Mini 518: Underground Mafia, The Nightmare is Over!

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #975 (ISO) » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:39 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

jerubbaal wrote:I don't know if Adel's "I'm not moving" vote was just to produce a reaction, but it certainly did.
Quite simply, Adel's "gambit" is ill-advised by any measure I can think of.
  1. If she doesn't move it, then her vote can result in a town lynch, and possibly follow it with one on her tomorrow.
  2. If she does move it, she stands a good chance of being lynched herself (LAL, remember?).
  3. If she's a Cop with a Guilty, she's insane/paranoid.
  4. If she's Scum, this sort of certainty is silly for when/if I come up town.
Check out Newbie Game #415 for some truly bizarre gambiting by Adel, if you need any further evidence for why I don't think this is a scum-tell for her.
Jitsu wrote:Who are they? Jerubbaal is presumably one. Who is the other?
Oman is still another.
Retired as of October 2014.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #976 (ISO) » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:53 am

Post by Adel »

ouch, you had to bring up newbie 415. I was the doctor, forced to claim Day 1. After we voted to lynch a different player I announced that I wasn't really the doctor in the hope that I could prevent the NK N1 and give the cop two successful night investigations after NOLYNCH vote day 2. It really didn't work out. That experience sold me on the solidness of the LAL meta.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #977 (ISO) » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:54 am

Post by Adel »

btw, what is Jerubbaal's case against Flay again?
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #978 (ISO) » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:23 am

Post by Jitsu »

I think I know who I'm going to vote for. The last few pages have made things clearer in my mind. I don't have time at the moment to explain my reasons, so I will post later tonight.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #979 (ISO) » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Post by Oman »

Flay, i just got limited access at the time of the post, otherwise I would've mentioned it.

Unvote
Flay made some intereesting points about Adel's behaviour as scum adn town and how this effects my thoughts about her overly complex play.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #980 (ISO) » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:17 pm

Post by Adel »

for the record, I don't have Oman anywhere near the top of my scum list. This is kinda like the inverse of my usual OMGUS vote.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #981 (ISO) » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:31 pm

Post by Oman »

Yeah, also, it wasn't OMGUS from my side either :)
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #982 (ISO) » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:49 pm

Post by Jitsu »

At the beginning of the day, I did not consider Flay as a suspect. I was suspecting Setael and Gunslinger/Oman.

The first post that started to hint that something was different about Flay was 817. There, he ripped into Adel, then voted Setael and FoSed almost half of the remaining players (Jerub, me, and to a lesser extent, AA and Adel). Then he seems to say that he can't be scum because he would not play so transparently if he were. In the very next post, 818, he sees the need to stop the "nonsensical bandwagon" that was growing on him. This I find odd because Adel's vote in 814 was a clear pressure vote and was the only vote on him at the time. AA mentioned some suspicion of Flay in 806, but it is relatively clear that he was only expressing a thought and not going after Flay in earnest. Jerub was the only player applying any real pressure and he had not even voted yet. I was a little suspicious of Flay at this point, but not enough to think he was scum.

In 825, I find it odd that Setael seems to lambaste Adel for her vote (on Setael), like Adel was the one that was responsible for driving the wagon on her. Why didn't she mention Flay's vote on her (that started the wagon) or my vote? Then in 856, Setael mentions that she didn't think anyone was bussing -- the only possibility could be Flay, but she didn't even think he was. Then Setael echoes Flay's earlier meta defense that Flay is an experienced player and that he would have been more careful than that. Kind of looks to me like she defended him here, thought I didn't catch this until a reread.

In 881, that's when Flay says the Setael wagon is WAY too convienent, points out that she found something nobody else did when she voted for Korlash, then unvotes her. I ask Flay in 882 why he voted for Setael when he thought her reason for a vote on Korlash was justified. Flay responds to me that there has been a LOT of wagon pushing on Setael and thinks some of her detractors may be Korlash's buddies. In 889, Setael wants to know who came up with the theory that she held onto the contradiction she found against Korlash because that person will be her new top suspect. I looked it up and found that that person was Abstract Actuary. Then Setael agrees with Flay's interpretation that it is weird for town and for scum. At this point, I wondered why Setael was focused on AA for coming up with the theory that she was holding on to information. That seemed like a really weak reason for a vote on AA when she could have given a much stronger reason for a vote on Flay or myself. I admit, the theory may not have been very likely, but it was possible. Also, when Flay started a bandwagon on her, she never seemed very concerned about it.

