Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:11 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Battle Mage [emphasis added] wrote:
You wont be surprised when i tell you that i rarely have opportunity to defend myself using an argument as strong as here
, but truly i feel that the choice SHOULD be obvious for townies. Even if you think i COULD, or even PROBABLY AM scum, you can always kill me tomorrow. However, the only reason you could have for lynching me is if you were MORE CERTAIN of me being scum than VD. If that is the case, fair enough, but in some cases people are voting for me just because.
This was exactly what I meant when I said this:
Mr Stoofer wrote:I have no doubt that he thought he would have no difficulty winning the vote in the circumstances. I could easily imagine that Battle Mage's tiny brain might think that he could make himself look pro-Town by killing a Scum bag.
Now that Battle Mage has said this expressly, I think it a real possibility that this was a Scum gambit to get an easy "win" in a head to head.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:12 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

to be fair Stoofer, there is no need to be patronising. i'd have thought someone with your mafia record would be more careful before bandying insults around. :x
you can choose to lose this game for the town aswell if you want, but do me a favour and keep your bitching for elsewhere.
i wont even bother to reiterate the hypocrisy of your comments. suffice to say i will be laughing my arse off when you add another defeat to your already sparkling record. :lol:

Mr Stoofer wrote:"Disengenuous" is a concept that your little mind will never be able to cope with.

"Manny being Manny" is a line from Black Books. It just means that you are always stupid and always do stupid things.

I am so annoyed with you I could cry.
Battle Mage wrote:@Stoof-you can disagree with my actions all you want. The fact that nobody else thought VD was the play, doesnt mean that he wasn't. Much as Mafia is a team game, there are great benefits to thinking for yourself. I agree that it might have been better to let VD live, IF we could guarantee hitting a Conservative today. And we just cant do that.
So, rather than following a hair-brained scheme which i didnt agree with, i decided to do what in my mind, is the best option. Kill the confirmed scum first. You might consider my action detrimental to the town, but i think you'll be singing a different tune if he comes up Conservative.
And to be honest, if you are considering killing me today, you really have no grounds to criticise me for action detrimental to the town.

Ever heard the saying 'two wrongs don't make a right'.
think about it. :wink:
I have thought about it. And I concluded that you are an idiot. Especially after you agreed that it might have been better to let VD live. Lots of people explained whu "Kill the confirmed scum first" was
NOT
the best play. But you went ahead anyway. That makes you either Scum or a Townie who so stupid that you are more dangerous to the Town than the scum.

This is not a case of two wrongs don't make a right. Regardless of VanDamien's alignment, it was very very very very very very very very wrong of you to challenge him. It was wrong because unilateral action hurts the Town. And it was wrong because the consensus was that VD was not today's play. So the right thing to do is punish you for it to make sure that no-one else does the same thing.

In addition to the two reasons given by me in post 315 above:

Thirdly
: Battle Mage is a complete idiot, who is bound to distract and hurt the Town regardless of his alignment, and the sooner he is dead the better. Further, as long as he is in the game I can't concentrate due to fury.
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by The Fonz »

Battle Mage wrote: you can choose to lose this game for the town aswell if you want, but do me a favour and keep your bitching for elsewhere.
i wont even bother to reiterate the hypocrisy of your comments. suffice to say i will be laughing my arse off when you add another defeat to your already sparkling record. :lol:
Ah, now you see,
here
we have something that I think constitutes decent evidence of BM's scumminess. This sounds an awful lot like BM
knows
Stoofer is town.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:16 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

The Fonz wrote:
Battle Mage wrote: you can choose to lose this game for the town aswell if you want, but do me a favour and keep your bitching for elsewhere.
Ah, now you see,
here
we have something that I think constitutes decent evidence of BM's scumminess. This sounds an awful lot like BM
knows
Stoofer is town.
no lol. however i do genuinely feel that Stoofer probably is town. Many of his comments throughout the game prior to my replacing in, reflected my thoughts remarkably.

that newbie game was
newbie 336
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:18 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Excellent catch, The Fonz. Both posts #316 and #326 from Battle Mage are written from a POV in which I am certainly Town.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:20 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Battle Mage wrote:Many of his comments throughout the game prior to my replacing in, reflected my thoughts remarkably.
Well that is simply untrue. My main argument on Day 1 was that the Town should not act unilaterally. If you genuinely agreed with that you wouldn't have challenged VanDamien.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:20 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

lol way to use Political Spin guys... :roll:
Show

Nightkilled - 10

The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Post by The Fonz »

Not buying it, I'm afraid.

