Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #800 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:40 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Wasn't Smooth Operator new just last year? But yeah, it seems a bit like a 'well done, you didn't screw anything up noticeably' sort of award... wouldn't miss it, personally.

Tar: *shrug* The modding awards all overlap significantly anyway, because it's harder to tell where one part ends and another begins.
Retired as of October 2014.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #801 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:55 am

Post by zoraster »

Mr. Flay wrote:Wasn't Smooth Operator new just last year? But yeah, it seems a bit like a 'well done, you didn't screw anything up noticeably' sort of award... wouldn't miss it, personally.

Tar: *shrug* The modding awards all overlap significantly anyway, because it's harder to tell where one part ends and another begins.

Yeah, I guess it was. Then I'm not sure it was ever very useful. I think a category that would reward mini-normal and open moderators would be nice. It probably won't get a ton of nominations because players of those games are a little stingy with them, but it'd be nice to see moderators rewarded for that.

--
While I'm talking about revamping the scummies, I'd suggest moving
Don Corleone
and
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
to the single-game categories. This tends to be how they're nominated and decided anyway... on the basis of single game performances. It's also allows a player to get nominated for more than one game in the same category. Right now, when a player has a second good game, ostensibly that's sort of entered into the equation of the body of work award, but in reality it gets totally overlooked unless the scummy judges actually played in that game.

Best Performance in a Losing Cause
should already be in the single thread/game category.

Most enjoyable poster
seems like an iffy category. We already have a "funniest" category. And we have performance based awards. I don't know where this fits in.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #802 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:00 am

Post by VP Baltar »

Zoraster wrote:While I'm talking about revamping the scummies, I'd suggest moving Don Corleone and Paragon of Mafia Hunters to the single-game categories. This tends to be how they're nominated and decided anyway... on the basis of single game performances. It's also allows a player to get nominated for more than one game in the same category. Right now, when a player has a second good game, ostensibly that's sort of entered into the equation of the body of work award, but in reality it gets totally overlooked unless the scummy judges actually played in that game.

Well, that seems like a problem from the judges more than a systematic problem. It's not that much work to glance at two or three other games to see if the person is consistently playing well, and imo that should be a factor when determining who wins those really headline awards.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
DemonHybrid
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
And Another Thing...

Post Post #803 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:09 am

Post by DemonHybrid »

Mr. Flay wrote:Wasn't Smooth Operator new just last year? But yeah, it seems a bit like a 'well done, you didn't screw anything up noticeably' sort of award... wouldn't miss it, personally.

A lot goes into finding replacements, votecounting on time and dealing with tough issues and how fast you deal with all 3 (not to mention prodding). I think Smooth Operator has a LOT of merit and I'm in support of a Best New Mod.
This account is no longer being used.

You want this one.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #804 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:18 am

Post by zoraster »

DemonHybrid wrote:

A lot goes into finding replacements, votecounting on time and dealing with tough issues and how fast you deal with all 3 (not to mention prodding). I think Smooth Operator has a LOT of merit and I'm in support of a Best New Mod.

Certainly, there's a fair amount that goes into basic moderation.* A good moderator helps a game be fun for her players by being efficient and effective. But I'm not sure that should be enough for an award. And I'm not sure even if it is enough that smooth operators are being nominated because players expect efficient and effective moderation, so it doesn't seem like something they need to award.

*But let's be honest here. Moderating isn't exactly hard. I think I'm one of the very most active moderators in my games. But which is more work once the game actually starts: moderating or playing? It seems pretty clear to me that it's playing. It's a different answer if you include the amount of work that goes into designing a game (it takes me hours and hours on a typical game), but that's not what Smooth Operator is about.

EDIT: And I'll accept VP's points on paragon and don corleone. That said, I think the nomination process for those would be improved if a player could be nominated multiple times for it from different games. Then when the judges confer, they can combine the same nominations from a player.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #805 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:12 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I agree that for body of work there should be multiple nominations for the same person encouraged and welcomed so that we can get more of a 'body of work' feel to everything.
green shirt thursdays
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #806 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:13 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

Nominate Reck for Paragon of Mafia Hunters for Psychic Mafia
To be clear: quack
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #807 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:56 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I'm already nominated for the category, but thank you anyway.
green shirt thursdays
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #808 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:10 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

I thought we were pushing of enforcing the "Body of Work" part?
(psst... that's not how circlejerk works Reck...)
Magister Ludi
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #809 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:20 am

Post by Magister Ludi »

Well, if you wanted to amend bodyofwork, it could be a requirement when nominating the player to produce 3 (or more) games where you think that player displayed that quaility (scum hunting or manipulation) for the nomination to go through and be considered.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #810 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

That's a good idea. Me likey.
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #811 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:26 am

Post by gandalf5166 »

Magister Ludi wrote:Well, if you wanted to amend bodyofwork, it could be a requirement when nominating the player to produce 3 (or more) games where you think that player displayed that quaility (scum hunting or manipulation) for the nomination to go through and be considered.

