Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:24 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

ChiefSkye4 wrote:Admittedly, the choice of the word "distracting" was incorrect of me. I meant to insinuate something to the effect of what WLC did in post 65:
WLC wrote:possibly DD and DDD are both scum and with DDD running DD's lynch might clear DDD in the long run. But that second theory is a bit farfetched for now.
I apologize for my mistake in word choice. Anyway...
It happens, in fact it happens here later. Anyways, I wouldn't complain if we're both scum as I'd basically be handing you a free lynch.
Out of curiosity, doesn't this sort of take the "random" out of the situation? In other words, "it's random on the basis of his bad playing"?
Perhaps random isn't the word I wanted, but instead pre-determined. It could be random, but as long as the lynch is pre-determined and not swayed by the contents of the game then the random assignment of roles is enough to make the math work.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:33 am

Post by Kairyuu »

@DDD:
Perhaps random isn't the word I wanted, but instead pre-determined. It could be random, but as long as the lynch is pre-determined and not swayed by the contents of the game then the random assignment of roles is enough to make the math work.

The math doesn't work regardless of how you want to set it up, because it is inherently biased simply by the fact that
you
, a
player in this game
are suggesting it. If you are town, you are wagering the entirety of D1 on Data being a VI and needing to die. If you are scum, you can have any number of motives for pushing this garbage. We cannot trust your idea (neglecting the fact that the numbers point to it being a very bad idea) regardless of how you try to present it because you are biased from having a stake in the outcome.
Because, no matter how you dress it up, that's what the world is. A community of idiots doing a series of things until the world explodes and we all die.
ChiefSkye4
ChiefSkye4
Goon
ChiefSkye4
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:35 am

Post by ChiefSkye4 »

Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:
Out of curiosity, doesn't this sort of take the "random" out of the situation? In other words, "it's random on the basis of his bad playing"?
I find that my response to that has already been posted.
VP wrote:The plan you are presenting about us lynching data while still having some sort of side discussion, again, does not make much sense to me. So, you are saying that we continue to look for someone scummy, narrow it down...and then let them live? How does this make sense? If someone acts scummy, you lynch them. If data ends up being the scummiest player at the end of Day 1, then by all means lets get out the rope, but we can't possibly know that until we get to that point. Plus, I think the scum would be much less likely to make errors if they knew 100% for sure that they weren't going to be killed today.
Kairyuu wrote:SO DDD, essentially you are saying "Let's not play mafia. Instead, let's turn the game into the random bullshit that many critics call the game, because that way we don't have to worry about competing with the scum, only the odds." Sorry, but that is just stupid, and there is no way I will ever go along with that.
Vote: Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:07 pm

Kairyuu wrote:SO DDD, essentially you are saying "Let's not play mafia. Instead, let's turn the game into the random bullshit that many critics call the game, because that way we don't have to worry about competing with the scum, only the odds." Sorry, but that is just stupid, and there is no way I will ever go along with that.
This is hilarious, you're so protective of the sanctity of the game that you'll chose sub-optimum strategy just to spite change. And I never claimed this was optimum strategy for anything besides day one where the town has limited information to go off of.
Point 1:
No lynch is truly random. You decided, based on your own subjective reasoning, that Datadanne is the best D1 lynch. That
automatically
moves us straight to the semi-informed lynching that you are trying to avoid (note: keeping the town from getting information by playing the odds instead of the game is anti-town).
You're partially correct, but the lynch doesn't have to be random, just pre-determined and not influenced by the current game itself. Since nothing datadanne does will move my vote (if I can convince people to adopt this plan) then it meets the criteria of pre-determined.
Point 2:
We do not know your motives, and therefore do not know if we can trust you or not. That right there will also push us away from the randomness you want to use. The only real way to get something random is if the mod or some unbiased observer rolls a die and we lynch the player whose number comes up. Besides the fact that that is foolish to the extreme and goes against the point of the game, SP wouldn't allow something like that methinks.
You shouldn't trust me; however as I mentioned true randomness is not necessary for the theory to hold, only that the subject be chosen and that selection unaffected by present game behavior. As for sussing out my motives, well I guess you'll have to do this thing called "play mafia" which you seemed real gung-ho on before to try and figure out what my possible motives could be, it appears WLC and CS4 have already started this fun endeavor.
Point 3:
You are willing to push for a lynch that you claim yourself has only a 25% chance of hitting scum, and which will leave us just as much in the dark as we are now based on wagons, debate, and reactions/voting patterns. This essentially puts us into D2 with one or more people dead, but no new information to help power roles make choices N1 or for us to work with D2 without said power roles claiming with results, which would be stupid.
NO IT WON'T, read my fucking posts instead of parroting the same tired lines. The proposal to lynch Datadanne is contingent upon the day continuing as much as normal so that we do have all that same information, but in the end declaring where your vote would've gone and voting for datadanne anyways. I agree, if we all just voted for datadanne right now that would be a terrible idea, but that's not what I'm suggesting.
Please explain to me exactly how this lynch you are proposing will benefit the town more than it will the scum. If you can convince me, I'll move my vote off of you.
unvote
and
vote:DDD
Please explain to me how my behavior is that of scum and you're not simply moving your vote on to an easy town target. But the gist of my arguments are included at the bottom of this post.
In regards to my sample set, I could go through all of the games I have ever played in and/or read and/or been told about and give you exact numbers, but I won't, because that would take me several hours and would clutter the thread with 100+ games, including quite a few that don't even apply (really old games where the meta was totally different or games like Bad Idea Mafia that have totally different play mechanics). As I said before, those are just some of the more recent games and those that popped into my head specifically.
I understand, but it's only by doing that or a random sample will your data be useful in statistical analysis.
I can say similar things about your sample set as well though. You have given an unsupported number and expected us to believe that, not only are you telling the truth, that those are all of the games you have read and you are not skewing your own sample to suit your desired result.
Correct, I don't have hard verification of this, I wish I did. I only can assume that the experience of others has been somewhat similar.
How about this, do what you did with VP. Add my sample to yours and his. That brings you up to 11/34, which is 32.35%, and invalidates your own argument. I doubt you will do that though, since VP's sample was so small that it would have no real effect on your numbers, and mine is large enough to make a difference.
I didn't include your numbers because you admit that you cherry picked your data to support your opinion. Now I get that you're suggesting the same of me (not true, but maybe this will assuage your fears), but if we look at the games I've played only which is verifiable if you like the number is 0/6, add on VP's verifiable 1/3 and we're at 1/9 or 11%, still not even half as good as a random lynch.

