Newbie 1151 ÔÇô Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Epsilon_Andrew
Epsilon_Andrew
Goon
Epsilon_Andrew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:43 am

Post by Epsilon_Andrew »

Xeras wrote:Epsilon, this would be odd.

Unvote, Vote Ranmaru

Ok, that was scummy.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:52 am

Post by Ranmaru »

Epsilon_Andrew wrote:
Lord wrote:
Vote: Ranmaru
because it's night.

You voted for Ranmaru because it is night? I find it odd that your vote is against someone who already had a vote on them.

Actually, it's perfectly fine. What intentions do you see from Lord? And Xeras, since you said it was scummy.
Xeras
Xeras
Goon
Xeras
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:56 am

Post by Xeras »

Hmm... Ran, it looks like we have more in common than I previously thought.

Also, I can say you definitely are a peacock. At this point, I am going to say Epsilon is slightly doggish. I want to see how that one progresses.
Town 5-2
Mafia 2-0
Overall 7-2
Uite
Uite
Mafia Scum
Uite
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:29 am

Post by Uite »

[ɜytə] — Ceterum censeo spumam delendam esse

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:23 pm

Post by Krazy »

This is the part where my RVS would be on Ranmaru, but since that would put him at L-1 I don't vote this post.

Ranmaru, I've been wondering where your name comes from. It reminds me of "Ranma" but I kind of assume there's no relation.
vote conspiracy
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I have thought of voting you as an RVS, but I thought it would be better to use it on someone new to get a read on them.

My name actually comes from the Wall Flower Manga. : P The name there was based on the original Ranmaru I think. : D
Xeras
Xeras
Goon
Xeras
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Post by Xeras »

Ah Krazy, the IC has shown up.

Krazy, would you say that you prefer to play as town or as mafia more?
Also, which one would you say you are better at playing at?
Town 5-2
Mafia 2-0
Overall 7-2
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:41 pm

Post by Krazy »

The above post was my normal first game post. I will indicate posts where I put on my IC hat in italics. Although technically all posts in thread are normal game posts, I will do my best as an IC to indicate when I am wearing an IC hat to explain basic terminology if needed, or point out basic points about site meta. I will do my best to give advice to all players, including scum, in IC posts out of a sense of fairness. I will however try to avoid using IC posts to address behavior of specific players.

As it is, this game has a whooping 4 SEs, and they will likely bring their normal meta to the game as well and "lead through excellence" I am sure. Ranmaru is the only player here I am familiar with, and my last game with him was very active and actually one of my favorite games so far (probably because it was my cleanest win).

Despite being having played several games on the site, don't presume that my IC notes are 'talking down'. As it is, my record isn't even all that good, and it's entirely possible some of our SEs have more wins than me. I play to win but I also play to spend time and have fun, so my posts in a lot of game are more provocative than they should be. I've been lynched D1 as active town, I've failed a scum-sided cross-claim, and I've tunneled on town-sided power roles. In short, I'm really good at making mistakes, so don't presume I always know best. However, when I screw up, I usually have the good sense to recognize a misplay in retrospect, and I'll be happy to reflect on my experiences here so you don't make the mistakes I have made... as scum or town ;)

A few points about site meta:
-Pretty much every game starts with RVS. This is normal, and although I myself was also resistant to the idea, it's just the normal way to get things started anymore.

-Things tend to get heated in these games. Honestly, especially in larger games, discussions can get heated. Although this is "normal" it need no be the status quo, and I personally believe it's possible that we can get through this game without insulting each other. I'm not saying not to get emotionally invested, just to remain courteous. Part of winning this game involves building bridges with other players and not simply being "right" but also having other players want to believe that you can be.

-If you have a lot more time and this game doesn't completely satisfy your mafia fix, bear in mind that you can get in the queue for other games before this one completes. I myself was starting a mini-normal and an open game before my first newbie game completed. On the other hand, don't bite off more than you can chew, and I'd hold off a week or two before signing up for another game to get more used to the site meta.

-Some games also start with an "RQS" or "Random Question Stage" but I have had pretty mediocre results with this practice, personally, and won't be employing it in this game. RVS usually produces better discussion and transitions into a normal midgame much more smoothly; but RQS or supporting it is not scummy in and of itself.

Also, some quick terminology:
"RVS" = Random Vote Stage, the opening of the game where people vote for whoever they feel like.

"L-1/L-2" = "Will be lynched in one or two votes." For instance, Ranmaru is currently at "L-2" which means he could be lynched with two more votes, since the vote requirement for a lynch is five votes. [This is an example to explain the term, not a suggestion, by the way.] Some people find "L-2" and "L-1" votes to be very suspicious.

