Policy Discussion: Newbie Games

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #23 (isolation #0) » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:16 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

Another way that could work is if we offer a 1:1 ratio for Newbies/IC's so that the IC's do not actually play the game. Each game would consist of 7 newbies, each with a designated IC who would function in an advisory role, the more challenged a newbie feels, the more he can ask for tips/advice/analysis from his IC. They could also bounce ideas around and go over posting and what not so an IC can comment on what a newbie is doing correctly or incorrectly and offer helpful advice in a step by step manner. Since the IC's are not actively engaged in the game and only serve as an advisory role, it'd make newbies feel more involved in the flow of the game and not feel intimidated by an IC presence, it also makes for a better teaching oppurtunity in my opinion. Each IC can have as many newbies as they think they can handle though I would suggest probably a cap somewhere.

I think this manner would have the newbies learn more about how to play mafia than the current system because it's rather difficult for an newbie to learn from an IC when the newbie does not know what the IC's role is and vice versa, the whole atmosphere of suspicion thing kind of gets in the way of a teaching oppurtunity.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #34 (isolation #1) » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:50 am

the 3:4 ratio isn't that far off from 1:1 ratio, and by having the ICs in an advisory position, you'd probably free them up to advise more games than they would otherwise be able to play.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

-Norwee
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #46 (isolation #2) » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:18 am

It's not a 33% increase in IC requirements because an IC does not have to be fully dedicated to the game, an IC does not have to read every post or come up with suspects/innocents/all that other stuff they do if they were actually playing in a game because there will be newbies who already know how to do that. The workload will vary by newbie but the maximum it could be would be how much an IC would be doing in a newbie game, I'd say there'd probably be newbies who wouldn't need much guidance at all and that would free up their ICs to double or triple up on guidance. The variability in newbie ability to play should account for the % increase in IC requirements so that overall IC req should not move that much from where it is now.

They don't have to always watch the thread, just reread what the Newbie wants help on(this will vary from newbie to newbie, again the workload can't go above what they would be having if they were in the game). There's no reason they can't "solve" the game for the newbie if they outline carefully each step in their thought process that led them to their conclusion and allow the newbie to ask them any questions on that thought process that the newbie would have, that would help a newbie learn much more imo than playing a game with a newbie because in a game, your goal as a player is in conflict with your goal as an educator.

I don't think it conflicts with that core rule because the IC advisors would be in a way part of the game, also the core rule was designed so that players don't get an edge, like it'd be unfair for Mafia 1 in game X if some player had like 7 really amazing scumhunter/debate/psychic/superhero buddies to chat with who would give him incredible ideas and stuff, the rule was designed to give each player a level playing field. By providing each player with 1 IC advisor, you are maintaining the same level playing field.
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #51 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:31 am

I think you guys are overestimating the effect an IC will have on a newbie, and I don't see how those who would not want an advisor would be affected by an advisor... it's just bouncing ideas around... not like the IC will be turning the newbie into a mini-me version of the IC...

Oh and flay, your hair looks gorgeous!
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee

Return to “Mafia Discussion”