*****IF YOU READ ANYTHING READ THE BELOW*****

The Lynch: By lynching a random or pre-determined target on day one the projected success rate is better than the rate from the semi-informed guesswork that usually constitutes day one.

Loss of Information: But how do we prevent the loss of information that pushing a pre-determined lynch would invariably create? We do as I proposed, continue the day relatively normally investigating and poking and prodding. We use a device such as
Pseudo-Vote: XYZ
to indicate voting intent so that voting trends can be monitored as before. Only when a majority of people feel that enough information has been collected that they cast a final pseudo-vote and really vote for the target.

Failsafe: Even though we've improved the lynch success rate there's still a strong likelihood of lynching a townie of some stripe. Hence, this is where a selection of target occurs, choosing the player least likely to damage the town's chances of winning. Since this is a theme game with bastard roles it's foolish to attempt to outguess the mod on roles, so the criteria should be scumhunting ability and ability to withstand scrutiny so as not to be run down by scum as an easy target.

The first two pieces are true regardless of who the selected target is, it’s only the fact that I’ve built a relative safeguard into the process to prevent the town from losing it’s more valuable pieces that datadanne is selected.
Nocmen
Nocmen
meep meep
Nocmen
meep meep
meep meep

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:33 pm

Post by Nocmen »

How do we decide when we get rid of pseudo votes and end the day? Why can't we just proceed the day on normally, looking at each post normally, and then end up voting for Datadanne (not saying I'm promoting that, I'm just making another way of doing things DDD's way).

I am well aware of the fact that we can't be failsafe, hell we can barely be certain about any lynch. But there are other possibilities besides voting for someone you think would damage the town. I try and take each game on its own little basis, leaving and ignoring personal vendettas and criticisms of play style to the game they occur in. I agree that Datadanne hasn't been too helpful, but because I'm only looking at this game, I'm now in a guessing game with the mod, one that I'm not going to try and play right now.

This game is built around a town working together and winning on it's own, not you making "safeguards", because then it sounds like you're working on your own.

Mafia is not a game of statistics past the balancing done by the mod. It is about numbers, but only the ones that allow the town to win.
ChiefSkye4
ChiefSkye4
Goon
ChiefSkye4
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Post by ChiefSkye4 »

Nocmen wrote:
Mafia is not a game of statistics past the balancing done by the mod. It is about numbers, but only the ones that allow the town to win.
Pure win.
Shinnen_no_Me
Shinnen_no_Me
Goon
Shinnen_no_Me
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:23 pm

Post by Shinnen_no_Me »

DDD, how if we follow your advice, but instead of a "predetermined" DD lynch, we lynch you instead? You wouldn't like it, isn't it?

You are just pushing a lynching just for the sake of lynching someone, without arguments (other than meta) of any sort. That, my friend, is clearly scum. DD may not be helping the town, but at least he's not screaming "I'm mafia" like you are.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:33 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

Also of note:
DDD wrote:Random chance should yield a correct lynch ratio of around 25%
I don't like you backing out of saying it's random because that seemed to be an important part of your argument, and random in this particular game would yield an 8.33% chance of lynching scum--not 25%. I'm curious where you even got that number from.
DDD wrote: if we look at the games I've played only which is verifiable if you like the number is 0/6, add on VP's verifiable 1/3 and we're at 1/9 or 11%, still not even half as good as a random lynch.
so based on the actual numbers, we do statistically have a better chance of lynching via logic than random voting.

