Newbie 1081: Showdown in Newbtown (Game Over, Mafia win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:54 am

Post by Fatso »

h3ll0 wrote:
Fatso wrote:
Ok, maybe I spoke too soon here
. Imitating can be scummy, but in this case (if it was even imitating, which I doubt) it wasn't really IMO.
Jumpiness noted. What do you mean you spoke too soon?
Um, I mean
I spoke before I thought about other possibilities of imitating.
h3ll0 wrote:
Fatso wrote:Imitating is scummy if it has to do with an actual opinion, but imitating techniques for posting and (in this case) getting others to talk isn't.
I beg to differ. In this case, what sarahfish89 did was to "imitate techniques for getting others to talk", all while
not posting
any actual content. This is a clear cut example of what we call active lurking, which is extremely scummy.
I guess this is more of a matter of opinion, I simply didn't see the post in question as being particularly scummy, but rather as being a newbie imitating what seemed to be a normal method of play. Let me look back at the post, I haven't seen it in a while, and maybe I'm remembering in wrong. I don't think so though.
"Don't shuffle that deck, it's stacked!"

-Fatso
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:04 am

Post by Fatso »

I looked back at the post, and it really doesn't seem scummy.
Oh, and here's the Bulvious's post I referred to previously:
Bulvious wrote:Lol @ Fatso ^^^^

I don't like BS. V/la when she already wasn't putting anything out there. Lamelame
She's also the only one to have not voted - fail voter for the day? When I say "I'd hammer a lurker as of now." It would probably be her.

-Fatso
alnkpa
alnkpa
Townie
alnkpa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:00 am

Post by alnkpa »

Well Fatso, until now I didn't have you on my personal scum list, but now as you being quite sensitive about some accusations made against you I do. Although you were rather talkative the whole game you now seem to exaggerate. So many consecutive posts seem rather scummy to me. Why did you need to have 3 posts in a row to answer some questions?
UNVOTE:
VOTE: Fatso

Zdenek, could you please consider reasoning your votes as such seemingly random voting seems rather scummy to me.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:07 am

Post by Fatso »

alnkpa wrote:Well Fatso, until now I didn't have you on my personal scum list, but now as you being quite sensitive about some accusations made against you I do. Although you were rather talkative the whole game you now seem to exaggerate. So many consecutive posts seem rather scummy to me. Why did you need to have 3 posts in a row to answer some questions?
UNVOTE:
You give no examples for the first two accusations, how do you expect me to formulate a defense? As for the consecutive posts, I just find it rather difficult to quote multiple posts in a single post. Posting multiple times is easier. So yeah, that's REAL scummy...

-Fatso
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:14 am

Post by startransmission »

A quick word about my schedule. Saturday and Sunday make up 30 hours of my work week. After work on those days my coworkers and I usually hit up a bar. By the time I get home I've had a very long day and am a bit drunk to boot. Posting for me is... erratic on the the weekends. I try to make an effort on Saturdays, but am not always successful. So, Monday thru Friday is where I'll be most active, which kinda sucks as weekends are when activity usually spikes in most games.

I'll read up on what I've missed and share my thoughts shortly.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:23 am

Post by Fatso »

If you don't mind my asking, what job do you do?

-Fatso
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:31 am

Post by Zdenek »

alnkpa wrote: Zdenek, could you please consider reasoning your votes as such seemingly random voting seems rather scummy to me.
Only my first vote was random.
I have secret plans and clever tricks.
- The Enormous Crocodile.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:45 am

Post by Fatso »

alnkpa wrote: Zdenek, could you please consider reasoning your votes as such seemingly random voting seems rather scummy to me.
(I didn't really look at this before, seeing as it wasn't addressing me personally).
Seriously, what are you talking about? Not making much sense at all here.

And, by the way, do we even have a mod any more? (no offense mod, if you're actually there, but we have a fallacious vote count still up. And lynchking hasn't posted in five days, yet to my knowledge has not been prodded).

