Policy Discussion: Banning Players

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:25 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

I take the view that a person running a game has a discretion as to who he will allow in, for a number of reasons. It takes a lot of work to write a good set-up and a mod is entitled to take steps to avoid that work being ruined by any one individual. Likewise, replacing players is a stressful and time-consuming activity and a mod is entitled to take preventitve action to reduce the chances of this happening. And I think it is a bad idea in general to force mods to accept players that they don't want in their games. It is a recipe for strife and disaster.

1. Do you feel experience requirements are acceptable in Large (Theme/Normal) games?

Yes, at the discretion of the individual mod.

2. If so, do you think they would be appropriate for other types of games, such as Mini Theme games?

I would suggest the following rule (which I think is a codification of current practice): The general rule is that there are no entry requirements for Mini games. Any mod wanting to impose an entry requirement in a Mini game has to convince MeMe that there is a good reason for such requirement.

3. Should Mods be allowed to ban specific players from their games?

Yes.

4. If so, what reasons are acceptable for doing so?

I wouldn't want a closed list of reasons. Good reasons would include someone whom the mod has had to replace before, or who has caused trouble in a game before.
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #8 (isolation #1) » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:47 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

MrBuddyLee wrote:
5. How should inactivity to the point of replacement be discouraged across multiple games?

By requiring replaced players to replace into and partcipate in a running game in need before they're able to sign up for another new game. This site would benefit from the concept of "replace-debt".
Genius. No excuses - if you've been replaced you have to replace somone else.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #38 (isolation #2) » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:27 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Adele wrote:I guess what I'm saying is, why are invitationals by permission only?
I think this discussion has moved over into the subject area of Policy Discussion: Invitationals. Although I accept there is an overlap.

I always understood that there was a difference between:

. An Invitational -- which operates outside the List system, and requires permission

. A game within the List system, which the Mod notifies to some people before general sign-ups open -- which I always assumed was permissible -- it certainly happens a lot and there has been no attempt by authority to ban it.

I understood that this thread was talking about, amongst other things, Type 1 and that Policy Discussion: Invitationals is the place to discuss Type 2.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”