MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:32 pm

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

Spinach wrote:
Starbuck wrote:The goal of this game is not to vote for yourself. It's to decipher and solve and find out who the scummiest people are.

Voting for yourself is anti-town. It's a stance I will always take because it is against the spirit of the game.
But voting himself stimulated discussion; stimulating discussion helps us find scum, so self-voting (in this situation) is pro-town.
MonkeySudo wrote:
Locke Lamora wrote:Neither do I. Drawing attention to yourself could be used in a pro-town way and helpful in scumhunting later on.
Scumhunting is pro-town. Not scum-hunting is anti-town. It's pretty simple.

I'm suspicious of anyone who thinks self-voting is pro-town generally.
So by your rules, I should FoS everyone for random voting because it is not scumhunting, because doing anything other than scumhunting is anti-town, and FoS you because you wanted to play two truths and a lie, which is certainly not scumhunting.

And I'd like to re-emphasize something I said earlier:
Spinach wrote: Okay. People need to use ONE account to post in games. Please. It makes the game confusing for everyone in it, especially when looking back for post reviews and such. I don't even see the point of having multiple accounts on here, it makes no sense.

Also-also: I've 'prodded' DNW.
I wasn't suggesting the two truths and a lie to avoid scumhunting, merely trying to see what people would think of trying something other than random voting. However, getting the game out of the RVS by voting on yourself is certainly not good play.
Henrz
Henrz
Goon
Henrz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:02 am

Post by Henrz »

Not really, anything that works is good play I think.
What is the point of something?
What is the point of anything?
What is the point of nothing?
Is the point all,everything?
MonkeySudo
MonkeySudo
Townie
MonkeySudo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:55 am

Post by MonkeySudo »

Henrz wrote:Not really, anything that works is good play I think.
If you don't like the RVS, don't RV, don't vote for yourself.
Henrz
Henrz
Goon
Henrz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:51 am

Post by Henrz »

Stop using other accounts... Firstly, I never said I don't like the RVS we just needed to get out of it, and secondly what does the RVS got to do with voting myself?
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:44 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

Henrz wrote:Stop using other accounts... Firstly, I never said I don't like the RVS we just needed to get out of it, and secondly what does the RVS got to do with voting myself?
The other account was an accident. As for the RV, Absolutely nothing, which is why it is scummy. We didn't need to get out of the RVS so badly that you needed to act like scum.
Spinach
Spinach
Goon
Spinach
Goon
Goon

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:00 am

Post by Spinach »

MonkeyMan576 wrote:
Henrz wrote:Stop using other accounts... Firstly, I never said I don't like the RVS we just needed to get out of it, and secondly what does the RVS got to do with voting myself?
The other account was an accident. As for the RV, Absolutely nothing, which is why it is scummy. We didn't need to get out of the RVS so badly that you needed to act like scum.
You've made that 'accident' too many times now.

And I'd like to know how self-voting is scummy besides 'it isn't scumhunting'.
And by that point we were out of the RVS. The game was stalling and nothing was happening.
I'd say we exited the RVS when the first non-random vote came (post 35). Hernz self-voted on post 75, well after the RVS ended and while the game was stalling.
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:18 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

Spinach wrote:
MonkeyMan576 wrote:

And by that point we were out of the RVS. The game was stalling and nothing was happening.
I'd say we exited the RVS when the first non-random vote came (post 35). Hernz self-voted on post 75, well after the RVS ended and while the game was stalling.
If you want to defend self voting as a valid tactic, that's fine. I don't. I think it's anti town. Not necessarily so much scummy, but definately anti town. There's better things we could be doing that will bring better results.
Henrz
Henrz
Goon
Henrz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Post by Henrz »

There's better things we could be doing that will bring better results.
Such as?
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

Henrz wrote:
There's better things we could be doing that will bring better results.
Such as?
Lynching scummy self-voters.
Droideka_11
Droideka_11
Goon
Droideka_11
Goon
Goon

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:03 pm

Post by Droideka_11 »

MonkeyMan576 wrote:
Spinach wrote:
MonkeyMan576 wrote:

If you want to defend self voting as a valid tactic, that's fine. I don't. I think it's anti town. Not necessarily so much scummy, but definately anti town. There's better things we could be doing that will bring better results.
Well, I didn't see you doing anything when the game was stalling Monkey.
[color=darkgreen][b]Morpheus:[/b][/color][color=green] "Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?[/color]
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

Droideka_11 wrote:
MonkeyMan576 wrote:
Spinach wrote:
MonkeyMan576 wrote:

Well, I didn't see you doing anything when the game was stalling Monkey.
I certainly wasn't voting myself.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:55 pm

Post by Starbuck »

Spinach wrote:
MonkeyMan576 wrote:
I agree with this. There's an easy fix. Just don't look at this thread when you are on that account. You said it's your mod account right? I don't really feel comfortable with the fact that you could easily come in and edit your post whenever you feel like it with that account.
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:47 pm

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

I can't edit my post in a mafia game thread either way, but I will endeavor to be more accurate with my accounts. I will be consolidating my accounts in the near future.
Locke Lamora
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:36 pm

Post by Locke Lamora »

ODDin wrote: (4)
Locke Lamora wrote:Other people have commented that I generally come off as pro-town, so I'd say that's a fair comment.
I don't like this. You're basically patting your own back here.
I didn't intend to. I don't think that it's a good thing for it to be a null tell when I play in a pro-town fashion.
MonkeySudo wrote:
Locke Lamora wrote:Neither do I. Drawing attention to yourself could be used in a pro-town way and helpful in scumhunting later on.
Scumhunting is pro-town. Not scum-hunting is anti-town. It's pretty simple.

