Open 304 - Hard Boiled, Game Over. Was DY's Dystopia saved?

Scott Brosius
Scott Brosius
Mafia Scum
Scott Brosius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #450 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 5:28 am

Post by Scott Brosius »

Alright apologies to Amrun. That's still one hell of a coincidence.

It's WIFOMy but I really don't think the other 2 scum would place the L-1 and hammer votes on their buddy. So I'm ruling out don for the moment.

Newman was all over RC. I still don't see him being scum.

That leaves muffin and smash. I'm leaning towards smash.
Town 15-19

Mafia 4-3
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #451 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 5:50 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

I got about halfway through doing a VCA and got extremely bored of writing.

tl;dr of it is that this was the D1 wagon:

DeityKabuto [7] -
nameloc1986
zMuffinMan,
HellloooNewman
toffee
, RedCoyote, don_johnson,
DemonHybrid
Amrun

And the signficant things to be garnered from D2 are that

1) RC is not scum unless he was getting majorly bussed by both his scum buddies. Willing to rule that out for now.
2) don is not scum unless he's stupid. Neither toffee or newman were on the Amrun wagon, and he could have left his vote there if he was scum with them. He's almost-confirmed town for me.

SB is confirmed town.

I'm happy with a Smash lynch today.

VOTE: Smash
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #452 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 5:52 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

Oh, and the significance of the D1 wagon for me is that I don't think all 3 scum were on that. Although it was a counter-wagon to toffee D1, I'm still more inclined to believe Smash (who was not voting at the end of D1) was scum off the wagon.
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #453 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 10:57 am

Post by don_johnson »

i can go for smash, though its hard for me to believe that RC is town here. i'd like to here from both of them before we lynch.
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
smashbro_of_the_SSS
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
smashbro_of_the_SSS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #454 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Post by smashbro_of_the_SSS »

don't really have time now, but I gotta look over the game again, I still thought Amrun would turn out to be lying scum, so I'm not really confident on any of my reads. I still have a town read on RC, but I don't see Muffin as scum either. and Scott is confirmed town. So yeah, I need to read this over. actual content tomorrow
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #455 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 4:31 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

Eh, well at the moment, I'm just going of PoE.

@don,

If RC is scum, consider that newman and toffee both came straight out trying to bus RC at the beginning of D2. Do you think this is more likely than them going for a mislynch?

I'm not completely ruling out bussing, but I think it's a lot more likely that smash is the remaining scum.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #456 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

Also, Newman's ISO#30 needs to be taken into consideration. This was him reacting to RC 'flip-flopping' and saying it's possible smash isn't town.
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #457 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 5:03 pm

Post by don_johnson »

everyone needs to read an iso of muffin. post your thoughts.
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #458 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Post by DarthYoshi »

Day Three, Votecount the First

Smashbro (1): zMuffinMan
Not Voting (4): Scott Brosius, Smashbro, RedCoyote, don_johnson

With 5 alive, it takes 3 to lynch, and 3 to no-lynch. Deadline is 6:00 am PDT, Monday, June 13.

As ever, any issues, please let me know.
On hiatus from any new mafia commitments.
Jesus loves you. But that doesn't mean you're town.
James 2:13
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #459 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 8:16 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

Eh, honestly, I'm kind of backtracking here. Muffin made some good points against SSSS here. Take a look at some of the vote counts:

Mod 284 wrote:
Votecount:

smashbro_of_the_SSS [0] -
toffee [1] - Scott Brosius
don_johnson [0] -
DemonHybrid [0]
Surye [1] - chesskid3
RedCoyote [1] -
chesskid3 [0] -
Amrun [0] -
Scott Brosius [0] -
nameloc1986 [0] - Surye
DeityKabuto [7) - nameloc1986, toffee, RedCoyote, DemonHybrid, Amrun, don_johnson, Newman
HellloooNewman [1] - DeityKabuto,

not voting: smashbro_of_the_SSS

As already pointed out by Muffin, are we really going to get all three scum on the DK wagon here? That sounds kind of unlikely. It's possible, but, you have to admit it's a strike against SSSS at the very least.

