Newbie 838 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:28 am

Post by My Milked Eek »

I understand. What is your opinion on the RVS? I see you've finished one game and I doubt all the ongoings (don't talk too much about it or go into more detail than this) are in the RVS right now, so, any opinion on the RVS?

Also, is that a wig the bird in your avatar is wearing?
Eek
!
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:35 am

Post by RayFrost »

As I said, this is the ONLY game I've not replaced into. All the other games are ones I HAVE replaced into... including my finished game.

My opinion on the RVS (as uneducated as it is) is that it can be helpful as a source of getting conversation going, but it can be detrimental as a source of no information and halting discussion. In essence, the RVS, like any other method, is not guaranteed to work.

and the big is wearing a wig :) ether edited the original avatar to have the wig.
don't you feel silly now?
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:35 am

Post by RayFrost »

EBWOP: big should be bird >.>
Crunchi
Crunchi
Townie
Crunchi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:08 am

Post by Crunchi »

purple princess wrote:Can I just ask everybody, what sort of expeience you have at playing Mafia?
First game.

Vote: purple princess
because I don't like peach >:
bigmc109
bigmc109
Goon
bigmc109
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:21 am

Post by bigmc109 »

As far as Mafia experience goes, I'm currently in two games (this and Mini 842), and I was killed Night 1 in Newbie 826 (which is ongoing).
Show
[b]Record: 2-1
[color=green]Town: 1-0[/color]
[color=red]Mafia: 1-1[/color]
Other: 0-0[/b]

[i][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13846]Mini 951 - Prison Mafia[/url] needs [b]1 replacement[/b].[/i]
rustyshark
rustyshark
Townie
rustyshark
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:03 am

Post by rustyshark »

Regarding the rvs. If you're not asking for the votes to be truly random, then asking for "randomness" can actually mean asking for
non-randomness
, or else it means asking for people to not know what is/isn't random or to act independantly of such knowledge. For example, someone voting in a way that's actually
not
random (whether or not they thought it was), or by someone assuming that someone else's vote was nonrandom (whether that vote was random or not).

This means there are specific ways the RVS can end (and thus just saying "don't make it too long or too short" is generally useless). Someone could end it accidentally (by presenting nonrandom information), or someone could assume it is already over (because they think someone else's post contains nonrandom information) and act accordingly (present actual nonrandom information, thus ending it for real). The only way to intentionally end the rvs is if someone has information that makes the entire thing unnecessary (from before the beginning of the thread, which presumably none of us have).

So if you have made the same assumptions as me, it means that:
1. It is impossible for a townie to intentionally end the rvs. Ending the rvs requires information that presumably no townie has, unless/until a mafia slips up.
2. The RVS is not guaranteed to produce any useful information. Because the rvs only ends when useful information is known, this means the rvs might never end. Someone else once joked (which I take somewhat more seriously) about how the rvs usually ends in lylo.
3. I've seen people in other games advocate a no lynch to give the power roles time to do something. But if there AREN'T any power roles (which is possible in the current setup), then a no-lynch is just a disaster that accomplishes nothing. Which basically means that there's no choice. Either sit here and do nothing and getting picked off one by one, or continuing and hoping the scum make a mistake.

So come on, you scum out there. Start making mistakes so we can lynch you.

Vote: Carrick16
for trying to make it look like you're
not
trying too hard.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:21 am

Post by hohum »

Official Vote Count
Echo(2): bigmc109, Hulk

RayFrost(2): Carrick16, My Milked Eek
Hulk(2): purple princess, Echo
purple princess(1): RayFrost, Crunchi
Carrick16(1): rustyshark

Not Voting(0):
Last edited by hohum on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crunchi
Crunchi
Townie
Crunchi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Post by Crunchi »

<b>@mod: I voted :O</b>
Up there.
For purple princess.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:33 pm

Post by RayFrost »

<> is replaced by [] here =/

Other than that...

unvote, vote: rustyshark
for no avatar and typing something in a way that is much longer and could easily be summarized =/
Crunchi
Crunchi
Townie
Crunchi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Post by Crunchi »

Eh, my bad.

@mod: already voted, for purple princess, up there.

Fixed. Sorry for over-looking your vote.
Echo
Echo
Goon
Echo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Post by Echo »

rustyshark wrote:So come on, you scum out there. Start making mistakes so we can lynch you.
To me, this line is so wifomy I would never say something like this.

@rayfrost: Are you excited about this game?

