Android: Netrunner: The Living Card Game

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:02 am

Post by mykonian »

I thought that was a decent matchup from the start? NBN is the company most capable of rushing agenda's, while as I read your post shapers have to set up for some time. Link strenght isn't all, right?
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:07 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Oh yeah. It's just that I made a little kit that makes the install go a little quicker. I can't just link it in the thread for weird reasons, but I think it's pretty useful even if you know what you're doing. :D

Myko: Yeah, link strength isn't all. I'm talking about my deck specifically. It's sort of a tag focused and fast-advance hybrid. I'm running 3x Big Brother, Pyschographics, SEA Source, Closed Accounts. The tag elements really give it bite - highlights include SEA source into trashing a just-played Liberated Account - but I'm relying on just the fast advance elements for anti-shaper. And they're kind of there - San San, Astroscript, Red Herrings, and the aforementioned Pyschographics - but I'm not sure if they're enough. I'm not finding very many shapers on OCTGN, oddly enough.

If I can meet them and the deck performs satisfactorily, I'm running it for sure. This deck is fun as shit. It's just a potential blind spot that I haven't really gotten to explore. Otherwise I might go for my backup idea of an NBN fast advance that is less on tags and more on Weyland ICE + Trick of Light.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I would say that it's arguable that NBN has the best ICE already- most NBN Ice does stuff, even if the Runner breaks all the subroutines. Though using some Wayland Ice to make a Shipment from Kaguya splash better could be a neat addition to Fast Advance.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:19 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Oh, sorry, when I say Weyland ICE I mean specifically Ice Wall and Shadow. You use them as batteries to Trick of Light fast-advance. It's a gimmick I might try if this current deck doesn't pan out.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:20 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Don't be sorry, you just gave me an idea...

And Big Brother seems far more gimmicky than good, but I haven't really experienced it.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:25 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 27, Sudo_Nym wrote:I would say that it's arguable that NBN has the best ICE already- most NBN Ice does stuff, even if the Runner breaks all the subroutines. Though using some Wayland Ice to make a Shipment from Kaguya splash better could be a neat addition to Fast Advance.

the problem nbn has mostly is that a runner could run through their ice, take a couple of things from it, and do nothing about it. Psychographics is the only reason he doesn't want multiple tags and closed accounts/ resources the only reason he doesn't want a tag. Only tollbooth and matrix analyser (somewhat) are important as ICE if you try to race NBN.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:35 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

When I first looked at Big Brother, I thought it was sorta gimmicky too. Remember it works really well with Breaking News, though.

(EDIT: Although 3x was too much. I'm testing the NBN deck tuned for all of the anti-tag shit at 2x to fit in some other toys.)

This is draft 2 of my NBN fast advance/tag punishment deck. Currently 1-0 but that was against an Anarch counting on his ability to suddenly burst without consistent icebreakers (i.e, a play style that is utterly stopped cold by fast advance.) The test will be when I find 3x Rabbit Hole shapers and Decoy/Crash Space criminals.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
NBN: Making News (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (11)
AstroScript Pilot Program (Core) x3
Breaking News (Core) x3
Restructured Datapool (What Lies Ahead) x2
Private Security Force (Core) x3

Asset: (4)
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x2
Adonis Campaign (Core) x2

ICE: (19)
Tollbooth (Core) x3
Data Raven (Core) x3
TMI (What Lies Ahead) x3
Wall of Static (Core) x3
Enigma (Core) x2
Draco (What Lies Ahead) x1
Rototurret (Core) x2
Caduceus (What Lies Ahead) x2

Operation: (11)
Closed Accounts (Core) x2
Big Brother (Trace Amount) x2
Psychographics (Core) x2
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
SEA Source (Core) x2

Upgrade: (4)
SanSan City Grid (Core) x2
Red Herrings (Core) x2

Total Agenda Points: 21

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 6
Jinteki: 0
NBN: 39
The Weyland Consortium: 4
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:10 am

Post by mykonian »

what is the choice between pad campaign and melange mining corp?
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:31 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

They're kind of different animals. Melange is just, you need it to win. Every corp deck should start by you adding 3x Hedge Fund and 2x Melange. I usually like the third Melange, as well - it's a reluctant cut here because I don't really have the ice for many remotes and my deck is trying to do so much at once. Melange is an amazing card, because if you open it and the runner doesn't get a way to break the ice in front of it, you can basicially just win.

PAD is different. It's less about the money and more about costing 4 to trash. 4 is a lot. a lot of time, people play PAD campaigns not behind ice. If the runner takes it down, hey, they lost four creds. And if not, free creds. Note that you shouldn't do this against Criminals (they'll just Bank Job it). And the Whizzard identity is basicially built around stopping this (Anarchs are the poorest and have the hardest time justifying the money to trash PAD, unless they Imp it.) But in general, it's a useful thing just because it's annoying to trash.

Basically, it's not a choice between them. You always do Melange. Then you might take PAD because it's so hard to deal with. I like it a lot as Jinteki. H-B has Adonis which is a fair bit better in my view. (This is why I have Adonis in my deck - with all of the tagging I'm doing, I'm not even using all of my influence, so I can afford the upgrade. I'm probably going to splash a bit more OOF ICE as well.)
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:34 am

Post by mykonian »

Then I have a problem. Thought about 3 corp decks and only one got melange. What am I missing?
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 am

Post by Timeater »

Argh I really wanted to play this. Oh well. :(
watch for the eggshells
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:42 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

The Netrunner creed: Credits are everything. Install early, run often.