Also, everyone should be aware that DDD is currently at L-1. Please mind your votes.

Weyouns, please answer my earlier questions about double posting and if you think it is a scumtell.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:35 pm

Sorry for the cutdown, but I can't respond to everything, especially when I'm making the same points again and again.
The game you describe with him as doc does sound awful, but who's to say he didn't learn from that. If he does play that awful then his lynch is inevitable.
Because while he didn't pull the same exact stunt in his second game (he wasn't afforded the opportunity) he was again lynched as doctor in his second newbie game, and his behavior though role unconfirmed as the game is ongoing is fundamentally the same in the third of his newbie games. I'm loath to use this game, but I clearly predicted he would OMGUS me and his behavior in that post is typical of what been seen in the past.
You're trying to proffer this data lynch as truly random, and that is utterly false. You are basing it off of his meta and the limited posts he made in this game (he was gone on LA this weekend remember?)
False, the lynch is random in that it is not affected by the contents of this game; datadanne's selection as the fail safe was based on my previous experiences with him (not this game).
Furthermore, you somehow feel that your experience of six games on MS is somehow representative of the site in general. This is highly doubtful and noone has any reason to believe it is. While I appreciate you have a unique theory and are trying a different approach, without a substansive bit of research (ie cross-section of hundreds of different games) there is no way to tell if your hypothesis is statistically accurate.
This is a decent argument and I understand your willingness to consider only the six games I've been involved in, but my reading experiences as well do run up to an 0/21 record which is statistically significant compared to the expected return of 5/21. As it stands it's not as if there's been evidence presented that refutes my claim with research of the caliber that's being expected of me. I can only play off my experiences and they suggest that this is optimum strategy. The ironic thing is that my lynch would only corroborate my theory.
The plan you are presenting about us lynching data while still having some sort of side discussion, again, does not make much sense to me. So, you are saying that we continue to look for someone scummy, narrow it down...and then let them live? How does this make sense? If someone acts scummy, you lynch them. If data ends up being the scummiest player at the end of Day 1, then by all means lets get out the rope, but we can't possibly know that until we get to that point. Plus, I think the scum would be much less likely to make errors if they knew 100% for sure that they weren't going to be killed today.
How sure are you ever that you have the correct lynch, especially on day one? I've never terribly certain, usually it's a matter of finding the best choice which is far from a good one and miles away from the best one. Furthermore, I suggest that in the hindsight of night actions and early day two interactions the information on the first day will have context so that pieces start to fit together better. And I disagree with the last point, if scum know they won't be lynched they're more likely to be lax and make some sort of mistake.
Well that is..just...wrong. Info can be garnered from who is on the wagon, how passionately they push it, when they vote, and for what reasons. Are you not providing an even easier cover than might normally happen by pushing a policy lynch ?
Surely you've seen players like Datadanne before... empking, zwet, millar? People easily hop on their wagon because their play is consistently anti-town and annoying and no one objects since they are the most anti-town player in the game and afterwards there's nothing for anyone to say because everyone agreed the play was terrible.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Shinnen_no_Me wrote:DDD, how if we follow your advice, but instead of a "predetermined" DD lynch, we lynch you instead? You wouldn't like it, isn't it?

You are just pushing a lynching just for the sake of lynching someone, without arguments (other than meta) of any sort. That, my friend, is clearly scum. DD may not be helping the town, but at least he's not screaming "I'm mafia" like you are.
I wouldn't like it, of course not. But if the decision was made and it truly was random/uninfluenced by this game, I would understand it as near optimum play for the town.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Alright, alright, I get it. No one wants to push the boundaries of strategy, as a sign that I'm done with pushing the idea
Unvote

I feel rather uncomfortable at L-1 (if that is indeed where I am) and promise to put together a cognizant defense of myself over the next few hours and to place questions to other people, but I'd appreciate a single unvote so that a drive-by lynching can't happen and hurt the town, especially so early. Someone who made a point of needing information from day one and my plan hurting that should unvote, because a quick lynch on page four would be the epitome of that problem and you'd be a hypocrite to allow me to be quick lynched while talking down my previous plan.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

OK DDD, I understand what you are saying about players like that being annoying. I just finished a game with zwet and he cost the town a win because I subbed in at lylo and he looked the scummiest. He was lynched and Mafia got an easy win. I totally understand that it is frustrating, but in a 12 player game I (and it seems most of the other players) feel that policy lynching, disguised as random lynching, is truly the sub-optimal strategy.

