Policy Discussion: "Normal"

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Policy Discussion: "Normal"

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:15 am

Post by mith »

This has been sort of an ongoing struggle for a while, and I think it's time to have a/another public discussion about it.

The current definition of "Normal" as applies to are Queue rules are here: MafiaWiki: Normal Game.

To start with, if you are running a game on one of the Normal lists (which includes Newbie games), and you are not following these,
you are breaking the rules
. I understand that some people disagree with the guidelines, but I think we could find someone to disagree with just about any rule we have, whether Queue rule or Game rule or Forum rule or otherwise.

I'm getting tired of checking a forum on occasion and seeing that several of the mods are ignoring these rules. I was just looking at Little Italy a moment ago, where we currently have Early Morning, Western, Anime, Futuristic, Vampire, and Ogre games. That's
two thirds
of the games currently active from the Mini Normal list. These all have themes, by any reasonable definition.

Now, a lot of you will say "But mith, it's just
flavor
, it's not
really
a theme." And I can understand where you're coming from, to a point. The themed "Mini Normal" games generally do have basic roles, just with renaming/flavor on top.

However, while we
could
make that distinction, I will restate that currently
we do not

So, two main points:

One, I'm not sure what the answer is, but the blatant disregard for the rules has got to stop. We can discuss changing the rules (as I'll get to in point two), but unless/until the rules are changed, the rules need to be enforced.

Allowing people to break this particular rule is unfair on the mods who are following it - for example, those joining the Mini Theme queue with its generally longer wait (though at the moment it's apparently shorter... so I'm baffled by mods with the appropriate experience going to the Mini Normal queue to run their theme games!). It's unfair on the mods that I've sent messages to in the past asking them to remove things from their games that break the rules. It's unfair on the players who sign up for a Normal game expecting what's in those guidelines and getting stuck with something else. And it's unfair on me and the List Mods, because we really don't want to have to police the forums for stuff like this.

Two, this is an oppotunity for discussion of this particular rule. Believe it or not, I do have reasons for these guidelines. I didn't just arbitrarily come up with them. That doesn't mean they're set in stone. I am always willing to consider changing pretty much anything on this site, so long as it is done in the right way - that is, after discussion and consideration, rather than people just choosing to ignore what they don't like.

So, a quick list of reasons, which I will expand on as needed:

a. This is a
Mafia
site. The game we play has plenty of different names, but our "flavor" is Mafia. That doesn't mean we can't have theme games; I like them as much as anyone. But what it does mean is that we have a place for Mafia-themed games, the Normal queues, as that's our mainstay.
b. This mostly applies to the Newbie queue, but even some of the bigger themed-posing-as-normal games I've seen (/played in) are confusing to the players. If a new player signs up for this Mafia thing they've been told about, and then finds himself in a game about Invisible Ninja Pirate Tigers, at best they're going to be a little confused until they separate the flavor from the actual game, and at worst they're going to be put off and leave the site.
c. This doesn't apply to open/semi-open games, but adding flavor to a closed game, even if it's just surface element over a normal role, adds something extra to the gameplay (and no, adding something to the gameplay is not always a good thing). It adds role names - generally more confirmable than generic names. It adds a level of outguessing-the-mod ("Would the mod make X a Doc?"). It adds complexity to the fake-claim-game. And all of that is fine in some games; otherwise, we wouldn't have theme games at all. But it shouldn't be in all (or even most) of our games.
d. Minor, but I feel that new players learn better in a more "standard" environment. In part, because it avoids the confusion thing in (b) but also because it gives everyone common ground for discussion. If a player's first experiences are as Townies, Mafia, Cop, Doc, it will be easier for them to discuss those roles, and they have a solid foundation for handling more complicated things in future games. I don't think that foundation would be as solid for someone whose first few roles were "Hotdog", "The Color Green", and "Jellyfish".
e. The same goes for new mods. Part of the reason we have modding requirements is so mods get an idea for how the basics work (on this site)
before
moving on to more complicated things (included non-Mafia flavor). I'm sure some completely new mods can work out the potential pitfalls from (c) and adjust accordingly, but I don't believe all of them can.

Anyway, that's a start. Discuss.
Last edited by mith on Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:53 am

Post by mith »

Raffles wrote:The way I see it, the "normal" game is a game with just very basic roles, and the "theme games" contain complex roles, like lovers, or insane cops.
Patrick wrote:The way I always split themed and normal in my mind is that themed games give everyone a role name so that every player is unique, while in normal games several players can be exactly the same (generic vanilla townie).
A pet peeve of mine in this particular discussion is people redefining the terms to suit their preferences. The question here is really not
What is a theme?
, but
What is normal? What is our standard game?
I get tired of people saying (for example) "Western Mafia isn't
really
a theme game, it's just a bit of flavor." - as I said before, any reasonable definition of "theme" will include "Western". The complexity of the game is a whole other axis.

If you think the Normal definition should be changed, by all means, say so. But don't claim that the definition is
really
something else, when it's right there in black and white.

I can only assume that some mods thought that when I set up the Normal/Theme divide, what I really meant was a Basic/Complex divide (which is silly; if I had meant that, I would've chosen more appropriate names), and since we've had some many "normal" games that were actually themed, everyone has gotten it into their heads that "theme" means something else. Explains why everyone ignores the actual rules, I guess, but that doesn't make it ok.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #8 (isolation #2) » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:10 am

Post by mith »

It's a concern because it is explicitly against the rules...

