Newbie 04 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:38 pm

Post by just_nigel »

I wonder if there was a reason teh mafia killed Mathcam first.
It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he is a nonplaying character would it?

Well before we begin the unseamly business of flinging unfounded allegations around let us remember dear Mathcam who was taken from us in such tragic circumstances. May he rest in the ever-gracious arms of the God of non-playing characters.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (isolation #1) » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:57 pm

Post by just_nigel »

Thanks for the welcome Phoebus, I think. Funny way to show a welcome :p But you avoid my wrath tonight since I
Vote tehgood
who had the audacity to change his vote in an attempt to gang up against someone! (hhmmmmm, very suspicious.)
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (isolation #2) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:04 pm

Post by just_nigel »

Looking past the wintery horizon, just_nigel cries out as if praying to a moderator who was treating his life like a game, "What more do you expect of me? I have falsely accuesed my nieghbor, as i have been falsely accuesd myself. What more do you want from me?"
As the storm clouds gather just_nigel can't help wondering if the uneasy feeling of an impending deadline will spell the end of 'teh' greater 'good' just_himself or maybe even 'someone' else.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (isolation #3) » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:30 am

Post by just_nigel »

First some newbie questions about the rules:
Do we know for sure that there is a doctor?
Do we get to find out the roles of dead characters? (ie if the real cop dies do we find out)

And now my thoughts on the debate so far:
I notice Yggdrasil has named tehgood, withdrawn tehgood, named someone, withdrawn someone, and then hinted at tehgood again without actually voting for tehgood. Meanwhile, at the beginning tehgood pretended to not know Yggdrasil's name.

Hmmm? Do they protest too much? Are they actually working together? Very suspicious.

But if they are the mafia, why would Yggdrasil come right out and say "I am the cop". Well either we beleive it and Yggdrasil avoids being lynched, or the real cop speaks up and the mafia know who to kill on night one! If there is a doctor Yggdrasil can hope that the doctor is confused and tries to save the wrong 'cop'.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (isolation #4) » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:14 pm

Post by just_nigel »

Yes, roles will be completely revealed upon death
Ahhh, in which case my whole pretend-to-be-the cop theory is either wrong or a high risk strategy. So Yggdrasil probably isn't maffia after all.[/quote]
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (isolation #5) » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:11 am

Post by just_nigel »

There are 5 possible people who would claim townie
I happen to think there is a sixth, the doctor not wanting to expose themselves could claim 'townie', but that doesn't change my mind.
My original vote still stands.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (isolation #6) » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:22 pm

Post by just_nigel »

looks up and down the resort to see if anyone else has emerged form their rooms this weekend. He had been expecting a lynching last night the 3rd and here it is the 4th and still no action. Seeing no one else he scratcehs his head and wonders away.
[/i]
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (isolation #7) » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:31 pm

Post by just_nigel »

If I read this right,
Someone
didn't vote to lynch.

Does that proove Someone isn't the maffia?
No because if Someone is the maffia, they didn't need to vote. The townies had already done a good enough job of knocked off one of their own - ooops :(

hmmm, which is why I am also suspicious of
Spoon

But maybe that is just me feeling the need to blame someone for the death of our innocent Yak-herding townie friend. Let me re-read the posts so far again in the light of my new suspicions.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (isolation #8) » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:28 pm

Post by just_nigel »

OK, so I have proven nothing beyond reasonable doubt... but hey, when did anybody who was lynched receive a fair trial :P

Who do you suspect, Someone?
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (isolation #9) » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:00 pm

Post by just_nigel »

Yggdrasil our trusty cop suspects - Phoebus and either just_nigel (me) or Someone.
Phoebus suspects - just-nigel and Spoon.
just-nigel suspects - Someone and Spoon.

And so far it is those two Someone and Spoon who haven't indicated any suspicion.

Townies definitely don't want to join a voting block with the scum so here is my reasoning:
I want to vote with our trusty cop Yggdrasil.
I'd rather not vote with Phoebus' incase Yggdrasil is right.
Phoebus has fingered me first off anyway, which I already know is wrong so why trust the allegation against Spoon.
I did have some questions about spoon, but if I dismiss them I am still left with my number one suspicion of 'Someone'.
AND that coincides with one of Yggdrasil's suspicions.

So if Yggdrasil will vote for 'Someone' I will follow that lead and vote for 'Someone' too.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (isolation #10) » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:22 pm

Post by just_nigel »

My thoughts on Phoebus?

Just becasue Phoebus named me, I didn't want to automatically vote for Phoebus in retaliation, becasue a wrong vote this round would be disasterous.

Until Yggdrasil pointed it out I did not realise that Phoebus did not have a vote first time round. That leaves the two who did not vote as Phoebus and Someone. (maybe working together ??)

Now with five people and one of them confirmed as the cop, the two maffia will need to cast suspicions on the two townines that are left.
Lo and behold Phoebus and Someone have now posted the same suspicions. (maybe working together ??)

AND those suspcions both point to me who I already know is a townie (OK I admit it I am a vanilla townie :) ) and the very quiet spoon (maybe the other townie and an easy target ??)

OK, earlier I voiced my own minor doubts about Spoon, but I now think the lack of invovlement here is not the 'lie low approach' of a scum eager to avoid attention, but the minor interest of someone who (like me) is only a minor player in this resorts tragic events.