Also, we have a number of players not even discussing at this point. I think they need to make some substantial posts in the very near future.
YOUR AD HERE

VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:05 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

ok, granted.
Unvote
YOUR AD HERE

Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:15 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@DDD:
This is hilarious, you're so protective of the sanctity of the game that you'll chose sub-optimum strategy just to spite change. And I never claimed this was optimum strategy for anything besides day one where the town has limited information to go off of
Why yes, I am protective of the sanctity of the game. I come to this site to play mafia, not to act as a mere name in a statistical analysis.

That said, your strategy is sub-optimal even for D1, regardless of the amount of times you claim that ~25% (which is not the actual number, though you are ignoring this) is better than an arbitrary number that is directly proportional to the ratio of the skill of the town to the skill of the scum. If we play well and the scum play poorly, our scum catching % goes up, if both sides play well then it remains about the same, and if we play poorly, but the scum plays well, then the % goes down. Your proposal is only optimal in one of those three situations, and I, for one, will not assume a stupid town and a smart scumgroup when my play is a factor in the numbers. I'd rather play my best and go off of actual skill than pseudo-random chance.
You're partially correct, but the lynch doesn't have to be random, just pre-determined and not influenced by the current game itself. Since nothing datadanne does will move my vote (if I can convince people to adopt this plan) then it meets the criteria of pre-determined.
So you are still ignoring the fact that your stake in this game automatically makes any and all decisions you make biased towards advancing the win condition of your faction. The decision on your part to pick data was directly influenced by the role pm you received from the mod telling you what your role is, and the information you gained from that. Your argument does not hold up in this specific point, which is the crux of your entire plan, and falls apart virtually everywhere else as well.
You shouldn't trust me; however as I mentioned true randomness is not necessary for the theory to hold, only that the subject be chosen and that selection unaffected by present game behavior.
see above
As for sussing out my motives, well I guess you'll have to do this thing called "play mafia" which you seemed real gung-ho on before to try and figure out what my possible motives could be, it appears WLC and CS4 have already started this fun endeavor.
So you are admitting to being anti-town? Thanks for clarifying. You should show by your actions that you are town, not expect others to guess at your motives while you do whatever the hell you want. Mafia is a team game, but you don't seem to be here to play it. I suggest you either get this foolish notion that anyone will agree with you out of your head and start trying to find the scum, or accept the fact that your idea hurts the town and helps the scum, which means you deserve to be lynched for it.
NO IT WON'T, read my fucking posts instead of parroting the same tired lines.
The "tired lines" are correct. Your suggestion is foolish. This will remain true no matter how many times you say we are wrong. No one agrees with you, and the reasons for disagreeing with you hold more water than your plan. Argument from repetition is not going to make you right.
The proposal to lynch Datadanne is contingent upon the day continuing as much as normal so that we do have all that same information, but in the end declaring where your vote would've gone and voting for datadanne anyways
Someone mentioned this already (too lazy to look up who), but what you are suggesting here is that we play out a normal D1, determine who is the scummiest and should be lynched, and then leave them alive in favor of your "random" lynch. How on earth is that in any way productive. It is still a waste of a Day, because if said person we "pseudo-string up" is scum, we will have to waste an entire Day not lynching him, and then have to get around to it eventually anyway. Your plan is counter intuitive and fails to make any logical sense.
I agree, if we all just voted for datadanne right now that would be a terrible idea, but that's not what I'm suggesting.
The methods are different but the results are the same. You still advocate lynching an unhelpful player "randomly" over lynching a scummy player for being scummy. Are you actually reading what you are posting?
Please explain to me how my behavior is that of scum and you're not simply moving your vote on to an easy town target.
Did you not read my question or something? Your method benefits the scum while hurting the town. This is inherently scummy, and therefore makes you more likely to be scum. You are a very vocal proponent of your idea, and are not afraid to get your hands dirty in an argument. How does that make you an easy target?
I understand, but it's only by doing that or a random sample will your data be useful in statistical analysis.
Fine. I will go through tomorrow and pick a site area to take every single game from page two and compile a sample set based on that. We will use that as the unbiased set, because it includes an indexing of games, not just nitpicking.
Correct, I don't have hard verification of this, I wish I did. I only can assume that the experience of others has been somewhat similar.
Mine hasn't, obviously. When I'm not scum I notice that the town has a tendency to lynch scum D1 ~30-40% of the time. It is really quite a bit more nuanced than you are arguing it to be. With a crappy player set you are more likely to see townies acting scummy because they don't know better, but in a strong set you can expect good play from everyone that drastically lowers the amount of scummy actions committed by townies.
I didn't include your numbers because you admit that you cherry picked your data to support your opinion. Now I get that you're suggesting the same of me (not true, but maybe this will assuage your fears), but if we look at the games I've played only which is verifiable if you like the number is 0/6, add on VP's verifiable 1/3 and we're at 1/9 or 11%, still not even half as good as a random lynch.
This is a perfect illustration of my point. The games you played in had a 0% scum catching rate on D1, which is rather poor. However, you need to take into account the types of games played, the level of play, the identities of the scum, etc. to determine the actual reason why there was not a successful lynch D1.

