Newbie 1116 -- Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: I don't know

Post Post #775 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:11 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

Workdawg wrote:@Cobbler In your post 760, you vote for me and then say "I just hope my realization was wrong."... implying that you hope I flip town. Why would you ever hope the person you are voting for flips town?

No, my realization was that you seemed to have been giving power role tells. Thus I hope I'm wrong about you being a power role. But to tell the truth, I think that if you
were
a power role, you would've gotten that hint by now. Seriously. (This is also why I described my read on you as "swingy")

Workdawg wrote:- His vote for The Fonz is suspicious as outlined earlier... he agrees with the Fonz numerous times, then votes for him. Then unvotes when I call him out on it.

You can agree with someone and still be suspicious of them.

Workdawg wrote:- The Fonz comes back with a case against me and Cobbler jumps all over it. Interestingly, the reason Cobbler unvoted Fonz (he was going to explain the scum team speculation) was not satisfied when The Fonz posted up his case, but Cobbler seems to have forgotten about that.

I can vaguely remember to what you are refering. Would you mind posting the quotes or even just the post numbers or something?

Workdawg wrote:If you think he is scum, why would you care what he thinks?

There's bigAl the player, then there's bigAl the IC.
VisceraEyes
VisceraEyes
Mafia Scum
VisceraEyes
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #776 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:23 am

Post by VisceraEyes »

@Cobbler
Fair enough. Your back and forth between Workdawg tells me what I need to know anyway, for the time being. As you were. :D
Show
In your Viscera Eyes
Cataracts close the blinds
Let me let comfort come drown by your side.

As Town: 4-4
As Mafia: 5-0
Total Games Completed: 13

Nerd National
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #777 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:12 pm

Post by Workdawg »

Cobblerfone wrote:
Workdawg wrote:@Cobbler In your post 760, you vote for me and then say "I just hope my realization was wrong."... implying that you hope I flip town. Why would you ever hope the person you are voting for flips town?

No, my realization was that you seemed to have been giving power role tells. Thus I hope I'm wrong about you being a power role. But to tell the truth, I think that if you
were
a power role, you would've gotten that hint by now. Seriously. (This is also why I described my read on you as "swingy")

So, if I am a power role, you're going to be sad, but if I'm just a vanilla townie, that's ok?

Cobblerfone wrote:
Workdawg wrote:- The Fonz comes back with a case against me and Cobbler jumps all over it. Interestingly, the reason Cobbler unvoted Fonz (he was going to explain the scum team speculation) was not satisfied when The Fonz posted up his case, but Cobbler seems to have forgotten about that.

I can vaguely remember to what you are refering. Would you mind posting the quotes or even just the post numbers or something?

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 3#p3154463
bigAl
bigAl
Goon
bigAl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #778 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:41 pm

Post by bigAl »

The Fonz wrote:You're exaggerating the difficulty of reading on a phone. I've done it before, and it's certainly harder than on a normal computer, but it's not 'impossible to see who posted what.'
This is BS in my opinion - everyone has different phones. I know that on my (old, cheap) phone, while it does technically get internet, it's basically unreadable for any site not specifically designed for phones. Tables get screwed.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "fluff" argument either. Workdawg's posts after #99, like #132 for example: some reasonable thoughts on people, and then the RQS question of how much experience people have. I don't think that that's a filler question - knowing that someone has never played mafia before is an important fact to help judge between newbie/scummy things.

Then we move on to #189, where he votes VE. Don't like the "too town" argument. I don't like the vote flopping argument - but he says that it's mostly because of the unvote. He elaborates more in #198:
Workdawg wrote:As Grimm pointed out, "I'm just going to vote town and hope for the best" is a glorious copout and is EASILY the scummiest thing I've seen so far in this game. It let's you actively lurk (scummy) by saying "I'm done scum hunting" and then if we lynch town, you can try and avoid accountability by saying you were just following the rest of us.
Although I thought that VE's "giving up" post sounded very townie to me, ^this^
does
sound like a reasonable argument. We later clarify the distinction between "not good for the town" and "scummy" - something WD was not considering at this point.