The thing is, when you play a piece of ICE, you're really just buying an option - the option that, the next turn someone runs on the server, you can pay to have a piece of ICE there. You're not buying the ICE itself.

In the beginning of the game, the runner can be very cavalier taking "free runs" with no programs, but they can't get through ETR without breakers. This is a stupendous time to have a Melange be relatively safe. There are some counters, like Inside Job, but not many. If you can grab 14,21 credits from that Melange, you are in an infinitely better spot. It also helps later on. You have a bunch of ice-promises down, but you often can't afford to rez them all. With Melange, you can just sit there and ping Melange and rez ICE. Without it, credit gen is painfully slow, and when you rez one piece of ICE it often means that the facedown ice elsewhere is now an empty threat the runner can walk right over.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 am

Post by mykonian »

so the tempo loss of a turn is worth the 7 creds easily. I think that's my problem, that I overvalue the 3 ticks it costs to use. Ok. Back to the decks.
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Post by Timeater »

Is this worth reinstalling windows for
watch for the eggshells
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:18 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

I wrote an article about the best 3 cards in Netrunner. You should read it! :D
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:45 am

Post by mykonian »

played a couple of games with my brother now, mostly to learn it. It's great fun.

Thank you for making this thread Hito
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:42 am

Post by Nexus »

BUMP

I bought the base game for this

It's a lot of fun. I'd be interested in conversing more about it.
Trans rights are human rights.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:17 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Yeah there are some good new resources, and more importantly, installing the game is 100% easier than it used to be and I don't need to give out the starter kit any more

give me a bit and I'll make the thread shiny and new
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:31 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

The group I play magic with has acquired the base game, What Lies Ahead, Tace Amount and Humanity's Shadow. So if people do start playing this online again post your contact info in this thread because at the very least I'd be interested playing and might know some other people to recruit as well.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:42 am

Post by Nexus »

I've currently only got the base game - I didn't want to plough anymore money into the expansions until I knew that a) I could get to grips with it and b) my partner who is the main person I play with could also get to grips with it.

Seems to be fine thus far though
Trans rights are human rights.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:01 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 42, hitogoroshi wrote:Yeah there are some good new resources, and more importantly, installing the game is 100% easier than it used to be and I don't need to give out the starter kit any more

give me a bit and I'll make the thread shiny and new
Indeed, you can install netrunner from within the octgn client now, it updates stuff for you, gets the sets. You can start right away with building decks and playing people.
There might have been someone on reddit who automated the replacement of the spoiled cards with unspoiled ones from a public database.
In post 43, TheButtonmen wrote:The group I play magic with has acquired the base game, What Lies Ahead, Tace Amount and Humanity's Shadow. So if people do start playing this online again post your contact info in this thread because at the very least I'd be interested playing and might know some other people to recruit as well.
There's some kind of online league going, and although I haven't played enough to get a honest result yet (pretty sure it's not going to stay just a 1-3 record, seen the way I got beaten), hito has 12 results and is on a very respectable 20th place out of over hundred participants.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

I'm admittedly still pretty new to this but I've yet to really run into a reason why to not use my 15 influencet to ensure I have x3 Diesel & x3 Inside Job in every runner deck.

Am I missing something or is Inside Job insane and Diesel is solid in every situation?
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

At the moment Gabe's my favourite runner. I enjoy his ability to force out a wide spread of ice to cover remotes / hand / deck and graveyard and he natively gets account siphon / inside job / bank job.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 45, mykonian wrote: There's some kind of online league going, and although I haven't played enough to get a honest result yet (pretty sure it's not going to stay just a 1-3 record, seen the way I got beaten), hito has 12 results and is on a very respectable 20th place out of over hundred participants.
I was actually top of the league at one point. Sadly, this is a really ugly time in the meta for me - my NBN: TWIY* rush deck WAS really excellent, but Atman and Self-Modifying Code have completely neutered it. I'm just feverishly waiting for Opening Moves to hit OCTGN so I can run and audible into a new Corp deck, train with it, then play a bunch more league games. This is a really, REALLY bad time for blitz decks. Luckily, Jackson Howard will be insane so I can stay in NBN, just have to go back to Making News.
In post 46, TheButtonmen wrote:I'm admittedly still pretty new to this but I've yet to really run into a reason why to not use my 15 influencet to ensure I have x3 Diesel & x3 Inside Job in every runner deck.

Am I missing something or is Inside Job insane and Diesel is solid in every situation?
Inside Job is indeed insane; however, there are tools to mitigate it (ASH, Red Herrings, etc.) and Corps are aware of it. It's plenty powerful, but it's not an auto-include. As for Diesel, it depends how event-driven your deck is, and how many elements you need in place. If you need to draw a lot, having either Diesel or some sort of drawing power like Mr. Li is good; but there are many decks that assemble a quick rig and run, run, run, and there a Diesel is going to be a LOT worse than, say, Datasucker.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Personally, I'm really loving Wyldside, especially if you have the Pawn Shop to trash it when it becomes a liability. I love to draw cards.

Return to “The Arcade”