Newbie 1104 -- Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
forest_air
forest_air
Townie
forest_air
Townie
Townie

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 12:02 pm

Post by forest_air »

Often, I get skipped when someone decides to give us their opinion on a majority of the town. I find that interesting, although I'm not sure if anyone is aware of it.

Just letting you guys know that scums would use getting skipped to their advantage to avoid being suspected. That being said, I'm unvoting,
again
as I need to read over some things and my suspicions have changed a bit.

And Otolia, please don't give us any more posts saying you will post shortly only to tell us a little while later to tell us you're too busy. The time you took to make those two posts could have been used to make one very short effective defense/analysis/whatever. Or you didn't have to post at all. You're not in danger of being prodded, and frankly, it's annoying me.
"Familiarity breeds contempt."
forest_air
forest_air
Townie
forest_air
Townie
Townie

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 12:02 pm

Post by forest_air »

^
Unvote: noragar
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Post by Otolia »

forest_air wrote:And Otolia, please don't give us any more posts saying you will post shortly only to tell us a little while later to tell us you're too busy. The time you took to make those two posts could have been used to make one very short effective defense/analysis/whatever. Or you didn't have to post at all. You're not in danger of being prodded, and frankly, it's annoying me.

You know what time it is for me little punk ? It's 1AM, I have to get up as early as 5AM tomorrow. I'm still waiting on a green light by NS to post what I had to say. I'm not a flaker. I promised a post and I will deliver it. I am not excusing myself for taking time to speak with my girlfriend and my best friend. My post will come, if you are not capable of waiting then [censored]

THIS. KIND. OF. ATTITUDE. REALLY. PISSES. ME. OFF.
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Post by chkflip »

Green light from NS? For what?

Also: lets just agree, disagree, and move on. No need to further mudsling back and forth from here - that's only going to help scum.

I implore you both to try to be the bigger man, don't say a word about it, you've given your opinions and nobody expects you to change them.

Now, back to business. We're still awaiting this post of yours regardless of your waiting to be "cleared" for whatever reason that may be.
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 12:21 pm

Post by Otolia »

I am mentioning ongoing games. It's borderline so I have to wait for his green light.
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 12:23 pm

Post by chkflip »

Who is in these games?
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

I rarely do this, but I will verify that Otolia was waiting on me to approve parts of his post.

I also want to stress again that there is to be NO discussion of ongoing games. Therefore, chkflip, Otolia will not be answering your question from #280.

Also, Otolia, please do not call people names in my games. It's disrespectful.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Post by Otolia »

First of all, this game has a purpose for me : I want to experience a calmer playstyle. I can be quite abrasive when I play, and I am trying to change that. My objective for this game was to play relatively distant from the pack. I know what my strong point in mafia is, and it's clearly not tells or reads based on what people write. I know it sounds stupid since we are playing a forum game, but I am more of an IRL Werewolf player. Thus I rely much more on 'vibes' and incentives (i.e. Are they any motives for a scum to do what he does/did) Also I'm bad in D1 (I have been wagonned and forced to claim with hissy fit - that's the situation I wanted to avoid) Obviously I didn't do so well.

So now, about my refusal to post my reads : At this point of the game, reads are NULL in the long run. No matter how you see it, calling the scumteam D1 is cocky and shouldn't be done. It's a newbie game so the people who are doing most of the talking right now are SEs and the IC. I find it rather hard to express convincing cases in D1. However I have opinions on people, I'll write them down in this post, but first I want you to pay attention to what I said and put it in perspective with what TS said.

Spoiler: On TS and me. READING REQUIRED
I am reluctant to give my reads for a few reasons, one of them is the behavior of Twistedspoon.

1. His threat towards the town

Twistedspoon wrote:before anyone
even considers
hammering I want a list of reads from CC and Otolia and a juicy catchup post from espe

Twistedspoon wrote:because they shall incur my
wrath
if they do

Considering this game is his first as an IC, I dare say he is either suffering from the massive boost of aura that the IC title can provide or he is a manipulative scum. Being a townie means working as a team and the team is as strong as its weakest member (a wise man once said). In newbie games, the majority of the players are newbies which means they have a low understanding of the game. D1 is always difficult (even for more experienced players like me) so when a leader arises it's easy to sheep him and don't take personal responsibility in the lynch. This leads us to my second point.

