Newbie 1072 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #525 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:45 am

Post by Mute »

Ghostlin now that the game is over I'd like to ask you about that so-called "sub-optimal" scum play. =P
:dead:
-Hard to see big picture behind pile of corpses-
tclawren
tclawren
Goon
tclawren
Goon
Goon

Post Post #526 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:56 am

Post by tclawren »

OK, first off. Good game, scum. You had convinced nearly everyone that Ghostlin was scum. You even had me doubting myself a little bit from my view as a dead townie.

A few notes.

King: You earned this win, especially in LYLO. Great job.
Mute: I din't even suspect you until I did a VCA. Consider that a testament to your solid play.
Meransiel: I will say this once and only once. If you are a VT do not, ever, fake claim a PR. It confuses everyone a great deal for no reason at all.
Twistedspoon: I really can't say much about your play this game, as I didn't play with you much here.
Forseti: Same as TS
Charlie: Thanks for being our IC. You helped break us into the game very nicely and played a pretty good game yourself.
Dazzy: Don't beat yourself too bad about about the misplaced vote. It happens. You played a pretty solid town game overall, easily one of my strongest town reads.
Ghostlin: You did the best you could, sorry it turned out the way it did. Good job.

Thank you very, very much Vel-Rahn Koon for modding a thoroughly enjoyable and well-handled game.
Looking for a hydra partner. Must be someone I respect as a player and a person. PM me if you're interested.
Meransiel
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #527 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:31 am

Post by Meransiel »

Wow, I feel really weird about this. I mean, I claimed PR to drive the roleblock towards me, trying to prevent any harm or impediment to stop the Power Roles.

And THEN, I antagonized and thought of as scum Ghostlin, one of the very PR I was trying to keep safe (and hidden). I feel like contributing to the town loss, and am really sorry, guys.
Voltaire fan. (yes, both of them). If you are a fan as well, pm me, and we'll converse for hours about why they're awesome.
KingTwelveSixteen
KingTwelveSixteen
Goon
KingTwelveSixteen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #528 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:25 am

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Meransiel wrote:All I know for sure is that king is town and Ghostlin is scum.

The night kill will reveal more.
Awesome. :D
Show
Win-Loss Ratio
2-3 Town
1-0 Scum
0-0 Third Party
3-3 overall
Meransiel
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #529 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:26 am

Post by Meransiel »

Hurr...
Voltaire fan. (yes, both of them). If you are a fan as well, pm me, and we'll converse for hours about why they're awesome.
KingTwelveSixteen
KingTwelveSixteen
Goon
KingTwelveSixteen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #530 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:28 am

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

tclawren wrote:I'm betting king and mute are scum. King is scum for sure.
Le gasp! Looks like we made the right kill-choice then.
Show
Win-Loss Ratio
2-3 Town
1-0 Scum
0-0 Third Party
3-3 overall
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #531 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:35 am

Post by Mute »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:
tclawren wrote:I'm betting king and mute are scum. King is scum for sure.
Le gasp! Looks like we made the right kill-choice then.
Surprisingly.
The moment Ghost revealed himself I was hitting myself on the head with "FUCK WE SHOULD HAVE KILLED GHOST!"

General comments to come next.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #532 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:59 am

Post by Mute »

Yeah, I gotta say the instant I saw Ghostlin out his role I was nervous as all hell.
King, I doubt that, in your shoes, I could have succeeded in getting town to lynch the claimed cop. Ghost's play up to was helpful in pushing for his lynch but your play was the icing on the cake. Think you've got a firm handle on how to play scum, and wouldn't mind playing with you again.

Ghost, all joshing aside, you were excellent. You played strong and you played your role to the best of your ability. As an SE you were good as well in educating the other players about various terminologies that I did not, and played your role strongly.

Forseti and TClaw: sorry guys. You were good town players, and looking back I am still not certain that we should have killed you TClaw, because of your reads. It was a challenge for king to push ghost's wagon, and I still feel that if he had died and his investigations gone with him pushing for the mislynch might have been better/easier, but you did correctly call both of us in the deadQT, so good work there.

