Mini 436 - Game over - Mafia wins with no casualties!

Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #675 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:27 pm

Post by Lawrencelot »

Sweenytodd will replace TopHat! Thank you!

Prodding Trustgossip.

Now that there are replacements, I will set a deadline. I will give you guys time until next Saturday, so the replacements can read the thread first. The deadline can be extended when there is a good discussion going on, or someone claimed, etc.

Votecount:
Miztef 3 (VanDamien, DeathSauce, ryan)
DeathSauce 3 (Miztef, Paradoxombie, vollkan)

Not voting 3: TopHat, Trustgossip, StallingChamp

With 9 alive it takes 5 votes to lynch.
Leaving mafiascum temporarily or not due to circumstances
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #676 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:11 am

Post by ryan »

Excellent. Two new replacements to shed some light on what we've been talking about. Glad to have you both aboard.
[i]Please remove your head from your ass before you vote.[/i]
DeathSauce
DeathSauce
Goon
DeathSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #677 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:11 am

Post by DeathSauce »

Welcome to our new players! Thanks for helping us out.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #678 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:36 am

Post by vollkan »

Welcome both of you, thanks for joining.
DeathSauce
DeathSauce
Goon
DeathSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #679 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:38 am

Post by DeathSauce »

Whoa, I completely missed your post on the last page, vollkan! I will respond, give me some time, it's a crazy day here today.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #680 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:51 am

Post by vollkan »

Okay. I thought it was very odd that you had said nothing about it. I assumed you had missed it completely.
DeathSauce
DeathSauce
Goon
DeathSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #681 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:39 am

Post by DeathSauce »

The "WIFOM-y" refers to the idea I floated about a scum Miz possibly revealing since it was the smartest thing to do.
Not really, I thought it was WIFOM-y because it's WIFOM-y, not because of an idea you floated, not sure where this comes from.
Here we have DS admitting he does not know which is more likely and admitting that the only possible evidence of scumminess (the reveal thing) is WIFOM-y at best.
That was not my entire answer to your question and you know it because you quoted the rest of it later and said
Death, you say it is the fact it had some relation to a loss in another thread and Miztef's contradictions which have made you suspicious rather than Miztef's actual actions. Even if I disagree with the former of these somewhat (the whole cause and effect debate we had), I can see your sense in the latter.
You agreed with me then and are ignoring it now.
All in all, whilst the contradictions are suspicious and I can see sense in suspecting Miz for them (as I said back in [660]), they are not very strong evidence at all.
Actually you found more contradictions than I did. Your posts 653 and 660 raise two of the contradictions I was referring to. You and Paradox keep talking about "evidence", but there is no evidence in this game unless someone just comes right out and admits they are scum. All we have are suspicious actions, and Miztef has been full of them.
This bit really grabs me:
You then say you are not "escaping suspicion" but are merely "defending yourself". Either way, I really don't like this since you are basically admitting that you have advanced the anti-Miz line to protect yoursself.
How did I admit this? My defending myself has nothing to do with my suspicion of Miztef. I expanded on that when I said
The fact is I am only looking to defend myself, something every player wants to do. If a group of players continually posted "Paradox is scummy and is showing scumtells" and never expanded on that, might you not also get frustrated and ask for some actual evidence?
(please ignore my use of the word 'evidence' there! :shock: ) That has nothing to do with my suspicion of Miztef.
If this attack on Miz is "defending yourself", then that strikes me as very suspicious indeed. The only reason you are not on L-1 any more is because of the events which have happened regarding Miz, most of which has been fuelled by you conflating a case. This looks to me like a scum taking advantage of the fact that one of the people who suspected them the most made a blatant error.
If you would have told me 4 pages ago that the people voting with me against Miztef would be VD and ryan, I would have had a good belly laugh, since I came right out and said I thought they were his scumbuddies. That was a turn of events I could never have predicted and didn't think possible. If my pointing out Miztef's slip-ups convinced them to vote for Miztef, it is mere coincidence that the same action removed their votes from my back. Can you really think that it was my intention to get ryan's and VD's votes off of me? Did there actually seem to be any hope of that when I began discussing Miztef?
Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #682 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:05 am

Post by Miztef »

Actually, Deathsauce brings up an interesting point in his latest post.

