Newbie 1052 - Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #500 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:49 am

Post by Workdawg »

@Sundy

Your first quote there is the part that stuck out to me...
Concerned wrote:For what it's worth I think Ty did a very good job, the only marginally scummy thing he did was go for nacho early in the game...
It sounds VERY much to me like he is saying Ty did a good job of NOT acting scummy, which would imply that his slot is scum. He didn't say "Ty did a good job of scum hunting" or something else that would indicate town.

I was going to mention it in my post, but felt maybe I'd try the "let the bad guy lead me to his hideout" manuever this time.

As for the second quote, I'm not really sure he is accurate in saying he was a founding member of Stels' wagon. Many people were already all over Stels about the advice issue and Ty was simply the first person to vote him after all that started rolling. As I mentioned before, I found this suspicious because Ty had previously said he didn't feel the need to use his vote for pressure, but it seemed like he was doing it in this case.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #501 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:53 am

Post by theplague42 »

@Concerned

Can you elaborate more on why you think Sundy may be scum? Is it just process of elimination or something more?

Preview edit: Workdawg, that doesn't make much sense to me. IMO, Concerned is completely saying that Ty "did a very good job" as town. The only way it could mean otherwise would be if it was at the end of the game and we knew Ty was scum OR Concerned was either scum/cop and knew Ty was scum. Since Stels was scum, nobody who is still alive knows who the scum is except for the scum.
Part of the problem.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #502 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:56 am

Post by Workdawg »

If Ty was scum, the Concerned is scum, which is one of your conditions for it making sense...
Concerned
Concerned
Goon
Concerned
Goon
Goon

Post Post #503 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:56 am

Post by Concerned »

Ok well firstly I am not TY, my thoughts don't follow the exact path as his and I can only guess as to what he was thinking. Also mentioning Ty is kinda pointless as I am in the position of knowing he's not worth pursuing as a scum candidate for obvious reasons.

That said I agree with a lot of things he said, in my opinion most of the things he said made a lot of sense, however I will do my best to give you my interpretation of his play first I'll adress the post you mentioned.
Workdawg wrote: The first thing that jumped out to me was in ISO #5, point 4). He accuses me of wagon hopping and states the following:
Ty in ISO #5 wrote:By ISO #22, Workdawg is once again voting Mute, apparently the wagon for my lynch wasn’t going well-enough for Workdawg. To me, there’s a clear distinction on how you’ve been voting.
Instead of trying to hunt for scum, you’re trying to find the easiest way to get someone lynched. This is playing for the win condition of the scum, not the town.
Reading through his ISO, it looks like he's been doing the same thing. He was 3rd onto my wagon, and I don't necessarily blame him for that. I think I was the obvious target for a wagon at that point. But the reason for hopping on my wagon is what concerns me. Did he really feel that I was scum, or did he simply see me as a soft target? Both Nacho and Stels had expressed that they thought my play was just terrible newb town, but he didn't feel the same. I obviously can't comment on why he got on my case, but I can speculate.

I feel like he probably targeted me because I looked like an easy mislynch rather than an extra scummy player. He seemed to have a much bigger issue with Nacho than he did with me at the time, but he still came after me.

Firstly I don't think Ty was ever really serious about lynching nacho at that time. It's natural to be suspicious of authority at times, no one wants to be screwed over by the person who is supposed to be helping them. Also for people who haven't played with nacho he can come across as suspicious in the early game he is the type of player who doesn't enjoy the beginning of the game at all, at least from what I've observed.
As for his suspicion of you I think it was completely justified, when I first read through the game you were also my prime suspect for the beginning of the game. You did do a lot of scummy things in that early portion of the game I think you will agree with this. Your analysis of the situation is what I meant when I say that newb town often
look
for scumminess in every post. You look at a post and instead of objectively analyzing it you try and
find
scumminess. One of the major aspects of being town is we don't know anything. If you look at it from his position, he had no idea you weren't scum he has no idea about anyone alignment really, why is it more likely that he was going for an easy mis-lynch than the simple fact that he thought you were the scummiest player. You say both Nacho and stels thought you were noob town but that is THEIR opinion not Ty's Nacho has many many games under his belt and maybe has a better read over what constitutes noob town than Ty did, and Stels was scum... I mean really he thought you were newb town because HE KNEW YOU WERE NOOB TOWN. Scum are the informed minority, as townies we can only make the best decisions we can. Townies can be wrong. You are stretching here. You immediately see the scum intent in Ty and don't consider his views as a townie. The plague jumped on your wagon as well, why aren't you accusing him of exactly the same thing?