That brings us up to #216 - gotta go for dinner, more later.

----

cy wrote:Vote: BigAl- You havent really done much for a while and I have nothing that makes me say town and I get some scum vibes.
Any specific vibes or just general vibes? ;)

Cy is big on the OMGUS votes - a hard habit to get over.
Come play Metroplexity! Come play Unangband!
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #779 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Post by Cobblerfone »

Workdawg wrote:So, if I am a power role, you're going to be sad, but if I'm just a vanilla townie, that's ok?

To me it was either you're scum or you're a power role.

Okay now I think I understand that second sentence. I'm going to have to look at The Fonz's post to see if that's true.

*Post-ISO search* You're half-right. He posted this:
The Fonz wrote:Before i forget, taking positions without giving reasons is not a scumtell at all, either. The converse, however, is.

And then we got into the meta debate which sidetracked me completely. I am actually thankful you've pointed this out, Workdawg.

@The Fonz: Why didn't you explain why you thought Tomie, bigAl, and I were suspicious? You said you would.

UNVOTE:

VOTE: The Fonz
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #780 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:44 pm

Post by Cobblerfone »

me wrote:*Post-ISO search* You're half-right. He posted this:

Actually, make that "right".
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #781 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Had a much busier day at work than I was expecting. I only managed to get to page 4.

Anyway, who's scum?
VisceraEyes
VisceraEyes
Mafia Scum
VisceraEyes
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #782 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:11 pm

Post by VisceraEyes »

@Zachrulez
Not me! We were hoping you would tell us! :P
Show
In your Viscera Eyes
Cataracts close the blinds
Let me let comfort come drown by your side.

As Town: 4-4
As Mafia: 5-0
Total Games Completed: 13

Nerd National
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #783 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Post by The Fonz »

Workdawg wrote:
The difficulty is compounded by the fact that it was the beginning of the game and being unfamiliar with peoples styles and avatars. My "helpful tips" was helpful advice, but there's a difference between giving a few tips and making numerous statements IN ALL CAPS ZOMG. Not to mention the fact that my tips were general gameplay advice not specific to our game. I think that's an important distinction as well.

I think you're
The Fonz wrote:And it's not that post alone. The following three or four seem fluffy to me. Taking fencesitty positions on issues, without talking about who's scum, and asking an RQS question (and RQS is generally somewhat scummy) outside of the early part of the game (indicates desire to keep the fluffing going). Your posts up to 185 do not include a solid 'this is my top suspect' or vote. It all looks VERY active lurky. When I post from my phone, it tends to be short, to the point, and talks about who my top suspect is. IE, I'm more worried about taking positions and exerting pressure than 'being seen to contribute.' You seem to me to be doing the opposite.

I disagree that the "three or four" after #99 look like fluff. I provided my basic thoughts and posed a handful of questions to people. Just because you choose to be direct and short when you post from your phone doesn't mean that it's scummy not to. Post #99 was actually the last post from my phone anyway. [/quote]

No, but it speaks to a difference of motivation. When I don't have a lot of time to post, I try to make my stances as clear as possible. 99 contained a lot of words, but absolutely nothing about who the scum are, just a couple of hedgy 'I don't think this is that important' comments and some 'helpful advice.' That speaks to me of a different motivation - to be seen contributing. That's primarily a scum motivation.

Workdawg wrote:
I told you both why my contributions were lacking at the beginning of the game and I'm sick of trying to defend myself over that. If you don't want to believe it, then fine.

But it's not the lack of contribution, it's the type of contribution. It's almost like you're saying that because you're being a hero and staying in the game in difficult situations, we shouldn't be able to attack the posts you do make. Sorry, no dice.

Workdawg wrote: Your points against me can be summarized as follows (up until now):

1. IIOA from post 99 (607)
2. Non-commital (607)
--- You claim to have only read up to page 17 by this point...
3. Thread padding (628)
4. Voting for someone YOU THINK is town (628)
5. Two "playstyle wagons" (628).