The players voting with him against me are VD and ryan, both on his scum list (or at least were). I hadn't noticed it until now, but it is possible their actions are an attempt to make sure that if either of us is lynched (which seems likely at this time) they are on the survivor's townie list. This is especially true with ryan, who continually states how he believed I was pro-town until just recently, and now believes I need to be lynched. This gives him the wiggle room needed to look innocent no matter which of us is lynched today.

Major FOS: ryan
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #683 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:15 am

Post by ryan »

LOL at Miztef. Wiggle Room? Not necessary Miztef. I did think until you pulled your trap that you were town, that was an anti town move and one that caused me to change my thinking on you and place the vote (something I've stated before) Why is it improbable that you and DeathSauce are both scum?
Paradoxombie
Paradoxombie
Mafia Scum
Paradoxombie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #684 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:29 am

Post by Paradoxombie »

answers in bold
DeathSauce wrote:Actually, I would like you to clarify post 632. It reads as a complete mishmash, and I glossed over because I was sure you would eventually come to your senses.

You asked why a protown player would use the same tactic as scum did to win in another game. An analogy would be to call a gun owner a criminal because criminals occasionally have guns. An even more accurate analogy would be to call a gun owner a criminal because they saw criminals use guns for crime.

I said that most people thought either you or Miz were scum. You haven't bothered to disagree with that, and if that's not "in peril" I don't know what is. It only solidifies my point that you've lashed out at me for even mentioning you, even though I actually said I didn't think those scum tells were valid.
We have different definitions of "peril" I guess. This is not the first time you have accused me of "lashing out" against you. I have done no such thing. I realize that it is hard to judge someones intent just reading words on a screen, but I am not lashing out at you, or upset, or angry, or any such thing. Maybe my typing style is terse or something, I will try to present a friendlier face.

Emotions are irrelevant because I wouldn't expect a townie to be any less emotional. It's not tone, but message that I've tried to respond to. If we are miscommunicating then that's too bad, because now that I've revealed my thinking there's no way to prove your true intents.

You seem to think this one action of Miztef's is not only scummy, but totally complete and 100% evidence that he is scum. Yet you've never explained your vote. You never pointed out exactly how it proves the scumminess.
There have been at least three major inconsistencies in Miztef's posts since the "trap" fiasco. Read my response to vollkan in post 654, that should help to explain my suspicion of Miztef. Read all my posts since the "trap". You are completely misrepresenting the breadth of my suspicion.

I don't consider them major inconsistencies. Even so you immediately voted Miz for the original act soon after he admitted to it. You waited a little bit, but probably so it wouldn't look like you were just making a distraction from your own wagon. I don't think that's particularly scummy, but now you are saying that the reasons your voting him are inconsistencies? I for one don't think there were any inconsistencies in his two posts between.

Then, as soon as anyone suggest otherwise you go after them, as if their opinion is totally unacceptable.
Again with the "going after". I am
arguing my point of view
. That is what players do in this game.
This is the only explanation you give.
No it isn't. I have given three reasons in the last 2 pages.

Well, you didn't give ANY explanation for your original vote. You only said "This should come as no surprise."

We've already explained that it's totally fallacy to suggest it makes a difference how it (the trap) played out in another game, in a totally different scenario too, and since you've neither retracted or affirmed this point, it makes me think you realize it's wrong but are afraid to admit it.
A "totally different scenario"? How do you know that? Because Miztef said so? I saw no link to the game. I have repeatedly said that I found that sentence "explaining" the trap to be incredibly scummy. To suggest I have neither "retracted or affimed this point" is utter hogwash.

No, you said you could not even begin to comprehend how a protown player could use the same tactic as scum did once. It's the only thing you had going against miz before the inconsistencies came up and you said yourself you were arguing your point at the time you metioned it. So I take this as your primary argument for why Miz is scum, and it's flawed. I said it was flawed; you never said it was flawed. That's all there is to it.