-Fatso
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:23 am

Fatso wrote:If you don't mind my asking, what job do you do?
I run a kitchen. Saturday and Sundays are brunch days, and the way way we do brunch and the amount of volume we do make for an exhausting weekend.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Bulvious
Bulvious
Goon
Bulvious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:32 am

Post by Bulvious »

Fatso wrote
:
Ok, first off that was 5 (I think, maybe 4) days ago. Are you in a time warp or something?
Really? 5 days ago?

In response to the question Sarahfish89 made on March 26th, you said “Bulvious”, on the same day. That's March 26th when you made that response.
You corrected me March 27th.
My response came March 28th.
March 27th is one day after March 26th, not five. But good luck trying to convince people it's ME in the time warp.
Fatso wrote
:
I guess this is more of a matter of opinion, I simply didn't see the post in question as being particularly scummy, but rather as being a newbie imitating what seemed to be a normal method of play. Let me look back at the post, I haven't seen it in a while, and maybe I'm remembering in wrong. I don't think so though.
It's really not a matter of opinion. Everyone has their own playstyle. There is no developed norm for a newb to follow, no set playstyle. To mimic is to be something your not. If you're not being what you are – you're A. Playing the game poorly. Or B. Probably scum.
Either way, not a bad spot to lynch if it a decision can't be made.

alnpka wrote
:
Well Fatso, until now I didn't have you on my personal scum list, but now as you being quite sensitive about some accusations made against you I do. Although you were rather talkative the whole game you now seem to exaggerate. So many consecutive posts seem rather scummy to me. Why did you need to have 3 posts in a row to answer some questions?
UNVOTE:

Zdenek, could you please consider reasoning your votes as such seemingly random voting seems rather scummy to me.
I have many, many problems with this post. First off, Fatso is clearly new and clearly doesn't REALLY know what he's doing. He's trying to make cases albeit weak ones that he DOES exaggerate. Outside of a noob game, I could see all of your accusations being all well, other than the 'consecutive posts' argument. That's just awful. There's no edit button, sometimes things are missed. Plus, he said he has nothing better to do. To me, YOUR case is the one that's exaggerated – plus you give no examples, as Fat said.

Starstransmission wrote
:
I run a kitchen. Saturday and Sundays are brunch days, and the way way we do brunch and the amount of volume we do make for an exhausting weekend.
It's getting really tiring seeing the same food over and over again, too. I work a sushi bar inside of a grocery store. I wish I had a busy day, customers are few and far between!
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:02 am

Post by Fatso »

Bulvious wrote:Really? 5 days ago?

In response to the question Sarahfish89 made on March 26th, you said “Bulvious”, on the same day. That's March 26th when you made that response.
You corrected me March 27th.
My response came March 28th.
March 27th is one day after March 26th, not five. But good luck trying to convince people it's ME in the time warp.
I was referring to my original post when I said that. I thought you were too, but clearly I was wrong. Could you quote these posts for me, just to make sure we're thinking of the same things now?

-Fatso
Bulvious
Bulvious
Goon
Bulvious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Post by Bulvious »

No, but you can go back and check the dates. I'm not going to do your work for you.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:17 pm

Right now I'm most interested in Sarafish. I'll refer to her as SF from now on. She's not necessarily my only suspect right now, but she's definitely worth discussing. Almost everything she says raises an eyebrow.
Zdenek wrote:Sarahfish's posts detailing how she feels on each player was fairly pointless and I could see scum feeling the need to make a post like that in order to try to appear helpful. I'm also concerned that she has no scum reads because it's often hard for scum to fake scum reads.
I agree, it was my first reaction upon reading her post. It was pure fluff, and I noted that she handed out townie cards more than anything. That always concerns me.

I see in her profile that she's a 12 year old girl. Or at least claims to be. Part of me worries that that is an attempt to justify a VI meta, a wolf in sheep's clothing kinda thing. And there have been spots of her posting that encourage my suspicion of that,
sarahfish89 wrote:I was? Oh I see what you mean, I guess I was doing this without realising but you did need to post more
The above being an example. I know it's weak, but something here really gets my gut.
Bulvious wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:

Question: Apart from me, who do you think is the most scummiest at the moment? Same with townie. (other people can answer too)
I don't like this question, at all. To me, this is a question scum would ask in order to find out who the night kill needs to be and who to turn people against. That's... Bad.
And that's why I usually won't answer those questions, at least not on the first day, and usually not on the second either. But right now I'm torn between seeing SF as newbtown or newbscum. Either way I think the kind of fishing that you're perceiving might be giving her a little too much credit. It's certainly not something to disregard however. If she's scum I would more be likely to consider the questions intent to be more a of topic changer from her (as h3llo brought up) vote than what you're worried about.