On the other hand, if you look at VP's sample in isolation you have a 33% rate, which is a pretty decent bit better than the random 25% rate you want to shoot for. The same variables apply to VP's sample set as well. He said himself that in the game where there was a successful lynch D1 the townies used strong logic to round up VP's buddy.

You are altering the data and the sample sets to make it look like you are right, when simply viewing in isolation changes the perspective completely.
The Lynch: By lynching a random or pre-determined target on day one the projected success rate is better than the rate from the semi-informed guesswork that usually constitutes day one.
This is a totally unverifiable subjective opinion.
Loss of Information: But how do we prevent the loss of information that pushing a pre-determined lynch would invariably create? We do as I proposed, continue the day relatively normally investigating and poking and prodding. We use a device such as Pseudo-Vote: XYZ to indicate voting intent so that voting trends can be monitored as before. Only when a majority of people feel that enough information has been collected that they cast a final pseudo-vote and really vote for the target.
And then we are left D2 with the exact same scummy player still alive and no information about whether or not he was scum.
Failsafe: Even though we've improved the lynch success rate there's still a strong likelihood of lynching a townie of some stripe. Hence, this is where a selection of target occurs, choosing the player least likely to damage the town's chances of winning. Since this is a theme game with bastard roles it's foolish to attempt to outguess the mod on roles, so the criteria should be scumhunting ability and ability to withstand scrutiny so as not to be run down by scum as an easy target.
So because he's a VI we can lynch him without hurting the town if he flips town? Wrong. We will lose one player guaranteed, and may lose more during the Night. That cuts our majority and puts us a Day closer to lylo. Hardly an example of not hurting the town.
The first two pieces are true regardless of who the selected target is, it’s only the fact that I’ve built a relative safeguard into the process to prevent the town from losing it’s more valuable pieces that datadanne is selected.
The fact that you need to build a safeguard into your plan shows that you do not have confidence that you plan will work, and should therefore not be pushing it.

{Preview Edit}

Ok. I missed a decent amount of stuff while typing that up. I'm still gonna leave it in there even though it doesn't quite apply anymore to show my reasoning. There are a few more bits that need attention though.

@VP:
I don't like you backing out of saying it's random because that seemed to be an important part of your argument, and random in this particular game would yield an 8.33% chance of lynching scum--not 25%. I'm curious where you even got that number from.
25% is the number that I would assume is correct as well. Why is it 8.33%.

@DDD:
Surely you've seen players like Datadanne before... empking, zwet, millar? People easily hop on their wagon because their play is consistently anti-town and annoying and no one objects since they are the most anti-town player in the game and afterwards there's nothing for anyone to say because everyone agreed the play was terrible.
As much as I dislike players like that, I prefer not wasting lynches on them. I find that trying to get them involved usefully in the game and then having them get vigged works so much better (and is so much more satisfying). People who lynch VI's for playing like idiots are just too lazy to find a better choice.
No one wants to push the boundaries of strategy
I'm all for pushing the boundaries of strategy, and working against site meta. I do that all the time because of the indecisiveness of most players on this site. However, turning the game into a statistics exercise is not a strategy, but rather an evasion of strategy in favor of luck.
I feel rather uncomfortable at L-1 (if that is indeed where I am) and promise to put together a cognizant defense of myself over the next few hours and to place questions to other people, but I'd appreciate a single unvote so that a drive-by lynching can't happen and hurt the town, especially so early.
Jumpy scum is jumpy now that he realized how close he is to being lynched. That attitude makes me more convinced that you are the best place for my vote. I will not be unvoting.
Someone who made a point of needing information from day one and my plan hurting that should unvote, because a quick lynch on page four would be the epitome of that problem and you'd be a hypocrite to allow me to be quick lynched while talking down my previous plan.
Guilting people into backing off is foolish and scummy. Especially considering that it is common courtesy to allow players at L-1 to speak in their own defense and claim before deciding whether or not to lynch them.

Oh yeah, by the way. L-1. Claim time.
Because, no matter how you dress it up, that's what the world is. A community of idiots doing a series of things until the world explodes and we all die.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

Grrr. Cross posting unvote makes Kai angry. :P
Nocmen
Nocmen
meep meep
Nocmen
meep meep
meep meep

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:32 pm

Post by Nocmen »

VP Baltar wrote:OK DDD, I understand what you are saying about players like that being annoying. I just finished a game with zwet and he cost the town a win because I subbed in at lylo and he looked the scummiest. He was lynched and Mafia got an easy win. I totally understand that it is frustrating, but in a 12 player game I (and it seems most of the other players) feel that policy lynching, disguised as random lynching, is truly the sub-optimal strategy.

