Newbie 1138 - Game Over! Town Win!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
DarkClaymore
DarkClaymore
Goon
DarkClaymore
Goon
Goon

Post Post #525 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:46 am

Post by DarkClaymore »

Didn't I put you on the list in the beginning of D2? Why is my list the only one you're unhappy with. You're on other people's lists too, near the top as well. You should be arguing with them too, or is my case just special?

It's is special and how you don't want to see it is just stupid. Point me at another player who put me on top and not only did nothing to argue with me and show my faults - but also latter on said he got nothing on me?

I'm not arguing because you put me on the list. But rather because you latter on said you have nothing on me. I would gladly argue with whoever did the same thing.
whilst
whilst
Goon
whilst
Goon
Goon

Post Post #526 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:02 am

Post by whilst »

DarkClaymore wrote:
Didn't I put you on the list in the beginning of D2? Why is my list the only one you're unhappy with. You're on other people's lists too, near the top as well. You should be arguing with them too, or is my case just special?

It's is special and how you don't want to see it is just stupid. Point me at another player who put me on top and not only did nothing to argue with me and show my faults - but also latter on said he got nothing on me?

I'm not arguing because you put me on the list. But rather because you latter on said you have nothing on me. I would gladly argue with whoever did the same thing.

I did argue against you, remember? You thought I was supporting both sides when Abel was arguing with you. Was this the post that I said "I have nothing on you"? I'm reading it over again, and I don't quite get how you came to that conclusion. I said I wasn't sure about the lynch.

I can't show you anyone else that has put you at the top of your list, and then later said they have nothing on you. Everyone has more or less followed up on their suspicions. However, I can say that you suspect me, and also have nothing on me.
whilst
whilst
Goon
whilst
Goon
Goon

Post Post #527 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:17 am

Post by whilst »

whilst wrote:
Honest Abel wrote:whilst, you are just arguing with DC. If you are town, please start convincing us/me, because I'm nearly ready to see you lynched. You might be able to do this by giving an unbiased look at the game and players, giving good reasons to go after someone other than DC, and then doing so. Your posts are reactive to DC, which doesn't strike me as protown.

Did anyone besides NS even respond to IAI?

Ignore this, I just went back and read. Abel responded as well, and (I believe) IAI will respond to Abel eventually. IAI did explain his BBmolla vote pretty convincingly, though. I also don't think IAI presented the strongest case against cavjj -- but I don't think anyone here can. I can't, yet?

I would like to know:
cavjj
, who do you want to see lynched at the end of this day? If I've asked this before and missed it, sorry.

As I've pointed out before, we have until the 22nd (alllll day). I would like
Nothing Special
's take on my recent argument with DC.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #528 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:18 am

Post by singersigner »

Vote Count 2.7

cavjj (0):
DarkClaymore (2): dicknose, whilst
Honest Abel (0):
whilst (2): DarkClaymore, Nobody Special
dicknose (0):
I Am Innocent (0):
Nobody Special (0):

Not Voting (3): cavjj, Honest Abel, I Am Innocent

With 7 alive it takes 4 to lynch.

Mod Notes:

• Keep up the great activity, guys! I LOVE not knowing if my votecount is accurate or not because of all the pages I have to sift through. ;) (on that note, please let me know if there are any discrepancies!)[/list]
  • Glork and quadz08 are my favorite.

I like tomatoes.
    Honest Abel
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #529 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:53 am

Post by Honest Abel »

whilst wrote:IAI did explain his BBmolla vote pretty convincingly, though.
    Right, on D2, with no proof that he didn't just come up with those reasons today. I actually skipped that post of his because it's irrelevant for that reason.
    "He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
    ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
    Catch-22
    Honest Abel
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #530 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:56 am

Post by Honest Abel »

Okay, I didn't entirely skip it because I remember reading the last two paragraphs. But his case on BBmolla is entirely irrelevant now. Explaining it now does nothing to fix that he didn't give reasons to vote for BBmolla on D1 when it was relevant.
    ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
    Catch-22
    whilst
    whilst
    Goon
    whilst
    Goon
    Goon

Post Post #531 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:27 am

Post by whilst »

Honest Abel wrote:Okay, I didn't entirely skip it because I remember reading the last two paragraphs. But his case on BBmolla is entirely irrelevant now. Explaining it now does nothing to fix that he didn't give reasons to vote for BBmolla on D1 when it was relevant.