1. ... yeah
2. I made a case against a person and voted for them. I don't think that's non-commital.
3. Simply not the case, and everyone else I've seen comment on this agrees with me.
4. lolplz
5. My votes against cym and blue were both intended to try and pressure them into posting, but obviously that didn't really work on either one of them. I suppose my vote against cym is based on his playstyle. However my vote on blue was based almost entirely on his slip in which he pretty much says he's only claiming to be a newb.

So yeah... my problem with your vote against me IS that it's poorly reasoned.

No, it's well reasoned, because you're probably scum.

1. Dealt with this in depth.
2. Eventually.
3. Oh, appeal to majority, is it? Asking RQS questions in general, and especially when there are real issues to be discussed, is thread padding and is scummy. It doesn't help find scum, it does help you look active. Your thoughts on Grimm, you basically
describe
him, but you do not ANALYZE him. 160 is a brilliant example. You say that someone else said something, but you didn't see it, you ask an asinine question and make a comment that doesn't seem to do anything in terms of helping find scum.
4. Well, scum want to lynch town. It's the most basic scumtell there is. If I see something and think 'Damn that's townish' and someone else claims to read it another way, there's always the possibility that it's because they're looking at it from a different (ie scum) perspective to me. Genuine frustration like that really looks town. Scum wouldn't care less if a game is stagnating.
5. Yeah, yeah, excuse excuse. Fact is, you put your vote in a place where I would expect scum to put it.

Workdawg wrote:

My vote against VE was not for votehopping, it was because he seemed to be votehopping based on the reaction he was getting from everyone else (trying to please the masses, rather than sticking to his case)... non-committal, as you called it. We disagree on his freakout, and I don't think disagreeing with you on that is scummy.

But I DO think attacking town is inherently scummy.

As for my thoughts on blue... I stand by that. Would you prefer a no-lynch? I'd vote for pretty much anyone who's even mildly suspicious to avoid a no-lynch scenario on D1. As for not making a case against any else, I intend to do that today/tonight. I was busy at work last friday... and then also busy most of the weekend. I just haven't had a chance to go back through the thread.

No, my problem is not that what you are stating is WRONG, it's that it's again stating the obvious in an attempt to look town. No-one wants a no-lynch. However you stated you were hoping for something better, but you didn't go do a re-read or produce a forceful case on someone else and try to get people on board, and that tells me your statement was dishonest- what you want is not a better wagon, but the excuse that there were none to lynch Cy or Blue without looking scummy.

@Cobbler: I don't have a time for a full rebuttal, but don't you think saying why I think the other four players are town constitutes explaining why I think Al, you, or Tomie is the buddy? Don't think for a second it's escaped my notice how you've blown with the wind w/r/t me and Workdawg. I make a case, I've convinced you I'm town and he's scum. He makes a rebuttal, you vote for me.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #784 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Post by Workdawg »

bigAl

His ISO was almost mind-numbingly boring TBH. Up until post 707 there was almost nothing going on. He used his IC hat a handful of times, he gave his thoughts on various topics, etc. Nothing scummy that I could see that hasn't already been pointed out. The "I don't know how QTs work" is interesting I guess, but his claim to have not played here in a long time seems legit, and maybe he really didn't know. His self deprecating comments are also mildly interesting, but I haven't noticed anything scummy at all really.

Post 707 he gives his reads and really starts to "come out of his shell" so to speak. There's some decent analysis in there and he covers pretty much everyone. He still seems like he hasn't really taken a firm stance on anyone yet. I guess that's the only thing that's really suspicious to me. We've got almost 800 posts (granted many are worthless fluff), but I would expect someone who seems to be so knowledgeable to take a more firm stance.

I think he's town.

cymru

His ISO is pretty quick, so I'll just toss this on the end here.

He has a few interesting bits, but a lot of it is just lacking in content, as we all know. His vote for Zihark actually seemed like a good vote. Zihark OMGUSd VE and cym called him on it. Granted VE had already called him on it, but hey.
His post 223 actually makes some sense as well (Grimm is scum and had to resort to jabs instead of logic to defend himself). I don't know that this is necessarily the case, but it's a good thought anyway. It's too bad he had become fixated on JJ so much at this point. I have to wonder what would have become of it if he had switched to Grimm. It's too bad he reneged on it only 2 hours later.