Also, we have a number of players not even discussing at this point. I think they need to make some substantial posts in the very near future.
I agree with this completely. I do not want anyone lynched without hearing from every single person first.
SilverPhoenix
SilverPhoenix
Goon
SilverPhoenix
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Post by SilverPhoenix »

The Third Votecount

ChiefSkye4 ~ 2 (
lixyl, Nocmen
)
Datadanne ~ 1
(WeyounsLastClone)

Debonair Danny DiPietro ~ 4
(Datadanne, Shinnen_no_Me, ChiefSkye4, Kairyuu)

Kairyuu ~ 0
lixyl ~ 1
(ortolan)

Nocmen ~ 0
ortolan ~ 0
Shinnen_no_Me ~ 1
(TCold)

TCold ~ 0
VP Baltar ~ 0
WeyounsLastClone ~ 0
Not Voting ~
(VP Baltar, Debonair Danny DiPietro)

With 11 alive, it takes 6 to lynch.

If
lixyl, TCold,
and
ortolan
don't post by the time I check the thread tomorrow, prods will be sent. Also, pies will be thrown.
[i]Currently lurking about...
[/i]
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:39 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

1 divided by 12 (a random picking of who to vote) = 8.33%

I think the correct play at this immediate moment is to give DDD a defense post and wait for the several people who have contributed little to nothing at this point a chance to say something. You rushing the claim is noted though Kairyuu.
YOUR AD HERE

VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:49 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

Well I guess we don't know how many scum are in the game, so the odds would go up appropriately.
SilverPhoenix wrote:Also, pies will be thrown.
Awww, I prefer over cooked waffles or something a little more damaging.
YOUR AD HERE

Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@VP:
1 divided by 12 (a random picking of who to vote) = 8.33%
:? Aren't Minis supposed to have 3 scum? I think the 25% was probably right.
I think the correct play at this immediate moment is to give DDD a defense post and wait for the several people who have contributed little to nothing at this point a chance to say something.
This I agree with, but I won't unvote to do so.
You rushing the claim is noted though Kairyuu.
YAAAAAAY!! Something I did was noteworthy!!

(It's late, so I'm not quite sane. Please excuse my multiple personalities poking through :P 8-) )

In other news, note away. I have nothing to hide. *twitch*
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:01 pm

Anyways, it’s a touch sad that Kairyuu spent presumably all that time putting together than massive all of text after I already conceded the argument. But considering all the grief he’s given me it’s not all that sad. Furthermore, I dislike the whole arguments about mafia not being a game of numbers when it clearly can be. Just because you prefer the psychological bent of the game, doesn’t invalidate the numerical/logical style, but all of that is neither here nor there.

Anyways, I’m more than a bit disappointed that it appears only one person (WLC) went back and looked and explored my possible motives which I think clear things up to a large degree.

If I was scum I see two basic explanations for my actions: one, there are multiple scum and I was bussing a partner in crime. This of course means that I was basically trying to hand over a massive advantage on day one when it simply wouldn’t have been necessary. Considering my ill-fated argument revolved around increasing a first day lynch percentage, it doesn’t quite fit that I’d simply hand away a ~15% advantage for no reason. Second, if I was scum I’d be trying to lynch a townie, but as everyone noted if the plan had occurred and datadanne had flipped town then my ass would’ve been in the fire even more than it was. Neither course of action makes real great sense as scum.

Even disregarding the motives, simply posting such an argument runs contrary to how I understand to and attempt to best play scum, I even acknowledged in post 50 that I was expecting to draw questions and flak. There’s no reason for scum to do something as blatant as that when I could’ve sat back and picked an easy target for easy reasons instead of making life that hard on myself. All in all, the post doesn’t make sense from the perspective of scum.
Kairyuu wrote: Jumpy scum is jumpy now that he realized how close he is to being lynched. That attitude makes me more convinced that you are the best place for my vote. I will not be unvoting.
Null-tell, everyone should be jumpy at L-1 to a certain extent and both pro-town players and scum players should generally try to avoid being lynched. It’s also foolish and more than a little anti-town to say definitively that you won’t be unvoting. First off, it makes it seem as if you’re unwilling to hear any further discussion on the matter, which runs contrary to your information valuing meta. Furthermore, if a better target comes along are you stuck still voting me because you don’t want to seem a hypocrite or does your vote actually move then and makes you a liar?
VP Baltar wrote: I don't like you backing out of saying it's random because that seemed to be an important part of your argument, and random in this particular game would yield an 8.33% chance of lynching scum--not 25%. I'm curious where you even got that number from.
See, my 25% was based off an expectation of 3/12 = 25% and 2/9 = 22% setups as fairly typical, the same math as Kairyuu basically. However, here you definitively state that we’re in a scenario with only one scum. And the only one with that information would be the scum themselves. I hate to do it since you were kind enough to give me some breathing room, but you’ve got some serious explaining to do as how you posses this knowledge that the rest of us seemingly don’t.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:10 am

Post by ortolan »

Weyounslastclone (27) wrote: I kinda dislike double posts. If it were meaningful posts I could live with it, but at the moment his comments on this game seem a bit erratic.
Unpacking this you have two separate attacks here- one for double posting and one for "being erratic". Can you explain how exactly he is being erratic and how double posting in itself is scummy?

