#1: A treatise on arguing in the game of mafia:

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:23 am

Post by Quagmire »

tl;dr
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:24 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Quagmire wrote:tl;dr
</3

:(
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
magnus_orion
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:13 am

Post by magnus_orion »

I disagree only on the point that subjectivity has no place in the game, because there is very little factual information to actually deal with.
Also, throwing extreme subjectivity into the agruement and guaging your opponent's reaction is very useful for scumhunting. Scum often have a doublecheck on how this will make me look idea, and something that they have no idea how to deal with can provoke interesting reactions.
Show
Why, yes, I do exist simply to make your life a living hell.
Win-Loss
Town: 10-3
Scum: 5-2
Serial Killer: 0-2
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:55 am

Post by NabakovNabakov »

What about the mode of town argument that is a response to the first mode of town argument? If a player is prodding you and asking you to justify your opinions and take stands, what should be your goals and motivations? Responding in kind with your own prods and questions would be silly, but the essay also implies that attempting to win the argument or prove your points is scummy.

Townies must have (and in practice, we typically see that they
do
have) a certain amount of interest in preserving their own reputation. Otherwise, they would have no incentive to respond to Shea's first mode, and if we gather a group of townies so focused on asking and probing that they put no effort into answering or responding (actions which, at their core, do little to hunt scum), there are no illuminating arguments to speak of.
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:11 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

(nods) Yeah, that's basically what I said, NN; there's a third valid mode Shea didn't mention here, which is "arguing with the goal of convincing others that you're town."
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:58 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

I disagree only on the point that subjectivity has no place in the game, because there is very little factual information to actually deal with.
This.

The problem with denouncing relatavism is that inevitably the lynch will come down to a variety of reasons in the minds of all of the players and, unfortunately, there isn't much concrete to hold players to. A good deal of the time your argument will be dismissed by something like 'nah, I have a gut read he's scum
vote
'

I agree that you can't
appeal
to it, and the argument that everyone has their own reasons and they are all valid is irritating, but your treatise seems to me to assume there's more content in the game to construct arguments around than there often is.
I'm old now.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Post by vollkan »

TSQ wrote:
The first mode is discovery. This is when town players enter into discussion and argument in order to figure out the alignment of other players. This represents the largest proportion of your arguments as a town player, because it is how you should be relating to most of the players in the game (on average 75% of them) This mode of argumentation should be geared towards evaluation. Basically that means that the player that wins the argument is not important. When arguing in this mode you should be trying to get two things out of it. First, you want to make the other player take stands on issues. Who do they think is scummy? Why? Who do they think is most likely to be scum at this point, what do they think about the argument that the other 3 players in the thread have been having the last 3 pages? The answers to these questions are important, and valuable for evaluating that player both in terms of the player itself, and in terms of interactions with other players later on. Second, you should be trying to evaluate the players thought process and arguing techniques that THEY are using. The underlying motivations of the other player can be easily apparent from looking at their arguing style. Is that player trying to win the argument? Are they trying to score points with other players? Are they trying to figure out what alignment you are? The answers to these questions, while subjective, are very valuable to reading that players alignment. The thought process of players you are arguing with is often your most valuable tool in order to figure out if they’re on your side or not. When a player appears to be arguing with you solely to make you look bad, or win the argument, then this should send up red alarm flags in your mind, because that is not how a town player, trying to read you, should act.
Agreed. I think this really nicely explains the value of argument as a tool in mafia (as opposed to the accusation that I've sometimes seen tossed around of "arguing for the sake of arguing"; the accusation being one which ignores the value of argument as a means of teasing out motivations and so on).

