Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:26 pm

Post by Erg0 »

I wasn't pointing out a contradiction, more an omission.
"You were doing well until everyone died."
V/LA most weekends.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:37 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Vote Count

Gorrad: 5 (Fritzler, Flameaxe, The Fonz, UltimaAvalon, Claus)
UltimaAvalon: 3 (JordanA24, Guardian, Erg0)
Thestatusquo: 3 (mikeburnfire, KaleiÐoscøpe, Rosso Carne)
Kison: 2 (Sir Tornado, hasdgfas)
Claus: 1 (cicero)
cicero: 1 (Iammars)
hasdgfas: 1 (Kison)
Skruffs: 1 (Samruc)
Sir Tornado: 1 (Thok)
Iammars: 1 (Guardian)

Not voting: 6 (Mgm, Skruffs, Thesp, Thestatusquo, Twomz, Gorrad)

13 to lynch!

Deadline will be ~20th February.

Under Rule [05], nobody would be lynched at deadline.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:40 pm

Post by Claus »

???

... rereading ...

Ah, you mean that "neck cut and beaten to death" could be 2 deaths because of the "and"?

Meh, I can see it going both ways. This is exactly the kind of speculation that we can go without D1, since tomorrow we will know which of the options is true quite easily.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:14 pm

Post by Erg0 »

Fair enough. I seriously doubt that it will have a significant effect on our day 1 play either way (at least it shouldn't).
"You were doing well until everyone died."
V/LA most weekends.
Mgm
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:11 am

Post by Mgm »

Vote: Gorrad
Show
"Logic is a systematic method to come to the wrong conclusion."
[u][b]Next:[/b] Doctor Who Mafia[/u]
[u]Testimonials about Mgm:[/u]
:shock: - Stoofer
You put me through hell Mgm, my nerves are crushed :/ - Patrick
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:31 am

Post by Thesp »

I like Guardian's line of thought re: Iammars.
Claus wrote:3- Confirming with a "Yar, captain" is not a pirate/ninja/whatever tell. Pirates are cool, even if they are scum in this game. I was planning to do my opening vote similarly, but cicero's and Guardian's posts gave me a better and less random idea.
I'm not sure your minor anecdotal evidence can purely discount the pirate-speak as a potential scum-tell. Scum-tells aren't
exclusively
done by scum, they are
more often
done by scum than by town. I want to see where this goes.
Erg0 wrote:Interesting that you ignored the apparent double kill here...
I find it more interesting that you bring it up. What would someone connected to a kill have to gain by intimating fewer deaths on N1?

I find the gorrad wagon mildly interesting.

Vote: Iammars.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Sir Tornado
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:23 am

Post by Sir Tornado »

Guardian wrote:
No one has responded in any meaningful way to my points about UA's pirate avatar, or Iammars's confirming with pirate flavor. I believe the latter is a stronger point, and merits a change of vote at this juncture.

Don't dismiss this out of hand -- Iammars confirmed with pirate flavor -- he could easily be ninja scum who thought pirates were townies (pirates v. ninjas, a reasonable assumption to make). By claiming with pirate flavor, he gains points as being ready to look like a pirate -- but it now appears pirates are scum, too.

It seems that at least one reasonable explanation is that Iammars is in fact ninja scum who wanted to look a pirate.
I see this entirely viable.

vote Iammars
I'm back!
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:11 am

Post by Skruffs »

Lots to respond to, but it seems that people have already pointed all of those things out.

Speculating on the setup is not intrinsically bad - if someone says there is likely to be a role (like scum-specific doctor roles), that doesn't make a lot of sense, they should be called out on it.

I'm glad that claus pointed out the 'neck cut' as the pirate death... Looking at it, I have to say that it's just as possible that ninjas would slice someone as that they would beat someone up. I guess that it depends on the ninja.

Thesp- I guess I'm using 'burden of proficiency' here, but I doubt that someone as amazing as strategy as you would make such a slip and 'not realize' that everyone wasn't pirate or ninja. Even less likely is that you would think, as town, that intentionally doing that would *work* though.