Vote: VanDamien

I think the best play for tomorrow, is not to put VD up again- if he genuinely desires a town win, he'll fail to vote and get modkilled. If he doesn't go along, then we lynch him the day after.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:31 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

im getting more convinced with every post that VD is Conservative scum. Unfortunately with his buddies protecting him, it will probably be too late by the time he actually gets killed.
well, good luck town.
If nothing else, i feel i ought to have won the debate between me and VD. :p
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:34 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Battle Mage wrote:m getting more convinced with every post that VD is Conservative scum. Unfortunately with his buddies protecting him, it will probably be too late by the time he actually gets killed.
Which buddies?
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:34 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

i genuinely dont know. it'll be your job to work that out tomorrow i guess.
Show

Nightkilled - 10

mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:35 am

Post by mneme »

The Fonz wrote:You accused him of not reading. He said you were patronising. I can't see how the former is any more Adhom than the latter.
Er...

It's important to remember that ad hominem isn't identical to "throwing insults around."

It's a logical fallacy where rather than responding to someone's arguments, you attack them, personally -- a good (as it were) adhom on BM would be "you're using the same arguments you used in XXX" (where you were scum) or "you're just being BM, this makes no sense", or, for that matter, a spelling or whatnot complaint that attacked him (and his posting style) but didn't actually address his points.

My point -- that his statement was contrary to the facts of what actually -happened- on day 1 -- was self evident (do you disagree? Does anyone?). That I also questioned whether he'd read reading day 1 was a side insult (if, I think, a deserved one) but not my main point. By contrast, his response was a -classic- ad hominem, amounting to "your points are wrong because you're patronizing me." It doesn't matter whether I patronize you; it matters whether your arguments are sound, and whether mine are. My arguments are not made less sound because they're written in a patronizing tone, or in crayon, or spelled like I'm on a three-day bender (or just typing like Sparks :).

But your arguments -are- less sound (and by "your" I mean "BM's" in this case) if they're not only not backed up by textual evidence, but also clearly contrary to the facts.

I.O.W., my attack on BM was perfunctory because what he was saying was obviously untrue. I didn't attack him to attack his arguments, I just threw out a statement of frustration and let them disprove themselves; they weren't worthy of serious rebuttal. His response consisted of an ad hominem attack, which aside from the logical fallacy, also didn't even attempt to validate his statements.

(oh, and not as an adhom, but just to make Firefox's spellchecker happy -- it's patronizing, with a z, not an s. Good for scrabble, I guess :)
Did I say too much?
mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:40 am

Post by mneme »

BM: are you just throwing out insults, or are you simply surprised that by and large, people are doing what they said they would?

I mean, when you come into a game where the majority of us have said "I'll vote against anyone who challenges unilaterally" and challenge unilaterally, what do you expect? People to behave scumilly, dishonestly, and against their previous stated intentions? Why devolve to "they must be scum" as an excuse when the publicly and previously stated reasons suffice?

If you're town, you're doing the best impression of scum I've ever seen.

I don't, btw, think it makes much sense to request that VD suicide. Given that there are no nights, there are no advantages to that over simply voting him on the appropriate day -- and IMO, it's something of an abuse of the rules to do so.
Did I say too much?
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:43 am

Post by The Fonz »

Yes and no. Whilst insults are not the only thing covered by AdHom, they are nonetheless adhom. It seems to me what you're sayin now is your problem is not with him saying you were patronising, since after all this was true, but failing to provide any textual support for the
non
-adhom part of that post, that being 'Your own comments are so dubious.' Hence, I find you slightly hypocritical.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:46 am

Post by Battle Mage »

mneme wrote: If you're town, you're doing the best impression of scum I've ever seen.
you might wanna think about joining a 2nd game, once this one is completed. :lol:

im not arguing semantics over what i have said. ive told you what you OUGHT to do. Its out of my hands whether you do so or not.
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:16 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Battle Mage wrote:lol gotta love that. lynching a townie is bound to help the town more than lynching a scumbag. :roll:
what the hell was i thinking... :lol:
Right, because if you call yourself a townie, we'll all believe you. :roll:
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:17 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Is that all you have to say on recent events, Yosarian2?
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:23 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Mr Stoofer wrote:Also, I am suspicious of Yosarian2 for not supporting Battle Mage's death. I would have thought that he would be as keen as anyone to deter unilateral action.
I never said I wasn't in favor of Battle Mage's death. I said I would be in favor of Battle Mage's death if someone could make a good case showing he's scum. I really don't like the way you've been arguing, Mr Stoofer; you never lynch someone because of "policy", you lynch them if you think they're scum. Period. Anything else is usually an excuse.

And I also don't like the way you're suddenly trying to say that I'M suspicious for not wanting to do "policy lynches". Saying someone is "suspicious" just because you disagree with their stratagy is bad mojo.
mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:32 am

Post by mneme »

The Fonz wrote:Yes and no. Whilst insults are not the only thing covered by AdHom, they are nonetheless adhom.
I don't agree that insults are necessarily adhom, and do not use the term that way.

