Newbie 838 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
PorkchopExpress
PorkchopExpress
Goon
PorkchopExpress
Goon
Goon

Post Post #425 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:45 pm

Post by PorkchopExpress »

@Pads: Don't you think that MME (and others) hassling Nik for a LoS is the reason for his analysis posts and him not hammering?
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being The Comedian is the only thing that makes sense."
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #426 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:17 pm

Post by startransmission »

Nikanor wrote:Startrans, what do you think of tubby?
To be honest I have had a mild town read of Tubby for most of the game. A few things do bother me though. While he posts with some frequency, his posts rarely offer much insight. They mostly say things like "I agree with this point" or "waiting for so and so to answer this". There's been some fencesitting as well. When I challenged his unvote of Blue I accepted his response, but after reading your analysis I do see your points on some of the things he's said. Overall, I agree with Porkchop, I'm underwhelmed by his contributions. I've played one other game with him, and I'll have to go back and see if this is something that is consistent or not.

The recent votes have me unsettled. Honestly, at this point there is not one of you that I get any kind of town read from.

@Tubby, why do feel that Nikanor is scum (specifically) and that I am town? You just throw that out there and place a vote- a good case would be nice.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
tubby216
tubby216
Mafia Scum
tubby216
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #427 (ISO) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:18 am

Post by tubby216 »

startransmission wrote:
Nikanor wrote:Startrans, what do you think of tubby?
To be honest I have had a mild town read of Tubby for most of the game. A few things do bother me though. While he posts with some frequency, his posts rarely offer much insight. They mostly say things like "I agree with this point" or "waiting for so and so to answer this". There's been some fencesitting as well. When I challenged his unvote of Blue I accepted his response, but after reading your analysis I do see your points on some of the things he's said. Overall, I agree with Porkchop, I'm underwhelmed by his contributions. I've played one other game with him, and I'll have to go back and see if this is something that is consistent or not.

The recent votes have me unsettled. Honestly, at this point there is not one of you that I get any kind of town read from.

@Tubby, why do feel that Nikanor is scum (specifically) and that I am town? You just throw that out there and place a vote- a good case would be nice.[/quote

don't make cases i fail at making cases,

just the way i read it, nik scum u town
"I swear tubby is scum in every game I've read, even some of the ones he wasn't in. "~Vi
"Whether you love him or hate him, Tubby is an excellent scumhunter."~BM
[b]need 0 replacements for open189 pm me[/b]
Pads
Pads
Goon
Pads
Goon
Goon

Post Post #428 (ISO) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:46 am

Post by Pads »

NIkanor wrote: I'm not quick to hammer by any means. I guess you could say I'm too cautious. You can take a look at my meta if you'd like. I have never hammered as town. Based on my suspicions of tubby late yesterday, I probably never would have hammered, and would have pushed a tubby lynch instead.
But there was none of that. Neither a hammering nor a pushing of another case. The post where you finish off your review of Porkchop strikes me as unnatural because it neither addresses the original issue (your postponed vote on PurplePrincess) nor does it take steps to go down a different path (Tubby). It's a stagnant and destination-less post.

In the worst light, it looks as if, during the end of Day 2, you had 'forgotten' the entire point was to try and lynch a scum, and instead were plainsight lurking, using MME's calls for content as a cover.

With a L-1 wagon looming for a week, you neither denounced it, nor addressed your earlier intention to join it, nor made an effort to distance it. I took no major issue with your analysis on the players, but when it came to actual action, there was nothing. That kind of ambiguousness is where scum can hide, so while playstyle might account for it, so might a scum PM.

I'm trying to see it from your point of view. And I'm trying to understand how a townie, with one week to go before deadline, and with a wagon sitting at L-1, didn't vote, didn't hammer, and didn't try to convince anyone who was voting to vote for someone else. So, let me try something a little different.

Let me know if you feel any of the following are incorrect:

You did not believe hammering PP was a good idea.

You did not believe that the PP wagon should be denounced.

You did not believe that Tubby was scummy enough for you to vote him.

You did not believe that a vote on Tubby was the prudent thing to do.

PorkchopExpress wrote: Rather than waiting for players, why don't you just out with who you think is most likely to be scum at the moment and we can discuss from there? Seems to cut to the chase.
Because I don't like cutting to the chase and revealing my hand, as it were, first thing in the 'morning' before half the players have posted even the most minor of opinions. Revealing everything I"m thinking before anyone else says anything gives scum a free playbook that allows them to pick and choose what they want to barn/attack before they even say two words.

I started out with enough material for a first post, and I'll spill all the beans before we're done, but you don't get everything right up front.

PorkchopExpress wrote: Your analysis of Nik isn't too bad, but a more decisive conclusion might be nice.
I agree, but I'm still working on that. Understanding, or concluding that I don't understand, his behavior at the end of Day 2 will dictate that.