Spoon & Meran: Hopefully you'll have learned from this game about town-play. Spoon, be more careful with your D1 play is the advice I can offer you. Don't talk less, I should also ass, since I remember you bringing that up. Remember however, quality > quantity.

Charlie: I stand by what I said about a doctor being just as good an investigative role as the cop, albeit in a more indirect way. You did well as an IC I think, which is certainly something I can't ever see myself doing. Aside from that D1 question that's really all I've gotta add about your play.

T'was a fun game to be a part of.
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #533 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:00 am

Post by Ghostlin »

Mute wrote:Ghostlin now that the game is over I'd like to ask you about that so-called "sub-optimal" scum play. =P
You did exactly what I thought you should of done in that situation; you blocked Mer. I needed the flip to confirm it. Neither of us played horribly, I had locked King and was about to lock you right before they lynched me.

Vel: you were right about a guilty right before lylo. Two innocents would of worked better. D1's Quick hammer I don't think would of changed the outcome of D1. It was my first time playing Cop.

(If you're curious folks, power roles I have had: Mason, Roleblocker with a possiblity of a Vig (died like N2) Doctor (Died N2, and I saw it coming but not before I had saved a townie and prevented the NK N1.)

Mer: Do not do that as a non-scum in a newbie game. The experienced players will convince town lynch you as a matter of policy. You'll do fine once you get your feet.

Mute/King: really well played, although you should of killed me or Charlie N2. Hint: if someone seems too good to be true to set up as scum, they're probably a PR, particularly the cop.

Mute, if you ever want to do the hydra thing, let me know, I'll be your other head.

Charlie: You did good as your first time as IC, I hope to be an IC soon myself.

Everyone Else: This is going to sound weird, but some sound advice. If you have two suspicious individuals at Lylo, and one is looking more town then the other, you vote for the person who looks the most town. Don't ask me why, but yeah, that's how it often boils down to.
"You live for the fight when it's all that you've got."--Bon Jovi, Living on a Prayer
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #534 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:08 am

Post by Mute »

Ghost that'd be awesome. =D

(hydra's though, how do they work?)
Twistedspoon
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #535 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:08 am

Post by Twistedspoon »

lol

gg

I'll do better next time (as ghostlin will see)

but I'm an SE now ^_^

watch this space :P
1 Thessalonians 5:21: Test everything, but hold fast onto what is good

"Murder is no better than cards if cards can do the trick"
~Screwtape
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #536 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:11 am

Post by Ghostlin »

Mute wrote:Ghost that'd be awesome. =D

(hydra's though, how do they work?)
You and I would work as the same player using a QT to coordinate our thoughts. Not every game takes them, but it's the only way I think I could play a large. We'd post through the account we'd share.
"You live for the fight when it's all that you've got."--Bon Jovi, Living on a Prayer
Twistedspoon
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #537 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:13 am

Post by Twistedspoon »

hydras are cool

I'm in a game with one

they're simple enough, but annoying when you have to keep logging in twice :roll:

~Screwtape
Charlie
Charlie
Mafia Scum
Charlie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #538 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:14 am

Post by Charlie »

Read the scum QT. One of the most co-ordinated ones I've ever seen, and certainly contributed to the Mafia perfect win.
Surprisingly, Mute's comment about getting ideas in the shower sticks to my mind. How random.

-----------

Individualized comments

Dazzy - I think you've done it right. I thought you were very Town at the start, I thought you were very Town at the end. Even the Mafia team thought you were very Town. Keep posting like that and you'll be winning games for sure. LyLo with a claimed cop with a guilty result is difficult, as Vel said, so don't take it so hard. Heck, I'd probably have voted Ghostlin anyway.

Meransiel - I think you've learned what went wrong here. Your #527 proves it. That is the best outcome in a Newbie game; that is what it is aimed for.

Forseti - Being the NK target on Night 1 stinks, but it had to be someone. I had a null read on you, so I can't really comment on your play much. Perhaps you'll be playing more games here in the future.