I think his statement holds more scumminess now though. He voted for Stels when all the heat was already on. He was only 2nd to vote, but it certainly seemed like it was warming up.

Up until Ty hopped on me, he hadn't yet voted for anyone. Now, in his exit post, he casts a vote for someone whom he "has mixed feeling about". He has said before that he doesn't feel the need to use his vote to apply pressure, but then what is he doing right now? He didn't build anything even close to resembling a case against Stels, he simply suggested that one of the experienced players is probably scum. With the typo from Drench saying Nacho is being replaced, the only other experienced player to vote for would have been Stels. It seems wholely contradictory to his play style before.

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 8#p2763078
Here TY gives his plausible theories he clearly states his opinions on possible scum teams and is willing to act on this one, he was also the second one on the wagon as you said, that hardly constitutes real
heat
when it comes to just jumping on the bandwagon. Once again I feel you are stretching to make this vote scummy as opposed to what it actually was - a townie acting on one of his plausible theories.

I feel like if his exit post was genuine, he would have stuck to his playstyle and attempted to build a case against the player he felt was most scummy, instead of completely switching it up and casting what can only be described as a "pressure vote." Did he see that my profiles went over so well that he thought he'd try the same thing to get heat off his replacement?

Did you even read the post where Ty voted for stels, it seems at that point Ty had narrowed down his suspects and possible scum pairings, even if stels had flipped town he would have been able to narrow down his possible scum pairings for future lynches, it was a smart vote and you are completely mis-representing him by saying it was a "pressure vote" that's not what he said that's your own
wrong
interpretation of events. Almost scum painting, this entire game you have seemed to find a person and then convinced yourself of that person's scumminess by going through everything that person has done and interpreting it in a way that makes them scummy. I'm not blaming you for this, and in fact it's something that I find newb-town players do a lot. You just need to keep in mind that your interpretation isn't always right, especially when you are trying to hard to make evidence fit that just isn't there.

The other thing that I noticed is that he really didn't do a very good job of defending himself against the initial concerns with his posts.

In ISO #4 he attempts to address the issues of; long posts, too much of a teacher, and tunneling nacho. An analysis of his defense for each follows:

1) Long Posts
He says, generally... Sorry. I don't understand how this is a scum tell. Please explain how long posts would be used to lurk.

He doesn't even really defend himself here. He just kind of dodges this, IMO. It was explained that his long posts were easier to hide misinformation in and that longer posts would look less like lurking than short quips. The argument at that point was that his posts were just filled with general advice and not anything directly useful to the game. I've already said that I don't feel like this was really scummy anymore, but he didn't bother to address it when it was an issue.

2) Being a Teacher
He'd feel bad about not teaching as an SE.

This is reasonable, but again, it doesn't really defend his actions from the issues at the time. It's easy to say that he was teaching, but for the reasons outlined above, it didn't seem like he was doing it in the best interests of the town. Again, he doesn't really address the issue. Just kind of dodges it.

3) Tunneling Nacho
This one I don't really have any issues with. Interestingly, it's also "the most reasonable response" he saw to why he was voted for.

Are you kidding me? Why should he bother defending his long posts or his teaching THOSE AREN'T SCUM TELLS AT ALL. Really you are trying to hard here. He's right in saying that him tunneling nacho was the only reason he thought was valid because it's the only marginally scummy thing he's done.

===========
In short your case agaisnt him is rubbish, you are stretching and finding meaning where there is none. I'm not taking a dig, I understand you are a new player but seriously that isn't a case. If I went through all your posts and tried to find scumminess in them I could make a wall so big it would dwarf that Chinese monstrosity, but to me scum hunting is about finding hidden agenda's and subtle malicious intent.

Someone give me a summarized version of Mute's argument so I can illustrate why I disagree.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #504 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:57 am

Post by Workdawg »

EBWOP:
bah...
then* Concerned is scum...

I read it over and over again and it just doesn't really make sense any other way, to me.
Concerned
Concerned
Goon
Concerned
Goon
Goon

Post Post #505 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 am

Post by Concerned »

EBWOP: I didn't read this thread as thouroughly as I would have liked, I did skim parts of it partially because it would have taken hours to read through everything carefully, hours I don't have - but mostly to preserve my own sanity.
Concerned
Concerned
Goon
Concerned
Goon
Goon

Post Post #506 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:04 am

Post by Concerned »

Wait is mute getting all this heat because he is no longer active?
That's a stupid argument, mute has had pressure on him before and plenty of it and responded at the time.