Yeah, point taken.
    DarkClaymore
    DarkClaymore
    Goon
    DarkClaymore
    Goon
    Goon

Post Post #532 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:24 am

Post by DarkClaymore »

You thought I was supporting both sides when Abel was arguing with you. Was this the post that I said "I have nothing on you"? I'm reading it over again, and I don't quite get how you came to that conclusion. I said I wasn't sure about the lynch.

Then how am I supposed to interpret:
    Why should I even bother voting for people who I have no evidence of being scum?

This doesn't look like "I have reasons for suspecting you, but I'm not sure about them". And you didn't even present any reason if I recall correctly. If anything, you only defended me and my playstyle on a few occasions.

However, I can say that you suspect me, and also have nothing on me.

I have more than enough to convince myself. I'm willing to follow my lynchbait reads.
    But people don't like them, so I'm forced to present other reasons. Abel agreed how some of them are good so you can't say that I "have nothing on you". Maybe YOU think these reasons are shallow, but I think they aren't and there are people who agree at least SOME of my arguments are legit. Saying that I have nothing on you is a blunt lie.

I actually think the main reason you weren't lynched yet is the fact you have a record of playing in such scummy way. Maybe you are used to the fact others let everything you do slide because of this but I'm clearly not going to do this.
    DarkClaymore
    DarkClaymore
    Goon
    DarkClaymore
    Goon
    Goon

Post Post #533 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:31 am

Post by DarkClaymore »

ABELI believe you haven't gone over my reasons against you yet, so I'd like to add something I forgot to
    reason #4
    From the same source I quoted other stuff there:
    http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?tit ... e_At_Mafia

Do not fool yourself into thinking you can call the scumteam, especially before anyone has flipped scum. Don't bother with trying to draw connections between players until one of them is dead. It's tempting! but futile.

You are doing it. You are always saying you think X & Y or Y & Z are the scumteam. Again, something that appears protown because it shows you think. But just like what written there - it's pointless. If I told you that and tried to explain why - you'd just write me off as an idiot and ignore my opinion. So I'm not even gonna try. It's all written there and that article isn't there for nothing.
    Nobody Special
    Nobody Special
    Survivor
    Nobody Special
    Survivor
    Survivor

Post Post #534 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:08 am

Post by Nobody Special »

To address HA's question, I am quite ready for a lynch (preferably whilst; I would also accept IAI, although truly I'd rather do whilst today, see the flip and go from there).

There does come a point where waffling and posturing become unproductive; we're not quite there yet, but I'm afraid we will get there in the next few RL days. I'd be ecstatic with a lynch by the end of the weekend (unless, of course, some bonehead makes an incredible scumslip and we need to look over that).

Something that hasn't come up in this game: What time zone is everyone in? That would be helpful for relative timeframes such as dicknose's request here. I'm in US PDT (GMT-7).

If you don't know your difference from GMT (this is mostly for Ignorant Americans; I find most non-NorthAmerican people are MUCH better at this than we are) -- you can see the current GMT time here.
    ....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
    Honest Abel
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #535 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:11 am

Post by Honest Abel »

Stop quoting the wiki. First of all, you're not proving anything about yourself by quoting something you didn't write. Second, any goddamn idiot could have written that, it's a wiki. And if the person who wrote it isn't an idiot, I reserve the right to disagree anyway. Third, anything put on a wiki about strategy in this game is immediately null and void because it becomes public knowledge and everybody knows the tricks. Fourth, I haven't made any decisions in this game based
    solely
    on potential scumbuddies. It's a minor reason of many reasons I suspect IAI. Fifth (do I really have this many things to say to you? Holy shit), don't
    outguess
    me that I'd write you off as an idiot and ignore your opinion, you don't know that.

I may very well renege on my promise to look at your case on me because the back-and-forth it's going to lead to is just going to provide you another outlet to propagate your nonsense.

...But odds are I'm going to respond anyway. I'm definitely not going to go through endless rounds of argument/counterargument with you like you've been doing with whilst and dicknose.

