cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #525 (ISO) » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:05 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Thank you delegate from Benin for submitting the resolution, and thank you for stepping down promptly, although it should be noted you have no other options!

Thank you delegate from Germany for seconding the resolution.

The Speaker's list is now open

All delegates may now ask POIs of the delegate from Germany.

Delegate from Benin, the phrase "until further notice" is redundant in all operative clauses that do not otherwise specify a timeframe. For instance, if you fire a nuclear weapon, that can only happen once. If you send investigators to a country that can only happen once. On the other hand, the removal or addition of priveleges is, for example, a "indefinetely, until altered by a later resolution" situation. To directly answer your question, "until further notice" is until another resolution directly contradicts this operative clause.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #526 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:48 am

Post by mathcam »

Point of information directed at the speaker: Is it your opinion that there are or might be two evil veto powers? If so, why?
It is indeed my opinion that there may be two evil veto powers. It is my suspicion that there are three vil randomly distributed among the 15 not countries...not, for example, that there was 1 randomly distributed amongst the 5 veto-empowered nations and 2 randomly distributed among the non-axis. Let me extend to address what I imagine is your point: My argument with the first part of this proposal is that only puts up beurocratic red tape for the town, and it serves little actual purpose. You can't stop the town from
considering
nuking anyone, so all the proposal does it make so that we have to slow down the game by making a proposal to repeal that clause of
this
proposal before preceeding. In short, is has no effect on the game other than to slow it down.
Do you realise that, with the current voting procedures, 2 pro-town veto countries can avoid the nuking of any pro-town country, but that you are removing this safety with your resolution?
The point is that no 2 pro-town veto coutnries will know for absolute certainty that any other given country is pro-town. They have exactly the same amount of information as everyone else. Thus, we are not hindering the town by removing this option. We
are
, however, hindering the ability of evil to prevent the nuking of their fellow evil nations. The effect of the good part of this resolution is to make the nuking of a nation a majority rule decision. This benefits the town greatly, as we clearly have the majority of the players in this game.

Point of information directed toward the chair
: Is the term "restricts" in clause 1 of this proposition a binding word? How can a proposal restrict what I consider? This seems awfully unenforceable.

Cam
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #527 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:20 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Delegate from Germany, restricts is binding in most operative clauses. In this case, you cannot restrict what someone considers, however, if this resolution passes the chair may rule that any future resolution which calls for the firing of a nuclear weapon against those countries protected under the aforementioned clause is contrary to this clause, and would not be considerable (the council would not be able to discuss it).

If you do not like this interpretation, I suggest someone attempt to pass an ammendment. HINT: Strike is a good word to describe the action of removing a clause from a resolution.
the silent speaker
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #528 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:21 pm

Post by the silent speaker »

This delegate reminds the Council that due to this week being Passover, he will not be able to deal with any questions with the attention they deserve; else he would already be on the Speakers' List. Please ask questions of the current speaker and get on the Speakers' List yourselves or the game will stagnate.
I think it's pretty clear that TSS's awesomeness did alter the roles each of us recieved, and thus he's obviously pro-town. -- Save The Dragons
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #529 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:43 am

Post by mathcam »

Point of Information directed Toward the Chair
:

a) Am I right in thinking that only the current speaker can propose an amendment, and
b) Would I have to get on the list again to do so?

Germany
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #530 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:44 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Delegate from Germany, you are correct that only the current speaker may propose an ammendment, and they must do so in lieu of speaking on the resolution. Thus, you would have to get back on the speaker's list to propose an ammendment. But remember you have many motions at your disposal. The rules of procedure are easily modifiable.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #531 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:29 am

Post by Talitha »

This humble delegate proposes that someone propose that we modify procedure to make it easier to propose stuff. I'd do it myself but I'm not clever enough.

-sits down quickly and hopes not to get told off-
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #532 (ISO) » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:51 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Delegate from the USA, you are... thank you.

IT should be noted that motions to modify procedures do not stay in effect for long. If you want to rewrite procedures, you may attempt a resolution. The sceruity council has a lot of power.