Also in 881, Flay voted AA. I never really liked Flay's case against AA because I am pretty convinced that AA is town, based on his desire for caution and the high quality of answers he has given. I agree with AA on his opinion that Day 2 ended too quickly, and I continue to like his responses today. When Flay pointed out AA's Day 1 support of Korlash, I thought it was kind of bogus because a lot of people seemed to still be unsure of Korlash then. In 614, AA declared his support for a Miztef lynch, but his comment on Korlash was "I admit that Korlash has posted a lot, and a lot of crap, but he seems to readily admit that that is how he always plays. In my experience mafia members tend not to play that way on day 1." I could see how this might be a subtle attempt at defending Korlash, but I would tend to agree with AA's statement, so I don't see how that makes AA scummy. I think it is consistent with AA's cautious nature, which I understand because I feel the same way.

In 895, Flay mentions how the wagon against Setael is making him nervous even though HE started it. At this point, Setael only had 2 votes on her because I unvoted way back in 838. Flay repeats how it makes no sense for Setael to hold onto the contradiction and how he has no evidence that Setael bussed him, so she fell to his second tier of choices. In 910, I pressed him by asking why he felt that way when he started the wagon, and Adel and I were pro-town in his eyes. He had no answer in 911. If Flay thought that Setael was suspicious enough to vote her and in 911 he admits that he cannot explain why he unvoted her, why did he not revote her then? Even after a couple of gentle prods from Jerub and myself, Flay did not try to answer until 946, so I think he was being evasive. On reread, I think it is likely that Flay never seriously intended to push a Setael wagon and was trying to search for a way to get off of her wagon without drawing suspicion.

We all know about Adel's immovable vote placed in 955. At first, I thought she was nuts for suggesting it without presenting any case on Flay, so I demanded an explanation. More on this later.

Things started to get more clear for me in 965, where Setael said she could not see Flayscum and declares she will not be joining his wagon due to Adel not presenting a case on him. I can understand not voting at that point, but I find it odd that Setael has not been able to seriously consider a Flayscum or find any kind of fault with Flay at all on Day 3 (and probably before that -- didn't she say before that she respected Flay's experience so much that even if he were scum that she would follow him into LYLO?) It seems to me that Setael has either a serious case of idol worship (unlikely), or she is trying to lead the discussion away from Flay and help deflect for him (more likely). At the very least, Flay has been somewhat evasive on replies to my questions, something that Flay himself admitted, to a point, at the end of 895. At this point, I started rereading, looking at a potential Setael/Flay pair. This is when I started to think that Adel wasn't nuts and began to look at things deeper.

In 975, Flay labels Adel's vote as a gambit and says that it is ill-advised, giving four reasons why, that all appear to label Adel's vote as foolish or misguided. I have a problem with that, because regardless of Adel's jumping to conclusions a bit, an overreliance on statistics on Day 1, and love for gambits, I do not agree that Adel would make such a foolish play without a reason. I do not think Adel was playing a gambit. I am going to wager here that Adel is not stupid. Voting for Flay and stubbornly denying demands to state her case were likely to be met with resistance, and it's quite obvious if Flay were to come up town, then Adel would probably have the noose around her neck already by the time the night scene were posted. I think it is more likely that Flay is scum.

If I read the situation correctly, and I hope I am, I think there is another explanation why Adel did what she did. I encourage the other townies to consider this also.

Vote: Mr. Flay
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #983 (ISO) » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:51 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The question is whether Adel is serious. Adel may say that the vote is unremovable, but I doubt that that is the case; while I don't doubt that Adel seriously believes that Flay is scum (or seriously wants us to believe that Flay is scum), I think that should sufficiently world-shattering data appears, the vote will switch.

Secondly, did anyone think that it would be so straightforward as "Adel is communicating?" From what I've read of Adel, he's mysterious and difficult to predict, yet in a very logical way; Adel is helpful in an unhelpful way, and unhelpful in a helpful way, if that means anything. What I'm trying to say, is that Adel is capable of great insight as town or scum, but isn't particularly likely to explain them to anyone.

Right now, I'm most suspicious of jerrubeal. A few weird moves on the last few pages have left me scratching my head- trying to bandwagon Flay quietly not least among them.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Setael
Setael
Mafia Scum
Setael
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #984 (ISO) » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:41 am

Post by Setael »

Jitsu, your entire case on Flay is based on the assumption that I am scum. Just for fun, reread assuming I'm TOWN and see if you still think Flay is scum. This read will be more accurate, since it's not founded on false assumptions.
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #985 (ISO) » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:16 am

Post by Jitsu »

Setael wrote:Jitsu, your entire case on Flay is based on the assumption that I am scum. Just for fun, reread assuming I'm TOWN and see if you still think Flay is scum. This read will be more accurate, since it's not founded on false assumptions.
No, it's not entirely based on the assumption you are scum.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #986 (ISO) » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:31 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

So the parts that aren't based on Setael being scum are based on...what? Me suspecting a lot of people? :?