As it is, I see a lot of the new players are already picking up almost everything they need to know just naturally, so there should not be too many posts this game where I feel compelled to put on my "IC" hat.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to playing with all of you :)

While typing this up I was ninja'd by like two posts at least, I will respond to that shortly.
vote conspiracy
Epsilon_Andrew
Epsilon_Andrew
Goon
Epsilon_Andrew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Post by Epsilon_Andrew »

Ok, I put a comment and for some reason it didn't go through. Anyway, I just want to see why during RVS Lord chose to vote for someone who already had a vote against them. Right after my comment, Xeras voted for Ranmaru. Did you just do this to make a point? I've just been trying to get the discussion going by asking questions like you guys have said.
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Post by Krazy »

Xeras wrote:Ah Krazy, the IC has shown up.

Well, personally, I find it easier to win as mafia, but I prefer playing town. My "greatest accomplishment" was finding the cult recruiter and getting a wagon on him at cult-lylo in a World of Warcraft themed mafia game. Successfully finding the scum is way more gratifying to me. Unfortunately that game ended up being a draw due to a town-sided player accidentally posting the link to his mason chat thread. :/

The hardest thing for me to do is build bridges, when town, with other town-sided players, and it's something I'm hoping to work on this game. The trick is that "coming off on the same team" can often make other town-sided players second-guess themselves. One of my weaker moments was slightly derailing a wagon on scum in an open game simply because the wagon on him seemed too unified and solid and I felt for sure there must be scum on the wagon somehow. As it was, I was wrong, all the scum pretty much just started lurking or replaced out when the wagon on that player solidified.

Ranmaru wrote:I have thought of voting you as an RVS, but I thought it would be better to use it on someone new to get a read on them.

My name actually comes from the Wall Flower Manga. : P The name there was based on the original Ranmaru I think. : D

Ah, now I know! For reference, my name is not supposed to simply be a cute spelling of "Crazy" but is actually a reference to a comic character by George Herriman named Krazy Kat.

I actually find voting people I know gives me a better sense of them, sometimes, since I can gauge their reaction to previous experience. When you vote someone totally randomly, it can be harder to tell what sort of reaction it is.
vote conspiracy
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Post by Krazy »

Vote Xeras

This is for putting a player at L-2 and not acknowledging that the player is at L-2.
vote conspiracy
Xeras
Xeras
Goon
Xeras
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Post by Xeras »

Epsilon_Andrew wrote:Ok, I put a comment and for some reason it didn't go through. Anyway, I just want to see why during RVS Lord chose to vote for someone who already had a vote against them. Right after my comment, Xeras voted for Ranmaru. Did you just do this to make a point? I've just been trying to get the discussion going by asking questions like you guys have said.

To be honest, I was fishing. Though, I have not got any reactions I was expecting, but it is also true that some people haven't posted at all. (I am not complaining, the game just started earlier today)

@Krazy, It would make me quite mad to end with a draw over a careless mistake. -_-

// Is it normal to mention that a person is at L-2, L-1 or hammered when voting?
Town 5-2
Mafia 2-0
Overall 7-2
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Post by Krazy »

Xeras wrote:
// Is it normal to mention that a person is at L-2, L-1 or hammered when voting?

Yes, and if it wasn't, it should be. Speaking as a player who has accidentally badhammered without a claim, things like "L-2" and "L-1" really help for the players who might not have much time or have forgotten the vote count or are too busy looking for scumtells to pay enough attention to the game-state. Especially in a newbie game where there's the marginal risk players will sheep a vote in their first post without realizing it could be a hammer.

That's the sort of thing that in a more active/busy game could be a scumslip, and since I haven't placed an RVS vote either this is where my vote will stay for the moment.
vote conspiracy
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Xeras wrote:Hmm... Ran, it looks like we have more in common than I previously thought.

Also, I can say you definitely are a peacock. At this point, I am going to say Epsilon is slightly doggish. I want to see how that one progresses.

Can you elaborate on this? What exact traits do peacocks have? What do we have in common? :P

Explain your Epsilon doggish desicription.

Krazy wrote:
Xeras wrote:Ah Krazy, the IC has shown up.

Well, personally, I find it easier to win as mafia, but I prefer playing town. My "greatest accomplishment" was finding the cult recruiter and getting a wagon on him at cult-lylo in a World of Warcraft themed mafia game. Successfully finding the scum is way more gratifying to me. Unfortunately that game ended up being a draw due to a town-sided player accidentally posting the link to his mason chat thread. :/

The hardest thing for me to do is build bridges, when town, with other town-sided players, and it's something I'm hoping to work on this game. The trick is that "coming off on the same team" can often make other town-sided players second-guess themselves. One of my weaker moments was slightly derailing a wagon on scum in an open game simply because the wagon on him seemed too unified and solid and I felt for sure there must be scum on the wagon somehow. As it was, I was wrong, all the scum pretty much just started lurking or replaced out when the wagon on that player solidified.

Ranmaru wrote:I have thought of voting you as an RVS, but I thought it would be better to use it on someone new to get a read on them.

Ah, now I know! For reference, my name is not supposed to simply be a cute spelling of "Crazy" but is actually a reference to a comic character by George Herriman named Krazy Kat.

