Flyinghawk
Flyinghawk
Goon
Flyinghawk
Goon
Goon

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:46 pm

Post by Flyinghawk »

Phate wrote:Ok, let's assume the scum are at least as smart as we are (anything else could be fatal, obv). An explanation of why you think a massclaim will/won't help town is not unreasonable. At the very least, you'll help to get other players to start thinking on their own. I'm not seeing a reason to be "tightlipped" about it. Face it; someone just suggested that townies should lie, not knowing about LAL. And as MoS will be happy to tell you, I'm too new to know what I'm doing.

I vote do it.
I'm do know about LAL, but I'm pretty positive that, whether its townie or mafia, its going to be really hard to flush out the liars until we already find out their roles (either through the cop, or the lynch), and either way, it wouldn't matter at that point.

Also, another point of LAL, with a small set up like this, then with all the Triums claiming triums, wouldn't they be leading the mafia right to who the Triums are?

as I stated before, I'll participate with the massclaim if it comes to that, but i'm still apprehensive.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

Elmo wrote:Me. Still thinking. I'm worried about the apparent lack of actually working it out, although it might be a good idea.

Should I post a full working out so far? It lets the scum know what the best moves are, but it also helps us understand what may be about to happen.

It's also possible the scum have already discussed trying to claim pre-game. If you're paranoid, you might say they're fully worked out it's bad for the town and are trying to get us to do it. So basically I want it to be watertight before we out the power roles.

SSF / MoS: You're smart, how far have you thought this through?
Didn't we start with day...how would scum have had a chance to talk to each other already? I assumed the scum had not been able to strategize yet...
Permanent V/LA.
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:21 pm

Post by spurgistan »

Mastermind of Sin wrote:
Elmo wrote:Me. Still thinking. I'm worried about the apparent lack of actually working it out, although it might be a good idea.

Should I post a full working out so far? It lets the scum know what the best moves are, but it also helps us understand what may be about to happen.

It's also possible the scum have already discussed trying to claim pre-game. If you're paranoid, you might say they're fully worked out it's bad for the town and are trying to get us to do it. So basically I want it to be watertight before we out the power roles.

Didn't we start with day...how would scum have had a chance to talk to each other already? I assumed the scum had not been able to strategize yet...
They had four days from PMs being sent out until day 1 start, during which time they could talk.
FaerieLord
FaerieLord
Mafia Scum
FaerieLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:12 am

Post by FaerieLord »

In for the mass claim.

Also, Back
(1:07:08 AM) Xdaamno: alcohol
(1:07:11 AM) Xdaamno: solves this problem
(1:07:13 AM) Xdaamno: woohoo
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:36 am

Post by Phate »

Elmo, any thoughts?
I will fuck up your name and gender. Deal with it.

PM me to replace into Infection Mafia, a semi-open Mini Theme.
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:36 am

Post by Phate »

On the massclaim, I mean. You're the only one who isn't up for it yet.

somestrangeflea
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
somestrangeflea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:09 am

Post by somestrangeflea »

Let x=the number of people who claim Triumvirate.
3<=x<=6
The number of scum in this group is x-3.

Let y=the number of people who claim Vanilla.
6<=y<=9
The number of scum in this group is y-6.

And, of course, overall, x+y=12.

Essentially, once we massclaim, we will split the town into 2 groups, within which, we will know exactly how many scum there are, at the expense of immediately letting the scum know who the Trium are.

I'm not too good with the numbers, so someone else will have to tell me if this tradeoff is good for the town or not...

IIRC, earlier, someone asked (or at least, seemed to wonder) "Why would the Mafia want to claim Townie rather than Trium?"

The Mafia will want to kill off the Triumvirate as quickly as possible in order to get rid of the power which the town has. However, if Mafia members have claimed Triumvirate, then, as more and more Triumvirate are killed, the higher and the higher the percentage of scum in that group grows.

If
any
Mafia claim Triumvirate, they will be forced to either leave one legit Trium alive, or expose themselves as a scum.

