Newbie 822: High Life Mafia (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 822: High Life Mafia (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:42 pm

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

High Life Mafia

Living the High Life 2/9

ojanen
rep. lumi
Mafia Goon

Thok
rep. TCold
Mafia Roleblocker

More Taste, Less Filling 7/9

moose200x,
Townie
, Modkilled Day 1
Mufasa,
Townie
, Lynched Day 2
PHANTOM,
Townie
, killed Night 2.
Hoopla,
Cop
, Lynched Day 3
hohum,
Doc
, Killed Night 3
ah2190,
Townie
, Killed in Endgame
Kyraeu,
Townie
, Killed in Endgame
Last edited by The Central Scrutinizer on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 22 times in total.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't
possibly
comment."
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:48 pm

Game Rules (Shamelessly stolen from Vel-Rahn Koon):

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
  1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
  4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
  5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
  6. In order for all players to play at least one game day this game will start with a Day phase. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  7. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
  8. All Newbie games have strict 3-week deadlines per game day.
    Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
  1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down).
  2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
  3. Please submit votes as:
    Vote: PlayerName
    Votes will NOT be counted otherwise!

4. Please submit vote revocations as either
    UnVote: PlayerName
    or
    Unvote
    . Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  5. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  6. At deadline, ½ the original number of votes will be required for a lynch. In the case of a tie, the person who first received the required number of votes will be lynched. If this number is not met, a No Lynch will occur.
    There will be no reduced number of votes in LyLo.

7. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; the lynched player may not post during twilight but all other living players may continue to post.
  8. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post except for a brief “Bah!”-type post.
Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
  1. Red
    or
    Indigo
    text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed.
  2. Votecounts will be posted once per page or once per day, whichever is less.
  3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  5. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

6. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request or after 4 days of no activity. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
  7. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill. Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night.
  8. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
    Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.
possibly
comment."
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:48 pm

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
possibly
comment."
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:08 pm

"Common Sense" Spokesperson Windell D. Middlebrooks Dead at 32

by Associated Press Writer Patrick Yosarian - August 5 2009

Local news stations in Los Angeles are reporting this evening that Miller Brewing Company spokesperson Windell D. Middlebrooks was gunned down late last night at Dodger Stadium while making a delivery.

Mr. Middlebrooks was rushed to USC University Hospital, the “Official Hospital of the Los Angeles Dodgers,” but was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Although there were no eyewitnesses to the shooting, several individuals were on hand to perform first aid and CPR before paramedics arrived at the scene. One man reported Mr. Middlebrooks's last words before slipping into unconsciousnss: "shooting people at a baseball game? Now that's just not living the High Life."

The police have reported that they have several promising leads, but no arrests have been made at this time. One well-placed source, who spoke under condition of anonymity, has suggested that organized crime may have played a role in Mr. Middlebrooks's murder.

---

Wendell D. Middlebrooks,
Ambassador of Common Sense
, Killed Night 0.

DAY ONE
possibly
comment."
moose200x
moose200x
Mafia Scum
moose200x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Post by moose200x »

So how is everyone doing?

I will get the ball rolling here.
vote:Hoopla
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:21 pm

Post by hohum »

Vote: Hoopla
IC scum.

Let's get this wagon going.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:36 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Hi boys and girls, I'm the lovely IC in this game, here to listen, to guide, to soothe, to help... and to play mafia with you. I'm sure you're all talented enough to not need pep talks every page, but if you have any questions along the way about game-theory or glossary don't hesitate to ask.

To start, and to offer an alternate to placing a random vote, I'd like to ask a couple of questions that I expect every player to answer;

1. What is your current mafia experience - where and how many games have you played?
2. What alignement do you/would you prefer to play, town or mafia?

Mod Note: As per Rule 1 of Miscellaneous/Mechanics, Indigo is my color and may not be used by players.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:38 pm

Post by hohum »

O_o
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:43 pm

Post by Hoopla »

1. What is your current mafia experience - where and how many games have you played?

I've completed 11 games on-site (most of which can be found on my wiki) and am in two others at the moment. Before this, I'd played a bit of real-world mafia with friends and family members.

2. What alignment do you/would you prefer to play, town or mafia?

Town, it's certainly less stressful and is always a lot of fun trying to work out the mystery.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:50 pm

Post by hohum »

I'm sure hoopla will be delighted to explain why not participating in the random voting stage can be construed as a scum tell, since she's our all knowing IC. I like my vote and I'm going to park it here until something else more interesting happens.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:02 pm

Post by hohum »

happy birthday BTW (before I get completely belligerent with you)
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:22 pm

Post by Hoopla »

hohum wrote:I'm sure hoopla will be delighted to explain why not participating in the random voting stage can be construed as a scum tell, since she's our all knowing IC. I like my vote and I'm going to park it here until something else more interesting happens.
Absolutely, and I will also explain why it isn't always necessary.

Although random voting is the evolved tradition to start games, it is done out of necessity to create information. The main theory behind random votes is that it means scum must actively choose whether or not to vote their scum-partner, and that avoiding this process in the game is scummy. I contest this on the basis I am creating as much, if not more information than a series of random votes.