I'm suspicious of anyone who thinks self-voting is pro-town generally.
So if Hernz self-voted to see who was going to jump on his own wagon in order to scumhunt, does that count as pro-town? Also, I was talking about drawing attention to yourself, not self-voting specifically. Were you directing that suspicion at me? Spinach? ODDin? All three of us?
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:43 pm

Post by Starbuck »

There are better ways to stimulate conversation other than self-voting. Henrz only joined just a few days before I did, so I would say he should have been around long enough now to know better.
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
Locke Lamora
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Post by Locke Lamora »

I would agree that there are more preferable ways of stimulating conversation to self-voting. That's not what I'm contending here. Monkey's arguing that it's very black and white - either you're scumhunting and pro-town, or not scumhunting and anti-town. I'd like to know if he will concede that you could still scumhunt from looking at who jumps on your own wagon, defines self-voting to scumhunt as anti-town regardless of outcome, or if self-voting to scumhunt is a total impossibility in his book.
If ya smell what The Locke is cookin'!

"Locke Lamora and Andrius, defying all logic since 1081."
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:08 pm

Post by ODDin »

The question I don't see answered is
why
self-voting is anti-town. All those who feel so strongly about it, do explain how, exactly, it hurts the town - in other words, how it facilitates a mafia win.
Even more specifically, why is it now easier for the mafia to win than it was before Henrz self-voted?
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:29 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

Voting is a tool to find scum. If you vote for yourself, you are either misleading the town or saying there's a good chance you're scum. The town should pursue cases against those that are voted on, be it self votes or otherwise. It seems obvious to me.
ODDin
ODDin
Mafia Scum
ODDin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:38 am

Post by ODDin »

There's a vote and there's a vote. Usually you vote to imply that you believe someone is scum, yes. However, this is not always the case. In situations where the one being voted for isn't in a serious risk of being lynched, votes are often used for other purposes as well. For instance, votes are often used to push people out of lurking and to get their attention, even if you haven't got an actual case against them.
In this case, I think it's pretty obvious Henrz wasn't trying to convey the message he is scum, his stated goals are pretty clear. I also don't see any attempt to mislead the town, as, again, his stated goals are pretty clear. So, I really don't see what he could gain out of the situation as scum. Not to say it gives him town points, but still.
Tarballs
Tarballs
Goon
Tarballs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:44 am

Post by Tarballs »

Ok, this is how I see it: Henrz selfvoted to get reactions that would get us out of the RVS for good. Selfvoting is never pro-town in itself, but it's not always anti-town, either. And there's also a difference between anti-town and scummy. Scummy is almost always anti-town, but anti-town isn't always scummy.

I can't see how scum would be more likely to selfvote than townies. It's fairly obvious that Hernz's selfvote was nowhere near a serious vote. I think Starbuck and especially MM are pushing a bit too hard here.

Also, look at this inconsistency between posts #106 and #108:
MonkeyMan576 wrote:If you want to defend self voting as a valid tactic, that's fine. I don't. I think it's anti town.
Not necessarily so much scummy
, but definately anti town. There's better things we could be doing that will bring better results.
MonkeyMan576 wrote:Lynching
scummy self-voters
Unvote, Vote: MonkeyMan576

Mod: Votecount? And how about prodding/replacing DOESnotWANT?
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

I don't see how wavering if something is scummy or anti-town is worth voting someone over. It's a pretty thin line.
Locke Lamora
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Locke Lamora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Post by Locke Lamora »

MonkeyMan576 wrote:Voting is a tool to find scum. If you vote for yourself, you are either misleading the town or saying there's a good chance you're scum. The town should pursue cases against those that are voted on, be it self votes or otherwise. It seems obvious to me.
That doesn't sound quite right to me. The town shouldn't just pursue cases against those who are voted on. If there is merit behind the votes then sure, the town should look at cases. What you did was pretty much jump on the back of Tarballs' vote with an odd reason for your own vote. The town should also pursue cases against people who make bandwagon or poorly justified votes. I'm happy with my vote where it is.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:48 am

Post by mykonian »

Tarballs wrote:
Mod: Votecount? And how about prodding/replacing DOESnotWANT?
prods have to be requested, so thank you for asking.

and I mistakenly believed there was not a lot of action in the votes. My excuses for that.

the circle, votecount

MonkeyMan576 (3): Spinach, Locke Lamora, Tarballs
Droideka_11 (0):
ODDin (0):
Spinach (1): Starbuck
DOESnotWANT (0):
Locke Lamora (0):
Tarballs (0):
Henrz (2): MonkeyMan576, Starbuck
Starbuck (3): Droideka_11, ODDin, DOESnotWANT

not voting (1): Henrz
Droideka_11
Droideka_11
Goon
Droideka_11
Goon
Goon

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:56 am

Post by Droideka_11 »

MonkeyMan576 wrote:Voting is a tool to find scum. If you vote for yourself, you are either misleading the town or saying there's a good chance you're scum. The town should pursue cases against those that are voted on, be it self votes or otherwise. It seems obvious to me.
Yes because scum often vote for themselves...

I don't see how Henrz was acting scummy when he voted for himself. Attracting uneeded attention to yourself in order to get the game moving is hardly scummy IMO.
[color=darkgreen][b]Morpheus:[/b][/color][color=green] "Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?[/color]
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:42 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

Droideka_11 wrote:
Yes because scum often vote for themselves...

I don't see how Henrz was acting scummy when he voted for himself. Attracting uneeded attention to yourself in order to get the game moving is hardly scummy IMO.
WIFOM much? If self voting was pro town, everyone would do it all the time.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”