Newbie 1086 (GAME OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:35 am

Post by Zachrulez »

7th vote count of day 1:

Mogri - 3 (MagnaofIllusion, JasonT1981, Darkcoffeejazz)
JasonT1981 - 2 (ZengarZombolt, Mogri)
TOGTFO - 1 (projectmatt)
projectmatt - 1 (TOGTFO)

Not voting: (runner, Space Pope)

With 9 alive it's 5 to lynch

Day 1 will end no later than 2:30PM CST on Saturday April 23rd.
TOGTFO
TOGTFO
Goon
TOGTFO
Goon
Goon

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:32 am

Post by TOGTFO »

I feel like Mogri is doing well under pressure. Being as active as he is means that you mess up, give false slips. He demeanor has been town and he has been scum hunting, he just tends to be awkward sometimes. Although, I agree with DarkCoffee in the since that most of Mogri's arguments have been discrediting his opponent.
Mogri
Mogri
Goon
Mogri
Goon
Goon

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Post by Mogri »

TOGTFO wrote:I feel like Mogri is doing well under pressure.
Being as active as he is means that you mess up, give false slips.
He demeanor has been town and he has been scum hunting, he just tends to be awkward sometimes. Although, I agree with DarkCoffee in the since that most of Mogri's arguments have been discrediting his opponent.
Thanks! :D

Regarding discrediting my opponents - I try to discredit arguments, not people. I can see where I might have gone overboard here, but in some situations, I think it's warranted (like the people who are jumping on matt for his not-a-contradiction).

The sentence I've bolded: I've considered going slightly more lurky for exactly this reason, but that would just give Jason and MoI one more reason to jump on me. Sometimes, you can't win.
jasonT1981
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Post by jasonT1981 »

very short V/LA back on Friday afternoon, sorry going to be out of town for a bit
TOGTFO
TOGTFO
Goon
TOGTFO
Goon
Goon

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Post by TOGTFO »

It is not about winning. You are worrying to much about defending yourself and your vote seems mostly OMGUS with lots of fluff as reasoning. What you should be more concentrated on is scum hunting. YOU need to give reasons why someone else is mafia and then suspicion will change over to that person. Worry about finding scum and try less to act overly town. If you are town, then you are town and it will show in your actions.

I dont know if what I am saying makes since. Really tired and having trouble putting my thoughts in words.... :/
Mogri
Mogri
Goon
Mogri
Goon
Goon

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Post by Mogri »

Missed this on the last page:
Darkcoffeejazz wrote:EBWOP: Meant to add this in, sorry. As an addition to teh above post, I meant to say one thing:

Mogri, while we're on the subject of logical fallacies and using them against people, why don't you review your own Appeals to Ridicule?
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacie ... icule.html

Aka "So you ARE bad at logic", which is, technically, a way of trying to discredit the person you are arguing against.
A popular misconception is that if someone says, "You're stupid and your argument is wrong because X, Y, and Z," then that person has committed an ad hominem. That's incorrect; an ad hominem says, "You're wrong because you're stupid."

Along the same lines, much or all of what MoI is labeling as strawman arguments are actually cherry picking, which is related but not the same thing, and, more importantly, not a fallacy in and of itself. It'd be nitpicking at this point to go down the list, though; however...
MoI wrote:You are simply cherry picking fallacies in an attempt to undermine my acccusations against you.
Yes, that is exactly what I did. I don't see why you take issue with me pointing out the holes in your arguments.
MoI wrote:Matt may be scum not for playing cautiously but for stating that scum always play that way when he should, if Town, know that it isn’t a valid argument.
You are now saying that [[Matt should know that "scum play cautiously" is an overgeneralization.]] This is a new argument altogether and is inconsistent with what you've said before.
MoI wrote:Speaking of deflections … you don’t address the inconsistency in your behavior but attack me again. You can’t justify your behavior so you try to turn it on me. Don’t expect it to work.
Nice try, but that does address the inconsistency. After you jumped on me for my first vote, I tried voting more conservatively -- but you jumped on me for that, too.
MoI wrote:Are you choosing not to read? You once again cherry picked the part of the quote that you thought might bolster your argument. Bravo. As is said ... before the end of the Day I will have a solid read on Jason.
And that still doesn't answer the question.
MoI wrote:Now you’ve just pulled a 180. In your previous posts you attack me for tunnelling you and Projectmatt. That by definition means I’m ignoring everyone else.