Ghostlin - I was wrong. You were Cop, King was Mafia. Your play was good, but as time goes on I find myself reading fewer and fewer Walls of Text. Succinctness is protown, a scummer called Elmo once said. Another scummer, Vi, also said that not all WoTs are required reading. I think it is in his guide (at the wiki). I hold these believes to be true.
Funny thing is I've been in your shoes before, in a slightly different situation in that deja vu link I've posted.

tclawren - I've got a null read on you most of the game, you managed to blend into the background well and not attract much attention to yourself. I feel this is a useful skill to stay alive as a PR, so I'm surprised that you're NK-ed N2. But reading the Mafia QT explains why you were chosen pretty well.

KingTwelveSixteen - You got Wall of Texting skills. It will prove a formidable weapon.
Perhaps, now in retrospect, your twilight (post D1) post of "I'll comment on D2 later" is a newbie scumslip. I'll be adding this one to my book.

Mute - You've played a good game, and deserving of the win.
You're the first scummy person I've detected via VCA. Hey, looks like it does work! Yay.

Twistedspoon - You're very gung ho. I don't know if that a trait or just a sign of being a newbie, but this isn't too much of a problem as you play more games. Perhaps at times you're better of being patient and comment from the sidelines rather than taking an argument head to head.

Moderator, Vel-Rahn Koon - You are the herdsman. I am a big sheep. There are 2 medium sized sheep. And 6 other smaller sheep.
You are a good herdsman.

-----------

Thank you all, gg and hope to see you peeps in future games.
Kindness
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #539 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:29 am

Post by Mute »

Sounds good to me Ghost. I agree with you in that I could never play a large game by myself, just too much to keep track of.

Charlie, I am not even kidding. The bathroom is my one place of mental clarity. I don't know what it is but I get my shit together in there (please pardon that incredibly bad pun ._.). The next best way for me to think is aimlessly driving around wherever.
I'd also like to say I still don't trust VCA's as much as I don't trust ISO's. With both, you lose the context leading up to them. Say a person flip-flops their vote around a lot before the mod vote-count? just looking at VCA's won't account for that. Same with ISO's in that a lot can be missed by others by reading a single person's posts. I find them to be buffers to a case, nothing more, and not enough to build a case out of alone, and as my last piece of advice to everyone as SE:
Build cases on evidence, then use VCA's and ISO's to add on to your cases. If you base your case on these, your arguments will be easily town apart, I feel.
Charlie
Charlie
Mafia Scum
Charlie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #540 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:42 am

Post by Charlie »

Oh. If I drive around aimlessly, other drives blare their horns at me and I can't hear myself think. :lol:
Right you are on the evidence based cases, with VCA + ISO to support it.
I believe you meant to say "torn apart" in that last sentence.
Kindness
Twistedspoon
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #541 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:43 am

Post by Twistedspoon »

town apart is much more fitting :P

~Screwtape
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #542 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:53 am

Post by Mute »

I.. I actually didn't even notice that typo..
but yes, your arguments will be *torn apart. =x
Dazzy
Dazzy
Goon
Dazzy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #543 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Post by Dazzy »

Good game to all.

Grats on the win King and Mute, you played very well, and King you did a great job of misdirecting at LyLo.

I wanted to thank you all for this learning experience, especially those who gave me direct advice when I asked questions. I will put it all to good use in future games. I look forward to playing with you all again some time.

A big thank you to the Mod, Vel. Thanks for running this game.

Cheers!

P.S. Sorry again Ghost :P
"They are concerned with matters hidden - under the earthline their altars are;"

ERTW
Dazzy
Dazzy
Goon
Dazzy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #544 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Post by Dazzy »

Also, reading through the Mafia QT, I lol'd when I saw Mute say he wanted to take Ghost to endgame...

Good read TClaw =)
"They are concerned with matters hidden - under the earthline their altars are;"

ERTW
FarmeriXi
FarmeriXi
Townie
FarmeriXi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #545 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Post by FarmeriXi »

Great game everyone. Sorry I had to bail, but I've kept up with the game( when I finally got RL off my back). I didn't even join a new game until I saw the outcome of this one.

I knew King was scummy the whole time, and I believe a mistake was made early on, but King did a great job cleaning it up.

Mute, I neve had a read on you.
A sense of humor is a major defense against minor troubles -- Mignon McLaughlin
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #546 (ISO) » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:09 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Last post.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”