Newbie 838 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Newbie 838 (Game Over!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:29 pm

Post by hohum »

You awaken to the hustle and bustle of your home town’s daily activity. Little did you know that the peaceful quiet of your normal, everyday life would come crashing down today. It seems that one of your fellow citizens has angered the Mob, and has paid for it with his life! What are you going to do? Why, you’re going to get your peaceful, little town back, that’s what…

Your job, fair citizens of the town’s Ruling Council, is to discover who among you belong to the Mafia and summarily lynch them. Two of your fellow Council members are working for the Mafia - find them before they take over the Council and the town!

General Information

Welcome to Newbie 838! Please take some time to familiarize yourself with all the rules and game literature in the 2nd post of this thread. Please remember to check back here often for updates and READ your role PMs carefully.

If you have any questions or concerns please try to post them in-topic first and let one of the ICs try to answer your question. If the ICs aren't helpful you may PM me.

The following players have fulfilled their win condition: (7)

MiteyMouse
starttransmission
Hulk
Vanilla Townie
, Survived
PorkchopExpress
Crunchi
Vanilla Townie
, Survived

RayFrost
Vanilla Townie
, Killed, N1
Purple Princess,
Vanilla Townie
, Lynched, D2
My Milked Eek
Vanilla Townie
, Killed, N2
tubby216
bigmc109
Vanilla Townie,
Lynched, D3
pads
BlueRaven
Echo
Vanilla Townie
, Killed, N3

indicates IC player.
The ICs are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.

^
indicates semi-experienced player.
bold
indicates confirmed.

Thanks for playing! But maybe next time(2):

david-villa-7
rustyshark
Mafia Roleblocker
, lynched, D1
Nikanor
Carrick16
Mafia Goon
]/b], Lynched, D4
Last edited by hohum on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 17 times in total.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:30 pm

Post by hohum »

Rules

The Golden Rule

1. While it is understandable that on occasion tempers may flare, please remeber that this is a game. Please
have fun
be respectful
of your fellow players and
try not to take anything personally

General Game Play and Etiquette

2. Please remember that
when you signed up for this game you made a commitment.
Be courteous to your mod and your fellow players and let us know when you are leaving for an extended period of time.
If you can't commit, it's OKAY to ASK to be replaced, but please don't make me hunt you down!

3. Please try to maintain more than the minimum standard for activity levels which is currently 1 post every 48 hours. If you go 48 hours without posting you will be prodded (as many times as necessary) and if you go 72 hours without posting you will be replaced. Exceptions will be made for low activity periods such as weekends and holidays.

4. Do not quote your role PMs or any private communication with the moderator in any way.

5. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.

6. Do not talking about this or any other ongoing games on MS outside of their respective game threads for any reason unless your role PMs specifically allow you to do so.

7. I am fallible. While I strive not to make mistakes, they do occasionally happen. Please politely correct me if you spot one.

8. Once the game is over I will post links to the QT thread. If you have an issue with this please let me know in advance.

Blue
is my color. Please don't use it.

Voting and Lynching and Deadlines

10. Votes must take the form of
Vote: Player
and similarly
Unvote
. It isn't necessary to
Unvote
every time but it would be appreciated by your mod and your fellow players for clarity's sake.

11. If you need to grab my attention for any reason please throw an
@Mod: statement
in your post.

12. This game will be run with fixed 3 week deadlines for days. Night-time deadlines will always be 72 hours.

13. In the event a lynch consensus is not reached by deadline, the player with the most votes will be lynched. In the event of a tie, the player which reached the most votes first will be lynched.

14. One daytime deadline extension of up to one week may be granted at the moderator's discretion in extreme circumstances and only if activity levels aren't impairing game progress.

15. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.

16. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.

17. Whenever a player has reached a simple majority of votes he/she will be considered lynched and the game will roll over into twilight phase. Twilight will last until I post a death scene and lock the topic

18. During twilight you may talk amongst yourselves; however, no further
Vote
or [/b]Unvote[/b] will be counted. Once the hammer has dropped, it cannot be undone, so vote wisely.

19. When you are killed you are allowed 1 post which may contain no other characters, letters, words or phrases besides "Bah" and/or "Go Town." Please refrain from doing even this unless absolutely necessary.

Helpful Links:

• This game uses the F11 Setup. It consists of four variations, chosen at random:

• 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.

Sample Role PMs

The Mafia Roleblocker wrote:You are a , along with your partner _________ (who is simply a Goon). Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched.

You may talk with your partner at Night, and send me a choice via PM of who you would like to kill/roleblock (your team can do both if both of you live; if only you survive, you must choose one action or the other).

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no night actions will take place until Night One. For your convenience I have set up the following Quick Topic Thread which you may optionally use to communicate at night with your partner

The Mafia Goon wrote:You are a , along with your partner _________ Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched.

You may talk with your partner at Night, and send me a choice via PM of who you would like to kill.

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no night actions will take place until Night One. For your convenience I have set up the following Quick Topic Thread which you may optionally use to communicate at night with your partner

The Doctor wrote:You are the , and you can protect people from harm. Each Night, you may send me a choice via PM of who to protect; if they come under attack by the Mafia, they will live. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and try to lynch correctly during the Day.

Note: Doctors are 100% effective in Newbie Games (the person they protect will never die on the night they are protected). You may not protect yourself.

The Cop wrote:You are the , and you can tell good from bad. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; I will let you know if your investigation shows that they are Mafia or Town. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and lynch well during the Day.

Note: Cops always get a correct result in Newbie Games (no sanity issues). You cannot investigate yourself.