That being said, if
no
scum claim Triumvirate, Triums will become confirmed innocent, and it will take the Mafia a
minimum
of three nights to eliminate them, which, with a Doc with 1 in 3 success odds, a Cop with 1 in 2 success odds, and an RB with 1 in 6 success odds, should be quite difficult...

Again, is this a good tradeoff for the Mafia? Do we as a Town want to risk it?

The simple answer is "I don't know", but I'm pretty sure someone will...
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:28 am

Post by Phate »

I think it's good for town. The first bit is axiomatically correct, but I hadn't thought about the odds for success between powerroles. I think I know what the best claiming pattern for scum is (naturally, I won't mention it until after we claim), but I still think it's good for town. Being able to further narrow down who the scum could be is great.

Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:28 pm

Post by Miztef »

I think in any case, knowing the triumvirate will push the town through the hurdle of having to worry about the triumvirate every lynch. If the scum don't all claim trium, then we can focus all lynches on the townies first, and therefore keep our triums for at least the 3 days the scum will take to kill them.
Flyinghawk
Flyinghawk
Goon
Flyinghawk
Goon
Goon

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:25 pm

Post by Flyinghawk »

somestrangeflea wrote:Let x=the number of people who claim Triumvirate.
3<=x<=6
The number of scum in this group is x-3.

Let y=the number of people who claim Vanilla.
6<=y<=9
The number of scum in this group is y-6.

And, of course, overall, x+y=12.

Essentially, once we massclaim, we will split the town into 2 groups, within which, we will know exactly how many scum there are, at the expense of immediately letting the scum know who the Trium are.

I'm not too good with the numbers, so someone else will have to tell me if this tradeoff is good for the town or not...

IIRC, earlier, someone asked (or at least, seemed to wonder) "Why would the Mafia want to claim Townie rather than Trium?"

The Mafia will want to kill off the Triumvirate as quickly as possible in order to get rid of the power which the town has. However, if Mafia members have claimed Triumvirate, then, as more and more Triumvirate are killed, the higher and the higher the percentage of scum in that group grows.

If
any
Mafia claim Triumvirate, they will be forced to either leave one legit Trium alive, or expose themselves as a scum.

That being said, if
no
scum claim Triumvirate, Triums will become confirmed innocent, and it will take the Mafia a
minimum
of three nights to eliminate them, which, with a Doc with 1 in 3 success odds, a Cop with 1 in 2 success odds, and an RB with 1 in 6 success odds, should be quite difficult...

Again, is this a good tradeoff for the Mafia? Do we as a Town want to risk it?

The simple answer is "I don't know", but I'm pretty sure someone will...
The doc, cop, and RB odds, i think are scewed because they will dissapear after each night when the mafia NK the trium. Furthermore, if one of the mafia members get one of the triums powers (25% chance for N1 with a NL), these numbers are even more scewed. I think this game will play out much more complex than you just played out, and I think statistically it will be a bit more in the mafia's favor.
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:25 pm

Post by Phate »

*fed up* Does anyone else plainly see the problem with FlyingHawk and his objection? Because if I'm the only one, I'll stay quiet about it until/unless we claim, but if everyone else sees it I might as well explain it to him.

spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:35 pm

Post by spurgistan »

It seems that I can't explain in detail why I think massclaim is flawed without more or less telling the scum how to claim if we end up claiming, but I'll try to be vague and precise, simultaneously. I may end up giving more clues to the scum than I intend, but seeing as how I'm still holding out hope we don't, I'll face that eventuality. Anyways, the scum should be smarter than me, or else this game should be an easy win for the town.

Essentially, if we lynch day 1, we will be lynching from the vanilla pool, as we should every day, at least until we get some successful investigations/damning evidence against one of the trium-claiming scum. Night 1, the town should lose the triumvirate responsible for either the role-block, doctor, or cop powers (I consider calling these "power roles" to be misleading, as anybody can have that power, it's just that the particular triumvirate controls it's dispensation) although the player that gets the doc role has somewhere from 1/3 to 1/6 odds of protecting the targeted trium.