Yet suddenly I’m interacting with everyone but Jason.

Which behavior am I doing again? Feel free to decide so I can address it.
And you say I dodge questions! Let me be explicit: Several players have accused Jason of scummy play. You have not said one word to or about him (except "I'll tell you later," which, hey, thanks for that). You have
interacted
with most of the players besides Jason, and for whatever reason you have
tunnel vision
on me and Matt.

Still with me?

You and Jason are among the most active players currently. You two have not exchanged words once in eight pages of posts. I would like an explanation from both of you. Jason said this was a lie but did not provide any examples, whereas you have spent two posts talking about everything but this.

The most obvious explanation to me is that you two already know each other's alignment.
Darkcoffeejazz
Darkcoffeejazz
Goon
Darkcoffeejazz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:07 pm

Post by Darkcoffeejazz »

Well I'm getting a bit tired of the cherry picking, or whatever you're going to define your actions as next post. Logic isn't the be all end all, you know.
Show
100 Vamps or Bust!

"Prepare for the bitter truth."

Town
0/2
Mafia
0/0
Third Party
: 0/0
projectmatt
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:57 am

Post by projectmatt »

Mogri's theory is interesting, to say the least, so I decided to investigate a little further, and look at the relationship between the two, and here is what I found.

Out of the hundreds of posts so far, there is ONE post where MOI and Jason talk with each other. You can find it viewtopic.php?p=2947548#p2947548 right there.

And in post 129, Jason respond to him and, this is my direct quote of his post,

"ok, this caught my eye with a big red scummy as hell flag"

And yet, Jason never elaborates further on
why
the post is scummy and after that, all communication is withdrawn. A little bit after that statement, he decides to vote Mogri, by saying he did something scummy, and yet he completely ignores the "hell of a scummy thing" that MOI apparently did.

I think that we might be on to something, or I'm just looking to deeply into it.
projectmatt
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:58 am

Post by projectmatt »

Oh, and I'll bold it this time. I
UNVOTE
TOGTFO
Mogri
Mogri
Goon
Mogri
Goon
Goon

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:13 am

Post by Mogri »

projectmatt wrote:And in post 129, Jason respond to him and, this is my direct quote of his post,

"ok, this caught my eye with a big red scummy as hell flag"
Not to derail your train here, but I'm pretty sure Jason was talking about me when he said that.
projectmatt
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:31 am

Post by projectmatt »

Oh, since it was said directly after he quoted a MIO post, I thought it was directed at him. My bad~
jasonT1981
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:30 pm

Post by jasonT1981 »

Im sorta back, but going to catch up in morning.. i am completely exhausted
Runner
Runner
Goon
Runner
Goon
Goon

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:56 am

Post by Runner »

Can I just say on the topic of discussing fallacies and Cognitive Dissonance and stuff... it can get pretty close to discussing game theory which is dangerous for the game to continue and will cause us to stagnate.
Darkcoffeejazz
Darkcoffeejazz
Goon
Darkcoffeejazz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:54 am

Post by Darkcoffeejazz »

I agree. While fallacies HAVE lead to scum in previous games I've been in, they're not the be all end all either. They should be used sparingly, at least as far as discussion goes, and just like any other tool, used as a supplement. This is just how I feel about it anyway, YMMV.
I mean, when it gets right down to it, I could associate a logical fallacy with every single person here, myself included. So yeah. Let's not try to get too distracted from scumhunting, yes?