I think that will cause the number of nominations to drastically decrease. People generally come out of one game that really impresses them and then make the nomination. I like the idea of multiple nominations much better.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #812 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:40 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Multiple nominations for awards seems fine; some players could conceivably only finish one epic game a year, and I don't think they should be disqualified automatically from BoW awards.
Retired as of October 2014.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #813 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:41 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

Well then why not have two separate categories for "Body of Work for the Year" and "Epic Single Game"?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #814 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:45 am

Post by Faraday »

Because. Anyway, it's not like the body of work isn't looked at. Last year we had the players send in their games and stuff so multiple nominations seems really unnecessary, when judges are looking at body of work
anyway
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #815 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:03 am

Post by zoraster »

Look at it from the other side of the fence, Faraday. Someone has an epic game that finishes in November. I'd like that person to get nominated for that game. But hey, some dufus nominated him for a game that he didn't even WIN back in March, so tough luck... the nomination on record will be for that mediocre nomination.

Anyway, judges may well look to the body of work, but in my experience, individual game efforts overrode it. I think there's little harm in multiple nominations that simply get pushed into one nomination at the end of the year. It'll make the list a bit longer, maybe, but that's okay.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #816 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Faraday wrote:Because. Anyway, it's not like the body of work isn't looked at. Last year we had the players send in their games and stuff so multiple nominations seems really unnecessary, when judges are looking at body of work
anyway

Uhhhh...?

I was nominated for Paragon and Don Corleone last year and not once was I asked to send in games or anything. So either what you just said is total bullshit, or you guys only asked
certain
players to provide their body of work, which means it isn't fair judging.

I think the three games thing might not be the answer, because Paragon is supposed to be a single person. If a single person has a really good game, forcing people to hold onto that nomination until there are two other games where they can roll it all into a single nomination seems pointless. I would recommend some other kind of system, where players can be nominated for body of work awards after only one game, but they're kept in "pending" status until three games are nominated as well. This would cut down on the judge's time and also make sure that each person nominated for body of work is actually getting their fair voice out there.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #817 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:01 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

And you can look at last year's body of work awards and see that they really only focused on one game. If they're not being presented or judged as such, why bother making it a body of work award?
green shirt thursdays
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #818 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:02 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

SleepyKrew wrote:Well then why not have two separate categories for "Body of Work for the Year" and "Epic Single Game"?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #819 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:06 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

The issue is that body of work isn't really being judged at all.
green shirt thursdays
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #820 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:06 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

So make my proposed version of BoW require 3 nominated games.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #821 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:09 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

No, there's no need for two variations on a single person's performance(s). Chances are, someone who is strong enough to be nominated for one game's performance will probably have other games that can earn them a BoW nomination as well.
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #822 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:11 am

Post by zoraster »

xRECKONERx wrote:
Faraday wrote:Because. Anyway, it's not like the body of work isn't looked at. Last year we had the players send in their games and stuff so multiple nominations seems really unnecessary, when judges are looking at body of work
anyway

Uhhhh...?

I was nominated for Paragon and Don Corleone last year and not once was I asked to send in games or anything. So either what you just said is total bullshit, or you guys only asked
certain
players to provide their body of work, which means it isn't fair judging.

I think the three games thing might not be the answer, because Paragon is supposed to be a single person. If a single person has a really good game, forcing people to hold onto that nomination until there are two other games where they can roll it all into a single nomination seems pointless. I would recommend some other kind of system, where players can be nominated for body of work awards after only one game, but they're kept in "pending" status until three games are nominated as well. This would cut down on the judge's time and also make sure that each person nominated for body of work is actually getting their fair voice out there.

I agree with your reasoning up until the part about the pending system. That seems more appropriate for a "life time achievement" or "hall of fame" award.

I think the current system is fine. Just allow multiple game nominations, and the problem should be solved. I don't think the answer is to require at least X games. For one thing, would this be applied to third-parties? Would town require more games than scum (since you're more likely to have more repeat plays as town than scum)? Anyway, I have no problem with someone winning if they just have one astounding game. But I also want to make sure that people can get nominated for multiple games they play, even if they can only win the award once.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #823 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:17 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Right. I think my main issue here is to make sure people who get nominated for BoW are actually being considered for their entire BoW. Let's say someone has one great game and gets nominated for that (let's call him Player 1). Let's also say someone else has a pretty damn good game and gets nominated for that (let's call him Player 2). Player 1's ONE great game was a fluke, and they played like shit the rest of the year. Player 2's ONE game was good, but he played at a consistently good level the entire year, but nobody bothered nominating him for those games since he was already on the list.

By comparison, Player 1's game is going to beat Player 2's game in a vacuum. So what is "Body of Work"? Is it just the good stuff that gets nominated, while ignoring the bad? Or is it truly a "Body of Work" award?
green shirt thursdays
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #824 (ISO) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:27 am

Post by SleepyKrew »