Her defense of Fatso is interesting as well. She may well be ingratiating herself to Fatso, or they are partners. Considering that she handed out either townie or null cards to everybody, it's hard to say. Fatso's reaction was natural, I always feel the same way when my play/opinion is congratulated or defended in a game. She says she's read enough games on this site to know that many newbies feel about RVS the way Fatso does, and they end up being townie. I don't think I buy that, or at least it rings very untrue.

I think what my main concern is regarding SF is that I get a phony vibe from her. None of her actions are so specifically scummy that they couldn't be made by a newbtown player. But she says she's not a newb player, but somebody who's played elsewhere for a year and that's read more than one game here. She would have been... 10? 11? when she started playing mafia. Not impossible, but not likely either. Combined with the way that she explains her actions, including her vote on lynchking, that my gut feels is as or more likely to be relaxed dishonesty as it is words from a newbtown player.

Also not at all a fan of BS's disappearance. If her VLA was in fact an attempt to duck out of the first few days of the game and slide back in, I think in the end it will have backfired for her. However her RL may very well be what's actually holding her up, and I won't vote for her for being busy. I very much want to hear her thoughts. But the timing
is
fishy. Naturally the same argument could be made about my timing. Never said I wasn't a hypocrite. :D
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Post by Fatso »

Bulvious wrote:No, but you can go back and check the dates. I'm not going to do your work for you.
Ok, seriously, that's not what I meant at all. You're making this harder than it has to be. I looked back and checked the date of the only post that I have in response to your response to my original post, and it was on the 24th, not the 26th. Just quote the freaking posts you're referring to and we can sort this thing out.

-Fatso
Bulvious
Bulvious
Goon
Bulvious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:14 pm

Post by Bulvious »

Post #74
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Post by Fatso »

Hmm... I originally thought you were talking about this post (and the ones that followed in reference to it):
Fatso wrote:
Unvote

for now. I'm satisfied with lynchking's response.
The only person I'm overtly suspicious of now is you, Bulvious. I don't really understand why you're making such a big deal out of me not liking RVS, and then not liking the fact that I voted when it was practically requested I do so. I have to say, you do seem more super-actively-scumhunting-towny than anything else (from my experience).
But #74 has almost nothing to do with that. I have to admit, I'm still confused.

-Fatso
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Post by Fatso »

startransmission wrote:
Fatso wrote:The mafia is at a HUGE disadvantage then, aren't they?
Considering the advantages they already possess, no, not really. Keep them guessing.
I've done a little reading since. Just to clarify why I thought it would be such a huge disadvantage, I was unaware that the RB could still NK if the goon had been lynched.

-Fatso
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:13 pm

startransmission wrote:Also not at all a fan of BS's disappearance. If her VLA was in fact an attempt to duck out of the first few days of the game and slide back in, I think in the end it will have backfired for her. However her RL may very well be what's actually holding her up, and I won't vote for her for being busy.
It should be noted that my vote is already on her. Didn't remember that tidbit when I posted. I won't change my vote, there's not a good enough reason to. However if my vote weren't on her already, I wouldn't move it on her only because her VLA came at an unfortunate time. By the way, that VLA is over, my opinion may change if she doesn't post in the next 24 hours. At that time my vote on that slot won't be random anymore, no matter if there is a replacement or not.

Speaking of potential replacements.
@MOD, this game needs an updated and corrected vote count, as well as an update on Lynchking's status
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
madenking
madenking
Townie
madenking
Townie
Townie

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Post by madenking »

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I've had way too much on my plate the past few days.