But if you mean "why should that be against the rules?", see (a) and Glork's post. That particular game is very low on the bothering-me scale, but it's a slippery slope. The line has to be drawn somewhere (unless we just get rid of the distinction entirely), and the line we have is the easiest one to use.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #15 (isolation #3) » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:46 am

Post by mith »

I think what Glork was saying was that if the Normal rule was changed from "no non-Mafia flavor" to "some non-Mafia flavor is ok as long as it's just flavor", it would just move the argument to "how much is ok?".

And that's where the "slippery slope" comes in. MeMe's suggestion back in the day is certain a valid one (in the sense of being something we could possibly have used instead of what we have now), but a bit tricky to define. Even something like "School"... the general concept might be familiar to everyone, but given that we've got scummers all over the world and "School" means something different in different places...
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #17 (isolation #4) » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:10 am

Post by mith »

I haven't received any specific complaints from new players leaving the site, no (but then, they usually disappear without a word, so it's hard to say why any of them leave). I can only speculate on a newbie reaction based on what I would think, and if my very first experience with the game was in some of our more "colorful" newbie games, I think it's very possible I wouldn't have stuck with the game.

I know I've seen some players say they were confused by flavor in role PMs before (not being able to work out what their role actually was, for example). Can't think where, off the top of my head. And from personal experience, I can refer to Mini 266 (though that falls more under (c) than (b)).

Agreed on the "mostly for the mod" thing. And on the enforcement. The enforcement is tricky, though. The List Mods (and I) do a lot of other things, and often the flavor isn't so immediately obvious as in the Little Italy games I mentioned (for example, in the Newbie games I think the number with "titles" has gone down, but some of the games that are simply titled "Newbie X" do have flavor inside). And as you pointed out a few weeks ago, once a game has started it's often more harmful to do anything about it. It's not like we're going to start closing Newbie games because the mod keeps putting flavor in.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #23 (isolation #5) » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:53 am

Post by mith »

I would suggest that that makes this the perfect time to discuss it (before the game starts). I'm sorry you've got to redo stuff, but the rules have been there for years (and, for nearly a year in that particular form).
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #48 (isolation #6) » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:02 pm

Post by mith »

Well, I hope everyone sees that there is some difficulty in splitting the lists, anyway. Everyone has a different line.

More later, I've got to get some work done.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #56 (isolation #7) » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:00 am

Post by mith »

Quick comment while I'm taking a break:
For Smalltown 2: Scrubs Mafia (I know it's in Coney Island, but that's besides the point for now), does the fact that it's based on Scrubs in any way matter? No, because all the Role PMs are in the first post.
In that case, it doesn't matter to the gameplay. It could matter to the enjoyment value. That's the whole point, isn't it? If it didn't matter
at all
, why have the themes for open games? If you're going to argue that a little flavor adds something to the entertainment value, surely you have to accept that a little flavor could just as easily take away from the entertainment value. Eddie Izzard is great, but if you didn't know who he was, would you want to play in an Eddie Izzard themed game over a Mafia themed game, all other things being equal? (Ok, that's a bad example, you'd probably research Eddie Izzard, see how cool he is, and be all for playing in an Eddie Izzard game. So replace it with something you hate.)

(Btw, I think the fact that games like Smalltown 2 exist disproves Yos's argument that we wouldn't have basic-but-flavored games if we enforce the current rules.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #57 (isolation #8) » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 am

Post by mith »

I don't think we should have these rules for Newbie games. The Newbie setup is completely open. The PMs are (or should be) listed in the first post. You could, potentially, have a Shower Curtain-Yuri Gagarin scumgroup, and it should still cause no confusion, because the setup is 100% open.
Oh yeah, I forgot one more point:

f. Some of the flavors are just plain stupid.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #61 (isolation #9) » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:58 am

Post by mith »

Ah, didn't read it closely enough. Nevermind.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #76 (isolation #10) » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:35 am

Post by mith »

I wouldn't say
never
. SK claims aren't completely unheard of... right Thok?
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #102 (isolation #11) » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:09 am

Post by mith »

Er, "Mafia related", in that context, is clearly talking about the flavor, not the nature of the game. I don't even recall putting that link there, occasionally words on the wiki get linked inappropriately.

It was picked out because it does not fit my intentions with the definition. It seems blindingly obvious to me that a game with a setting of waking someone up has a non-Mafia theme, and I'm not sure how anyone could argue that it doesn't have a theme.

If it was an honest misunderstanding of that intention, fair enough. (Though I do find it hard to believe anyone read that and came up with your particular interpretation.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #116 (isolation #12) » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:31 am

Post by mith »

I've been giving a bit of thought to reorganizing the forums again, yeah. Still thinking on it.

(I do want to avoid too many forums and too many waiting lists, though.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #154 (isolation #13) » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:38 pm

Post by mith »

Can't speak for the others, but MeMeMeet had the side games (which not only determined an additional winner, but two of them changed the lynch mechanics). And the Zombies were a bit weird.

And in Bible Verse, we generally were just given a verse, and had to work out what our role was from there.

[edit]Oh, and Mafia v. Wolves Redux wasn't put in Theme because of the Wolves. Phoebus started two games at the same time, with that one (apparently) having more complicated roles or mechanics, and the other (Mafia 63) in New York.[/edit]
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #172 (isolation #14) » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:31 am

Post by mith »

I'm still recovering from my travels... I need to get *some* work on the site done before Tally gets here, but I don't know if this will get done by then. If not, we'll probably discuss it some at Thespival.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”