I'm in Eastern Time (EDT, GMT-5).
    ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
    Catch-22
    Honest Abel
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #536 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:12 am

Post by Honest Abel »

Also, DC, why are you so faithful to your beloved wiki when you're all about using the "weird" strategy?
    ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
    Catch-22
    cavjj
    cavjj
    Goon
    cavjj
    Goon
    Goon

Post Post #537 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:14 am

Post by cavjj »

Not going to be available for around 24 hours guys. I know it's not quite VLA but thought you all should know.

In answer to Whilst's question about who I would like to see lynched; at the moment IAI and then whilst.
    Nobody Special
    Nobody Special
    Survivor
    Nobody Special
    Survivor
    Survivor

Post Post #538 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:23 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Honest Abel wrote:This just crossed my mind for no reason:

NS, what do you think of cavjj given his D2 performance? All you've said about him is that he seems town based on #139, which you didn't explain. Explain and tell me what you think of cavjj overall.

Almost forgot this, sorry:

cavjj is lying low and not pinging me at all right now (unintentionally or not). I'm leaning pretty town with him, really.

And to explain #139: It's honestly more gut than anything else; it just strikes me as a very odd scumthing to say. It struck me as frustrated town at the time. Looking at it now, it doesn't exactly have the same effect it did when I first saw it, but I still don't think he's scummy.

Now, having said THAT, if whilst flips town, I'll be looking again at most everyone; cavjj will be high on my list simply due to the D1 hammer. If whilst and IAI BOTH flip town, we're in trouble. I'm not going to start lining up lynches, but I do know who my top two are if whilst & IAI are both town.
    ....what?

whilst
    whilst
    Goon
    whilst
    Goon
    Goon

Post Post #539 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:53 am

Post by whilst »

Nobody Special wrote:Now, having said THAT, if whilst flips town, I'll be looking again at most everyone; cavjj will be high on my list simply due to the D1 hammer. If whilst and IAI BOTH flip town, we're in trouble. I'm not going to start lining up lynches, but I do know who my top two are if whilst & IAI are both town.

What was your reasoning behind the lynch on me?
    whilst
    whilst
    Goon
    whilst
    Goon
    Goon

Post Post #540 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Post by whilst »

DarkClaymore wrote:
    You thought I was supporting both sides when Abel was arguing with you. Was this the post that I said "I have nothing on you"? I'm reading it over again, and I don't quite get how you came to that conclusion. I said I wasn't sure about the lynch.

Then how am I supposed to interpret:
    Why should I even bother voting for people who I have no evidence of being scum?

This doesn't look like "I have reasons for suspecting you, but I'm not sure about them". And you didn't even present any reason if I recall correctly. If anything, you only defended me and my playstyle on a few occasions.

Go back and look to what that response was to.

DarkClaymore wrote:
    However, I can say that you suspect me, and also have nothing on me.

I have more than enough to convince myself. I'm willing to follow my lynchbait reads.
    But people don't like them, so I'm forced to present other reasons. Abel agreed how some of them are good so you can't say that I "have nothing on you". Maybe YOU think these reasons are shallow, but I think they aren't and there are people who agree at least SOME of my arguments are legit. Saying that I have nothing on you is a blunt lie.

If you say so.

DarkClaymore wrote:I actually think the main reason you weren't lynched yet is the fact you have a record of playing in such scummy way. Maybe you are used to the fact others let everything you do slide because of this but I'm clearly not going to do this.

I have a record of playing in such a scummy way? Did Abel say that? Why even trust him, has he linked you to any of our previous games? Why should my persona from other mafia games carry over to this one? No, I'm not used to people letting me slide.
    whilst
    whilst
    Goon
    whilst
    Goon
    Goon

Post Post #541 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Post by whilst »

I am also in Eastern time (GMT -5).
    whilst
    whilst
    Goon
    whilst
    Goon
    Goon

Post Post #542 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:05 pm

Post by whilst »

cavjj wrote:Not going to be available for around 24 hours guys. I know it's not quite VLA but thought you all should know.

In answer to Whilst's question about who I would like to see lynched; at the moment IAI and then whilst.

All right, I would also like your reason to see my lynch through. Since you put IAI before me, it would also be paramount to discuss why he should be lynched -- but after he responds.
    Nobody Special
    Nobody Special
    Survivor
    Nobody Special
    Survivor
    Survivor

Post Post #543 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

whilst wrote:
    Nobody Special wrote:Now, having said THAT, if whilst flips town, I'll be looking again at most everyone; cavjj will be high on my list simply due to the D1 hammer. If whilst and IAI BOTH flip town, we're in trouble. I'm not going to start lining up lynches, but I do know who my top two are if whilst & IAI are both town.