I'm boggled, and that upsets me, because you're usually a beacon of sense... Just odd, though.

haikus:

Guardian: you were scum in open 19 and a miller in ork mafia, both games in which you used haikus: correct? Haikus don't seem to work for you very well.

Secondly: I was in haiku mafia, a game run by glork, and it was very easy to win because of the extreme limitations being forced to post in 34 syllables, at once, imposed. inasmuch, I am not sure why someone would intentionally limit themselves.

Lastly:
Welcome to the game MGM, why did you put a sixth vote on gorrad?
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:16 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

Sir Tornado wrote:
Guardian wrote:
No one has responded in any meaningful way to my points about UA's pirate avatar, or Iammars's confirming with pirate flavor. I believe the latter is a stronger point, and merits a change of vote at this juncture.

Don't dismiss this out of hand -- Iammars confirmed with pirate flavor -- he could easily be ninja scum who thought pirates were townies (pirates v. ninjas, a reasonable assumption to make). By claiming with pirate flavor, he gains points as being ready to look like a pirate -- but it now appears pirates are scum, too.

It seems that at least one reasonable explanation is that Iammars is in fact ninja scum who wanted to look a pirate.
I see this entirely viable.

vote Iammars
Wow, that's pretty good logic, and is more solid than my suspicions against TSQ.

unvote, vote Iammars
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
Mgm
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:28 am

Post by Mgm »

Skruffs wrote:Lastly:
Welcome to the game MGM, why did you put a sixth vote on gorrad?
Various reasons:
1) His speculations don´t give of a totally innocent vibe.
2) This game is pretty big, I want to shorten the random vote period and get some speed in the game.
3) I just feel like bandwagoning today.
Show
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:44 am

Post by Thesp »

Skruffs wrote:I'm glad that claus pointed out the 'neck cut' as the pirate death... Looking at it, I have to say that it's just as possible that ninjas would slice someone as that they would beat someone up. I guess that it depends on the ninja.
How is this helpful right now?
Skruffs wrote:Thesp- I guess I'm using 'burden of proficiency' here, but I doubt that someone as amazing as strategy as you would make such a slip and 'not realize' that everyone wasn't pirate or ninja. Even less likely is that you would think, as town, that intentionally doing that would *work* though.
I'm not sure what you mean - if the town plays along, and acts as though it's feasible and worthwhile, it may have tripped up a one or two scum who would think that non-pirate/ninjas were abnormal. I saw no harm in trying, and I thought I would get useful reactions (which I think I got).

Perhaps I'm missing something.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:56 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Out of the two bandwagons we have, I prefer the Iammars one as it has better logic behind it. Speculation of the setup, while it almost always comes back to bite you, is not inherently scummy. The logic used on Iammars seems a bit more, um, logical than the wagon on Gorrad, which I don't see a good reason for.
However, it's not enough for a vote from me right now. Just a
FoS: Iammars
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:13 am

Post by Thesp »

Why not, hasdgfas?
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:20 am

Post by Guardian »

I want to point out, at this time, that I said I'd be writing in haiku, being wary of cases, and pushing for short page length days in the sign up thread -- just so that if and when these things happened, people would know it was not some sort of tell.
mikeburnfire wrote:I agree. I thought maybe you were post-restricted though, so your haikus were what I focused on, not what you were saying.
That's reasonable.
mikeburnfire wrote:Ohhhhh. Okay. Well, here's my rebuttal:

Can you prove that my vote was not random?
No -- and I don't see how that matters. You've said you don't want to reveal the reasons for it, and haven't done much of anything proactive to try and get others to exit the random voting stage -- a cause you said was of high importance to you. Your TSQ vote *might* have some meaning behind it -- but you aren't interested in sharing, nor are you being helpful towards reaching your goal of getting out of the phase.

This dichotomy between your proclaimed goal in the game and actions in the game is what troubles me.

---

UA: I would have sworn you were in Ork Mafia. I also thought you might have read my comments in the sign up thread. I hadn't thought that someone else would burst into haiku, while not copying me. Apparently, I was in error -- you're off my short list, for now.