I don't have a coherent reply to your suspicions yet, Jitsu. I'm finding this Day incredibly frustrating so far, because everything I say seems to be misinterpreted.
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #987 (ISO) » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:55 am

Post by Jitsu »

Setael wrote:Jitsu, your entire case on Flay is based on the assumption that I am scum. Just for fun, reread assuming I'm TOWN and see if you still think Flay is scum. This read will be more accurate, since it's not founded on false assumptions.
To clarify, I am not certain that you are Flay's partner. There are other possibilities I think, but it seems like the most probable choice to me right now.

Even if you are innocent, it does not explain Flay's weird reason for unvoting you and being evasive about it. Flay did bring up your reason for the Korlash vote, but it was not the reason he gave when I pressed him further. I asked him why he voted you in the first place if he saw the reason -- he could have just said that he did not read your reason for voting Korlash carefully at first, and on reread he understood it more fully. But he didn't say that. When pressed for a reason (my post 882), Flay said he unvoted because there has been a lot of wagon pushing on you previously, he was NERVOUS about that wagon building up too fast on you today. If he thought Adel and I were pro-town at the time, why the heck would he do that? If I'm going to start a wagon on someone, and I see two people I think are moderate-to-strong townies jump on it, I would not be unvoting and saying I was nervous about it. Sure, Flay admitted he came to an incorrect conclusion; but it wasn't about your innocence. It was about being nervous of how quickly the wagon formed. If Flay were innocent, I think he would have just stuck to saying "on reread, I think she is innocent" instead of adding that "the wagon on her is WAY too convenient" and "the wagon on Setael is making me nervous". Even if you ARE innocent, it doesn't change the fact that how Flay's left the wagon he started on you was suspicious.

Even if you are innocent, it just not justify Flay's case on Abstract Actuary which I don't believe. That has nothing to do with you, although you jumping on AA later on only makes it more likely that you are Flay's partner in my mind.

Even if you are innocent, I still find Flay's post 975 scummy for several reasons, and that post has nothing to do with you.
jerubbaal
jerubbaal
Goon
jerubbaal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #988 (ISO) » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:02 am

Post by jerubbaal »

Sudo, I think you're really missing the point. The question is not whether Adel is serious or not with her "I'm not moving vote." I don't see how that has any relevance to the case on Flay at all. Have you read that case as Jitsu presented it (I do realize that you posted only two minutes after, but do read the post, it's a better summary of Flay's inconsistent action than mine)

Your second paragraph is cryptic fluff.

I was not aware that my bandwagon was terribly quiet. I think Flay is scum, ergo... vote. Are you simply not reading carefully?
jerubbaal wrote:Hypocrite, no.

Bandwagoner, yes.
You have really yet to enter the conversation of this thread at all, in any way, on any day. Some participation would be rather appreciated. I personally am rather surprised Flay never sunk his anti-lurker claws into you. You seem to fit the profile of active lurker much more than Oman at this point.
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #989 (ISO) » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:18 am

Post by Jitsu »

Jerub,

According to the last vote count, I believe your vote for Flay was not counted because you failed to unvote for Oman first. FYI.
jerubbaal
jerubbaal
Goon
jerubbaal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #990 (ISO) » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:54 am

Post by jerubbaal »

Thanks, sorry, missed the mod's correction. I was actually curious what Flay's jab about the vote formatting error was.

Unvote, Vote: Flay
<><
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #991 (ISO) » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:01 am

Post by Adel »

seriously though, what is jerubbaal's case against Mr. Flay?
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #992 (ISO) » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:22 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

curiouskarmadog wrote:what is your case against Flay?
can you please restate your case against Flay, jerb?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
jerubbaal
jerubbaal
Goon
jerubbaal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #993 (ISO) » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:54 am

Post by jerubbaal »

Ok, this is largely a summary of what is contained in 887, point by point.

1) Flay continued to support a Gunslinger lynch after Korlash's lie was established. Of the points mentioned, I think Flay answered this one the best. I don't agree that lurking>lying, but Flay has continued to consider lurking a serious offense, so he appears to be consistent here.

2) A complaint against the move flay makes in 881, and I think this one still stands up rather well. The move away from Anata/Set was not justified at all, other than a general discomfort with the wagon (which he began), and the logic implicating AA was forced. On a related note, he doesn't ever follow up on the case against AA, or why the wagon on Set was wrong. It is possible to read 927 as an admission of the faultiness of post 881, but I'm not sure, and it certainly was not made explicit.

3) Flay basically drops the point on Anata's leaving and picking up again, which he calls a major scumtell, merely because Adel criticized him. If you do consider it a major scumtell, your action regarding Anata/Set is inconsistent. This is just another example of his stance toward Anata/Set being confusing and contradictory.