So we come down to your only explanation why Miztef should be condemned, is that his tactic was "highly questionable". Additionally, while you haven't come out and said it, it's obvious that your post suggests it is more reasonable for me to be scum than to disagree with your opinion.
Have you read my posts? How many times should I explain that it is NOT the trap that is my main source of suspicion?
And please, please do not put words in my mouth. I have not even
hinted
that you are scum. But let me tell you, if you continue to misrepresent my arguments and put words in my mouth, my opinion can change. And please do not bore me with an "A-HA! I knew it!"

NO, you voted Miz after he gave two posts. I disagreed that those two posts proved his scumminess. YOU were so sure I was wrong that you couldn't even comprehend my beliefs and tried to convince me on the basis that Miz used the same tactic as he saw once used by a protown player who lost them the game. YOU SAID THAT HE MIGHT AS WELL HAVE ADMITTED HE WAS SCUM from that alone. The inconsistencies you point out, which are minor miscommunications at best, only came up later

Here are the tells, for clarity:
#1. Going after obvious targets to escape suspicion
(While the "to escape suspicion" is speculation, I think it's obvious that's what DS is doing)
#2. exaggerating points extensively and intensely for use in #1
Re-read the thread. I was suspicious of Miztef long before there was any sort of threat to me. You admit Miztef is an "obvious target", therefore suspicion of an "obvious target" is suspicious?

You accuse me of "exaggerating your opinions". I see no evidence I have done so. If you want to keep your scumtells to yourself, just say so. The fact is I am only looking to defend myself, something every player wants to do. If a group of players continually posted "Paradox is scummy and is showing scumtells" and never exanded on that, might you not also get frustrated and ask for some actual evidence? Actualy, Van Damien did just that when he said this:
Paradoxombie and DeathSauce are scum
, yet you never even asked him about that!

And my accusation was infinitely weaker, too.

I think it's important in the tradition of LAL to assume that they won't, because they shouldn't need to. Townies should be able to argue effectively and fairly to avoid a lynch and make a case. In my opinion DS purposely hasn't done that.
So you insinuate that I am a liar with your "LAL" comment, nice. As to your second point, about my ability to argue effectively to avoid a lynch, perhaps you didn't notice that two players that I previously argued were scum now agree with me that Miztef is worthy of lynching? Did you notice that I was at lynch -1, and then had no votes on me other than the person whose lynch I was advocating? I think I have argued as effectively and fairly as a player can in this game.

No, I suggested that just like a liar there is no justification for trying to warp the truth, even if you were a townie.

ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #685 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:22 am

Post by ryan »

Para: You have a vote on DeathSauce, but who do you believe are his partners and why?
Paradoxombie
Paradoxombie
Mafia Scum
Paradoxombie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #686 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:32 am

Post by Paradoxombie »

I don't know, I usually only worry about partners when that's part of the evidence/proof/case. For now I think there's enough of an argument from DS alone.
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #687 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:34 am

Post by ryan »

I don't disagree that DS has done some pretty scummy things but the case I have on Miztef is he very easily could have lynched a townie with his "trap" but than admitted it to the rest of us, but what if DeathSauce is lynched and comes up town? Where do you go next?
Paradoxombie
Paradoxombie
Mafia Scum
Paradoxombie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #688 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:41 am

Post by Paradoxombie »

I honsestly don't think ahead much in mafia. I could review the thread and come up with some stuff now, but that would be alot of effort that I could just as easily do when I find out. If you just wanted it as help in figuring out if I'm scummy, I wouldn't normally object, but I've already posted alot throughout this game.
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #689 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:45 am

Post by ryan »

Para: You've done much better the last few pages but have been a little sporadic (sp?) and there has been some length in between you posts. I'm trying to get a read on you as I've been watching the Miztef/DeathSauce situation close and some of the "not as intense posters" have kinda slipped by. Our two replacements are high on my watch list right now as we haven't heard anything from them yet and their opinions on this game should be interesting (course with 28 pages they could still be reading, lol)
DeathSauce
DeathSauce
Goon
DeathSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #690 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:39 am

