Newbie 1103: Just Another Chaotic Town (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 10:23 am

Post by Equinox »

Vote Count 1.03Elsa von Spielburg (2) - Miss JJ, Staeg
FireStorm (1) - TripMyWire
Meransiel (1) - Quilford
Scumhunter (1) - Elsa von Spielburg
Staeg (1) - Meransiel
Thor665 (1) - Scumhunter

Not Voting (2) - Thor665, FireStorm

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

The deadline is Wednesday, June 1, 2011, at 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4).

Mod Notes

Thor665 is V/LA May 12-15
Miss JJ
Miss JJ
Goon
Miss JJ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 11:04 am

Post by Miss JJ »

Hi Elsa, nice to see you again. I'm not seeing anything too alarming right now but as to your slight read on Scumhunter: I wouldn't have thought about that but it could be something. For now, I don't see a reason to keep my vote on you, let alone a reason you should have two. I do want to nudge Quil, though.

UNVOTE: VOTE: Quil
TripMyWire
TripMyWire
Goon
TripMyWire
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 12:03 pm

Post by TripMyWire »

Elsa von Spielburg wrote:I'm cool with my vote on Scumhunter not being random on the basis of his "hopefully a town win". Town don't typically need to affirm they're town and seeing that reads slightly of scum trying too hard.

Ohhhh nice observation. I did a little snooping and I see that he's been active in other games but hasn't posted in this one in a while. Perhaps he too forgot he was in this game. Are we that forgettable? :( Hehe...

Anyway. Does everyone have pretty decent availability? As you might be able to tell by my number of posts, I'm usually always at a computer during the week so I'm on here fairly often.
You can call me Trip.

Did I say "corpse hatch?" I meant to say "innocence tube!"
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 12:17 pm

Post by Quilford »

I have exams throughout this week and next, so I'm studying hardcore at the moment.

I'll get a post up today, hopefully. Rereading.
TripMyWire
TripMyWire
Goon
TripMyWire
Goon
Goon

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Post by TripMyWire »

Quilford wrote:I have exams throughout this week and next, so I'm studying hardcore at the moment.

I'll get a post up today, hopefully. Rereading.

It's that time of year again. Ah, I remember those days... oh, to be young again. Good luck.
You can call me Trip.

Miss JJ
Miss JJ
Goon
Miss JJ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 12:26 pm

Post by Miss JJ »

Maybe his other games are more exciting. ;) Could be true for Quil, also, lol, as I saw his posts in another game.

Edited during post: Yeah, looks like he's busy.
Miss JJ
Miss JJ
Goon
Miss JJ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 12:28 pm

Post by Miss JJ »

TripMyWire wrote:

Anyway. Does everyone have pretty decent availability? As you might be able to tell by my number of posts, I'm usually always at a computer during the week so I'm on here fairly often.

I'm usually a posting whore but I will admit playing with all you experienced players intimidates the heck out of me.

<<<Little fish in big sea :eek:
TripMyWire
TripMyWire
Goon
TripMyWire
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Post by TripMyWire »

Miss JJ wrote:
TripMyWire wrote:

I'm usually a posting whore but I will admit playing with all you experienced players intimidates the heck out of me.

<<<Little fish in big sea :eek:

Haha. Don't let that stop you. This is a newbie game so spread your fins and post... you gotta start somewhere. Thor is the only IC here and so the rest of us are still learning how to find our place in the big sea.
You can call me Trip.

Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Post by Quilford »

I'm going to vote Scumhunter because I know from various games IRL and on (dare I say it) Epicmafia, that mafia tend to state the obvious (e.g. 'hopefully town will win this one') or make subtle affirmations that they're town (e.g. 'I'm voting XXX because he voted for me, and I'm town' - that wasn't exactly subtle, but you know what I mean). Elsa's pointed this out, too.

Plus it's the best we've got at such an early stage in the game.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Post by Quilford »

I fail.

VOTE: Scumhunter
Miss JJ
Miss JJ
Goon
Miss JJ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Post by Miss JJ »

I'm getting a town read on Quil because of two things:

1. He placed a vote on someone who was already voted.
2. I feel it was for a good reason.

UNVOTE: Quil
Scumhunter
Scumhunter
Mafia Scum
Scumhunter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 3:46 pm

Post by Scumhunter »

Fair enough Quilford. However, a townie might also overstate the obvious to try and emphasize his towniness to the rest of the game. Yes, some might see it as a form of buddying, etc, but ya not really a scumtell particularly from me (not that you would know that though).

What is your name on epicmafia? I have played a ton there up until recently.
Show
Town: 12-5
Scum: 3-1
-----
Troll-head of Soben hydra
Town: 3-2
Scum: 0-0
-----
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 5:43 pm

Post by Staeg »

Miss JJ wrote:1. He placed a vote on someone who was already voted.

Not a town-tell.

Townies should be by far more concerned about scumhunting rather than their own survival.
Vote: Scumhunter

That should be L-2
sa vrede?
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 5:45 pm

Post by Staeg »

Damn unvotes >.>
Unvote: Elsa von spielburg
Vote: scumhunter
sa vrede?
Miss JJ
Miss JJ
Goon
Miss JJ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 6:17 pm

Post by Miss JJ »

Staeg wrote:

Not a town-tell.

Townies should be by far more concerned about scumhunting rather than their own survival.