The argument against Datadanne is a big reach- especially because 23 was a legitimate question and 25 was a legitimate albeit sparsely stated opinion. Kairyuu's attempt in 36 to tie ChiefSkye4 to Datadanne based on her defending his doing something which is very definitely not clearly scummy is itself scummy.
Nocmen (41) wrote:I will find people scummy for trying to prolong random stage. I will suspect you if you start screwing around and getting us off topic.
This is lacking. At the point where someone actually becomes clearly evasive of questions or is active lurking/clearly not participating it should be obvious to most if not all. You telling us this is nothing new and in fact looks like you're trying to give yourself pre-emptive justification for pouncing on the smallest transgression people may make.
Nocmen (41) wrote:I will not give up a hunch I have because someone trys to get us talking about something else, like the way Chief wants us to talk about Datadanne.
I'm very curious at the connections that seem to be forming, especially centered around Chief.
What's wrong with talking about Datadynne, especially when she was defending him? What exactly piques your curiosity about these "connections" surrounding Chief?
VP Baltar (44) wrote:I don't see datadanne's pointless comments in essentially the RVS as "rather important" (reference 'meh'). What is more important is you agreeing that Datadanne isn't doing anything really scummy and also saying that his attackers also are not scummy. Furthermore, you encourage the rest of the players to comment on this nonsense...ie you're playing both sides and spurring on what i see as a pointless discussion. Is that more clear?
This is a good point.
ChiefSkye4 (45) wrote:Since Datadanne was the major topic of discussion at the time, I chose that to try and get some feedback on, but I'd love to hear anything from the others, on this current situation involving myself, on Datadanne, on anything. Since only about 4 of us out of 11 are contributing, or saying anything at all, rather, I feel that our viewpoints are limitted, and that we're likely to get stuck in a rut.
What do you think other people are likely to say about Datadanne? Why do you feel the need to prompt general discussion, which is assumed to be required in mafia anyhow?

Post 50 is a poor suggestion. Firstly the information you get from day one, genuine, fully-fledged interactions is extremely useful. If there is a pre-determined lynch there's little motivation for scum to defend each other or attack townies so we're unlikely to get any information. Plus we can just ask for his replacement if we think his playstyle is clearly non-contributive and generally anti-town. I have seen little evidence for this so far in this game.

Post 57 is good.

Agreed with 60 that policy lynching him based on evidence from one game is stupid and unfair to him.
DDD (61) wrote:I have not said this, I believe Kairyuu and nocmen to have more experience than me. However, there has not been evidence presented to prove my hypothesis wrong. Baltar only has three games to draw from and Kairyuu did not provide a sample size rendering his list of games currently meaningless. It's not arrogance, it's good science.
Whatever it is it is not good science.
DDD (61) wrote:If there's been a more objective study of this topic (possibly something from MD) and it runs counter to what I've said I'll gladly back off having been proven wrong.
Did you consider that a non-random lynch day one, even if it's more likely to result in a town lynch than a scum lynch (and I don't know whether it is or not) is still potentially useful in that it raises the probability of a successful lynch on later days due to the information gleaned from interactions. Whatever you claim, having a pre-determined lynch will counteract this.
DDD (61) wrote:No it's not. In fact if the meta is correct then I'm doing the town thing to do and everyone who insists on stumbling blindly into a lynch is inadvertently helping scum. Hence to label me scum you need to prove that the meta is incorrect and that it makes sense that I would actually post and support the false meta as scum.
Why? You are advocating an out-of-the-ordinary action which for which there is no readily available relevant data. Thus the onus is on you to prove your statistical determination is valid. Just because people cannot prove you're wrong doesn't necessarily mean you're not scummy for advocating such a deviant strategy from accepted good play with no evidence to support it.
DDD (61) wrote:I'm encouraging he be lynched without a bandwagon because a datadanne bandwagon will provide no information and that we spend the rest of the day on more productive topics of discussion.
This is stupid, why would a bandwagon on him not be likely to provide the expected relevant information? If he is scum then his buddies will defend him, yes, so we gain info about him (although not in your plan)? If he is town then we will get nothing making this plan terrible.
ChiefSkye4 (64) wrote:Well, in my opinion, this sounds like scum distracting us from his scumbuddy. I do agree that we need to give a bit of a rest on Datadanne, yeah, but not to totally let him off the hook, and write off that any further prodding/investigation would "provide no more information."
Wait, what is he on the hook for? Why is he scummy? And why were you defending him earlier? And how is DDD likely to be his scumbuddy if he's defending him?
DDD (67) wrote:You know how silly this sounds? I've spent the last five posts or so advocating a datadanne lynch, I still advocate lynching datadanne. To suggest that I'm distancing from the guy I've constructed my entire argument around lynching is borderline hysterical.
Not distancing but possibly busing. If he happens to die and you're his scumbuddy you would (had we not taken this into account) look very townie for the rest of the game. I don't agree with your re-iterated arguments that we still get info if we pre-plan to lynch Datadanne but I've already said why (by definition we get no info if scum know there are no real stakes).
VP Baltar (73) wrote:The plan you are presenting about us lynching data while still having some sort of side discussion, again, does not make much sense to me. So, you are saying that we continue to look for someone scummy, narrow it down...and then let them live? How does this make sense? If someone acts scummy, you lynch them. If data ends up being the scummiest player at the end of Day 1, then by all means lets get out the rope, but we can't possibly know that until we get to that point. Plus, I think the scum would be much less likely to make errors if they knew 100% for sure that they weren't going to be killed today.
Yep.
VP Balter (82) wrote:I don't like you backing out of saying it's random because that seemed to be an important part of your argument, and random in this particular game would yield an 8.33% chance of lynching scum--not 25%. I'm curious where you even got that number from.
What?
DDD (83) wrote:Surely you've seen players like Datadanne before... empking, zwet, millar?
These first two players are rarely policy-lynched from what I've seen.