Post by DeathSauce »

Paradox, it is obvious that you and I do not agree on the scumminess of the statement that I quoted in post 610.
paradoxombie wrote:You asked why a protown player would use the same tactic as scum did to win in another game. An analogy would be to call a gun owner a criminal because criminals occasionally have guns. An even more accurate analogy would be to call a gun owner a criminal because they saw criminals use guns for crime.
I don't think your analogy works, let's try another one. Why would someone that loves rabbits use an herbicide that is known to kill rabbits as a side effect? In this case, rabbits are townies and the herbicide is the tactic that Miztef used.

I am going to repost post 610 because it's a major point between you and me, and also between vollkan and me for that matter.
DeathSauce wrote:
Miztef wrote: I saw someone do it in another thread (it failed there, and the scum won) but I thought I'd try it out here anyway.
Wow.
I just can't get over that sentence. It appears to me to be the slip-up scumtell of all time. I know you guys disagree, but just go over it again one more time and try to see it from another point of view.

Miztef's later explanations did not help, and we have shown, to my belief, that the trap had a bigger upside for potential scum that it did for potential town.[/quote]
Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #691 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:55 am

Post by Miztef »

@deathsauce: If a soccer player uses a great kick at goal, but the goalie just happens to be good enough to stop it, does that make it a bad kick?

That line is not a slip-up at all. This game has a much different situation. In that game, the tatic was used in an endgame definate LYLO situation. In this game I used it in a possible LYLO and with many players still left. In that game however, the player did use the tatic on the player he thought was much more scummy, to confirm that the other player wasen't scum (because the scum would have jumped at the chance and won the game). Unfortunatly the scum caught it and managed to do some final convincing for the win.
DeathSauce
DeathSauce
Goon
DeathSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #692 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:07 pm

Post by DeathSauce »

Why don't you give us a link to the game, then we can judge for ourselves how it was used.
Paradoxombie
Paradoxombie
Mafia Scum
Paradoxombie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #693 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:32 pm

Post by Paradoxombie »

Okay for the n-th time, any other game doesn't matter. If you really consider the move too risky, another game shouldn't make any difference.
Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #694 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:47 pm

Post by Miztef »

meh, I don't mind giving the game link:
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... c&&start=0

It was the first game I was ever in actually, and the only game that I was in that has finished.
ryan
ryan
Mafia Scum
ryan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #695 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:05 pm

Post by ryan »

Paradoxombie wrote:Okay for the n-th time, any other game doesn't matter.
If you really consider the move too risky, another game shouldn't make any difference
Agreed. Let's see what the newbies have to say on this as I'm interested in a perspective that maybe we are missing about this situation
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #696 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:24 pm

Post by vollkan »

Firstly, addressing DS's response to my voting post.
Not really, I thought it was WIFOM-y because it's WIFOM-y, not because of an idea you floated, not sure where this comes from.
We must be talking about two different things. I thought you said my rationale for a scum revelation of the trap was a bit WIFOM-y, in which case I agree since it was just a hypothetical which I admitted was stretching it. Hence, in my post I addressed the fact that you seem to just be accepting that one element of the case is based on WIFOM-y logic. If I have applied your comment to the wrong thing, explain what you meant.
Quote:
Here we have DS admitting he does not know which is more likely and admitting that the only possible evidence of scumminess (the reveal thing) is WIFOM-y at best.
That was not my entire answer to your question and you know it because you quoted the rest of it later and said
Quote:
Death, you say it is the fact it had some relation to a loss in another thread and Miztef's contradictions which have made you suspicious rather than Miztef's actual actions. Even if I disagree with the former of these somewhat (the whole cause and effect debate we had), I can see your sense in the latter.
You agreed with me then and are ignoring it now.
No, I have never said I agree with you. I could "see your sense". There are grounds for suspecting Miz, but you have overshot them. Contradictions are scumtells and Miz has made contradictions but they are only quite minor. The point is that there is a minimal case against Miz which lacks any substantative evidence. You rushed to vote a person who made an obvious error and it looks as though you have simply been making a case up as you go along.
Quote:
This bit really grabs me:
You then say you are not "escaping suspicion" but are merely "defending yourself". Either way, I really don't like this since you are basically admitting that you have advanced the anti-Miz line to protect yoursself.
How did I admit this? My defending myself has nothing to do with my suspicion of Miztef. I expanded on that when I said
Para accused you of going after obvious targets (Miz) to escape suspicion (you were at L -1 until this erupted). When you addressed this you said:
Re-read the thread. I was suspicious of Miztef long before there was any sort of threat to me. You admit Miztef is an "obvious target", therefore suspicion of an "obvious target" is suspicious?

