Newbie 515-Abandoned = |

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (isolation #0) » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:13 pm

Post by jmar »

Vote Hang 'em High
because it would be funny and ironic if he actually hung.
"Nobody fucks with the Jesus."
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (isolation #1) » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:28 pm

Post by jmar »

That's why its ironic... you want everyone else to hang, yet you're going to.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (isolation #2) » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:12 am

Post by jmar »

Unvote: Hang 'em High
because it's pointless to have someone at L-2 this early.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (isolation #3) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:51 am

Post by jmar »

I haven't posted because I don't really have anything to say. I don't find JDGA's move too scummy. It's good to generate discussion I guess, but I don't want to make any rash decisions right now. It's very unlikely that something minor on the first page is going to factor into anything in the long run.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (isolation #4) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:47 pm

Post by jmar »

...yes. Were you responding to me? I don't know what to make of that post, aside from everything you just said being rather obvious (no offense).
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (isolation #5) » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by jmar »

It's a difference in playstyle I guess. I don't throw my vote around early, I'll put on a random vote and see what develops. Nobody has a case on anybody yet; it's page 2. So I just see it as pointless to start voting now besides a random to get things going. (Which seems to have been accomplished, so
unvote
. Oftentimes I find that the scum isn't the one who makes the mistake on page 1, but the people who immediately jump on that mistake and start making cases to prove they're town.

I know I'm delving into theory a bit, but here's the way I see it, using an example from this game. Hang em High votes Christ Cutpurse, to gauge his response. After getting it, he says
Hang 'em High wrote: my real reason for voting was to see how you would react, and your response was reasonable and not overly defensive.
Now, this seems well and good, but it really gives you no information. If he's scum, Chris is going to be more aware of the fact that he shouldn't sound overdefensive, yes? Then again, a newb-town (as I was in my first game) may start butting heads with the first person to call him out on something (thinking that person is scum and trying to lynch him). Or, maybe you are town and you're just a reasonable guy. Maybe you're scum and you're good at sounding reasonable because you're being careful not to be overdefensive. Essentially, we've learned nothing, because it's all a crapshoot, even more so in this game because a lot of you guys are newer players who are more prone to making mistakes. It's a form of WIFOM IMO (although I'm by no means an expert, and some players would probably debate this with me), an important theory that everyone should read up on.

So, I try to be more passive, observing other's posts. When I feel I'm at the point where I want to make a case against somebody (more to convince the rest of the town than anything else), I'll probably become annoyingly verbose, as I am here.

Whew. That took up more than time than I thought. Hope I didn't come off as overdefensive :D
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (isolation #6) » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:20 am

Post by jmar »

It's not a ridiculous thought. I hope my post hasn't discouraged everyone into remaining silent, because we'll definitely get nowhere this way. The town does need a couple people pushing and pressuring so that we can get information. If everyone remains silent, it essentially becomes a guessing game. But I'll be interested to see what Hang 'em High has to say; he seems to have disappeared.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (isolation #7) » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:21 am

Post by jmar »

errr... we'll definitely get nowhere *that* way. We're not complete mutes yet.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (isolation #8) » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:16 am

Post by jmar »

5 players have posted on this page. However, if Hang Em doesn't show up within the next RL day or two, we should prolly ask for a prod, and if it comes to it, a replacement.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (isolation #9) » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:43 am

Post by jmar »

What? Hammer him? We're on page 3! In fact, I'm very suspicious of anyone on the Hang 'em High wagon right now. There's no reason for him to be at L-1. I was interested to hear what he had to say about what he's been asked, but just because he hasn't responded doesn't make him scum. It's very likely that he just needs to be replaced/prodded.
Mod, can we prod/replace Hang 'em High?

Unvote, Vote JDGA
for suggesting we lynch somebody who's not here, on page 3, when he hasn't done anything.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #72 (isolation #10) » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:00 pm

Post by jmar »

My vote's staying. I'll admit it's a little unfair to you, because you're in a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation. If you stuck to your guns I'd still find it scummy (though I might be more inclined to chalk it up to newbishness). But it's also scummy now that you're backtracking after you were called out on it. I also don't think you can safely say at this point that Hang 'em is probably scum because he wasn't lynched. It's very possible both scum are on his wagon right now, or the 1 or 2 remaining scum know enough not to hammer because it would surely mean their lynch tomorrow. Also, your second paragraph confuses me, at first you say you got annoyed when someone tried to lynch on page 2, but then you say unlike the other game, you're stopping now that you've realized. So were you trying to lynch, or were you pushing a lynch on the person who tried to lynch?
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (isolation #11) » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:43 am

Post by jmar »

Okay.

Where is everybody?
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (isolation #12) » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:27 pm

Post by jmar »

I'd urge you to stay. There are a couple bad apples here on mafiascum, true, but most of us are pretty cordial individuals. If you're really set on it I don't mean to stop you, but one bad experience shouldn't be indicative of the entire site.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (isolation #13) » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:07 am

Post by jmar »

That is a terrible idea. He just needs a replacement.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (isolation #14) » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:03 pm

Post by jmar »

This is ridiculous. I understand the deadline is to get us talking, but with Hang 'em not here and he being everyone's top suspect, the game is not going anywhere. He needs to be replaced before we can really move further.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”