There's been a whole lot of discussion, which I'll need to read through and try to contribute to, later today.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Fatso wrote:
startransmission wrote:
Fatso wrote:The mafia is at a HUGE disadvantage then, aren't they?
Considering the advantages they already possess, no, not really. Keep them guessing.
I've done a little reading since. Just to clarify why I thought it would be such a huge disadvantage, I was unaware that the RB could still NK if the goon had been lynched.
Please read the rules of the game before starting, it's important. Not trying to sound like a dick, as I've made a similar mistake. After a dozen or so games I was lynched and made a bah! post. Not allowed in that particular game, though it was allowed in all others until that point. I didn't read the rules as I assumed I knew them. While most newb games have identical rules, it can't hurt to double check and make sure. Friendly tip!

Welcome back Lynchking. I eagerly await your thoughts.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Bulvious
Bulvious
Goon
Bulvious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 am

Post by Bulvious »

In post #74 it seemed as though you were answering the question asked at the end of post #73, Fat.
h3ll0
h3ll0
Townie
h3ll0
Townie
Townie

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:10 am

Post by h3ll0 »

First thing first.

From Post #74
Fatso wrote:Um,
Bulvious
and my posts weren't even in reference to you there...
Is where you answered sarahfish89's question. Dated Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:45 pm, based on my timezone (GMT +8)

From Post #94
Bulvious wrote:Additionally, Fatso, you say I'm the scummiest - fair enough. But why? -snip-
Is where Bulvious questions your answer. Dated Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:48 am

Duration between the two post is about 36 hours, or 1.5 days. Bulvious second reply came in half a day later.

And also, Fatso, it is barely 3 + days since the last vote count. Have patience. Most mods update around twice a week, so it's still on schedule on my count, especially since considering that antihero is not around.

And yes, I know, there is no content in this post, but I'm too distracted by the timing thing to not post this first. Also, awaiting sarahfish89's response
alnkpa
alnkpa
Townie
alnkpa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:13 am

Post by alnkpa »

For my accusation of Fatso:
Fatso wrote:Are you in a time warp or something?
I call something like that being sensitive though you may still correct me.
Fatso wrote:Let me look back at the post, I haven't seen it in a while, and maybe I'm remembering in wrong. I don't think so though.
This quote seems to me as if you were backing up to not attract attention. Two quite different emotions shortly one after another. I should clarify what I meant by "exaggerating": I talked about this backing up.
Maybe I wasn't giving examples, which is—and I don't want to conceal that—not good if you are voting someone. But I won't back up from my vote until I see someone who is attracting my scum-radar more than Fatso. Which is—and I am honest here—not sooo good.
Concerning the case of the triple post: Here you are right and I didn't think about it that we are not able to edit our posts. I personally just use the draft function so I can write a post and reread it. Especially for those big posts it's quite helpful.
Fatso wrote:
(I didn't really look at this before, seeing as it wasn't addressing me personally).
Seriously, what are you talking about? Not making much sense at all here.
I always feel a little bit irritated if someone just flashes up a vote with only a minimal explanation.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:37 am

Post by Fatso »

Bulvious wrote:In post #74 it seemed as though you were answering the question asked at the end of post #73, Fat.
Really? Huh. I wasn't, I was just clarifying that we (I see "we" because my that post SF referred to was in direct response to yours) were in reference to BS, not her.

-Fatso
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 am

Post by Fatso »

alnkpa wrote:For my accusation of Fatso:
Fatso wrote:Are you in a time warp or something?
I call something like that being sensitive though you may still correct me.
No, that was simply a fail attempt at humor.
alnkpa wrote:
Fatso wrote:Let me look back at the post, I haven't seen it in a while, and maybe I'm remembering in wrong. I don't think so though.
This quote seems to me as if you were backing up to not attract attention. Two quite different emotions shortly one after another. I should clarify what I meant by "exaggerating": I talked about this backing up.
Maybe I wasn't giving examples, which is—and I don't want to conceal that—not good if you are voting someone. But I won't back up from my vote until I see someone who is attracting my scum-radar more than Fatso. Which is—and I am honest here—not sooo good.
I can see how that might be misconstrued as "backing up to not attract attention," but I was simply saying that I could be remembering something wrong seeing as I hadn't looked at the post in a day or two.

-Fatso

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”