It seems to me like cymru has flickers of "helpful thoughts", but they are too scattered amongst amidst a lot of non-helpful posts. They seem to be coming more frequently as the deadline draws near, which is mildly suspicious, but not enough to make me think he's scum.

All that said, I'm really not sure what to think about him at this point, but I do think there are better targets for today.
Grimmjow
Grimmjow
Goon
Grimmjow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #785 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:47 pm

Post by Grimmjow »

Christ, my head hurts. I just got back from work, but I'll put some effort into this in a bit. So much analysis to do v.v

However, I will repost this, as it caught my eye just as I was posting this...

Workdawg wrote:It seems to me like cymru has flickers of "helpful thoughts", but they are too scattered amongst amidst a lot of non-helpful posts. They seem to be coming more frequently as the deadline draws near, which is mildly suspicious, but not enough to make me think he's scum.

I was noticing the exact same thing, actually. The closer we got to the deadline, the more frequently he started to post actual thoughts rather than nonsense. This could be explained by having people continuously say that he needs to post more content, and us commending him on having better reads/thoughts, or it could just be scum trying to stay in the background. And it did start happening more after everyone was completely fed up with Blue and were beginning to ignore him, as well. Which could very well be that he realized his "easy target" was not so easy of a target anymore and he
had
to step up his game.
/DANCE OR FEED
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #786 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:53 pm

Post by Cobblerfone »

The Fonz wrote:@Cobbler: I don't have a time for a full rebuttal, but don't you think saying why I think the other four players are town constitutes explaining why I think Al, you, or Tomie is the buddy? Don't think for a second it's escaped my notice how you've blown with the wind w/r/t me and Workdawg. I make a case, I've convinced you I'm town and he's scum. He makes a rebuttal, you vote for me.

You said you would explain. You didn't. You didn't merely forget either as your second returning post clearly indicates.
bigAl
bigAl
Goon
bigAl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #787 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Post by bigAl »

(carrying on) Later, #445, Workdawg votes cy right after I do. Bandwagon vote, sure, but reasonable I suppose. VE joins in shortly later.

[A lot of self-defense.]

As a semi-related side note... people who are throwing out "town points"... I'm not sure I like that so much. You are essentially giving scum feedback about what kinds of things YOU consider to be town. If I were scum, I would make note of what people are doing to earn "town points" and try to mimic those things.
This seems pro-town advice.

After a few of self-defense posts, we get to #770. This seems like a reasonable case to me, mostly. I disagree about the start of "The The Fonz Situation" bit, but agree that Cobblerfone's vote in #760 seems opportunistic to me.

Overall, I'm feeling better about Workdawg. Now, who to lynch instead? Gut feeling says Cobblerfone. Gotta get to bed for tonight though - more later.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #788 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:18 am

Post by The Fonz »

Cobblerfone wrote:
You said you would explain. You didn't. You didn't merely forget either as your second returning post clearly indicates.

This is simply untrue. I DID explain. In 712, I pointed out that you used 'Too defensive' which is a scum argument, and called you trying to direct the town power scummy, and that you were going with the 'commenting on everything but not taking a firm stance on anything' type of behaviour. And in particular, I pointed out that you made the very strong scumtell of asking 'Does anyone else think this is scummy?' That's scummy because it indicates you care too much about what other people think, rather than just getting on with saying what YOU think. This is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, giving reason to suspect you.

On BigAl, I said this:

I wrote:
BigAl wrote:UNVOTE: Grimmjow, VOTE: Cymru for not contributing any suspicions for pages and pages, and then finally contributing illogical ones.

This is scummy. Whether someone's suspicions are logical or illogical, especially in a newbie game, isn't often that relevant a consideration. Some people are just dumb.

This is a reason to suspect BigAl. As shown by the fact I said 'this is scummy.' Some of it is gut as well, of course. I didn't specifically comment on Tomie, but then, my suspicion of him is largely process of elimination. Which is fine. He's less scummy than any of the other three, though he needs to stop lurking. (Or she, i'm not sure).