What was your reasoning behind the lynch on me?

The bulk of my case on you is here; it's less of your direct actions and more of IAI's interactions (and lack thereof) with you (if that makes sense).
    ....what?

Honest Abel
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #544 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Post by Honest Abel »

This is all in response to DC; the bulk of it is tangential and could only be answered with explaining my personal preferences. Skip to the very end if you want to get straight to the point:

1)
    Dictator
    . I'm absolutely fine with hearing any strategy you want to put forward. I suppose you brought this up because I was against your strategy in particular. Your strategy certainly does a whole world of harm more than it does good, if it does any good at all. If whilst flips scum, you are not off the hook. You will still be a huge suspect D3, and you've made D2 a huge headache to analyze. I think outside of the box every day at my job (I write for an advert agency), so I'm not against great, innovative strategies. I'm against people thinking their ideas are amazing while ignoring the huge amount of damage they're doing and not getting any trustworthy results. I'm not a dictator, I'm a general, and the rest of my fellow townies should hold themselves in such high esteem. We'd have a better time of it.

1.1)
    Leader
    . Yes, I lead people in the direction I think we should be going. I hope any one of you would try your best to lead me in the direction
    you
    think we should be going. If you have a strong scum read, do your best to convince others while listening to what everyone else has to say, including your target. That was always my idea. I put a case forward on BBmolla and asked if anyone else wanted a go at him, but I also asked (and this has been greatly ignored up to now): "Anyone interested in critiquing my line of questioning/reasoning?" Nobody did. Not a one of you. Three dudes jumped on and D1 was over. So much for discussion.

I don't care about SE and IC being our leaders. I certainly wouldn't let one of them lead
    me
    around, not with what happened in Newbie 1092. If I have a question about the game, I will ask one of them (and I have). That's where their "leadership" ends.

I'm not letting someone think for themselves? Show me where I've turned down a good case or good pressure on someone. Show me any evidence at all that I'm making the town follow one person. You can't say such things without examples, especially when they're so obviously lies. I've been a part of developing a case on BBmolla, you, and IAI, and small cases on whilst and cavjj. And I apologize for being wrong about BBmolla, but townies get lynched all the time, and you need to accept that. Five people agreed he was scummy enough to vote for, and cavjj and possibly you thought he was scummy enough to be lynched. Or you're scum.

1.2)
    One Ideology
    . I'm not unaccepting of new ideas and strategies. I'll listen to anything, evaluate it, and tell you whether it's shit or not, honestly. Your strategy was shit and I'm not the only one who explained why. Everything you do in this game is either protown or antitown, and it's pretty clear which a certain action is if you would think about it. Now that you are acting a bit more protown, you're getting results. How does it feel?

I called your citing of that other game irrelevant because you said the biggest boon to your strategy was that it helps in ties. We don't have ties in this game. The conversation about ties certainly was, and still is, irrelevant.

I did ask you to cite your sources first and foremost, if I recall correctly. After a while without citing, I started calling your stories nonsense. Also, your interpretation of what happened in the games you cited when you finally cited them is a bit different from how I think the rest of us would interpret it.

I cannot play like a dictator in a game where everyone has a vote. This is unalterably a democratic game. Did I strip you of your vote? Am I forcing people to vote one way or another? No. I thought this was always evident. Maybe the BBmolla mislynch was a wake-up call to you, as I hope it was, to realize that you shouldn't stake your vote on someone else's case without thinking about it first. The thing about democracy is that it isn't just about votes, it's about having a voice. The smallest minority has the right to make their case to the populous. It had better be a good one.

2)
    Ignoring your own previous deductions
    . Opinions change over time. Appearing confident is an important part of adding pressure. A statement so self-assured and intuitive like "
    lol, looks like we have our scumteam
    " is going to dismantle a scumteam more than "
    Well, here are all the reasons my previous case doesn't work anymore. I admit its shortcomings could apply to any case I make in the future. That said, my next suspicion is that these two gentlemen are a scumteam
    ."