And I'm still keeping my vote on Mogri for now. While he makes some good points, I remain unconvinced as to his own innocence.
Show
100 Vamps or Bust!

Town
0/2
Mafia
0/0
Third Party
Space Pope
Space Pope
Townie
Space Pope
Townie
Townie

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:13 am

Post by Space Pope »

This is frustrating....

Mod: Can you prod Zengar

I know I'm being a little inactive, but I'm trying to form a case with Zengar.

Runner- If you think we shouldn't be talking about fallacies as it would stagnate the game, why not come up with something else to talk about to keep it from stagnating?
jasonT1981
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:14 am

Post by jasonT1981 »

weee bit tiny big bit drunk at the minute, but to whoever it was said I have not been intereacting with MOI I want to direct your attention to this.

projectmatt wrote:Oh, since it was said directly after he quoted a MIO post, I thought it was directed at him. My bad~
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:56 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Space Pope wrote:
Mod: Can you prod Zengar
Done.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:52 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

I'm going to take a step back from trading back and forth with Mogri at this point. I think I've made my point clearly about his focus on semantics as opposed to actual scum motivation. Runner and Dark's points make it worthwhile taking a direct break as all three can't possibly be scum.

At this stage I want to see SpacePope's developed suspicions.

@Runner
- you still do not have a vote or any significant suspicions on record? Who is scum?
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Darkcoffeejazz
Darkcoffeejazz
Goon
Darkcoffeejazz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:03 am

Post by Darkcoffeejazz »

I think you're going to have to wait until Zengar answers him, if he isn't replaced out for inactivity. Space has mentioned several times that he'd like Zengar to respond, you see.
Show
100 Vamps or Bust!

Town
0/2
Mafia
0/0
Third Party
projectmatt
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:03 am

Post by projectmatt »

jasonT1981 wrote:weee bit tiny big bit drunk at the minute, but to whoever it was said I have not been intereacting with MOI I want to direct your attention to this.

projectmatt wrote:Oh, since it was said directly after he quoted a MIO post, I thought it was directed at him. My bad~
You are twisting my words indeed. That post that you see? That was the
one post
in the hundreds where you two have spoken to each other. I was pointing it out, as I felt it had some interesting information.

@MOI: What are your thoughts on Jason?
Darkcoffeejazz
Darkcoffeejazz
Goon
Darkcoffeejazz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Post by Darkcoffeejazz »

I should probably point out, from the sidelines at that, that a conversation involves dialogue. Not quoting one person in one post. Just my two cents is all.
Show
100 Vamps or Bust!

Town
0/2
Mafia
0/0
Third Party
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:58 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Welcome Jerako who replaces for ZengerZombalt!
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:59 am

Post by Zachrulez »

8th vote count of day 1:

Mogri - 3 (MagnaofIllusion, JasonT1981, Darkcoffeejazz)
JasonT1981 - 2 (Jerako, Mogri)
projectmatt - 1 (TOGTFO)

Not voting: (runner, Space Pope, projectmatt)

With 9 alive it's 5 to lynch

Day 1 will end no later than 2:30PM CST on Saturday April 23rd.
Last edited by Zachrulez on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:03 am

Post by Zachrulez »

5 more days to deadline. Activity is a little slow, let's pick it up guys.
Space Pope
Space Pope
Townie
Space Pope
Townie
Townie

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:06 am

Post by Space Pope »

Fuck...

Vote: Mogri

My two biggest suspiciouns are/were Mogri and Zengarbolt. Don't have access to my notes right now, but from memory it revolves around Mogri's loaded question/refusal to answer, going off on fallacies. Zengar is less so now. I felt he was actively lurking (but that is now striken), and I when I asked Zengar to elaborate on something and he didn't AND Mogri tried to answer for him, I felt a bit of a connection. I was waiting for Zengar to participate and then try and see if Mogri would continue answering his questions or that he would somehow post something that would either link them moreso or would be flat out scummy.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”