88 is generally good, but I'm not sure if this holds much water:
Kairyuu (88) wrote:
I feel rather uncomfortable at L-1 (if that is indeed where I am) and promise to put together a cognizant defense of myself over the next few hours and to place questions to other people, but I'd appreciate a single unvote so that a drive-by lynching can't happen and hurt the town, especially so early.
Jumpy scum is jumpy now that he realized how close he is to being lynched. That attitude makes me more convinced that you are the best place for my vote. I will not be unvoting.
Quickhammers do occur from both townies and scum with varying intentions.
Kairyuu (88) wrote:Guilting people into backing off is foolish and scummy. Especially considering that it is common courtesy to allow players at L-1 to speak in their own defense and claim before deciding whether or not to lynch them.

Oh yeah, by the way. L-1. Claim time.
Scratch that about it being generally good. His plan was sucky yes, I'm not yet sure if it was scummy and he has no reason to claim at this point.
VP Baltar (92) wrote:1 divided by 12 (a random picking of who to vote) = 8.33%

I think the correct play at this immediate moment is to give DDD a defense post and wait for the several people who have contributed little to nothing at this point a chance to say something. You rushing the claim is noted though Kairyuu.
There's probably more than one scum player :P
Kairyuu (94) wrote:
You rushing the claim is noted though Kairyuu.
YAAAAAAY!! Something I did was noteworthy!!

(It's late, so I'm not quite sane. Please excuse my multiple personalities poking through :P 8-) )

In other news, note away. I have nothing to hide. *twitch*
No but seriously, why did you want that claim so prematurely?

Sorry for the long catch-up-post, I will be more consistently active from now :P
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:11 am

Post by ortolan »

Unvote

Vote: Kairyuu
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:36 am

Post by VP Baltar »

@ Kairyuu and DDD

Please see post 93 which immediately followed my blunder of saying it was an 8.33% chance. Well I will just repost the important part for your ease:
VP Baltar wrote:Well I guess we don't know how many scum are in the game, so the odds would go up appropriately.
After making my original post I quickly realized that my math was wrong because it only factored in there being one scum. I have no idea how many there are, but you guys are most likely closer to being correct at 25% than I am. :oops: Guess it is best to think things through before posting.
YOUR AD HERE

WeyounsLastClone
WeyounsLastClone
Mafia Scum
WeyounsLastClone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:21 am

Post by WeyounsLastClone »

First of all, there are 11 players, not 12. Now you could use that as an argument that the ‘random chance’ increases from 25% to 27%, but I don’t believe in random in Mafia. I rather think it means the mafia has a bigger influence.

While I don’t agree with DDD’s approach, I don’t think it warranted a L-1 so early in the game. We would let the thing we wanted to avoid with DD happen to DDD. I think scum was trying to gain momentum against DDD somehow. I also think it’s not time yet to claim for DDD. Requesting he claims at this point is just fishing. What would we gain from knowing his role at the moment? If he’s scum he could make something up that make us hesitate to lynch him, if he’s town and he has an useful role it would leave him vulnerable to scum.

To answer questions on my vision on double posting: I don’t think double posting on its own is a scumtell. I do think however that scum is more likely to double post than town. Scum can only pretend to be town, so they think by themselves ‘am I acting like a townie?’, which makes them go back to their posts and possibly adjust themselves. Also, when the multiple posts are kind of erratic and in different directions, it might point to scum who’s just trying to point out as much as possible so something sticks.
"I wish you hadn't done that."

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”