Is there any reason you're avoiding answering my questions?
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:41 pm

Post by hohum »

Hoopla wrote: Is there any reason you're avoiding answering my questions?
They're completely irrelevant to the task of scum hunting. I'm not going to participate. In the interests of creating a friendly atmosphere in a newbie game I'm not going to complain too much but your "Thesp" style of ICing this game is going to quickly irritate me to the point where I'm either going to refuse to participate or push for your lynch (or even a combination of the two).

The rest of the game should feel free to participate and not let my personal opinion get in the way of getting to know one another; however, I'm going to sit quietly on the sidelines. If anyone wants to find out what my experience with this game is they should feel free to do their own research. You can start by clicking the "profile" button in the lower left-hand corner of this post.
Hoopla wrote: The main theory behind random votes is that it means scum must actively choose whether or not to vote their scum-partner, and that avoiding this process in the game is scummy. I contest this on the basis I am creating as much, if not more information than a series of random votes.
I'm glad you pointed out that this is a matter of game theory as well as established practice. I'm also going to take this theory debate one step further and point out that it's (at best) anti-town to go against accepted standards of practice -- as there's no reason for a pro-town player to deviate from such standard local customs. It's a minor scum tell, but it's still a scum tell and I've made a note of it in my logbook accordingly.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:42 pm

Post by hohum »

I would also encourage each person playing in this game to take notes. You'll find that the scum will start to stand out eventually.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:46 pm

Post by hohum »

@Hoopla: Also, please stop posting in colors.
moose200x
moose200x
Mafia Scum
moose200x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:02 pm

Post by moose200x »

Look, I will answer your questions if you answer two of mine first.

1) Are you female?

2) Will you go on a date with me?
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Post by hohum »

moose200x: quite inappropriate. Take the shameless flirting to GD please.
moose200x
moose200x
Mafia Scum
moose200x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Post by moose200x »

shut up hohum. What's gd?
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:24 pm

Post by hohum »

You just told me to shut up.

but I'll answer your question anyways.

GD is the General Discussion forum.

See: Commonly Used Abbreviations

Recommended Newbie Reading:
moose200x
moose200x
Mafia Scum
moose200x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:33 pm

Post by moose200x »

Have a little fun bro! lol
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:38 pm

Post by hohum »

moose200x wrote: Have a little fun bro! lol
I'm not technically in this game as an IC so I can say what ever I want. If I were you, I'd remember that next time you decide to try and troll-bait me.

I'm having loads of fun sitting here watching you make random/non-game-related posts. Trust me. It's quite lulzy.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Post by Hoopla »

hohum wrote: They're completely irrelevant to the task of scum hunting. I'm not going to participate. In the interests of creating a friendly atmosphere in a newbie game I'm not going to complain too much but your "Thesp" style of ICing this game is going to quickly irritate me to the point where I'm either going to refuse to participate or push for your lynch (or even a combination of the two).

Are you being abrasive just for the sole purpose of being abrasive? You're right in saying an introduction post to newbies may be irrelevant scum-hunting-wise, but you also have to remember that mafia is a social game. I want to have fun and others to have fun. I appologise for not making a solid case on my first post.

As far as my IC'ing goes, I just didn't want to deviate from standard local customs. :roll:

I just noted the mod's colour is indigo, so I shall select green.
TCold
TCold
Goon
TCold
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:57 pm

Post by TCold »

Hello everybody. Let me join in on this "fiery" discussion. :)

I see no reason why i shouldn't answer Hoopla's questions. It makes almost no reason not to, well at least i don't see it.

On this site i finished only one game. Atm i'm in this one and in the queue for 2 others. Before finding this site i played a game on some other site that could be labeled as a large theme game by this forums standards. I won that one as the only survivor. (it was a really weird setup)

2. What alignment do you/would you prefer to play, town or mafia?

I have little experience playing town, as in my first game i was a mafia roleblocker and in the next game, that i played for only a few pages as i was busy and couldn't play, i was town. I can't really decide what i prefer as i don't have enough experience in either of the roles.

And in the end just for a good measure.
Vote: hohum
because i don't like Winnie the Poo. :P
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:58 pm

Post by hohum »

Hoopla wrote: Are you being abrasive just for the sole purpose of being abrasive?
Yes. It helps me out scum.
hoolpa wrote: As far as my IC'ing goes, I just didn't want to deviate from standard local customs. :roll:
You obviously missed the point. I don't disagree with what you're trying to do. It's a practice that Thesp started in newbie games. But that doesn't mean I have to participate.
Hoolpla wrote: I just noted the mod's colour is indigo, so I shall select green.
I know you think you're being cute or whatever, but being an IC doesn't make you special. It just means you're here to help. Seriously. You just need to stop. Okay?
TCold
TCold
Goon
TCold
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:00 pm

Post by TCold »

Oh, and happy birthday Hoopla. :)
And i have to agree about the colors. They're a bit out of the line. Let's keep the colors reserved for the mod, ok?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”