I really like your treatise. The only qualification I have is that there is overlap between the first and second categories. It isn't uncommon to begin with first category argument and, at some point because of the person's responses,
TSQ wrote: Third, arguments from subjectivity have little to no place in the game. That is to say, your own subjective opinion is not effective for a) figuring out people alignment, OR convincing others that you are right.
/strongly agree

SerialClergyman wrote: The problem with denouncing relatavism is that inevitably the lynch will come down to a variety of reasons in the minds of all of the players and, unfortunately, there isn't much concrete to hold players to. A good deal of the time your argument will be dismissed by something like 'nah, I have a gut read he's scum vote'

I agree that you can't appeal to it, and the argument that everyone has their own reasons and they are all valid is irritating, but your treatise seems to me to assume there's more content in the game to construct arguments around than there often is.

This is a game of imperfect information. Hence, we have to make judgments about whether or not is more likely that something is towny or scummy. In many cases, there won't be one definitely right answer to that question. But that provides no justification for the subjective play that TSQ gives an example of. There's a huge differnece between having to make a judgment on imperfect information and making a judgment based entirely upon "that's what I think"

eg. in the example TSQ quotes, kuribo had attacked SCAM because something SCAM did was 'possibly' (by kuribo's own admission) scummy. I argued that this was a ridiculous standard of proof. And kuribo's response, as quoted, was that my argument was irrelevant because kuribo didn't agree with me. What kuribo should have done is explain why he disagreed with my arguments against his standard of proof.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

My own subjective opinion is
excellent
for figuring out people's alignment. It's pretty horrible at convincing anyone else, but I can live with being Cassandra.
#mafia@irc.globalgamers.net

"Xyl was completely berserk" -dramonic
"Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game." -Vi
Cobalt
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
trollface.jpg

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:18 pm

Post by Cobalt »

Xylthixlm wrote:My own subjective opinion is
excellent
for figuring out people's alignment. It's pretty horrible at convincing anyone else, but I can live with being Cassandra.
Of course, when you're scum then your Cassandra role would be very handy. "Oh yeah guys, sorry not good at explaining things but he's scum lynch nao. You know how good my scumdar is..."
hatersgonnahate.gif
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:50 am

Post by Vi »

excellent
I share this sentiment.
There is no "I" in Team (or Town) (or Vi) but there definitely
is
one in "Vig".
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:50 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

I don't understand you there, Vi.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:18 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

He's saying "Fuck convincing the town, I'm just gunna kill who I think is scum as vig"
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:47 am

Post by PokerFace »

That is an awesome vidge startegy there. I ironically kill, lynch, and argue better as vidge then as any other role.

When I am scum I never think about how I look, I think about who should I get rid of next whether its via kill or tricking everyone to lynch X. Every game I've been scum I've had 1-4 players say I looked like town. Either its happening without me worrying how I look or its happening without me realizing I really am worried about how I look
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:14 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Cobalt wrote:
excellent
Of course, when you're scum then your Cassandra role would be very handy. "Oh yeah guys, sorry not good at explaining things but he's scum lynch nao. You know how good my scumdar is..."
But I'm
never
scum... :wink:
#mafia@irc.globalgamers.net

"Xyl was completely berserk" -dramonic
"Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game." -Vi
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:11 am

Post by The Fonz »

Cobalt wrote:
excellent
If you're Cassandra, no-one listens to you, so, er... no.
Talilan
Talilan
Goon
Talilan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:15 am

Post by Talilan »

The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:37 am

Post by The Fonz »

No, Cassandra:
In Greek mythology, Cassandra (Greek: Κασσάνδρα, "she who entangles men"[1]; also known as Alexandra[2]) was the daughter of King Priam and Queen Hecuba of Troy. Her beauty caused Apollo to grant her the gift of prophecy. However, when she did not return his love, Apollo placed a curse on her so that no one would ever believe her predictions.
Contents
[hide]
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:09 pm

Post by springlullaby »

Not a fan. The 'discovery mode' for town is totally futile, evaluation serves about nothing as long as there hasn't been a card flip because there are too many variable/different type of players D1.

My credo is
Make Cases on Guts To Lynch On D1
, than analyze later.

+ You forgot the whole very important defensive side of town play which is pretty much
Survive D1
, so you can analyze later with better info.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:13 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Bump this to be discussed with the second article if people like.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”