So, if you will confirm we are voting as a block yggdrasil, I will vote for Phoebus or Someone with you. I would prefer to take out Someone first, but I am prepared to take the risk eitherway.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #73 (isolation #11) » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:42 pm

Post by just_nigel »

Is it just my paranoia (I mean my fellow winter holiday makers have been dropping like flies so they probably are after me), or does the lul in conversation come only after I post something???

Werebear, I am not sure what else you expect me to say.

We could always decide to give Spoon a short ride over a long drop becasue he is annoying us and lynch him whether he is mafia or not. :twisted: Maybe the threat of violence will ellicit some response.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (isolation #12) » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:07 am

Post by just_nigel »

Phoebus I am surprised you said:
you've been harping on the fact that I considered you scum.
...and...
It's been twice now that you've been going "ooh..Phoebus fingered me as evil. I'm not! Therefore he must be."[\quote] I wonder what gave you that impression. Do you have any evidence of this?

It is true I have annalised who you voted for, but that was clearly not harping about you, because I annalised who
everyone
voted for. Besdies I specifically remember saying
Just becasue Phoebus named me, I didn't want to automatically vote for Phoebus in retaliation
You wouldn't be trying to mount a case against me by exagerating would you? :?
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (isolation #13) » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:31 pm

Post by just_nigel »

Problem One: O dear! If you were right earlier Yggdrasil, the maffia will now either try and swing the vote for another competitor, or (if i am a TOWNIE!) fall in line behind you and elliminate me.

Problem Two: Since, you voted for the one person I can't join with you in voting down, that leaves me in a position of having to vote for someone else and try and swing the vote behind them. Well straight off that makes me look like the maffia becasue that is what the mafia would try to do (see problem one).

Problem Three: But If I pick wrong and do accidently nominate the other townie (and who is to know with spoon being so silent) I could swing the vote look, completely scummy and the real maffia would have suceeded in elliminating the other townie while still levaing me with suspicion fingered all over me.

How would I play it if I was maffia? Wait to see who 'just_nigel' votes for and then have one mafia vote with each to 'divide and concour'. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury.

But how sould I play this as a townie? Not sure any advice?
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (isolation #14) » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:37 pm

Post by just_nigel »

O and I have a functional question, is it ok to private message other members of this thread, or does all discussion have to be on the board. (eg can a maffia contact a townie? or a townie contact the cop? etc) I am not talking about revealing information once you have died, but I wondered if we can form Survivor-type of secret alliances or debate tactics among the living?
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (isolation #15) » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:22 am

Post by just_nigel »

OK this is still going slower than i like. I am about to go on holidays so, here is my vote for day two:
vote: Phoebus

If I am not back from my real life holiday but still alive in this wintery resort for day three's vote and Yggdrasil is still around next round I will
vote: whoever Yggdrasil votes

If I am alive but Ygg's isn't then for day three I will vote for the person I am messaging to our moderator, as I didn't want to show my had so much as to affect these earlier rounds of votes. I am happy for that vote to be revealed once day threestarts though.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (isolation #16) » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:32 pm

Post by just_nigel »

Dear Phoebus,
Thank you for so graciously answering my question. Rest assured I have not broken any rules nor contacted anyone behind your back, except as I openly said, contacting the modorator to explain my upcoming absence. If my preempted vote is not acceptable within the spirit of the rules I trust Werebear's decision in this matter, he does not need to count it and no damage will have been done to the game.
A very strong FOS for you nigel and it'll turn to a vote very soon if you don't convince me otherwise.
Actually, Phoebus I feel quite comoftable not explaining myself to you any furhter. I have made my vote and will let that speak for itself. Everyone is now free to read the tone of your response (as mine) and make their own decision.

I look forward to seeing the final outcome
...Nigel
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (isolation #17) » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:57 pm

Post by just_nigel »

Phoebus, mafia scum, has been lynched...
...YAY!
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (isolation #18) » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:28 pm

Post by just_nigel »

I really don't like the change in person at this stage. How can we expecet 'Smoke Bandit' to justify why he was so silent all the rest of the game.

O well, at this stage in the game with us knowing who one of the maffia was, I want to re read everything to see who cooperated most with Phoebus.

Was Phoebus' menacing accusations against me just a front to hide that fact that we were secretly working together? ummm i don't think so (especially when i voted to lynch him last round :) )

Was Someone cooperating with Phoebus and only voted that way once the chips were down? Don't think so but not sure. The whole posting on the wrong thread has me a bit miffed but i lean towards townie.

Was silent Smoke working with Phoebus? No. Couldn't possibly. He never said anything anyway. Oh! wait a minute maybe that was working together..."lets play good cop bad cop, you stay silent and I'll stir up trouble. nyuck nyuck nyuck".
I fos:Smoke Bandit.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (isolation #19) » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:10 pm

Post by just_nigel »

Yes I'm ready to do or die:
vote: Smoke_Bandit

hopefully its 'die mafia scum'!
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (isolation #20) » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:51 pm

Post by just_nigel »

... and I hope whn you say that you are a townie and not a scum.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (isolation #21) » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:39 am

Post by just_nigel »

Sorry Smoke_Bandit, I originally thought Someone was playing scummier than Pheobus and had tired to convice the cop to vote that way - but I never liked Spoon's silence either and my desire to punish overtook my mafia intuition.
Well done Someone, your quick vote actually drew out mine.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (isolation #22) » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:41 am

Post by just_nigel »

Good game all ... mostly ... for those who stuck it out. Congrats to Someone and Pheobus.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”