PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #1950 (ISO) » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:28 pm

Post by PokerFace »

When reading this game I thought MBF was a slightly different role because he kept saying 'Amen'. I scanned the mafia wiki and learned there was a role in mostly mute monk that got powerful if enough people said amen during the day. So i thought he was that monkish role, and a monk would kinda fit into this game since it does have ninjas too.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #1951 (ISO) » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:30 pm

Post by PokerFace »

PokerFace wrote:huh?

I don't get it. How does 4 docs make no kills and two kills? That makes no sence...Well at least they stop all the pirate kills another way...

Ok enough jokes. I read game and thought it was cool. Wish my RL schedule would have been kind enough to give me time for the game. I like how Von Hellsing was naive and Macarthur was paranoid like. Makes sence with those characters. Had I been around at the end there and was scum with any group I would have made this claim for a good laugh and because if it actually worked via fucking with enough people's brains it would have been cool.
<<Gerald Ford

Vote: ooba

I was a president and my role here is govenor. Depite never really being being elected I can pardon one player from a lynch. BUT Because I was never elected (got the office because of the Nixon situation) I can't pardon myself. Either ooba is scum lying or he still has an extra get away from lynch.
Well that's all. Level of killing made this game look interesting and 'educational'. Yet watching ninjas and pirates fight probably shouldn't be educational.

I just couldn't let a cool game about ninjas and pirates go by without saying something. later
I really wish I could have joined or replaced into this game and maybe made this claim for the hell of it. :cry: . Still good read though. :D
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #1952 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:55 am

Post by Kison »

Lie Detector is an interesting role, and I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere else. I'd not mind seeing it toyed with again in the future.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #1953 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:01 am

Post by PokerFace »

PokerFace wrote:When reading this game I thought MBF was a slightly different role because he kept saying 'Amen'. I scanned the mafia wiki and learned there was a role in mostly mute monk that got powerful if enough people said amen during the day. So i thought he was that monkish role, and a monk would kinda fit into this game since it does have ninjas too.
That role is Prayer Leader (If half the players said amen in a day could vig kill or investigate that night).

I like the idea of checking if one statement is a lie so I would have to agree with kison on lie detector being used again sometime.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1954 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:20 am

Post by The Fonz »

I've seen it before.

Otherwise I wouldn't have insisted we kill MBF that night.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1955 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:36 am

Post by cicero »

Fonz is a fantastic scumbuddy, by the way. Just thought I'd put that out there. Very smart and experienced. Sees all the angles. Doesn't play scummy. Great to work with.

(No disrespect to Guardian. I had more time to play with Fonz.)
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #1956 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:07 am

Post by Thesp »

Thesp wrote:Thesp's list o' the scummzors, guaranteed to be accurate in some way, shape or form currently unrealized:
Goblins
Cogito Ergo Sum
UltimaAvalon

Ninjas
Primate
Kison
It occurs to me that this post was substantially below average for scumfinding. Smooth job, goblins. ;)

A particular note of awesomeness should go to ooba, who correctly guided what little there was of the town through the endgame to an improbable successful win.

I really was quite disappointed by substandard play from Fritzler, and subsequently from MBL (though I'm glad he killed Skruffs, the Iammars kill in particular was terrible). I also want to kick Mgm in the shins for suggesting from beyond the grave that I was scum. Note: When Mgm says I'm scum, I'm probably town. ;) Of course, this game had several moments where I wasn't exactly shining, as above. =P

I'm a bit surprused at how fast the end went - I was gone for a good part of the week while work was crushing my soul, and I saw the thread opened for D7, and almost posted something along the lines of "sorry I haven't posted yet guys, I agree with
Vote: No Lynch
", because I didn't see my death scene (it was in a separate post from the day opening)! I'm glad that catastrophe was avoided.

I'm not sure how much conctrol the town had over this game, and while it was fun, I think I'll stick to games where my actinos are more specifically significant rather than randomly significant.

Thanks everyone for a great game.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #1957 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:14 am

Post by Skruffs »

Well, I'm glad ninjas lost too.

My fake claim was going to be captain kirk of the uss enterprise, a survivor who was nk immune as long as he didn't interfere with the natives (like by voting, hee hee)

I thought mbl was maybe a 'pgo vig', he could kill only from a group of people who targetted hiim. How else can you explain him killing so many docs? I was fishing, not baiting.

Also: tsq announcing his nk choice in confirmation=bad. Ksc0pe claiming lover in. Game w/ multiple groups=bad. Me being scum=bad. Why does stoofer hate pirates???
Iammars
Iammars
Mers I am not
Iammars
Mers I am not
Mers I am not

Post Post #1958 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:49 pm

Post by Iammars »

Yeah! Town Win!