2. His focus on SEs

Twistedspoon wrote:
espe
, opinions plz

Twistedspoon asnwering to Otolia wrote:anyways what reads do
you (Otolia)
have on players?

Twistedspoon wrote:so frosty, why return to CC? what are your thoughts on Noragar,
Flippy
Espe
and
Otolia
. Those are reads I'm interested to hear your take on

Twistedspoon wrote:and I'm really interested into the whereabouts of
Espe
Otolia
, What;s your list of reads?

Twistedspoon wrote:This day isn't ending until I have a fair idea of everyone's reads and I hear a proper post from
Espe

All the italic names are SEs. There is a common assumption that scum are the one being rather elusive and not giving opinions and making the town advance. That's a misleading topos (truism). Here is the an example of how scum can lead the town into lynching other townie. Being aggressive is a good way to avoid suspicions especially in newbie game where newbietells are similar to scumtells, thus you have plenty of viable lynchtargets. Who are the most dangerous player for a scum in a newbie game ? The SEs because their experience can make the difference when it comes down to LyLo. Meaning if you want to win as easily as possible you have to eliminate scums as soon as possible.

3. The swiftness of the reaction.

The focus on experienced players is one part of the problem, the second one is the swiftness of his accusations. Between 20:24 and 22:11, he posted nine times, making a strong push for my lynch. Why so sudden ? The argument is that I wasn't ready to give my reads, which is supposed to me anti-town - we will discuss that later. But I see something else here. What did he said earlier today ?

Twistedspoon wrote:before anyone even consiers hammering I want a list of reads from CC and Otolia and a juicy catchup post from espe

So he considers that noragar deserves a lynch. However I suspect him from manipulating the town and express my point of view about that :
Otolia wrote:Manipulating town isn't what people expect from a IC. You want the opinions from other when you don't express yours. It doesn't work that way. Besides the biggest weapon of a townie is his vote not his thoughts, because anyone can fake an opinion, whereas faking a vote is impossible.

After that, he tested the water on a possible bandwagon on me (here) and when he sees that chkflip wants my reads too (for other reasons which he can state if he wants - I assume it is because we played our last game together), he jumped on me.

To me it seems like a cornered beast who is feeling the heat and start to show his teeth and then attack when he feels he can settle the case in a decisive and rather swift action.

Why did I hold my reads until the case on noragar was solved as said in the following quote ?
Otolia wrote:I don't want to express any reads before noragar's case is settled.

When someone has claimed, you have to decide what to do with his claim. Is it a valid claim, could he be scum ? None of those points have been discussed so I didn't want to break down the focus we had by the wagon on noragar. I didn't say I wouldn't ever give reads, which seems to be what I have been accused of.

Scum read
: Obviously the recent behavior of TS cannot be forgotten.
Scumish read
: Espeonage.
Townish read
: Noragar, forest_air
Null read
: chaos, CptCuddles, chkflip and frostbite

PS : See what happens to my resolution to play calmly ? I hate you right now forest_air ! I shouldn't have post this at all. It would have been a good punishment for cornering me to write things, I am not a FLAKER dammit. :mad:

PS 2 : If you want more infos that could validate my sayings, you can check my recent games.
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 12:53 pm

Post by chkflip »

UNVOTE: Otolia
VOTE: Espeonage
forest_air
forest_air
Townie
forest_air
Townie
Townie

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 12:56 pm

Post by forest_air »

Otolia wrote:You know what time it is for me little punk ? It's 1AM, I have to get up as early as 5AM tomorrow. I'm still waiting on a green light by NS to post what I had to say. I'm not a flaker. I promised a post and I will deliver it. I am not excusing myself for taking time to speak with my girlfriend and my best friend. My post will come, if you are not capable of waiting then [censored]

Okay, sorry to offend you. That was like the opposite of my intention. I know this sounds weird, but I don't really consider the feelings of another poster until after I get a reaction. What other people say to me rarely ever affect me emotionally.

And I wasn't accusing you of being a flaker, I was just asking if you would stop making so many posts explaining why you're not posting. I knew that if you weren't posting for so long, you'd have something good to say. And you obviously have more experience in this game than I do, so I put more trust into that being true.