There are many many reasons why he could be laying low for now, maybe he is just sick and tired of defending himself, maybe he is busy in real life or he's simply lost interest in the game, it happens to the best of us.
Why would scum-mute defend himself so vigorously at earlier stages of the game but give up now? You can't credibly argue that mute's lack of activity is a scum tell imo.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #507 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:08 am

Post by theplague42 »

Concerned, I really hate to ask this but could you possibly close off quote tags and such? Reading the different colored fonts and stuff hurts my eyes. Now I know what Mute feels like :( Sorry again for that.

Preview edit: Pretty much. I think that we may be expecting too much from him.
Part of the problem.
Concerned
Concerned
Goon
Concerned
Goon
Goon

Post Post #508 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:11 am

Post by Concerned »

@Concerned
Can you elaborate more on why you think Sundy may be scum? Is it just process of elimination or something more?
It is largely process of elimination, I also didn't say Sundy was scum, I just feel like the last scum is in the set of {Sundy, Sordas}. When asano was playing that slot I felt it was extremely scummy yes.
He voted for stels and even though it was a bit late he does get town points for that but are you sure you aren't falling into the trap of thinking someone who agrees with your views is town? Hypothetically if you are town, someone agreeing with you doesn't make them town as well. Perhaps they find what your are saying useful to their own agenda.

@ThePlague, I will do so :P. Just seemed like the easiest way at the time, do you want me to repeat what I said in a better format? Have you tried highlighting that post to makes things a little clearer it might help.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #509 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:16 am

Post by theplague42 »

I certainly hope I'm not falling into a trap... I was mainly asking because you hadn't given a big post on him like you did for a couple others. The post is fine too, so no need to repeat it. Highlighting definitely helps. I think it's mostly the blue-on-tan that's most discontenting.
Part of the problem.
Sundy
Sundy
Goon
Sundy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #510 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:48 am

Post by Sundy »

Concerned wrote:Wait is mute getting all this heat because he is no longer active?
That's a stupid argument, mute has had pressure on him before and plenty of it and responded at the time.

There are many many reasons why he could be laying low for now, maybe he is just sick and tired of defending himself, maybe he is busy in real life or he's simply lost interest in the game, it happens to the best of us.
Why would scum-mute defend himself so vigorously at earlier stages of the game but give up now? You can't credibly argue that mute's lack of activity is a scum tell imo.
I really should not be on Mafiascum at the moment, as I have a physics midterm in 1 hour, but what the hey. I skimmed through Mute's ISO real fast, and I would argue that the pressure against him now is qualitatively different than it was at the beginning of the game. At that point, he's almost entirely responding to arguments about his table, which clearly did not give a tell one way or the other. I would wager that experienced players were making this exact point even as the pressure on him was mounting (though I'll have to check on that later). I think the pressure is of a different variety now, and linked to an action (hammering) that I think Mute now knows to be a mistake. So he's got more of a guilty conscience now, and finds defense harder.

I would agree with you 100% if he'd just checked out without any evidence, but he's been doing things like self-voting, appealing to emotion, speculating on NKs (though that could be a newbie mistake), and promising detailed posts that never appear.
Mute wrote:People wanna lynch me, their choice. If they feel it's right then I can do but give what I've got and hope people listen to it, whether I'm alive or dead.
^^ problematic
Town: 7-4
Scum: 2-2
TBD: 3
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #511 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:03 am

Post by Drench »

The Fifteenth Vote Count - Oh Snaptheplague42
Neuky
Mute - 3 - Workdawg, theplague42, Sundy
Workdawg
Sundy
sordros
Concerned - 1 - sordros

No Lynch

Not Voting - 3 - Concerned, Mute, Neuky

With seven alive, it's four to lynch!

Day Two's deadline expires on the 2nd of March at 10:46pm AEDST (GMT+11).

Mute and Neuky have been prodded.
join your union
Neuky
Neuky
Goon
Neuky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #512 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:49 am

Post by Neuky »

Prodded again - sorry. Got an e-mail and have come on to say I'm here. (Better than just posting a letter..)