4) Jitsu places several questions to Flay in 882, and Flay does not answer the questions regarding his move away from Set and to AA. Flay's response to this criticism from me is placed at the bottom of post 895. The early part of the post deals with his action toward Gunslinger and Anata/Set (where he suggests that she did originally leave due to pressure, yet he does not follow through on this either), but his response to my criticism is essentially a promise for more content addressing the issues, which never comes.

Those were the initial points which I brought up against Flay and some of their follow through. I think Jitsu's summary of the recent activity in 982 is fairly accurate and makes a better case for the whole Flay/Set scumpair scenario, which does seem very probable at the moment.
<><
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #994 (ISO) » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:23 am

Post by Jitsu »

I have a question for you Adel. When did you start to suspect Flay?
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #995 (ISO) » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:11 am

Post by Adel »

on or about Friday, November 30th.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #996 (ISO) » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:31 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Adel wrote:on or about Friday, November 30th.
So about nine days before you actually voted for me with your "irrevocable" decision? Interesting. I assume then that I'm your "primary suspect" that you were neglecting to name for half a dozen posts before the 9th? Did you ever discover who your candidate for third scum is? Let's get all the cards on the table, if you're bound and determined to lynch me.

jeru, in order:
1. Korlash's "lie" still hasn't been shown to be anything conclusive. NabNab's death scenes and post 951 are decidedly ambiguous. Gunslinger's lurking and wretchedly poor logic/scumhunting were established, open behavior. (I think I established this pretty clearly in 895, by the way:
"Given a choice, I will ALWAYS choose to meta players based on the game I am playing, rather than other games/other players' games."
) Oman's lurking was/is decidedly out of character for him, though he now says his access is limited. He has found time to post about 18 times since his last post here on Monday, however... (a far cry from 15/day, but still hardly limited) :roll:
2. "Anata" is still on my list of potential scum, even though the current attempt to lynch me based on her scumminess is bizarre, to say the least. Setael is taking a big risk (if scum) by tying herself to me so closely, although she may (as scum) be certain that I will come up town and therefore she may get a pass.
3. Dropping and returning
is
still a scumtell in my view. But Anata's role being revealed in that newbie game puts some doubt on her alignment here, since it was predicated in my mind on her having a 'more interesting' role in the NG than here. If dropping this game was due to
pressure
(not role), that's a much weaker tell.
4. To be honest, I looked at post 495 and don't see what you're complaining about. That post was made hours after my big re-read (#881) and on short sleep, and I expected there to be more content/questions to follow up on, which didn't turn out to be true. Is that scummy? If there were further questions unanswered there, please restate them so I can answer clearly. I'll note that jerubbaal's attacks on me started very shortly after 881...

In order to add some fresh content, I *really* don't like Abstract Actuary's non-answer in #908. But he's been consistent in suspecting jerubbaal, Setael, and Gunslinger (with a side of Sudo_Nym) from #824 to #964, which I had somewhat missed by the end of my re-read that day.
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #997 (ISO) » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:34 am

Post by NabakovNabakov »

Vote Count as of Post 996

jerubbaal (2):
curiouskarmadog, Mr. Flay

Abstract Actuary (1):
Setael

Mr. Flay(3):
Adel, Jitsu, jerubbaal

Not Voting (3):
Sudo_Nym, Abstract Actuary, Oman

9 alive, 5 will lynch.
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #998 (ISO) » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:51 am

Post by Adel »

So about nine days before you actually voted for me with your "irrevocable" decision? Interesting. I assume then that I'm your "primary suspect" that you were neglecting to name for half a dozen posts before the 9th?
IIRC I was actually pretty wishy-washy during that time. It was around the 30th I decided that there was an outstanding chance that you were scum.. but I decided to take a "wait and see approach". jerubbaal and Setael are the other players I've strongly suspected.
jerubbaal
jerubbaal
Goon
jerubbaal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #999 (ISO) » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:58 am

Post by jerubbaal »

I expressed suspicion before 881, (see 879), but I find 881 to be your scummiest action in the game by far. The primary reason I'm now voting you is for you inconsistent attitude toward Anata/Set, exemplified by 881. You start the Set wagon, are rather quickly joined by Jitsu (which is not surprising, since he's been after Anata/Set all game) and Adel (who is apparently very high on your town list), yet you jump off citing that there's something wrong with the wagon. It does make it look very much like, when the wagon took off quicker than expected, you needed to find a reason to jump off. The case on AA is very contrived, and even you seem to be backing off it since it has been met with hostility.

I'll be very clear with the questions: What was it about the Set wagon which bothered you so much, and why was your case against AA so contrived?
<><

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”