It's always my strategy to pressure and target players who are here to answer for themselves. If I'm presented with two scummy players (let's hypothetically call them "IAI" and "DC") and IAI decides one day he's going to have a life outside of the mafia game, then I am going to put all of my resources into scumhunting DC. Otherwise, what am I supposed to do? Keep talking to IAI all day and let DC just sit there silent at his computer? Nah.

3)
    Playing extremely protown and jumping on every little thing
    . I play as protown as possible and you should too. That's my stance, and I'm sticking with it. I obviously can't cover everything because I'm not a superhero, but I'm not concerned about whether or not I make you look scummy by not leaving anything for you to say.
    You're
    concerned about whether or not you look scummy, which is scummy. Someone has to say protown things, and I have no life or try not to, so if I'm around and there's something protown to be done, I'm going to do it. I expect every townie to feel the same way, or have a good reason for not feeling the same way. I can imagine such reasons. Yours aren't particularly convincing.

4)
    Doing what is wrong and make it appear protown
    . "Wrong" is subjective in this case. Don't believe everything you read.

5)
    Publicly saying someone is town
    . I reserve the right to make and change my opinions on people whenever I want. In fact, I'm less confident that dicknose is town now than I was before. He makes good points clearly and with purpose, but he's been tunneling you all day. Maybe it's because you're so damn scummy, but he's due for an evaluation. Me saying dicknose seems town isn't going to get him killed, and if it does, well, sorry, someone is going to die anyway. I've often wondered what the point is in saying someone seems town. I believe it has to do with honesty and developing a town consciousness. If we all have a good opinion of a player, it will allow that player to continue being helpful and protown. I don't see how calling someone is town is more or less harmful than calling someone scum, really.

I'm not interested in discussing these points further since a lot of them seem tangential. In fact, I have only one request for you, DC:
    Please go back through each of the seven points you made about me and explain why a townie wouldn't do those things and why scum would.
    If you happen to make any good points, I will respond in kind. Otherwise, I'm just not seeing how any of this looks truly scummy.
    ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
    Catch-22
    Honest Abel
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #545 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Post by Honest Abel »

Honest Abel wrote:
    Please go back through each of the seven points you made about me and explain why a townie wouldn't do those things and why scum would.
    That said, I'm willing to do exactly that same thing in my case about IAI, if anything needs explaining, even if it will result in me throwing out my own ideas. Just let me know.

EDIT:
    Every moderator has the ability to edit posts. If you'd like me to fix something instead of reposting it correctly, just let me know. I usually try to catch these things and fix them automatically anyway. : )
    ~singer
    Last edited by singersigner on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
    Catch-22
    Honest Abel
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Honest Abel
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #546 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:05 pm

Post by Honest Abel »

EBWOP:

Honest Abel wrote:
    That said, I'm willing to do exactly that same thing in my case about IAI, if anything needs explaining, even if it will result in me throwing out my own ideas. Just let me know.
    ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
    Catch-22
    I Am Innocent
    I Am Innocent
    Jack of All Trades
    I Am Innocent
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #547 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Post by I Am Innocent »

DarkClaymore wrote:
    This misleads the town as you try to force your opinion on others while not letting them to think for themselves. This is obviously not protown play. Actually, it's obviously anti-town because you KNOW that following one person is bound to mislead the town. And misleading is something only scum would want. Of course, in the position of a leader you are also less likely to be lynched. Yes, even if you make a mistake. You'll just easily put the blame for the mislynch on someone else and will make him the next target.

lol, like he did with you, me,
    and cavjj
    Show
    Town 21-21-1
    Mafia 10-6

Replaced Out (Town) 1-5
    Replaced Out (Mafia) 3-2 (incl hydra game with Nero where I flaked)

Ongoing
    None
    Bricktoes
    Bricktoes
    Mafia Scum
    Bricktoes
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #548 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Post by Bricktoes »

Since I have a minute right now, I've seen a few of you mention me tunneling Darky. I never intended to do so, I even told myself to stop several times, but in the end Someonw Was Wrong On The Internet.
    down
    and that's the way we get down
    Bricktoes
    Bricktoes
    Mafia Scum
    Bricktoes
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #549 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Post by Bricktoes »

Tthat's also the most pathetic criticism of Abel you have.
    down
    and that's the way we get down

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”