And I honestly did think I was a pirate. I thought that there was a cult and that I was a cult cop. Oh well.
"Rolefishing is fishing for someones role. It's called fishing because it requires subtlety. When you grab a shotgun and start firing into the water, thats not fishing." - IH
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee
Slightly better than 50-50
MrBuddyLee

Post Post #1959 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Post by MrBuddyLee »

You guys, so much vig hate. :)

Let me explain my crappy thinking.

First night nokill, give everyone a chance to play.

Second night kill the doofus who, unprovoked, blatantly hinted at being a doctor. Who does that? A liar, that's who!
Xtoxm wrote:
I find it interesting that eveyrone and their dog targetted MBL on N0.
I didn't, unfortunately.
Third night believe the scum, thinking they got a cross-kill hit or two.
Guardian wrote:anyways, i tried to kill erg0 last night. he is 100% scum.

I also have role-based information that Thok is on an opposing scum faction. well, my buddy does. so he is another good lynch. 100% scum.

Fourth night kill the obvScum Skruffs.

Fifth night kill the guy who used his safeclaim after not knowing whether his role was a pirate or not. I mean seriously, how hard is it to figure out on the internet that Abraham van Helsing is not a pirate? I called shenanigans:
Iammars wrote:
Iammars wrote:Also, it's not my fault I never heard about my character before, and Wikipedia sure isn't helping me.
And how does this post say that I can't find it in Wikipedia?

Wikipedia just isn't helping me determine whether or not my character is a pirate.

My role is either one of two things: Pirate or not pirate and not ninja. I'm leaning heavily towards the second, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm going to PM stoofer about it.

Remember when I mentioned that I expected that there were people who weren't pirates or ninjas? That's because my role deals with vampires too. I'm a Vampire Finder (Abraham Van Helsing)
Actually my role was:
You are Luke Skywalker. You are a Retard Vig.
I thought it meant I won by vigging retards but in retrospect, the actual meaning is obvious. :)
dialing in mildly protown reads since 2006
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee

Post Post #1960 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:21 pm

Post by MrBuddyLee »

Let's all practice together for next game.

pirate

not a pirate

pirate

not a pirate
dialing in mildly protown reads since 2006
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #1961 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by Kison »

im not going 2 practice with u until u stop being mean 2 me
Iammars
Iammars
Mers I am not
Iammars
Mers I am not
Mers I am not

Post Post #1962 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:45 pm

Post by Iammars »

Thanks MBL, I really needed that.[/sarcasm]

I thought it was pirates = town, ninja = scum. Therefore since I was town, I was a pirate.
"Rolefishing is fishing for someones role. It's called fishing because it requires subtlety. When you grab a shotgun and start firing into the water, thats not fishing." - IH
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1963 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Post by Erg0 »

Now I know why scum don't scumhunt. I always seem to be right when it's of least benefit to me, since I'm assuming that Guardian thought I was a cop due to my relentless pursuit of him on day 1.

In retrospect, I did kind of crappify that claim. I was just trying to live through to night and force the goblins to NK me. Damn Thesp and his dayvigs!

I really wish that I'd had CES and Primate on my team from the start, rather than getting them in right before my inevitable death. I'm kind of glad I didn't live to the end, though - I really hate scum-dominated endgames.

This was way fun for the couple of days that I managed to hang around. I'd more or less figured out that there wasn't really a twist in this game, but it was profitable to continue to push that angle to prevent a massclaim. Thanks for the awesomeness, Stoofer!
"You were doing well until everyone died."
V/LA most weekends.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1964 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:54 am

Post by The Fonz »

We scumhunted.

Heh, I attacked UA so hard because I was convinced he wouldn't have hinted at a second ability if he were town. I guess CES thought the same.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #1965 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:52 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

The Fonz wrote:We scumhunted.

Heh, I attacked UA so hard because I was convinced he wouldn't have hinted at a second ability if he were town. I guess CES thought the same.
UA got hammered by Thesp before I resurfaced from my sick bed. I actually wasn't sure about UA and I just cheered his lynch to look as bloodthirsty as I usually do.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
Vote: UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #1966 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:56 am

Post by UltimaAvalon »

Why the hell would Pirates be Town? They are very Un-Townlike

Mars is definitely the boner of this game....

followed by UA
AlyG: If he's not a joke account then what is he? He starts bandwagons on himself and insults other people.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1967 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:49 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

The Mod's thoughts

I'm glad that so many of you had fun playing this game, I had fun designing and modding it.