Mod 351 wrote:
Day Two, Votecount the Second

toffee (1): Amrun
Amrun (3): Scott Brosius, RedCoyote, Smashbro_of_the_SSS
RedCoyote (3): zMuffinMan, toffee, HellloooNewman
Not Voting (1): don_johnson

Muffin said this makes me look a little better, but I actually think it makes Muffin look much better. I doubt very sincerely that Muffin, toffee, and HN were all three voting in unison if they were a scumteam. I don't know if I've ever seen that happen with a three person scumteam.

Mod 397 wrote:
Day Two, Votecount the Third

don_johnson (1): Amrun
Amrun (1): Scott Brosius
RedCoyote (4): toffee, HellloooNewman, don_johnson, zMuffinMan
toffee (1): RedCoyote
Not Voting (1): Smashbro_of_the_SSS

The same thing goes with don here. Objectively I look at this and I'm asking myself if I honestly believe don was trying to just tag along that obviously. I don't really think so. Sure, SSSS had the opportunity to hammer me here, but he may not have done it because he knew that Amrun was still around and he may have been picked up for this rather easily.

Mod 444 wrote:
Day Two, Votecount the Fifth

A lynch has been reached.

Amrun (1): Scott Brosius
RedCoyote (1): toffee
toffee (5): RedCoyote, Amrun, zMuffinMan, don_johnson, HellloooNewman

don_johnson (1): Smashbro_of_the_SSS

It's possible that both scum made their way to toffee's wagon here. As I said earlier, it was looking more and more like the scum were ready to ditch toffee. In general though, it's not great practice to do this.

---

Here is what toffee has had to say about SSSS:

toffee wrote:

That's right, nothing. She never mentioned him in the enitre game that I can tell. The only time she even acknowledged he was in the game is when she quoted some question he asked about her take on the night flips. She answered him briefly, but never discussed what she felt about him, how she saw him, or how she didn't see him. She seemed completely focused on me. Isn't that odd?

Here is what HN has had to say about SSSS:

HN 277 wrote:3- I've had little conflict with Amrun, Smashbro, Surye, Toffee, ChessKid...are we all scum? That's a pretty big scum squad.

This is a small blurb in response to DK. Strange that SSSS is the only player on there who hasn't flipped, but, actually, this points me more toward Muffin and don than it does SSSS. That being said, he's not addressing SSSS here or talking about his position on him. This is in response to DK.

HN 399 wrote:RC? Maybe SSSS isn't town? Flip flopping your entire stance is a bit drastic wouldn't you say?

Again, this is just a response (an attack really) lobbed at me. This isn't really addressing SSSS or talking about his read on him at all.

HN 430 wrote:I think we have this thing nailed here. RC, toffee and either SSSS or Don.

This is the
only
time that toffee or HN ever mention SSSS in regards to having a read on him. And, honestly, this isn't even really a read. I mean, the only person he doesn't mention here is Muffin. All he's doing here is eliminating Muffin as a suspect, so, honestly, it says more about Muffin than it does about any of the other players here.

---

There are a couple of points that lean toward don or Muffin, but, taken as a whole, SSSS looks like the most logical choice for our lynch today.

Vote: smashbro_of_the_SSS
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #460 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 3:27 am

Post by don_johnson »

reading muffins iso should be done. it is certainly odd how he picks out scum(toffee), but pushes the RC wagon. but again, i agree here with RC that the points are minor compared to smash's game. when its this obvious, the right thing to do is lynch.

vote: sss

leave the hammer to brosius. if smash flips town, this may get difficult.
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #461 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:01 am

Post by DarthYoshi »

Day Three, Votecount the Second

A lynch has been achieved.

Smashbro (3): zMuffinMan, RedCoyote, don_johnson

Not Voting (2): Scott Brosius, Smashbro

With 5 alive, it takes 3 to lynch, and 3 to no-lynch. Deadline is 6:00 am PDT, Monday, June 13.

As ever, any issues, please let me know.

Stay tuned for deathscene and Smashbro's flip.
DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #462 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:08 am

Post by DarthYoshi »

Amrun had done the town one huge favor in trying to make amends for her shot on Surye. In the span of one day and night, town’s mafia had been reduced to a single member. I was now surprised by the unanimity of the town—whereas they had been so sharply divided just a couple short days ago over
Michael Bolton
DeityKabuto, they quickly came to the consensus that there could only be one person who was that final Mafioso…

“Smashbro! We know who you are! Just give us the name of
one crack dealer
your scumbuddies!”