---

Claus, UA -- could you use less acronmys? FUD? MSU?

---
Skruffs wrote:
haikus:

Guardian: you were scum in open 19 and a miller in ork mafia, both games in which you used haikus: correct?
Hm, no. I looked over open 19, and I can't see where I used haiku. To my knowledge, Ork mafia was the only game I used them in, I think it is fun and freeing to do them in large games, and I think I'll continue to do so.
Skruffs wrote:Haikus don't seem to work for you very well.
I'm not sure where you are coming from here. In Ork mafia, I engineered a day 1 mass claim that won the game for town. Even had you been right about Open 19 -- I survived a 89 page game to lylo and lost in great part because my partner had been eliminated a few days prior because of a coin flip, and also because of a performance by Thok in which he only voted for two townies the entire game.

Why are you suggesting that those games went badly for me -- are you that intent on me not using haiku?
Skruffs wrote:Secondly: I was in haiku mafia, a game run by glork, and it was very easy to win because of the extreme limitations being forced to post in 34 syllables, at once, imposed. inasmuch, I am not sure why someone would intentionally limit themselves.
In that game,
only
haiku were allowed, at all times. Clearly that isn't the case here.

---

MBF's 108 really, really bugs me. Why? Timing. He didn't even acknowledge my logic against Iammars's existence when he, in 90, responded to the same post that said logic was in.

Instead, he voted only after Thesp and Sir Tornado did.

ps: Happy birthday Iammars!

---

And yeah, welcome hasdgfas -- what
would
merit placing a 5th vote on someone at this point in the game?
Do not lynch me.
[wiki]Great Nibbler Takeover of 2008[/wiki]
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:23 am

Post by Twomz »

There are 3 reasons to discuss the setup; 1) To eliminate some of the "surprises" that can occur later in the game (like is the 2nd NK a vig, a sk, or a second scum group?), this one leads directly to number 2 as well... 2) To pick out people who might slip out inside information and 3) For statistical purposes (if there are X number of scum left in the town, then we have 2 mislynch/NK cycles before the town defaults a lose).

That being said, a part of me agrees with Guardian, Sir T, and MBF. Even though I think there is too much of a chance that it was just some flavorful fun, this is Day 1... so
Vote: Iammars
. With 13 to lynch, I am not worried about a quicklynch right now anyway ;).
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:36 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Thesp wrote:Why not, hasdgfas?
Why not what?
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Gorrad
Gorrad
Mafia Scum
Gorrad
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:17 am

Post by Gorrad »

I see where people are coming from on the Iammars wagon, but I think it's kind of weak reasoning.
. Iammars, thoughts?
I will not assume everyone with blue eyes has Mako poisoning
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:23 am

Post by Thok »

The Iammars wagon (as well as Thesp's attempted trap) seems to be based off of an assumption that I don't think I'm ready to accept yet. (For a reference point, this assumption would have been valid in C&H, and not valid in Space Monkey.)

I'm keeping this comment vague for a reason.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:31 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

I get good vibes from Thok!
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:37 am

Post by Skruffs »

Thesp:
Yes, I'm aware of that.
However, for town to play along, they would have had to have fake claimed scum.

Right?

And then, after town fake claims scum, to 'play along', even if regular scum 'slips', how would you be able to distinguish between the two?

It would add confusion, not remove it.

Guardian:
If you want haikus
Go ahead and haikus use
I could care less what you do to hunt scum, as long as it 'works' for you.
It *is* odd that you think using haikus is a scum tell with other people, if they are so effective for you, though.
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:46 am

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

mikeburnfire wrote:I get good vibes from Thok!
That's usually a scumtell

Unvote Vote: Thok
JordanA24
JordanA24
Mafia Scum
JordanA24
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:07 am

Post by JordanA24 »

I don't find the Iammars wagon that convincing, the way he confirmed is hardly a scumtell IMO.