I actually find voting people I know gives me a better sense of them, sometimes, since I can gauge their reaction to previous experience. When you vote someone totally randomly, it can be harder to tell what sort of reaction it is.

About the building bridges thing. I have tried it and will always try it because I feel it is a tool that can help the town. It can destroy scum and make them cower in fear. I would only do so with someone I believe is town and has been looking at the same things as I have most likely. I always would keep an eye on that person because I wouldn't want to let him slip away if he was scum trying to ally with me. Basically, buddying/building bridges is null and people should be careful who they build with. : D

Haha I have never heard of Krazy Kat. : p

Ah I see. Usually since I most likely have played with that person before, I'd be looking at what new things they'd bring to the table THIS game as opposed to the last game.

I feel it works for me. : D I always try to pick a new person at random and hope for a reaction that can be helpful to starting discussion and for me to get a read.

Epsilon_Andrew wrote:Ok, I put a comment and for some reason it didn't go through. Anyway, I just want to see why during RVS Lord
chose to vote for someone who already had a vote against them
. Right after my comment, Xeras voted for Ranmaru. Did you just do this to make a point? I've just been trying to get the discussion going by asking questions like you guys have said.

The underlined. Sometimes people choose to vote someone randomly without noticing a previous vote on that person. Since it's RVS, it's not really scummy to see a person plop another vote on the same person. I am interested on how Lord follows up.
Xeras
Xeras
Goon
Xeras
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:29 pm

Post by Xeras »

I actually would say that not posting L-2 would be more of a 'townslip'.

The few times I have played as scum, I would not let that type of thing slip if I was scum. I am quite precise with what I post. Even if it doesn't seem like it most of the time.
Town 5-2
Mafia 2-0
Overall 7-2
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Post by Krazy »

*quickly slips IC back on*

A few more quick things just for game start before I forget:

All the links in the first place of the newbie game queue thread are pretty good, but the one they undersell is this one: http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page The wiki will quickly lead you to most of what you will need to know about power roles in any game.

Also, a few more abbreviations:
VT = Vanilla town; someone claiming "VT" should be presumed this unless you are in a game with a "Voteless townie" or something.
PR = Power Role, usually.

These might be obvious but just making sure!

*IC hat back off*
vote conspiracy
Xeras
Xeras
Goon
Xeras
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:33 pm

Post by Xeras »

Ranmaru wrote:
Xeras wrote:Hmm... Ran, it looks like we have more in common than I previously thought.

Can you elaborate on this? What exact traits do peacocks have? What do we have in common? :P

Explain your Epsilon doggish desicription.

Taken from Mewithoutyou's song "A Glass Can Only Spill What it Contains"

a cat came drifting onto my porch from the outside cold
and with eyes closed, drinking warm milk from my bowl,
thought:

"nobody hears me!(nobody hears me)
as I crept in so soft!
and nobody sees me!(nobody sees me)
as I watched six steps off."

like the peacocks wandering the walkways of the zoo
who have twice the autonomy the giraffes and the tigers do,
saying:

"no one can stop me,(no one can stop me)
no one clips my claws!
now everyone watch me(everyone watch me)
scale these outside walls!"

To me, a peacock is someone that likes to divert the attention onto themselves. A cat would be someone who tries to hide and lurk.
I did through out a dog, but it is just because Epsilon seems to have a 'loyal' trait to him. Though, I want to see how far that goes.
Town 5-2
Mafia 2-0
Overall 7-2
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Hehe, that is interesting. I like that poem. : D

Yeah, you are right, that is me. I'm not shy. :cool:

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.
racerman13
racerman13
Goon
racerman13
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Post by racerman13 »

Xeras, I would have killed the IC.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:59 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Hi Racerman. Can you tell me your thoughts on the recent posts on this page and the last page?
Xeras
Xeras
Goon
Xeras
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Post by Xeras »

racerman13 wrote:Xeras, I would have killed the IC.

Wow. I really wasn't expecting you to answer me. xD

Once you answered, I will as well. I would have killed Off the Mark if I were mafia.
Town 5-2
Mafia 2-0
Overall 7-2
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Xeras. Do you think that question helped you gain an alignment read on Racerman?
Xeras
Xeras
Goon
Xeras
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Post by Xeras »

Absolutely none. Other than it may have been a good choice for him, seeing as I'd likely be looking for newbscum.
Town 5-2
Mafia 2-0
Overall 7-2
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:11 pm

Post by Krazy »

*IC hat slips on*

Avatars are cool. Signatures are optional, but avatars are good. I would encourage anyone who doesn't have an avatar to get one.

*IC hat slips off*
vote conspiracy
Epsilon_Andrew
Epsilon_Andrew
Goon
Epsilon_Andrew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:32 pm

Post by Epsilon_Andrew »

ok, I don't know whats going on, but this is the second comment I tried to put that hasn't gone through. I understand that Lord may not have seen the earlier vote, but I still wish to hear his say on it.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”