But you seemed to be wasting your time posting on why you couldn't post and I was just giving a suggestion on how to save your time. I was thinking of putting in a 'no offense' comment in my post, but based on the reactions of others around me, people don't take it seriously when I say things like that, so I didn't bother.
forest_air
forest_air
Townie
forest_air
Townie
Townie

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Post by forest_air »

@chkflip : What makes Espeonage more suspicious than Otolia now?
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 1:04 pm

Post by chkflip »

His 282 doesn't seem scum motivated, brings up interesting points on Spoon; meanwhile, Espe is 12 hours lurked, has little to no actual content, and has fluffed a good bit.

I've played with Espe - it doesn't mean I can read him any better or worse than anyone else, but he lurked as scum in that one, too.
forest_air
forest_air
Townie
forest_air
Townie
Townie

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Post by forest_air »

chkflip wrote:
His 282
doesn't seem scum motivated, brings up interesting points on Spoon; meanwhile, Espe is 12 hours lurked, has little to no actual content, and has fluffed a good bit.

I've played with Espe - it doesn't mean I can read him any better or worse than anyone else, but he lurked as scum in that one, too.

Newbie question time: What do you mean by that?
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 1:18 pm

Post by chkflip »

Never feel bad for asking newbie questions (not that you do right now, just saying we've all started there)~

I'm making reference to his last post by number. Some people would just say "his last post" but I feel numbering them leaves less to be confused over.

You'll eventually see ISO too, sometimes with a number, that stands for the post number in that particular person's isolated posts within this particular thread. (e.g. this post will be my ISO 23). You can isolate players in the thread on the bottom. "Display posts by user:" just choose a name, click enter, and you're in ISO-land.

Now that I've covered a completely unrelated question entirely too thoroughly, I'll take my leave.
forest_air
forest_air
Townie
forest_air
Townie
Townie

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Post by forest_air »

^Thanks for explanation. And yes I know about the ISO already :3

But how he plays in another game doesn't supply much evidence for what he has in mind for this game, does it not?
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 1:37 pm

Post by chkflip »

Very correct, but someone's "meta" (their overall way of playing mafia on mafiascum.net) can be particularly helpful one way or the other. It's never a for sure deal, no, and I don't expect this to be, but we need another avenue if Otolia continues to play town-motivated like he just did.
gbevilchaos
gbevilchaos
Goon
gbevilchaos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 1:57 pm

Post by gbevilchaos »

chkflip wrote:His 282 doesn't seem scum motivated, brings up interesting points on Spoon; meanwhile, Espe is 12 hours lurked, has little to no actual content, and has fluffed a good bit.

It's possible that Otolia is self-preservation motivated instead of town motivated. I'm not saying he's the best lynch target at the moment (I don't think anyone really is at the moment), but we should consider the possibility. He's played other games in the past, which means he probably knows how to mislead people.

I still want a good post from Espe...I voted for him a while back and requested it. He's yet to post content since his V/LA, and his lurking is starting to piss me off. I don't necessarily think he's scum, but he needs to contribute. He should spend the time he spends typing up "I'll post later" posts, and devote them to posting content and discussion. Day 1 is definitely the hardest to get a scum lynch on, but with some good discussion, it's possible.

For the moment:
Unvote

I need to reread CC's posts. I've been having trouble getting a good read off him.

Also, what is a null read? Neutral?
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2011 10:10 pm

Post by Otolia »

forest_air wrote:
Otolia wrote:You know what time it is for me little punk ? It's 1AM, I have to get up as early as 5AM tomorrow. I'm still waiting on a green light by NS to post what I had to say. I'm not a flaker. I promised a post and I will deliver it. I am not excusing myself for taking time to speak with my girlfriend and my best friend. My post will come, if you are not capable of waiting then [censored]

Okay, sorry to offend you. That was like the opposite of my intention. I know this sounds weird, but I don't really consider the feelings of another poster until after I get a reaction. What other people say to me rarely ever affect me emotionally.

And I wasn't accusing you of being a flaker, I was just asking if you would stop making so many posts explaining why you're not posting. I knew that if you weren't posting for so long, you'd have something good to say. And you obviously have more experience in this game than I do, so I put more trust into that being true.