Gorrad's pretty scummy, as well as with the discussing the setup, this caught my eye as well:
Gorrad wrote:I see where people are coming from on the Iammars wagon, but I think it's kind of weak reasoning.
. Iammars, thoughts?
Admits it's weak reasoning, but FOSes him anyway, I can see this as going along with the general crowd, and maybe to put more pressure on Mars. But he already has 6 votes, I want to hear from him again before maybe voting him.

KScope, intriguing reason to vote for Thok, you're voting him for looking townie, what makes you think that makes scum rather than a townie who is looking townie?

Guardian, at the end of your last post, you mentioned hasd and something to do with putting a 5th vote on someone. As far as I can tell, hasd hasn't put a 5th vote on someone, or mentioned anything about it, did you mean Claus?

Speaking of Claus:
Claus wrote:6- expect me to skip any posts that contains more than 3 paragraphs.
Why are you skipping posts with more than 3 paragraphs, that's where a lot of the content is.
Please delete my comment from your sig...such an awful joke- Battle Mage

Politics Mafia currently requires 1 replacement, please PM me if interested.
Gorrad
Gorrad
Mafia Scum
Gorrad
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:44 am

Post by Gorrad »

Ok, the whole discussing the setup thing? I don't get how that's scummy. If I saw someone else do it, I'd see it as a null-tell. Obviously some of y'all see it as scummy, if y'all want to explain why, that's cool, either way I really can't defend myself against something I don't understand.

As for Mars, he's getting a good number of votes while he's not at his computer. The logic behind his bandwagon is the biggest tell I've seen in the game so far, so normally I'd vote him, but I'd rather give him a chance to say his peace than add one more vote to the list of ones he gets while not able to explain himself.
Mgm
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:24 am

Post by Mgm »

hasdgfas wrote:
Why not what?
He was responding to your post right above his. If you scroll up a bit you can see exactly what he responded to.

Claus, I would hold it against you if you read long posts in a little less detail than all the others, but skipping them entirely is unforgivable -
FOS: Claus

Gorrad, it's not the discussing of the setup that is scummy, it is the manner in which you and Mr. Iammars are doing so.
Show
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:28 am

Post by Thesp »

hasdgfas wrote:
Why not what?
Why is it not sufficient to vote? (What Guardian said after my post.) PPE: Sarnath'd by Mgm.
Skruffs wrote:Thesp:
Yes, I'm aware of that.
However, for town to play along, they would have had to have fake claimed scum.

Right?

And then, after town fake claims scum, to 'play along', even if regular scum 'slips', how would you be able to distinguish between the two?

It would add confusion, not remove it.
Here is a possible super-awesome-ideal claim-world fantasy Thesp had, which in no way involves town lying:

Town: Bob, you go first.
Bobninjascum: I'm a pirate!
Johnninjascum: I'm a pirate as well!
Towndude: I'm neither.
Othertowndude: I'm neither also.
Otherscumdude: Uh, I'm neither, too!
Yetanothertownsperson: Neither here!
Everyoneelse: Neither! Woo!
Hey, that's odd, what's up with the two pirates? Isn't this pirates & ninjas mafia? (lynch lynch)

I suspected it'd never actually make it to claiming time, and I figured the reactions I'd get either way would be worthwhile (and I feel I'm right). There are other concerns out there (notably what Thok alludes to), and the possibility that non-pirates-or-ninjas claimed before scum do and scum simply follow suit, but I felt the gains outweighed the possible risks.
JordanA24 wrote:
Gorrad wrote:I see where people are coming from on the Iammars wagon, but I think it's kind of weak reasoning. FoS: Iammars. Iammars, thoughts?
Admits it's weak reasoning, but FOSes him anyway, I can see this as going along with the general crowd, and maybe to put more pressure on Mars. But he already has 6 votes, I want to hear from him again before maybe voting him.
I was thinking something similar - this looks like a scum link here, especially when Gorrad follows it up with...
Gorrad wrote:As for Mars, he's getting a good number of votes while he's not at his computer. The logic behind his bandwagon is the biggest tell I've seen in the game so far, so normally I'd vote him, but I'd rather give him a chance to say his peace than add one more vote to the list of ones he gets while not able to explain himself.
We can lynch Gorrad tomorrow. Iammars is for today.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”