Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #55 (isolation #0) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:07 am

Post by Empking »

Ythan wrote:Gandalf is right. It doesn't reward failure at all.
But how do you get in a losing situation? That's right, poor play.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #57 (isolation #1) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:27 am

Post by Empking »

Xalxe wrote:
Empking wrote:
Not if it's a result of other poor players.
Good players can minimise the impact of bad players. (so that it's not a "losing cause".)
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #59 (isolation #2) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 am

Post by Empking »

Xalxe wrote:
Empking wrote:
Xalxe wrote:
Empking wrote:
Not if it's a result of other poor players.
Good players can minimise the impact of bad players. (so that it's not a "losing cause".)
Not if the other players are better.
If the reward is for not giving up when faced with opponents that are better that you then that's pretty clearly a reward for poor play.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #63 (isolation #3) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:50 am

Post by Empking »

How is it a technicality?

Poor play is how you get into a losing cause (excluding with replacements but that's rewarded elsewhere.) Xalxe tried to work out a nitpick to dispute that. I said why I disagreed. Xalxe nitpicked again. I said why that was irrelevant.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #65 (isolation #4) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:12 am

Post by Empking »

SaintKerrigan wrote:Because you are assuming that the "poor play" of the person nominated is the reason why that person's team lost.
No I'm not. Actually, yes I am. Magua's play was by very definition was not good enough otherwise he would have won but that's utterly irrelevant.
Yes,
technically
Magna didn't win the game,
but
he did take the game to a D7 lylo, despite some doozies from other members of the scumteam. The fact that it was a hard decision for the player with the deciding vote gives further credit to Magna's play.
Look either his play was good enough for the scum scummy in which case you could nominate him for that
or
his early play was poor and he let his buddies drag him down(before improving once they're dead) in which case giving him a reward is giving it to him based on poor play.
The award is for players who put forth an amazing effort
despite
not winning the game, and Magna's play certainly qualifies.
There's no "is" about it.
(Also, do yourself a favor and read the mentioned game before arguing theory.)

EDIT: The Return to Liten, now that copy-paste is working again.
Read the end game and post-game. Nothing has changed my mind. I would also like to mention that before this post this whole conversation has been Magna and Liten free.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #67 (isolation #5) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:30 am

Post by Empking »

SaintKerrigan wrote:So, essentially, you expect Magna to play perfectly, and if he had done so, he wouldn't have lost the game. That's not what this award is about. It's about putting forth a good effort, even though you didn't quite pull it off.

The vibe I'm getting from you is that you think because Magna lost the game, his overall play was poor. In my opinion, that's crappy generalization. Yes, he didn't play a perfect game. Yes, he made some mistakes. But
overall
, he did a damned good job to make it as far as he did, and
that
is why I want to recognize his performance.

You can't judge his performance by endgame alone. If you want to form an honest opinion, you ought to read his entire play. I mean, he was on many people's townlists for the greater majority of the game...

(I'm getting the feeling this line of convo is about to get the bejesus split out of it...)
Magna's play wasn't
good enough
because he lost. His play was
poor
because you want him to give him Best Performance in a Losing Cause (and re-introduce the award for him) rather than giving him a good scum award.

If his early play was better than you wouldn't be nominating him for Losing Cause. Therefore he's getting nominated for the award based on his early play being poor. Theregore its an award for poor play.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #69 (isolation #6) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 am

Post by Empking »

Xalxe; Why is "almost pulling the win off" more deserving than "pulling the win off"?
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #71 (isolation #7) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:43 am

Post by Empking »

Xalxe wrote:It's not more deserving of the same award as actually pulling it off.

That's why it's two different awards.
1. What award does the guy who pulled it off get?
2. Why can't Mr. Almost Won get that award?
3. Why should it be two different awards?
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #74 (isolation #8) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:10 am

Post by Empking »

SaintKerrigan wrote:
Empking wrote:
SaintKerrigan wrote:So, essentially, you expect Magna to play perfectly, and if he had done so, he wouldn't have lost the game. That's not what this award is about. It's about putting forth a good effort, even though you didn't quite pull it off.

The vibe I'm getting from you is that you think because Magna lost the game, his overall play was poor. In my opinion, that's crappy generalization. Yes, he didn't play a perfect game. Yes, he made some mistakes. But
overall
, he did a damned good job to make it as far as he did, and
that
is why I want to recognize his performance.

You can't judge his performance by endgame alone. If you want to form an honest opinion, you ought to read his entire play. I mean, he was on many people's townlists for the greater majority of the game...

(I'm getting the feeling this line of convo is about to get the bejesus split out of it...)
Magna's play wasn't
good enough
because he lost. His play was
poor
because you want him to give him Best Performance in a Losing Cause (and re-introduce the award for him) rather than giving him a good scum award.

If his early play was better than you wouldn't be nominating him for Losing Cause. Therefore he's getting nominated for the award based on his early play being poor. Theregore its an award for poor play.
I have no idea how you are deriving these conclusions, and personally I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. :P

Magna's play wasn't perfect. That does not mean it was poor. You can play a good game and still lose, and this is what happened to Magna.
His play is not Don Corleone standard. (I'm judging this from your posting.)
If he played a smidgen better then he wouldn't be eligible for Losing Cause.