But you seemed to be wasting your time posting on why you couldn't post and I was just giving a suggestion on how to save your time. I was thinking of putting in a 'no offense' comment in my post, but based on the reactions of others around me, people don't take it seriously when I say things like that, so I didn't bother.

Fair is fair, I ask for you apologies too. I was exhausted. And I am really trying to be calmer in my games because it's plaguing me ><
Twistedspoon
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Fri May 27, 2011 3:33 am

Post by Twistedspoon »

okay can i just point out that otolia is talking nonsense and I'm even more confident in his scumflip

he says all his reads were null. That's hardly the excuse he was using when i asked him for his reads. He could have but said that but he didn't.
These fact that his reads aren't even null makes that even worse
Otolia wrote:
1. His threat towards the town

Twistedspoon wrote:before anyone
even considers
hammering I want a list of reads from CC and Otolia and a juicy catchup post from espe

Twistedspoon wrote:because they shall incur my
wrath
if they do

I'm telling the other townies not to hammer at this point and you're saying this is a bad thing?
This is awful from you.
Otolia wrote:
2. His focus on SEs

Twistedspoon wrote:
espe
, opinions plz

Twistedspoon asnwering to Otolia wrote:anyways what reads do
you (Otolia)
have on players?

Twistedspoon wrote:so frosty, why return to CC? what are your thoughts on Noragar,
Flippy
Espe
and
Otolia
. Those are reads I'm interested to hear your take on

Twistedspoon wrote:and I'm really interested into the whereabouts of
Espe
Otolia
, What;s your list of reads?

Twistedspoon wrote:This day isn't ending until I have a fair idea of everyone's reads and I hear a proper post from
Espe

All the italic names are SEs.

Excellent strawmanning here

1)
You're not an SE
. If you somehow are but aren't listed as one in the mod's first post then you can hardly use that as evidence against me. The first post say's you're not an SE so all of this evidence is null. Not that i even see anything wrong with asking about SEs. They're in here for a reason.
I like how you cherry-picked your Quotes too. You missed all the ones out where i wen't asking SEs to get a poor representation
Otolia wrote:
To me it seems like a cornered beast who is feeling the heat and start to show his teeth and then attack when he feels he can settle the case in a decisive and rather swift action.

This is just complete nonsense

I fact the whole of his post is

I'm dissapointed here. We should have lynched this scum by now.

Here's the deal. If Otolia doesn't flip scum you can lynch me tommorow.

I'm putting my head on the line here. I have everything to lose if I'm scum.
This is my ultimatium. I honestly can't see why everyone else is so blind to this scuminess
1 Thessalonians 5:21: Test everything, but hold fast onto what is good

"Murder is no better than cards if cards can do the trick"
~Screwtape
Twistedspoon
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Fri May 27, 2011 3:36 am

Post by Twistedspoon »

chkflip wrote:His 282 doesn't seem scum motivated, brings up interesting points on Spoon

made me laugh

interesting points? If you call asking people's opinions on SE's (amongst other players which Otolia kindly forgot to mention) a scumtell then sure :roll:

just to remind you of the way forward and how I have 100% confidence in this lynch

VOTE: Otolia

~Screwtape
Twistedspoon
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Fri May 27, 2011 3:39 am

Post by Twistedspoon »

I like how Otolia doesn't even vote me after calling em so scummy

he already knows I'll flip town if lynched because he's scum

This player is dripping with scuminess

~Screwtape
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Fri May 27, 2011 3:40 am

Post by chkflip »

UNVOTE: Espeonage
VOTE: Otolia

Nice catches, man. It read pretty solid (interesting) to me but you're seemingly making more sense here.

Anyone have any particular objections to lynching Otolia?
Twistedspoon
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Fri May 27, 2011 3:42 am

Post by Twistedspoon »

100% ready for it

~Screwtape
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Fri May 27, 2011 3:44 am

Post by chkflip »

You're hilarious, bro.

You were already voting Otolia. >.<
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Fri May 27, 2011 3:45 am

Post by chkflip »

Espe and Noragar, your reads on everything you can possibly think of ASAP kthxbai

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”