Normally I am very conservative about power roles in my games (see Stoofer's 3rd Law). The purpose of this game was to include as many awesome roles and powers as I could fit into a reasonably sized game. This did cause certain difficulties. As The Fonz said, the game would have benefited from having some more Vanilla Townies. That was also mith's comment when he reviewed the game. I originally wrote the game for 25 players and I didn't want to increase it in size by too many, so I just added one vanilla townie.

I was also heavily influenced by Dead Rikimaru's game, Mafia 69: noXkill. I was hoping for the same thing he got in his game, where out scum was allowed to live; and I wanted to put the scum in the position of knowing who the other scum were but not being able to tell the Town. Like him (but independently of him), I concluded that where the scum have some immunity to cross kills, then the setup should be that if everyone dies, the Town wins.

In the next few posts I'll respond to some of the specific post-game comments that have been made in this thread.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1968 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:50 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Primate wrote:With this many scumkills, and the inability to crosskill, scum can retain parity with the town though.

I think the lack of crosskill rule made it pretty much guaranteed the game would end in a prisoners dilemma, and I'd be interested to know why stoof thought that was a good idea.
One of my aims for this game was to have an interesting endgame. I was hoping that we would get to some sort of situation with multiple scum groups and townies left alive, with the possibilities of deals being struck, double-crossing, etc. I was happy with the way it turned out. It is especially fun to think that if there had been one
fewer
scum bag in the end game, the Town would have lost.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1969 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:51 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

cicero wrote:Sorry about the rule violation, all. It didnt affect the ultimate outcome. Just added a little flavor.

You are completely forgiven and will be welcome in any future game of mine.

I agree it did not change the outcome (which was one of the reasons I felt able to do what I did).
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1970 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

cicero wrote:It was obvious that Stephen Maturin was the proper pirate protector role. The proper scum move - which no one did, was to claim it first. Or to claim exactly the same name as Lawrencelot did and me more emphatic.

I screwed that up first. Fonz and I spent a lot of time coming up with plausible safe claims and Fonz suggested Peter Pan for Pirate Protector. I thought that safe claim was brilliant. What happened though was that I was multitasking and impetuously responded quickly to Lawrencelot's claim when I saw an obscure name that I didnt recognise "Stephen Maturin" and assumed he had done what Fonz and I had done - go looking for things that fit but that were unlikely to be counterclaimed.

AFTER I had posted, I looked up Stephen Maturin and started to hit myself on the head, because I had forgotten about that character from Master and Commander, who is Jack Aubrey's physician and right hand man. It was clearly the real character.
I was amazed that nobody else managed to work out that Stephen Maturin would be the Pirate Protector. For most of the game, after Jack Aubrey died Night 1, I was kicking myself for being so obvious...
cicero wrote:Then CES took me to pieces pointing out something that hadnt occurred to me. That Peter Pan is... kinda gay.
I wouldn't have put it that was myself, but... yes. The Doctor on the other hand is a cool role and I would have put him in the game if I could have.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1971 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:54 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

The Fonz wrote:I'd developed the plan to actually target you the night after we first targetted CES, to prove that we knew who the ninjas were, and that you couldn't win by continuing with the no-lynch and nightkill formula. Then I was going to suggest we lynch Ooba together, target each other at night, then lynch Lawrence the last day. That would still leave me at risk of being screwed by you, but hell, that was still preferable to a town win.

Unfortunately, I didn't get on at all that night to tell Cicero this, so he submitted the CES kill quickly and the game went to day again before I knew about it.
It was a mistake by me not to give the Scum longer to talk that night, and I can understand why it pissed cicero off so much. Sorry. At least I can console myself with the thought that it almost certainly did not affect the final result.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1972 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:55 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

cicero wrote:Yeah. This game rocked. I have to say I loved every minute of it. It was fast paced and more fun than any other game I've played on the site.
The fact that it was fast paced and fun are related. I am getting so bored of games that go on for months and months. I didn't see why any day has to last more than 3-4 weeks; such short deadlines made this game such a success, I believe.

I will be running all my games in this way from now on.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1973 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:56 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:Stoofs, I think the game could've used more mislynchables. It was fairly impossible for the town to have a bad lynching record in this game.
Well, you have a point, but with so many scum, and the difficulty of crosskills, the Town did not have that many days. It pretty much had to lynch scum almost every day in order to win, which justifies the number of confirmable power roles.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1974 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:59 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

ooba wrote:And i think you should have made the scum groups a bit more different i.e maybe removed a goblin finder for the town and had it as a 2 member scum group. A bit of differentiation
Yeah, that is my one real regret about this setup.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”