“But…I’m not scumbuddies with toffee and Newman! They’re so good at crime and I would suck so badly at it!”

But short order, Smashbro was quickly strung up and led to the gallows at the center of the town square. I still didn’t know for sure if the town was on the right track, but then I realized something…there has been no note. That could only mean one thing…

“SCUM!” everyone shouted at Smashbro.

“Wait, wait,” protested Smashbro. “This isn't Riyadh. You’re not gonna
saw my hands off
lynch me here, alright? I really thought the worst you would ever do is you would put me for a couple of months into a white-collar, minimum-security resort! Shit, I should be so lucky! Do you know they have conjugal visits there? I’m a free man and I haven’t had a conjugal visit in six months! Come onnnnnnn!”

It might have been an even worse defense than toffee’s “Jump to Conclusions” masterpiece. But then, elevated on those gallows, Smashbro must have seen the look of recognition on my face, because he immediately reached into his coat and pulled out a revolver, and aiming it at me, shouted,

“DAMN IT FEELS GOOD TO BE A GANGSTER!”

And that’s all I remember.

I am told by St. Peter that Smashbro was immediately lynched afterwards, and when the remaining townspeople approached my body to see if I could confirm for them Smashbro’s scumminess, don_johnson knelt down and opened my right hand, where I had reached for a pen to document this lynch, as I had the others. Don then eyed the town, and proclaimed,

“Looks red to me.”

Smashbro_of_the_SSS,
Mafia Goon,
was lynched Day Three.

A win condition has been achieved. The TOWN of zMuffinMan, RedCoyote, Scott Brosius, and don_johnson have won! Amrun, Surye, DemonHybrid, and DeityKabuto win with their living teammates.

Night actions, QT links, and the mod’s thoughts are forthcoming.
DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #463 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:12 am

Post by DarthYoshi »

The Setup

3 Mafia Goons

Smashbro_of_the_SSS
toffee
HelloNewman

4 Town-aligned Power Roles

1 Tracker/Vigilante: Amrun (choosing Vig)
1 Psychologist: Surye
1 Hider: DemonHybrid
1 Hider Tracker: Scott Brosius

5 Vanilla Townspeople

Don_johnson
Nameloc1986/zMuffinMan
Chesskid3
RedCoyote
DeityKabuto

Night Actions

Night One

DemonHybrid hides behind Amrun (successful, DH dies)
Scott Brosius automatically tracks DemonHybrid to Amrun (successful)
Amrun kills Surye (successful)
SSSS shoots Chesskid3 for the mafia (successful)
Surye submits no action (which turns out to be moot anyways)

Night Two

HellloooNewman shoots Amrun for the mafia (successful)
Amrun shoots HellloooNewman (successful, and ironic)

Dead Thread: http://www.quicktopic.com/46/H/QBzZm6t55V2

If the scum are okay with their QT being made public, I will post it as well.

My dim-witted thoughts (such as they are) on the game coming up.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #464 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:18 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

gg
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #465 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:20 am

Post by Amrun »

gg all

I feel less bad about killing Surye since there was no action submitted anyway.

Still, sorry about that, everyone. x.x
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #466 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:23 am

Post by DarthYoshi »

The mod’s thoughts:

The way this game unfolded makes me even more convinced that Hard Boiled is a rather swingy setup. Some time ago, ABR (the setup’s creator) suggested in the open setup MD thread that one of the goons should be a Mafia rolecop. Given that, to my knowledge, this is the first time town has won with this setup, I don’t think scum need a lot of help. If anything, I’d add an extra VT to give town the extra mislynch, because basically, town was at MyLo on D2. In a 12-person game, that should never, ever happen, regardless of how sub-optimal the town’s play was.

I also think this swinginess can best be encapsulated by the play of Amrun. Full disclosure—I have a ton of confidence in Amrun’s abilities. I’ve had to play scum against her twice, hated it both times, and lost both times. But her play between D1/N1 and D2/N2 was like the proverbial black and white. I said this to Magua in the mod QT, but I’m not sure why players seem to choose vig over tracker in this setup—IMO, tracker is a much more helpful role for the town, and Amrun’s vig choice nearly lost the game for the town. But at the same time, I think Amrun vigging Newman pretty much sealed the town victory, and with a confirmed town (Scott) on D3, it pretty much came down to PoE in finding the final scum.