Vanilla Townie wrote:You are a , and you've got no special powers at Night. No investigations, no protection, no gun to shoot people. Your only powers are the ability to post, vote, and think. Help lynch Mafia during the Day, and you will win the game, along with the rest of the Town.
bigmc109
bigmc109
Goon
bigmc109
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Post by bigmc109 »

/confirm
Show
[b]Record: 2-1
[color=green]Town: 1-0[/color]
[color=red]Mafia: 1-1[/color]
Other: 0-0[/b]

[i][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13846]Mini 951 - Prison Mafia[/url] needs [b]1 replacement[/b].[/i]
rustyshark
rustyshark
Townie
rustyshark
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Post by rustyshark »

confirm
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by My Milked Eek »

/confirm
Eek
!
Echo
Echo
Goon
Echo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:33 pm

Post by Echo »

confirmed
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:44 pm

Post by RayFrost »

/confirm
don't you feel silly now?
Crunchi
Crunchi
Townie
Crunchi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Post by Crunchi »

/confirm
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Post by purple princess »

/confirm
Carrick16
Carrick16
Townie
Carrick16
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:15 pm

Post by Carrick16 »

/confirm
Hulk
Hulk
Townie
Hulk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:39 am

Post by Hulk »

/confirm
Anyone got a cookie?
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:13 am

Post by My Milked Eek »

And that's everyone if I counted correctly.

[start copy paste]
Hi, I'm My Milked Eek and I'm your IC. I'm here to show you the ropes and to help you get acquainted to the rules of Mafia and the flow of the game as played on mafiascum.net.

Being an IC doesn't mean I'm better at this game, nor does it mean I tell absolute truths when
playing
the game. I will be honest when
explaining
rules and tactics. This means I have two roles in this game: the role I got from the moderator and the role of IC as outlined in this article.

If you're confused about anything in the game, do not hesitate to address me. After all, that's why I'm here.

>> Links
I'd link to the newbie guide and such, but the mod has taken the liberty to do that already, so I'll only provide the above link. It's a bit more advanced than the links already provided and is by no means necessary literature, but it's a very convenient site to improve your logic skills and also a very interesting read. I suggest checking it out during the course of the game.

This being said, good luck to all and enjoy your game.
Eek
!
Hulk
Hulk
Townie
Hulk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:27 am

Post by Hulk »

Got it.
Anyone got a cookie?
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:06 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Hey, MME, which of the following type of IC are you:

one that prefers the RVS

or

one that prefers asking questions instead of the RVS

Why do you prefer one over the other?

And if you prefer the RVS, why not start us off? :)
bigmc109
bigmc109
Goon
bigmc109
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:20 pm

Post by bigmc109 »

Vote: Echo

Because I don't subscribe to the gambler's fallacy.
Show
[b]Record: 2-1
[color=green]Town: 1-0[/color]
[color=red]Mafia: 1-1[/color]
Other: 0-0[/b]

[i][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13846]Mini 951 - Prison Mafia[/url] needs [b]1 replacement[/b].[/i]
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:52 pm

Post by My Milked Eek »

RayFrost wrote:Hey, MME, which of the following type of IC are you:

one that prefers the RVS

or

one that prefers asking questions instead of the RVS

Why do you prefer one over the other?

And if you prefer the RVS, why not start us off? :)
I'm a player who prefers a short rvs. Preferably a post or 5-7. I usually spot something off in the first page and go from there. Asking questions, as you are doing now, feels a bit awkward and forced imo and an outdrawn rvs feels even more awkward. Blame my first game here which had a one post rvs.

And I didn't start because I grabbed a shower and fell asleep right after dinner.
Eek
!
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:55 pm

Post by RayFrost »

I wasn't asking why you didn't start it. I was asking if you would be kind enough to do so, my bad on the ambiguity.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:55 pm

Post by RayFrost »

and on that note:

vote: purple princess
because peach is pink!
Echo
Echo
Goon
Echo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:09 pm

Post by Echo »

vote hulk
for being last confirmed >:
Carrick16
Carrick16
Townie
Carrick16
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:34 pm

Post by Carrick16 »

vote RayFrost
for trying a bit too hard.
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:50 pm

Post by purple princess »

Hey Guys,

Can I just ask everybody, what sort of expeience you have at playing Mafia?

VOTE HULK
for not having an avatar :)
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:39 pm

Post by RayFrost »

For mafia experience:

finished: newbie 815

ongoing: newbie 832 & 838, hoopla's seaside mafia (little italy), and slicey's pokemon mafia (coney island)

This is actually the only game I've ever been in where I didn't replace somebody XD
Hulk
Hulk
Townie
Hulk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:54 am

Post by Hulk »

Vote: Echo
for being too hard on the noob. (me)[/b]
Anyone got a cookie?
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:21 am

Post by My Milked Eek »

RayFrost wrote:and on that note:

vote: purple princess
because peach is pink!
Ok, so first you ask me what I think of the RVS, right?
By this you are trying (or so I perceive) to not have an RVS. Correct?
Why are you random voting?

Vote: RayFrost

princess wrote:Can I just ask everybody, what sort of expeience you have at playing Mafia?
Sure.

17 finished games.
Of which I won 10, 1 got abandoned and I lost 6 games.
Eek
!
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:25 am

Post by RayFrost »

I am just asking due to different IC opinions ._." I want as many experienced opinions and reasons for why people would want to avoid the RVS as possible before making my own educated decision on it. I don't mind either way for the RVS, at this time. Thus, I actually did participate in the RVS, since it had started in this game anyway.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”