PorchopExpress wrote: Also, considering that you replaced in and hammered immediately as I recall... well, you can't get too worked up about his vote never making it there. Sometimes, it you just aren't quick enough.
I considered that, but PP sat at L-1 for a week.

PorkchopExpress wrote: @Pads: Don't you think that MME (and others) hassling Nik for a LoS is the reason for his analysis posts and him not hammering?
I think it's the reason for his analysis posts. But I'm not so sure that it's the reason that he didn't hammer.

While we're on the subject, is it entirely unreasonable that said hassling resulted in MME's death? Might not scumTubby have been more likely to off Nikanor, his late day assailant? I realize that this takes a turn towards WIFOM land, but sometimes the simplest reasons are the correct ones. For my part, the choice of night kill has not been lightly factored.

As for my thoughts on you, Porkchop, nothing really stands out as overly scummy (with one possible exception, see below) and your interactions with PurplePrincess are all reasonable and make you look town. However, given the bizareness of PurplePrincess' behavior yesterday, that wouldn't take a whole lot.

I'm probably going to give you a pass today as far as my vote is concerned due to one reason: DV7 had you listed as tied for the most scummiest person, and I seriously doubt that he would rate his partner as such. Not to be insulting, but his play didn't strike me as deep enough to do that.

But there is one thing I've been rolling around in my head, and that's the hammer of DV7. If I were his scum partner, I would have wanted him gone, ASAP. The boat was visibily leaking, and getting him out of the game before it got worse would have been paramount.

I don't believe the mystery of whether the accidental hammer was forged is terribly relevant, and besides it was previously and reasonably explored by Nikanor. But what is important is that I think DV7's partner was dying to get rid of him, and very likely bussed him. The last three votes to come down on DV7 were Tubby, Ray Frost, and Porkchop, in that order.

Ray Frost, obviously, was not DV7's partner, so looking at the other two, we see that Porkchop was tied for the most scummiest person on DV7's list, and Tubby was considered the most townie. I'll assume everyone has taken another look at that post since then, because I think it's a very important post.

The whole post makes Tubby look really bad, as does Post 251 (although, I realize that I can look at this post a little differently than you guys can, since I know my alignment).

So, I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, but there are some compelling reasons to vote Tubby. DV7's belief that he was townie, a possible bussing of DV7, the general back-burner impression I get from his play, the misdirection attempts away from DV7, and his lack of content or willingness to make cases today all help give me the confidence to vote Tubby.

I'll leave with one last thought on a factor that will affect my voting choice today. I want to win. But I don't care
when
we win. Today is as good as tomorrow and vice versa. In other words, I'm keeping in mind who is going to go to Lynch or Lose (nightkill permitting) if I vote wrong. We need analytical, active townies to win in Lynch or Lose.

To apply that thought to practical reality: if we vote to lynch Nikanor today, and he's town, I'll feel that we've hurt our chances come Day 4. But if we lynch Tubby, who is unwilling to make cases, and he's town, I'll believe we haven't lost quite as much.
tubby216
tubby216
Mafia Scum
tubby216
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #429 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:07 am

Post by tubby216 »

thats fine pads i'd accept lynching me at this point.

if i am the distraction then i must go
"I swear tubby is scum in every game I've read, even some of the ones he wasn't in. "~Vi
"Whether you love him or hate him, Tubby is an excellent scumhunter."~BM
[b]need 0 replacements for open189 pm me[/b]
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #430 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:25 am

Post by Nikanor »

Pads wrote:But there was none of that. Neither a hammering nor a pushing of another case. The post where you finish off your review of Porkchop strikes me as unnatural because it neither addresses the original issue (your postponed vote on PurplePrincess) nor does it take steps to go down a different path (Tubby). It's a stagnant and destination-less post.
I still had to analyse MME's play, remember.
With a L-1 wagon looming for a week, you neither denounced it, nor addressed your earlier intention to join it, nor made an effort to distance it. I took no major issue with your analysis on the players, but when it came to actual action, there was nothing. That kind of ambiguousness is where scum can hide, so while playstyle might account for it, so might a scum PM.
I also didn't expect someone to come along and hammer it a week before deadline.

I didn't think it was prudent to vote anyone until I was finished my analysis of everyone's play. A vote is supposed to be an indication of who you find most suspicious. Well, I didn't know who I found most suspicious because I hadn't reviewed everyone's play yet. It's true that I probably would have voted and pushed for a tubby lynch yesterday had I been given the chance to analyse MME's behaviour.
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #431 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:31 am

tubby216 wrote:thats fine pads i'd accept lynching me at this point.

if i am the distraction then i must go
This is not cool.