I think scum were hurt by toffee’s relative inactivity (no offense, toffee)—Smashbro and Newman were playing alright on D1, and their PR reads on N1 were actually pretty good. But when toffee flipped, connecting the dots became pretty easy.

Speaking of which, this is the second time in a row I’ve seen RC pull out a VCA that absolutely nailed the final scum in a game. Well played. I also thought MuffinMan replacing in was a boon for the town, he took over a slightly shaky playslot and played a solid town game. I do think scum were hurt somewhat by having a very experienced town core that survived to endgame (RC, Scott, and Don).

I DID fuck up once—when scum were asking about the deadline in the QT, I said that if a replacement was found, Day Two would begin as scheduled, which, as Magua pointed out to me, inadvertently implied (correctly) that nameloc’s slot was VT. If scum are okay with the QT being posted, you’ll see my error there. Derp. Lesson learned.

I also never actually intended to give this game an Office Space flavor, it just sorta happened. I was trying to think of a funny way to explain my transition into the game, and the first thing that came to mind was the scene from Office Space where Lumberg tells Peter that they lost some folks and need to play catch-up. So I just ran with it.

Other than that, though…yeah, this was my first modded game (@MS, anyways), so thoughts? Feedback? Comments? Rude gestures?

Finally, thanks to Magua, who stepped in as my backup mod for this game. He was both patient and generous with his advice to a first-time mod, and I am very much appreciative of his help.
Last edited by DarthYoshi on Tue May 31, 2011 4:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #467 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:24 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

OK, RC, sorry but it's like there were a whole bunch of coincidences that led me to thinking you were scummy D2 and when you came out with a vote on don who I was almost certain was town, that just made me think you were scum even more. That's why I wanted to know why you would go for don over toffee. And I put my vote back on you then. When you changed to toffee, I reconsidered. Wasn't as sure you were scum as I was toffee so I was happy with a toffee lynch D2. Good vig N2. And D3 was pretty obvious.
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #468 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:28 am

Post by Amrun »

Thank you SO MUCH for stepping in. You did a good job.

I feel bad about my play day 1 / night 1 especially. I knew the mod was flaking and we had Deity distracting everyone with terrible play, an I just ... lost interest. It cost town dearly.

I know tracker was the safer choice, but I wanted to be a rockstar. >.>

Plus, in the last HardBoiled I played, the vig shot the ONLY SCUM KILLED ALL GAME on n1.

Is this really the first hard boiled town has ever won?
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Surye
Surye
Mafia Scum
Surye
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #469 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:28 am

Post by Surye »

Amrun wrote:gg all

Which is strange, since I could have swore I did. The mod mix up was unfortunate.
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #470 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:30 am

Post by Amrun »

Surye wrote:

Which is strange, since I could have swore I did. The mod mix up was unfortunate.

Understandable.

Sorry about that.

CHESSKID I WAS SHEEPING YOU :cry:
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #471 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:34 am

Post by DarthYoshi »

Surye wrote:

I did get a PM from you confirming your role, but there wasn't a target in the PM. :(
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #472 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:35 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

How was don obvscum btw? I swear I had a town read on him after reading D1, and that town read stuck the whole game. Especially after the unvote on Amrun when she was at L-1. Like... That would have been the dumbest move don-scum could have made.
DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #473 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:37 am

Post by DarthYoshi »

Amrun wrote:

I know tracker was the safer choice, but I wanted to be a rockstar. >.>

Plus, in the last HardBoiled I played, the vig shot the ONLY SCUM KILLED ALL GAME on n1.

Is this really the first hard boiled town has ever won?

AFAIK, yes, this is the first Hard Boiled that town has won. At least, all the games listed on the Hard Boiled wiki page ended with scum wins.

And the less that is spoken about that last Hard Boiled game, the better.

I just think vig is an overrated and overused PR. :)
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #474 (ISO) » Tue May 31, 2011 4:38 am

Post by don_johnson »

^^ yeah. its hard to play up your own towniness, but i was surprised that people still thought i was scum after that. gg. sorry RC. i just couldn't fathom your suspicion of me. but the dead qt seemed to think i was scum to. so...

nice shot amrun.
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6

Return to “Completed Open Games”