him.

Now consider Stels' posts that we considered to be coaching.
There's only two things he could have been up to.
He was either coaching his scum buddy, or casting suspicions on a townie - but if he had done that to me, I'd have been very suspicious of him. So how could Dawg not see the scumminess of Stels' behaviour if everyone else could? The whole of day 1 - neither Stels nor Dawg got strongly on to each other - despite the two of them doing the scummiest things. Just plain odd.

As for Mute: The hammer was a real surprise, as I was going to ask Stels for a claim first.

It panned out OK of course.

Now, I know the Scum-Mute may have done that on purpose, but then, I would have thought he would have considered me asking Stels to claim first (wouldn't most of you?), and then he would have known that there was a decent chance that Stels claiming a PR may have bought them an extra day as a scum pair, at the cost of (most likely) a town-Dawg lynch. If there's something wrong with my logic, let me know. Here's one for Ty/sundy - surely most scum hammering scum events occur after a claim (probably a VT one at that no?)

VOTE: Workdawg
Played 2 - won as town 0 - lost as town 2 - won as scum 0 - lost as scum 0 - Yep, I'm doing that well...
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #398 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:59 am

Post by Workdawg »

@Mute

You seem to contradict yourself here. The very first line says I'm not your top suspect anymore... but the last paragraph is pretty much all about how I talked my way out of getting lynched and you "aren't buying" my claims of being town. Either I'm town or I'm not, there is no other option. You can't "not buy it" and think someone else is scum, especially now that there is only one scum left. Before Stels got lynched, there was a legit reason to focus on someone else. You could ignore me and build your case for a lynch against another player. Now you have to choose one person.

I think Nacho got NKd simply because he was the IC. The choice of NKing an experienced player seems obvious, even to me, and Ty has barely been around at all. Nacho and Stels have both said that the game, and their own scum hunting, really starts to pick up after the first day. That would mean the experienced players become a greater threat at that time. I don't think it had anything to do with anything nacho said.

According to your list above, Neuky, Ty and you are town (3/9), Stels and Nacho are out (5/9), and I'm not your top suspect (6/9).
That leaves Sundy, veridis, and TP42.
TP42 has been acknowledged by others as pretty much the most town player in here so far, and I agree.
Sundy has come on pretty strong to me and appears town. He got the correct read on Stels, but then he picks a less likely second suspect in Mute? Everyone else was saying that I would look super scummy if Stels flipped scum. It seems like if Sundy was coming in to the game in that situation as scum, it would be SUPER easy to jump on that band wagon and get Stels lynched and then me mislynched D2.
veridis is AWOL again, so who knows. Again, just picking on a lurker for an easy lynch target.

Your reasoning for lynching Stels is still extremely weak to me(You even said so above!), despite him actually flipping scum. His conversation with Nacho simply seems like genuine friendly banter between two people who know each other to me. After the failhammer incident, I would expect everyone in this thread (myself included) to have a solid reason for laying down the hammer, but nope. You just come in swinging with an admittedly weak argument.

Lastly, according to the wiki... F11 setups with a cop are either 6 town, 1 cop, 2 goons or 5 town, 1 cop, 1 doc, 1 goon and 1 mafia RB. So either we are left with a goon and 6 town, or a doc, an RB and 5 town.

@Neuky

Don't forget the possibilty of scum bussing Stels. That would reduce the number of genuine votes by one. I already said that I didn't think he was that scummy and that the people who voted for him didn't really provide any good reasons. I would have been happy to vote for him if people had done so... but they didn't. I'd love to read some posts where there are solid reasons people provide for Stels to be lynched that didn't revolve around coincidence and the Stels/Dawg team.

It's also worth mentioning I think, I was caught in a terrible catch-22. If I had voted for Stels and he flipped scum, then everyone would simply accuse me of bussing him. I had already stated numerous times that I didn't see any good reason posted... If I vote for him and he flips town, then I'm simply "that guy" who jumped on the wagon for no reason and getting in on an easy mislynch, scum again.

As for your considerations in the middle. I think you are presenting a false dilema here. You present the following:
1. Stels is coaching his scum buddy.
2. Stels is casting suspicion on a town player.

I would propose 3. Stels was simply playing the SE role. Of course, this is just going to sound like I'm trying to hide behind that defense, but it's the truth. Like I said above, I never saw a GOOD reason to consider Stels scum posted.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #399 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:23 am

Post by Workdawg »

I've been going over Stels posts looking at the clues. The thing that sticks out to me the most is how worked up he gets about the nitpicking at his PR comment that ultimately leads to his lynch. It looks, to me at least, like he's just pissed off because playing the SE role has messed up his game, and who wouldn't be pissed off about that? That's something that's sort of unrelated to his game play. He was taking the time to help out newbies, and all he gets for it in return is lynched and leaving his partner hanging. If I really was his partner, I don't think he would have reacted the same. I think he would have kept his calm and tried to save himself more reasonably. The reason for this is simply that he had messed up the game himself. He made the stupid moves that lead to his demise out of attempts to win the game.

I would equate it, sort of, to being captain of a team of some sort. As a captain, you play two roles. You are both leader and player. If you take the leader role to seriously and the other team wins because you were focusing too much on leading the team, then you'd be mad at yourself for not just taking the reigns and winning the game by playing harder. If you lost the game despite trying your hardest, then there really isn't much more you could have done and the mental impact is less... IMO.

Maybe he was also pissed at you guys for getting on his wagon with weak reasons, who knows. Obviously I didn't read him correctly.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”