I encourage delegates to get on the speaker's list, because until someone is on the speaker's list, Germany has no reason to step down.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #533 (ISO) » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:17 am

Post by mathcam »

Um, I request to be put on the speaker's list. For now, I shall simply dance at the podium.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #534 (ISO) » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:47 am

Post by mathcam »

I guess I'll remove my request to be on the speaker's list, because this is probably the last time I'll check the board before Monday, so someone else get up here and propose we strike the first clause. Or tss could amend it to re-word it so that it's non-binding.

Cam
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #535 (ISO) » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:39 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Delegate from Germany, I'm interpreting that as you stepping down. We now go to the first name on the speaker's list, nobody!

I will entertain motions to close debate, motions to shelve debate, and alternatively encourage delegates to get on the speaker's list, at which point they may speak immediately.
the silent speaker
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #536 (ISO) » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:59 pm

Post by the silent speaker »

Benin will ask to be put on the Speakers' List so as not to leave it vacant, but will still not have opportunity to actually utilize the speaker role until Tuesday night or possibly Wednesday. If anyone else wishes to speak between now and then, Benin automatically lets them "cut in line".
I think it's pretty clear that TSS's awesomeness did alter the roles each of us recieved, and thus he's obviously pro-town. -- Save The Dragons
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #537 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:01 am

Post by Dasquian »

The delegate from France assumes that it is appropriate for him to stand as speaker at this time and propose the following amendment:

Strikes
the first action of the resolution under discussion, which restricts the flexibility of the council without providing any benefits in return;
Renumbers
the second action of the resolution under discussion, which removes veto power in specific situations, such that it is now the first (and only) action.

The delegate from France steps down (as, he is sure the chair will remind him, is his only option ;)).
[size=84]QUACK[/size]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #538 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:47 am

Post by mathcam »

I will speak in favor of the amendment.

I have said much of this before, but my opinion is that clause 1 is a hindrance to the town and nothing more. It restricts the town's abilities to even
consider
the possibility that there are two scum in the veto-empowered nations...and even in this task, it fails. The town may simply override this clause with an proposal to strike that clause. Why waste all the player's time with such a lengthy formailty on an already over-extended day 1?

- Germany
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #539 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:16 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Thank you delegate from Benin. Although unusual, your speaker's list actions are in order at this point.

Thank you delegate from France for proposing the ammendment. Bonus points for following procedure to the letter.

Thank you delegate from Germany for speaking in favour of the ammendment.

We may hear up to two delegates opposed to the ammendment. Also, delegates may immediately begin voting on the ammendment.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #540 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:28 am

Post by PolarBoy »

The United Kingdom
Votes in favor
of the ammendment.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #541 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:25 am

Post by Dasquian »

France
votes in favour
of the ammendment, in case this wasn't automatic.
[size=84]QUACK[/size]
Flying Dutchman
Flying Dutchman
I never think
Flying Dutchman
I never think
I never think

Post Post #542 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:03 am

Post by Flying Dutchman »

China votes
in favor
of the ammendment.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #543 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:04 am

Post by massive »

The Phillipines
votes in favour
of the amendment.
"1AM .. not a good time to think I started mixing massive and mathcam" - Totem, DP8
"unvote mlaker; vote massive; It's like MeMe/mneme and Corsato/Cadmium" - Dragon Phoenix, Newbie 38
PLEASE NOTE: I actively avoid being online on weekends! Don't replace me just because of this!
shadyforce
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E

Post Post #544 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:09 pm

Post by shadyforce »

Chile votes
in favour
of the amendment.
[size=75][color=darkblue]I'm never wrong... well I was wrong once but that was when I thought I'd made a mistake but hadn't.[/color][/size]
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #545 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:27 pm

Post by Talitha »

In favour.
Fishbulb
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #546 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:43 pm

Post by Fishbulb »

Russia votes
in favor
of the ammendment.
[url=http://fishbulb515.blogspot.com/][b]Fishblog![/b][/url]
ZONEACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE

Post Post #547 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:02 pm

Post by ZONEACE »

romania votes
in favor
Late twenties, early Thursdays
Thoth
Thoth
Not the spot
Thoth
Not the spot
Not the spot

Post Post #548 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:24 pm

Post by Thoth »

Spain votes
In favour
Leonidas
Leonidas
Mafia Scum
Leonidas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #549 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:27 pm

Post by Leonidas »

Algeria votes
in favour
[i]"Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." [/i]

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”