I then expanded on my townreads, which were several, and left only you, Workdawg, BigAl and Tomie on the outside. This is also a perfectly good explanation of why I think those players are the most likely scum- take out the town reads, and obviously everyone who is left is more likely scum.

So either you have a weird definition of 'explain,' you're not reading properly, or you're misrepresenting scum. Which is it?
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #789 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:28 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Votecount 1.15

Workdawg - 2 - The Fonz, VisceraEyes
bigAl - 1 - cymru96
Cobblerfone - 1 - Grimmjow
cymru96 - 1 - Tomie Uzumaki
The Fonz - 1 - Cobblerfone

Not Voting: bigAl, Workdawg, Zachrulez

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

Deadline: July 5 -- (expired on 2011-07-05 11:00:00)

V/LA: ...
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #790 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:38 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

The Fonz wrote:
This is simply untrue. I DID explain. In 712, I pointed out that you used 'Too defensive' which is a scum argument, and called you trying to direct the town power scummy, and that you were going with the 'commenting on everything but not taking a firm stance on anything' type of behaviour. And in particular, I pointed out that you made the very strong scumtell of asking 'Does anyone else think this is scummy?' That's scummy because it indicates you care too much about what other people think, rather than just getting on with saying what YOU think. This is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, giving reason to suspect you.

You didn't explain Tomie. I'm sorry for not finding your reasons for bigAl. That section was incorrectly formatted and confusing.

UNVOTE: The Fonz
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #791 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Post by Workdawg »

I've read a few more ISOs and no one else is looking nearly as suspicious to me.

VOTE: Cobblerfone
bigAl
bigAl
Goon
bigAl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #792 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Post by bigAl »

Okay, so we're at two for workdawg and two for cobblerfone and six days to go. I'm going to be all indecisively-scummy here for a sec and say that either way, I like this choice far better than a blue vs. cy lynch.

Grimmjow has been quiet lately - thoughts on workdawg?
Grimmjow
Grimmjow
Goon
Grimmjow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #793 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:17 am

Post by Grimmjow »

I'm sorry for having been so quiet. RL shit got in the way. New job and all, plus other crap. I'll try to catch back up this afternoon/evening.
/DANCE OR FEED
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #794 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:49 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

After thinking it through again, I've decided I'm just tired with this day and decided out of the three I've been hounding Workdawg seems to be the only viable lynch.

VOTE: Workdawg
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #795 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:57 am

Post by Workdawg »

Cobblerfone wrote:After thinking it through again, I've decided I'm just tired with this day and decided out of the three I've been hounding Workdawg seems to be the only viable lynch.

VOTE: Workdawg

I hope you take your socks off before you put your flipflops on.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #796 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:52 am

Post by Zachrulez »

I'm up to about page 8 now.

General impressions to that point are that Viceraeyes is scum. Miss JJ pangs there more weakly.

Grimm and Workdawg feel town.

Lots of walls...
cymru96
cymru96
Goon
cymru96
Goon
Goon

Post Post #797 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:04 am

Post by cymru96 »

The thing that cobbler said about getting tired of the day seems suspicious... are you just trying to end it to take the pressure away from you?
Record as townie- 0-0

Record as Scum- 2-0
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #798 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:50 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

cymru wrote:The thing that cobbler said about getting tired of the day seems suspicious... are you just trying to end it to take the pressure away from you?

No, it's that we're up to page 32 on day one.

zachrulez wrote:I'm up to about page 8 now.

General impressions to that point are that Viceraeyes is scum. Miss JJ pangs there more weakly.

Grimm and Workdawg feel town.

Lots of walls...

This is an interesting perspective.
UNVOTE: Workdawg just in case so Zachrulez can finish. I'll hammer if we get to the point that we only have 48 hours left.

Aside: What's the record for longest day one in terms of pages?
Grimmjow
Grimmjow
Goon
Grimmjow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #799 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:56 am

Post by Grimmjow »

cymru96 wrote:The thing that cobbler said about getting tired of the day seems suspicious... are you just trying to end it to take the pressure away from you?

I actually agree with you here, cy.

Ok, now on to the catching-up-ness.
/DANCE OR FEED

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”