I haven't had a chance to thoroughly read the new stuff yet, but I can say that I haven't been idle - I was reading Stels' ISO again during my lunch hour, and his post 148 I think could hold certain key info - indeed, I'm not keen on lynching Mute at this moment.
It's late here, and I need to have a fresh look at everything. I'll post more tomorrow - it's getting late in GMT-land..
Played 2 - won as town 0 - lost as town 2 - won as scum 0 - lost as scum 0 - Yep, I'm doing that well...
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #513 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Post by Mute »

Hi.
Had the flu the past few days thanks to the sudden shift from bluh bluh 20 degrees to the now 60 degree wonderfulness of today and yester. been wondering how best to approach this asinine idea o'mine and a thought occured.
I might be crazy in suggesting this and can easily not as it's yet done but give an oral presentation instead of a text one for my page-by-page thing. Would you guys would like that? I really don't feel like typing much in ways of walls.

-sees vote count along with prod-
Oh hey Sundy.
Yeah, I still say I'm not worried about being lynched. I only have anything to lose if the sole scum eliminates you all.
Oh hey the replacement for useless Naben posted stuff, and voted Ty. Cool. Hey we are finally getting content from a slot that thus far has done abso-****ing-lutely nothing this game. Why aren't the few posts of his being examined? Why is the lack of any real town-guided posts called into question?
:dead:
-Hard to see big picture behind pile of corpses-
Sundy
Sundy
Goon
Sundy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #514 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:26 pm

Post by Sundy »

An oral presentation? Like a Youtube video or something? That might revolutionize Mafiascum. :eek:

PS guys, physics is hard!!
Town: 7-4
Scum: 2-2
TBD: 3
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #515 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Post by Mute »

Sundy wrote:An oral presentation? Like a Youtube video or something? That might revolutionize Mafiascum. :eek:

PS guys, physics is hard!!
I don't have any video making software. If I could just upload an audio file to Utube then sure. Otherwise I had wanted to use something like mediafire.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #516 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Post by Workdawg »

Just raw, uncut Mute screaming into his webcam PLZ! lol
Concerned
Concerned
Goon
Concerned
Goon
Goon

Post Post #517 (ISO) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Post by Concerned »

@Sordros, Your current vote is on my slot, how do you feel that stels and this slot have interacted in a likely way that we are scum buddies?
It also seems like your main concern with this slot is based on Ty's silly RvS comment, do you really think it's likely scum buddies would be fingering each other so early in the game? Knowing either of them could be lynched, and their "breadcrumbs" discovered. Do you think it's possible that Ty just made a lucky shot in the dark?

@Mute, I do find your hammer a little bit suspicious, did you consider the consequences of the hammer? Did you expect people to react the way they did to your hammer?
sordros
sordros
Goon
sordros
Goon
Goon

Post Post #518 (ISO) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:09 am

Post by sordros »

Concerned wrote:@Sordros, Your current vote is on my slot, how do you feel that stels and this slot have interacted in a likely way that we are scum buddies?
It also seems like your main concern with this slot is based on Ty's silly RvS comment, do you really think it's likely scum buddies would be fingering each other so early in the game? Knowing either of them could be lynched, and their "breadcrumbs" discovered. Do you think it's possible that Ty just made a lucky shot in the dark?
Well, I think if there is ANY right place for scum buddies to be fingering each other would only be during RVS, since it can easily be later dismissed as just random thoughts or jokes. After all, this is a game, and wouldn't it be extremely fun to win the game after playing around with the clueless townies like that?

Sure, it could also have been a lucky shot in the dark at Stels, but that's a 1/8 shot (around 12.5% chance), a pretty slim shot which would probably be dismissed by anyone. Of course this is just WIFOM, but considering that town would never expect scum to unearth their scum buddies easily like that, why not do it and gain a little town-vibe?
sordros
sordros
Goon
sordros
Goon
Goon

Post Post #519 (ISO) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:32 am

Post by sordros »

@Mute

Sorry to hear that you got a cold. I hope you feel better now.
I honestly would be grateful to avoid many more WoWs around, so if you could just have a short comment on the latest arguments on you that would be enough IMO.
sordros
sordros
Goon
sordros
Goon
Goon

Post Post #520 (ISO) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:34 am

Post by sordros »

EBWOP:
Oh, and the audio proposal sounds interesting. I don't know how that would fall into the mod rules though... it's a pretty interesting change of parameters :)
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #521 (ISO) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:34 pm

Post by Mute »

Sorry guys, having issues with the software. It likes to erase anything I say. =|
Looking into getting something not a POS. Friend recommended something called Audacity.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #522 (ISO) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Mute do you have a Mac or PC?
Part of the problem.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #523 (ISO) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:10 pm

Post by Mute »

That is a ridiculous and silly question plague. PC.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #524 (ISO) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Meh :P Never mind then, I've got a Mac.
Part of the problem.