I've had internet problems recently, will post soon.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
PorkchopExpress
PorkchopExpress
Goon
PorkchopExpress
Goon
Goon

Post Post #432 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:32 pm

Look, I'm pretty sure that Tubby is caught scum here.
Vote: Tubby
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being The Comedian is the only thing that makes sense."
Pads
Pads
Goon
Pads
Goon
Goon

Post Post #433 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:54 am

Post by Pads »

So, atleast one townie genuinely thinks Tubby is scum, eh?

I want to re-read a couple things before I toss my hat in the ring. No hammer in the next 24 hours, please.
Pads
Pads
Goon
Pads
Goon
Goon

Post Post #434 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:35 am

Post by Pads »

Nikanor wrote: I still had to analyse MME's play, remember.
No. You didn't have to. It was completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand, as was the Porkchop analysis. It looks like stalling and plainsight lurking to avoid hammering the townie to me.

Nikanor wrote: I didn't think it was prudent to vote anyone until I was finished my analysis of everyone's play. A vote is supposed to be an indication of who you find most suspicious.
This has to be scum talking. Townies are impulsive and self-righteous with their votes, and not so calculating. Especially considering the quick Day 3 vote on a person he wasn't voting for yesterday.

While the Tubby case has merit, I'm going to

vote: Nikanor

Charges include: Rolefishing (let's out the cop), attempting to placate his attackers (for the purposes of slinking away, like he's doing to me, and like he did to MME all of day 2), and the stalling of the Day 2 vote.

I can accept that not everyone lays down a vote at the same speed, but I find his Day 2 play highly suspect, and in complete contrast to what I find to be townie behavior.

@PorkchopExpress - Can you point to the exact moment where everyone concluded that Startrasmission was town? Seems to me that I read it, and agreed with it, but I can't find it now. I ask because I saw he was a proponent of giving Ash a break for his posting style, just as Tubby was, and I wanted a chance to review.

@ Tubby - Something? Anything? Whatever team you're on, surely it would be assisted by your participation. Many of your posts are the echoing of others thoughts, and that may get you my vote if we go up against a deadline. Anything of your own to add on any of the players?
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #435 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:29 pm

So, due to the lack of a defense and an apparent throwing in of the towel I

Vote: tubby216.

His attitude is just too anti-town to be let go. If I had a better candidate I would vote for them. The case against Nikanor is decent, and I'd like to get into Pads a bit. I'm having to remind myself as I read that there can't be any bussing going on, and it's tripping me up.

But for the time being tubby216 is the clear choice for me.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #436 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Pads wrote:This has to be scum talking. Townies are impulsive and self-righteous with their votes, and not so calculating. Especially considering the quick Day 3 vote on a person he wasn't voting for yesterday.
I can see where you're coming from when it comes to tubby. Not hammering purple princess, on the other hand, cannot be considered scummy by even the longest stretch, and I don't see how you are trying to make it seem that way. If I had hammered pp yesterday as soon as I had made a case on her, many of the things tubby had done day one that were scummy would not have been addressed. It could have been the same with MME.
Pads wrote:Rolefishing (let's out the cop)
I've seen that strategy work before in a newbie game. Basically, worst case scenario, the scum hits the doc on that night, then kills the cop the following night going into lylo. Even if the cop's target on n1 was the dead person, and his n2 on the doc, his n3 target will be confirmed, as the scum will be forced to kill the cop. This leaves us with one confirmed townie in 3p lylo in the absolute worst case scenario. If the scum doesn't hit the doc on n2, he loses. I can't believe you've never seen this strategy suggested before.
Pads wrote:attempting to placate his attackers
Stop using words intended to make me look worse, thanks.
And anyway, what would you have me do? I could have totally ignored MME on d2.
Pads wrote:@PorkchopExpress - Can you point to the exact moment where everyone concluded that Startrasmission was town? Seems to me that I read it, and agreed with it, but I can't find it now. I ask because I saw he was a proponent of giving Ash a break for his posting style, just as Tubby was, and I wanted a chance to review.
I mentioned it in one of my posts. Rustyshark completely misrepresented startrans at the beginning of day one, which I cannot see as partnerlike behaviour.
Pads
Pads
Goon
Pads
Goon
Goon

Post Post #437 (ISO) » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:51 am

Post by Pads »

Nikanor wrote: Even if the cop's target on n1 was the dead person, and his n2 on the doc, his n3 target will be confirmed, as the scum will be forced to kill the cop.
I don't think the cop reports his Night 3 findings, since he's dead.