You accuse me of "exaggerating your opinions". I see no evidence I have done so. If you want to keep your scumtells to yourself, just say so. The fact is I am only looking to defend myself, something every player wants to do. If a group of players continually posted "Paradox is scummy and is showing scumtells" and never exanded on that, might you not also get frustrated and ask for some actual evidence?
You clearly knew Para was referring to Miz by "obvious targets" and then conflated whether or not it was to escape suspicion by referring to people not listing each scumtell against you. Hence, you either dodged the question or you admitted to using Miz to your advantage. Either way, I don't like your response.

[quote="DeathSauce]
I just can't get over that sentence. It appears to me to be the slip-up scumtell of all time. I know you guys disagree, but just go over it again one more time and try to see it from another point of view.

Miztef's later explanations did not help, and we have shown, to my belief, that the trap had a bigger upside for potential scum that it did for potential town.
[/quote]

I addressed this with the whole "cause and effect" thing ages ago and yet you still can't seem to just accept it, maybe because this forms the foundations of the case against Miz.

I gave a brief read to the game Miz linked us to. The circumstances there are entirely different and it has no analogy here. For starters, there were only 3 players. Hence, when the scum noticed the trap and believed it to be effective, if he had hammered he would have been outed and lost (the unvote was much bigger there too I notice. ). Here, we have nine players. If someone had hammered it would by no means be conclusive and I don't think any of us would be foolish enough to act on the trap without thorough discussion.

Nonetheless, as Para said it doesn't really matter since the move's riskiness is not contingent on analogous evidence. I think the real importance here is that DS has represented Miz's statement about the other game as being a crucial scumtell when it is obvious that the analogy is not needed and, furthermore, that the analogy given is a poor one. Hence, again the case against Miz is feeble at best.
DeathSauce
DeathSauce
Goon
DeathSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #697 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:39 pm

Post by DeathSauce »

Hence, again the case against Miz is feeble at best.
This is highly surprising from someone that has used the last few pages of this thread building their own case against Miztef. Even Miztef said
I am somewhat confused as to why vollkan has not voted for me yet though, since his evidence against me seems to have mounted up quite heavily.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #698 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:23 pm

Post by vollkan »

This is highly surprising from someone that has used the last few pages of this thread building their own case against Miztef. Even Miztef said
Quote:
I am somewhat confused as to why vollkan has not voted for me yet though, since his evidence against me seems to have mounted up quite heavily.
I did try and explore DS's side of the argument in the last few pages, but I think the results of that pretty much speak for themselves.

The only "case" I managed to build on Miztef was:
1) The possibility that a scum Miz revealed to save himself later. This is by no means a vote-worthy scumtell.
2) The issue with the fact that Miz suspected you when he laid the trap. Again, this may just be a reflection of poor planning and of Miz copying a trick from another game where the circumstances meant that it didn't translate over well.
3) Agreement with Ryan that the issue had been over-discussed and that Miz was "done defending". Not major.

I pointed all of these out and raised them in argument against Miz to make sure that he was thoroughly dealt with, as was needed in the wake of his actions. The reason I didn't vote is obvious; none of them are at all significant to the point of warranting a vote.
DeathSauce
DeathSauce
Goon
DeathSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #699 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:40 pm

Post by DeathSauce »

Well I hope you can see how I find it slightly odd that you build a case against one player for a week and yet don't vote them, but your analysis of one of my posts warrants an immediate vote.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”