LOL one thing I notice about this site is there seems to be a "playbook" where there are rules about what is a towntell or what is scummy, etc. I usually just make my own decisions about what I think. Not everyone is cut out of the same cloth and I can't see looking at it that way. In my opinion, he wouldn't have done that if he were mafia but, of course, that's just one action and we're only on page 4 of Day 1. And yes, I agree that townies should be more concerned about scumhunting than their own survival but what does that have to do with my post?
FireStorm
FireStorm
Townie
FireStorm
Townie
Townie

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Post by FireStorm »

ugh, I hate timezones, you guys are all awake while I'm sleeping :( Ok, I saw some questions directed towards me, but I was skimming through, so I didn't actually read them, so I'll go ahead and read the questions now, then I'll answer them
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sat May 14, 2011 12:35 am

Post by Staeg »

Miss JJ wrote:
Staeg wrote:

Not a town-tell.

LOL one thing I notice about this site is there seems to be a "playbook" where there are rules about what is a towntell or what is scummy, etc. I usually just make my own decisions about what I think. Not everyone is cut out of the same cloth and I can't see looking at it that way. In my opinion, he wouldn't have done that if he were mafia but, of course, that's just one action and we're only on page 4 of Day 1. And yes, I agree that townies should be more concerned about scumhunting than their own survival but what does that have to do with my post?

I should've explained it better, but that was also my opinion, not a hard fact ._.
"If he were mafia..." is WIFOM. That stuff is best kept out of games of mafia.
sa vrede?
Meransiel
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat May 14, 2011 3:14 am

Post by Meransiel »

First time I saw Elsa's observation about Scumhunter, top be perfectly honest, It felt like SHE was trying too hard. But this post doesn't feel right, and so I feel justified to:

Unvote

Vote: Scumhunter

That is L-1. If somebody quicklynches he will be considered scum. Don't do stupid things, people.

Miss JJ wrote:LOL one thing I notice about this site is there seems to be a "playbook" where there are rules about what is a towntell or what is scummy, etc. I usually just make my own decisions about what I think. Not everyone is cut out of the same cloth and I can't see looking at it that way.

Those playbooks are for...reaching common ground. Relying only on personal thoughts and tells is good for nightpicking someone as a PR, but not for convincing others to go for the right lynch.
Voltaire fan. (yes, both of them). If you are a fan as well, pm me, and we'll converse for hours about why they're awesome.
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat May 14, 2011 3:45 am

Post by Staeg »

Also: Don't claim yet. I promise you won't be hammered until you do, but you can still wiggle out of the lynch without giving maf priceless info.
Don't get overdefensive -- just look for scumtells/scumslips and point them out.
sa vrede?
FireStorm
FireStorm
Townie
FireStorm
Townie
Townie

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat May 14, 2011 4:55 am

Post by FireStorm »

Hmmm, I've read everything so far, and while I kinda want to vote Scumhunter for being scummy so far, I won't. That's only because I don't want to hammer when people still haven't seen the game.
Meransiel
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat May 14, 2011 5:01 am

Post by Meransiel »

FireStorm wrote:Hmmm, I've read everything so far, and while I kinda want to vote Scumhunter for being scummy so far, I won't. That's only because I don't want to hammer when people still haven't seen the game.

We have plenty of time to go over everybody ho has posted, and for everyone to give content. Any premature hammer goes directly against what's beneficial for town. Plus, I'm not sure yet (and so should feel everybody on the wagon) he's scum, which is perfectly normal for Page 4.
Voltaire fan. (yes, both of them). If you are a fan as well, pm me, and we'll converse for hours about why they're awesome.
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat May 14, 2011 5:27 am

Post by Staeg »

I'm not even remotely convinced he's scum. He's simply the scummiest player so far.
sa vrede?
Scumhunter
Scumhunter
Mafia Scum
Scumhunter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat May 14, 2011 6:40 am

Post by Scumhunter »

I'm not scummy. You guys just play bad. Get it right. L-1 on page 4?
Show
-----
-----
Miss JJ
Miss JJ
Goon
Miss JJ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sat May 14, 2011 6:46 am

Post by Miss JJ »

Staeg wrote:
I should've explained it better, but that was also my opinion, not a hard fact ._.
"If he were mafia..." is WIFOM. That stuff is best kept out of games of mafia.

"If he were mafia" is no different than "town read" or "scum read." How is it WIFOM? Again, sorry but I can't just keep my opinions out of the game because they are "supposed to be" according to the wiki. Maybe you disagree with my analysis but I'm not just going to conform to the cookie-cutter mantra of the mafiascum wiki. I would certainly think that players aren't going to form their posts to comply with how they think their role should act according to the wiki. If that were the case, it would be super easy to identify everyone.
Scumhunter
Scumhunter
Mafia Scum
Scumhunter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat May 14, 2011 6:47 am

Post by Scumhunter »

Staeg, I will admit I use a bit of appeal to emotion regardless of alignment. For some reason, people tend to think its a scumtell because they are so used to rote-analyzing "x= town, y= scum" without really thinking about why the actions they are interpreting are necessarily representations of anything. I think appeal to emotion is a great weapon for town-sided players that is underutilized. People just call it a scumtell because they are too bad to be able to read if its a townie actually trying to appeal to fellow townies or if its scum bullshitting. Other times, I try to joke around and be nice to people in games and it gets called "buddying, scumtell".

Personally, I like to generate my reads from reading interactions between players etc.

Anyways, I will claim if you guys want me to do, but really I shouldn't have to as I shouldn't be being voted in the first place.
Show
-----
-----

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”