Losing cause as an award is one that rewards people that play just a little too poorly.

Preview; Just to clarify, I am not saying Magna played
poorly
because he lost.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #77 (isolation #9) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:25 am

Post by Empking »

SaintKerrigan wrote:Would
you
nom a scum player who played well, but lost, for the Don Corleone?
Don Corleone is a body of work award.

I don't think winning is a prequisite for being nominated for any awards.
I don't even recall seeing anyone nominated for that award who was part of a losing team, much less win it. Honestly, when it comes down to picking a good scum who won versus a good scum who lost, you're going to go for the one who won every time, and rightfully so.
I would have hoped that the best scum player would win. I can't agree with you at all on "rightfully so".
The Losing Cause award is in another class entirely. No, Magna shouldn't be nommed for the DC because he lost,
but
his play does deserve recognition because his play
almost
earned him a win. It's not sacrilegious to have both awards, one for recognizing a good scum who won, and another to recognize a good scum who lost.
Its not "sacrilegious" but it most certainly is "stupid" and considering there isn't an award for "best performance for a single game by a single Mafiaso" then I'd also add a "a sympton of completely misguided priorities".
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #81 (isolation #10) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Post by Empking »

Mr. Flay wrote:Empking, you're conflating "good play" with "good enough play to win". Not the same thing.

Kerrigan, you're arguing with Empking. That was your first mistake.
No I'm not.

If its not deserving of an award if he plays (a bit) better but it is if he plays at that level then its a reward for poor play. (especially if we break it up into tiny chunks and call his mistakes "poor play")
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #84 (isolation #11) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:38 am

Post by Empking »

gandalf5166 wrote:If he had won in those same circumstances, I would definitely give him the award.
Then your vision of this award is completely different from SK's.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #87 (isolation #12) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:22 am

Post by Empking »

Faraday wrote:^ I don't really know about that, I can't say I've ever seen that many players 'give up'

I like Magna's performance and all, but don't really like the losing cause award.
Good posting.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #182 (isolation #13) » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:22 am

Post by Empking »

Nominate Crilly for Funniest Role Claim: http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p2806663

Its funny in context so read the page before it and the page with the claim.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #309 (isolation #14) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:55 pm

Post by Empking »

DemonHybrid wrote:
Nominate Drench's UXYS 1 1/2 for Best Mishmash game
as well.
second
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #381 (isolation #15) » Mon May 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Post by Empking »

Papa Zito wrote:
Nominate Kison for Behind the Scenes

I dunno if all the upgrades he's making have been announced/found yet, but goddamn are there a lot of them.

Second
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #439 (isolation #16) » Mon May 30, 2011 8:18 am

Post by Empking »

Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #516 (isolation #17) » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:40 am

Post by Empking »

SleepyKrew wrote:Poorly worded, my bad.
Does the award go to the main account(s) or the account that was played with?

Bilbo Baggin's scummie was given to Plum and Andrius?
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #780 (isolation #18) » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:59 am

Post by Empking »

I'm pretty sure its better to have an extra kill than an extra night (most of the time.)
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #791 (isolation #19) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Post by Empking »

Personally, I'm not a fan of Best New Mod and that sort of thing. Surely we want the best of the best to be honoured rather than the best of [insert minority group here]?

As somebody who is really interested in new roles, I'd welcome the split in that category because I agree with Tar on its social enginerring potential.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #906 (isolation #20) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:04 pm

Post by Empking »

Nominate Surye for
best SK
for this. For winning as a Serial Killer and not being reliant on the non-killing abilities.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #959 (isolation #21) » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Post by Empking »

Faraday wrote:Funny. I actually think mith might award one of the awards himself and it
could
be that one. Not 100% sure though.

+1
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #1046 (isolation #22) » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:13 am

Post by Empking »

animorpherv1 wrote:IMO, Newbie Scummie shouldn't be based on join date, but end date of first game played. Because until then you can't really nominate them for a best Newbie Scummie anyways.

That's more work for roughly zero benefit.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #1086 (isolation #23) » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:45 am

Post by Empking »

2nd the Flay's flavour nom.
- I wasn't in the game but came in when I saw the phase change just to read the flavour.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #1098 (isolation #24) » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Post by Empking »

nominate XRecknoner
for something for Maships and Mafia for performing an important historical function on the site (possibly wrong phrasing).
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #1100 (isolation #25) » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Post by Empking »

In post 1099, SleepyKrew wrote:Best Radio Show award?

No either Proffessor or behind the scenes or something like that.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #1104 (isolation #26) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:54 am

Post by Empking »

Nominate Diseased Town for Best New Role
from Flameaxe's Large Werewolf
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #1147 (isolation #27) » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:34 am

Post by Empking »

I'm sorry but am I correct in thinking that the "losing cause" for the scumteam in that game was playing against a town that was better than them?

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”