Although I have never seen the strategy used, I understand the potential benefits. I also know it it gives what must be a very worried scum team one less person to choose from when looking for the doc. Potentially, it can be great, of course, but I don't limit its suggestion to townie players. And call me paranoid, but I don't like 'plans' in mafia games.
Nikanor wrote: Stop using words intended to make me look worse, thanks.
If you can think of another word that is more appropriate I'll use it, but placating attackers is a common scum strategy. Stopping the attacker from dragging the scum out in the sunlight, as it were, for all to see, but doing it in such a way that doesn't further agitate the attacker is a pretty good idea for scum. That self-righteous aura that townies tend to get usually causes them to bristle upon being attacked, and it makes for a noticeably different response than a scum trying to get out of the spotlight.
Nikanor wrote: I mentioned it in one of my posts. Rustyshark completely misrepresented startrans at the beginning of day one, which I cannot see as partnerlike behaviour.
I'll give that a look, since I think we're headed to a Day 4, and it certainly looks like Startransmission knows we're headed to a Day 4. I mean, seriously, a townie hammering the person they think is the last scum, which would be for the win, while at the same time saying that they'll look into two other cases?
PorkchopExpress
PorkchopExpress
Goon
PorkchopExpress
Goon
Goon

Post Post #438 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:16 am

Hmm, good catch Pads. I'm going to isoread Startrans, if the worst comes to the worst. (Also, please excuse my absence but I'm working on a portfolio for a graduate course, and I'm experiencing some major disasters.)
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #439 (ISO) » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:27 pm

Post by hohum »

Sorry for my tardiness once again.

I promise I'll stay on top of this game

Final Vote Count:

tubby216(3): Nikanor, Porkchopexpress, startransmission
Nikanor(2): tubby216, Pads

Not Voting(0):

With 5 Alive it takes 3 to lynch

tubby216,
Vanilla Townie,
Lynched, D3

Night actions due in 72 hours
Last edited by hohum on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #440 (ISO) » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:51 am

Post by hohum »

pads,
Vanilla Townie,
Killed, N3.

It is now Day 4. Good luck!
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #441 (ISO) » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Well, that settles a few things for me. I'll hold off on my vote for the time being, but I certainly know where it'll probably be going.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
PorkchopExpress
PorkchopExpress
Goon
PorkchopExpress
Goon
Goon

Post Post #442 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:16 am

I'm not entirely sure how you settled any suspicions from the NK, Star. A reread of Day 1 has me seeing some suspicious behaviour between Rusty/Ash and Carrick16/Nik.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #443 (ISO) » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:08 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Porkchop wrote:I'm not entirely sure how you settled any suspicions from the NK, Star. A reread of Day 1 has me seeing some suspicious behaviour between Rusty/Ash and Carrick16/Nik.
Why do you assume the nk points toward you as scum, Porkchop?
PorkchopExpress
PorkchopExpress
Goon
PorkchopExpress
Goon
Goon

Post Post #444 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:27 am

I'd like you to point out where I made that assumption, Nik.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #445 (ISO) » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:26 am

Post by Nikanor »

The way your sentence is worded implies that you think startrans is looking at you as being guilty for the Pads kill.
I'm not entirely sure how you settled any suspicions from the NK, Star. A reread of Day 1 has me seeing some suspicious behaviour between Rusty/Ash and Carrick16/Nik.
When you say, 'I'm not entirely sure how you settled any suspicions from the nk,' you mean that the nk tells you nothing about who may be scum. Then, you say that you see some 'suspicious behaviour between Rusty/Ash and Carrick/Nik,' on day one. The way you have worded the second sentence makes it seem like you are attempting to form a defence by pointing the finger at me.
PorkchopExpress
PorkchopExpress
Goon
PorkchopExpress
Goon
Goon

Post Post #446 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:58 pm

Wonderful, a vague linguistic argument that actually fails to demonstrate why/how I think the NK implicates me. Trying to link those sentences like that is a stretch on your part. Of course, considering that you emphasised your townie read on Startran, while you passed up the opportunity to analyse me; I can't say that I'm surprised that you're reaching.

At this point, I'd like Startran to throw his hat into the ring. How about some details?
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #447 (ISO) » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:26 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Porkchop wrote:Wonderful, a vague linguistic argument that actually fails to demonstrate why/how I think the NK implicates me. Trying to link those sentences like that is a stretch on your part. Of course, considering that you emphasised your townie read on Startran, while you passed up the opportunity to analyse me; I can't say that I'm surprised that you're reaching.
Pfft. I'm a linguist by nature, so of course I'm going to notice and point out barely noticeable semantic slips, such as the one you have committed.
PorkchopExpress
PorkchopExpress
Goon
PorkchopExpress
Goon
Goon

Post Post #448 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:20 am

Ok, Star is long overdue for a prod.
PorkchopExpress
PorkchopExpress
Goon
PorkchopExpress
Goon
Goon

Post Post #449 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:22 am

Lurking at this point, especially in light of his first post strikes me as fairly scummy.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”