This is a definitional question and probably best left there, but suffice it to say that I use a narrow definition of ad hominem that doesn't include insults which aren't a replacement for argument. (I think of AH as the inverse fallacy to argument-by-authority -- and both of them as substantially identical).
Did I say too much?
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:37 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

you never lynch someone because of "policy", you lynch them if you think they're scum.
Well, I fundamentally disagree with this.

All the sensible players in this game (including no doubt some of the Scum who knew better than to argue) agreed with some version of the nomination system -- for good reasons which we all know.

IMHO the Town has to enforce the use of that system. Otherwise the sort of Townies who lost M.A.D/Bad Idea for the Town would simply act as they would anyway. I guess its a question of how worried you are about this, but I think we have enough lynches to be able to afford policy lynches. Indeed, I think we can't afford
not
to policy lynch -- otherwise the system breaks down and we know where that always leads...

The reason I expressed surprise was because I got the impression that you, as the Mod of M.A.D., would be vehemently in favour enforcing the nominations system. I was surprised that you weren't and I guess I was just speculating as to what your motives are. As I have said, I am genuinely surprised that you do not share my views on this.

As it happens, this may well be moot, since I think there are good grounds for thinking that Battle Mage is indeed scum. What do you think about that?
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:52 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Stoofer: It's not so much that I don't agree with the nomination plan, as I just don't think an attempt to enforce it strictly even if it causes us to make bad lynches will be profitable or useful. Like I said early in the game:

Yosarian2 wrote:BTW, that was in response to Stoofer's first post. Stoofer Plan 2.0 is better, although in the past such things haven't worked out so well; in these kinds of games (like Bad Idea mafia and such) usually someone just ends up ignoring the votes and going off on their own anyway. Noneteless, I do support the idea of "nominating" the challanger (or perhaps both the challanger and the challangee) and keeping track of votes and all that, so as to gain information. All we've got to go on this game is day information anyway, so we might as well generate as much as we possibly can.
I like the nominations idea, I think it's helpfull, and the fact BM ignored it is a small black mark against him, but I never really expected it to work perfectly without some people "going off the reservation" when they thought it was a good idea. I've just never seen something like that work in this kind of game; no matter if it's a bad idea mafia or a kingmaker game, someone always just ignores the vote-count and does what they want anyway. And what's more, it's quite often a pro-town person doing it (note in Mad Mafia, for example, everyone who launched an ICBM, real or fake, was pro-town).

Besides, we are now in the situation of "BM vs. VanDamien", and I think the best way to get the most information out of this current debate is to have everyone vote to save whoever they think is least likely to be
conservative
scum. That's how we get the most information. For example, if it later turns out VanDamien is conservative scum pulling a gambit and BattleMage is not conservative scum, I don't want to give the other members of the conservative scum group the easy excuse of "Oh, we just voted to keep VanDaminen alive because we wanted to do a policy lynch". Policy lynches just give the town less information, and it's often an excuse for scum to do what they want without getting in trouble for it.

Now, if you think BM is more likely to be conservative scum then VanDamien, then you should vote to keep VanDamnien alive because of that, not because of "policy".
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:57 am

Post by The Fonz »

I actually think even if VanDamien is conservative scum, if we enforce the 'getting him modkilled' plan, he can't win. If he doesn't go along, he gets lynched. I'd agree with Yos that policy-lynching tends to be a bad idea, but I think we have enough reason to think he's actually scum here.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:01 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

I'm not sure why we'd rather get him modkilled rather then have someone challange him, Fonz; seems like we'd always get more info from a challange, and it's not like we have to worry about nightkills or anything.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:10 am

Post by The Fonz »

Well, it's a couple of things:

Next time VD is in a challenge, we either have to lynch him, or commit to keeping him alive for a period which is likely to be until we're close to, or at, endgame. If he were to challenge, I don't want him up against anyone remotely scummy, as we'd basically
have
to lynch him there, and I don't want to waste an opportunity to get someone scummy in a real challenge just to kill someone we could get to commit hara-kiri.

If he's facing an ultimatum of 'get modkilled tomorrow or lynched the day after,' where that threat is credible, he can't win. It ensures that, if he is a con trying a gambit, it definitely won't work.

That leaves us free to spend tomorrow on a genuine challenge.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:17 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

@Yosarian2: I guess the difference between us is whether it is
possible
to enforce a system such as the nominations system; I suppose I am just more optimistic than you. I agree that it is Townies that are more likely to go off piste than Scum; but if we make it clear that going against the system=death, then the Townies should behave.

Of course, Battle Mage is such a player that the mere fact that he went off piste tells us nothing about his alignment.

However, there have been a number of positive points raised as to why Battle Mage might be scum. What do you think of those points? (This is the third time I have attempted to ask you that.)

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”