Therefore, day 2 we will be at either (trium-townie-scum) 2-6-2 or 3-6-2 if we lynch town-scum, or 2-5-3 or 3-5-3 in the case we lynch vanilla town. Of these, the most likely day 2 is with 2-5-3 with a missed protection and a lynch of one of the vanilla townies. Moreover, we will have lost access to a power role for the game. Furthermore, if the scum kill the doc, we face the possibility of losing the triumvirate after 3 nights. Granted, this would expose any scum who claimed triumvirate, but rendering the town blind and defenseless to the scum in their midst.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:48 am

Post by Elmo »

I'm just going to post stuff. Best move for town and best moves for scum are intertwined, there's no way we're going to figure out what it means for us without informing the scum. They're the informed minority, that's their advantage and there's no changing that. But we simply can't go into this eyes wide shut.

6 triumvirate 6 vanilla: 6 confirmed innocents
3 triumvirate 9 vanilla: 3 confirmed innocents
5 triumvirate 7 vanilla: 2 scum in triums, 1 in vanilla
4 triumvirate 8 vanilla: 1 scum in triums, 2 in vanillas

Scum aren't retarded. 6 trium claimers is close to autowin for us, as has been posted many times, so
they won't do that

9 vanilla claimers means 3 confirmed innocents, but they're also the power roles. So then we're guaranteed to lose one power role every night, modulo doc protects, which (3/4 chance of town doc role * 1/3 chance of chosing right trium to protect = 1/4 = bad odds) isn't that likely. So we've very likely (2/3 ish) lost the cop role by the dawn of day 3. That's two investigations. Not liking this.

I think the next two are more likely as they cause us problems, and I have no idea why people haven't considered that scum will claim different to each other. On the bright side, they can't kill off the power roles without increasing the chances of outing their own, but that's more than balanced out by the fact we're going to have to be very careful about who we lynch.

I think the worst case is 5 tri 7 vanilla. We can then pick from finding the 2/5 scum triumvirate claimers and look forward to losing all power roles if we're wrong, or get to weed out one scum from the seven vanillas - this does not fill my heart with joy. We don't have any confirmed innocents, the most we know is the two of the five triums are scum, which doesn't tell us much. If we mislynch vanillas (likely) 3 times, then the scum win with 3 kills (12-3-3 = 6, 3/6=50%), and we probably don't have enough time to narrow down the triumvirate group enough to get a good lynch. If we mislynch in there even once, it's vanilla, and the one vanilla scum is going to screw us in the endgame.

4 tri 6 vanilla is roughly the same, only we've got more chance of finding the vanilla scums. But it's still quite bad.

By the by, I am convinced the scum has already done something similar to the above working-out. I am also
very
interested that spurgistan says "Just seems like this set-up is just about the least conducive to a mass-claim there is" because virtually all setups nowadays are designed to be resistant to a mass-claim. Mods spend great deals of time and effort to figure out setups that won't be trivially breakable, and this is the first thing anyone'd think of. Indeed I did think of it soon as I saw the setup, and discarded it as probably a bad idea without thinking for very long. I really don't think it's coincidence that the idea has appeared. Part of the reason for not posting my thoughts for a bit was to see who was going to argue against it - spurgistan gets town points for at least being willing to think about it.

A lot depends how much you value the confirmed innocents, if it goes that way, but mostly it doesn't. Some of it is night choices and which triumvirate dies (remember, even they don't know which power they are), but most of it looks quite bad to me. Also, remember that if there's scum in the triumvirate group, we'll
have
to lynch right or lose all the power roles. My gut says a lot of the the outcomes end up with us playing vanilla and one/two scum will cruise to the endgame knowing they don't have to worry about power roles and can just play safe. I'm really not convinced this improves much on playing standard - we can just ask people who look scummy to claim, and if we get more than 3 trium claimers, we've narrowed down the scum.

I really do not like the trade. Discuss.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:53 am

Post by Elmo »

EBWOP: In the above, the word vanilla is used to mean both "vanilla townie" and "vanilla game/setup", that is, a game with no power roles. Town have a horrendous record in vanilla games. Sorry for any confusion that causes.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:13 am

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

spurgistan wrote:
Mastermind of Sin wrote:

They had four days from PMs being sent out until day 1 start, during which time they could talk.
Oh.
Permanent V/LA.
FaerieLord
FaerieLord
Mafia Scum
FaerieLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:27 am

Post by FaerieLord »

[quote="Phate]I think it's good for town. The first bit is axiomatically correct, but I hadn't thought about the odds for success between powerroles. I think I know what the best claiming pattern for scum is (naturally, I won't mention it until after we claim), but I still think it's good for town. Being able to further narrow down who the scum could be is great. [/quote]

Yeah, you'd have to think about it before you claim right?

Also, for those saying that mass claim is not good. We will know where the mafia are hiding. They don't have enough time to think out where they want to go and knowing where scum lies is helpful.

Once everyone claims, if there are more than 6 vanilla claims, we can start lynching them. If there are 6 vanilla claims, we proceed to no lynch. The scum will have a kill, while we have a doc proc, rb, cop investigation and a day full of information behind us.

Apart from that, once the mafia start deducting the power roles in this game it'll be easier to single out. Sure, one may say that they will kill vanilla to wifom us, but even in that scenario, we have 1)Half a chance to hit mafia if we take the risk of lynching a triumvate + 2)6 confirmed townies.

I cannot what could out benefit a 6 player "mason" team in this game.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:26 am

Post by Elmo »

FaerieLord wrote:I cannot what could out benefit a 6 player "mason" team in this game.
Why would we get this?

What do we do if we have 9 vanilla claimers, FaerieLord?

Shanba
Shanba
So win
Shanba
So win
So win

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:38 am

Post by Shanba »

Vote Count:
4: Phate
(Flyinghawk, MoS, Miztef, Faerielord)
3: MoS
(YuanTi, Elmo, phate)
Not voting: skitzer, Spider Jerusalem, Sir Tornado, spurgistan, somefleaorother
Last edited by Shanba on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
(10:50:24 PM) xcaykex: GODDAMNIT I DONT WANNA GET RID OF MY TENTACLE RAPE PORN

Ribbit.
FaerieLord
FaerieLord
Mafia Scum
FaerieLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:19 am

Post by FaerieLord »

@Elmo. We get 6 confirmed townies as the 6 triumvirates are townies.
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:25 am

Post by Phate »

FaerieLord, what the hell are you talking about? "The 6 triumvirates are townies" = ???

Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:30 am

Post by Elmo »

FL: Yes. I'm saying, why would all 3 mafia claim triumvirate? We're discussing the fact in plain view of the mafia that if they do this, it's very bad for them. So they're not going to do that. Do you see what I mean? We are never, ever going to get six triumvirates claimers, and we were never going to get that from the first point someone pointed out how good it was for us. Yes?

Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:56 pm

Post by Miztef »

well, don't the mafia have to guess what the other mafia will claim? Unless they planned this out beforehand, they basically have to guess which claim is the correct one...

oh... wait... they'll see other claims before theirs... hmmm... is it possible to do encrypted claims, so we each claim in an encrypted message, then give the decrypt key after everyone has posted their "claim"?
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:07 pm

Post by Phate »

Miztef - that's a good idea, but one problem - it's likely (or at least possible) scum have thought this out beforehand. Even if they haven't, it's not likely that they'll claim all the same.

Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:31 pm

Post by Miztef »

very true phate, but there is no reason not to do it, and it puts the scum at even more of a disadvantage then if we did not do it.
Phate
Phate
Mafia Scum
Phate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:37 pm

Post by Phate »

There is a reason not to do it. If they don't all claim the same way, like if 2 claim trium and 1 claim vanilla, then we're fucked. They know the identities of the triumvirate, and will kill them off 1 at a time. Meanwhile, we'll be stuck looking for the 1 scum in the pool of 7 vanilla claimers. It's better odds to just search for the 3 scum in the pool of 12 players.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”