As for Mafia experience: one completed game and one ongoing game here, and a few games on other forums.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:35 pm

Post by RayFrost »

I'm excited about every game as it is a chance to get new experience, make new friends, etc. In fact, this is totally the perfect networking opportunity! :roll:

I am excited, but, eh =/ no real reason for why. Why do you ask? Also, how is that line in any way WIFOM?
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:04 am

Post by My Milked Eek »

rustyshark wrote:So if you have made the same assumptions as me, it means that:
1. It is impossible for a townie to intentionally end the rvs. Ending the rvs requires information that presumably no townie has, unless/until a mafia slips up.
Have to disagree with you there. Townies can unintentionally end the RVS, sure. But they can just as well end the RVS, there are some ways to do that. This leads me to the last line of the quoted selection: not every slip up is from a mafia.

rustyshark wrote:2. The RVS is not guaranteed to produce any useful information. Because the rvs only ends when useful information is known, this means the rvs might never end. Someone else once joked (which I take somewhat more seriously) about how the rvs usually ends in lylo.
There is more information to be gained from the RVS than one would assume from a quick readthrough. Let me see if I can dig an example out of my finished games.

rustyshark wrote:3. I've seen people in other games advocate a no lynch to give the power roles time to do something. But if there AREN'T any power roles (which is possible in the current setup), then a no-lynch is just a disaster that accomplishes nothing. Which basically means that there's no choice. Either sit here and do nothing and getting picked off one by one, or continuing and hoping the scum make a mistake.
First off, I know you're not doing it and I'm just saying as a general advice to everyone, do not speculate about power roles (or the setup for that matter) on D1 or D2 until more is known about the setup.

rustyshark wrote:So come on, you scum out there. Start making mistakes so we can lynch you.
Not liking this.

echo wrote:To me, this line is so wifomy I would never say something like this.
Yes, tell us why that line is wifom.

Also a mini-v/la announcement. Going camping tonight in the woods. Obviously no Internet connection. Expect me back on Monday. Tuesday the latest.
Eek
!
Echo
Echo
Goon
Echo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:28 am

Post by Echo »

It's just one of those "oh, scum would never say this sort of thing" lines, and honestly it confuses the heck out of me :/

@rayfrost: Just wondering why you're our most active poster ;P
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:30 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Well, I'm probably the most active poster for the following reasons:

I go to school online.

I usually have ~4-10 hours a day to do whatever.

I'm in quite a few games here on MS, so I need to keep active. :wink:
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:12 am

Post by purple princess »

rustshark wrote:So come on, you scum out there. Start making mistakes so we can lynch you.
I have to agree with Echo and My Milked Eek, it does seem a little odd to be saying this, but in Echo's next post he kind of does the same thing.
Echo wrote:To me, this line is so wifomy I would never say something like this.
rustyshark
rustyshark
Townie
rustyshark
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:05 am

Post by rustyshark »

*note to self: don't make sarcastic jokes involving death during a game of mafia.*

Anyway that line was meant as a direct continuation of the previous part of my post - I had just got done trying to say that the only way out of RVS is for scum to make a mistake, so then I tell the scum to make a mistake. Maybe it was a silly thing to say but ehh, I don't see it as being any
less
silly for a scum to try to say it.

And my whole argument was in response to My Milked Eek's question on what people thought about the "random voting stage". So does anyone
else
have an opinion on the RVS? It would help to get as much knowledge and experience on the subject as possible, while we're still in that area of the game.
My Milked Eek wrote: Let me see if I can dig an example out of my finished games.
yes please do; experience from previous games is always a good thing.

I'll hold off on responding to the rest of your RVS argument till then, since getting an actual example of a town ending the RVS would be way more clear than trying to argue about whether it's possible or how it could be done.
bigmc109
bigmc109
Goon
bigmc109
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:19 pm

Post by bigmc109 »

Sorry I haven't posted. I'm going to do a reread of the topic and post my thoughts in a few hours.
Show

[i][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13846]Mini 951 - Prison Mafia[/url] needs [b]1 replacement[/b].[/i]
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Reasons for not posting:

no idea where to go from here

waiting on the MME/shark debate

I've got nothing to add ._."
Echo
Echo
Goon
Echo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:23 pm

Post by Echo »

bigmc: why do you need a few hours to read 2 pages of posts? Surely even a careful read would only take 15 minutes tops.
bigmc109
bigmc109
Goon
bigmc109
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:35 pm

Post by bigmc109 »

@ Echo: My other game had about 50 new posts and I did other things before reading (including a few responses to those 50 posts).

Rusty, MME, and RF are the most visible posters. Rusty's RVS post reminds me so much of my first game that I want to puke. There's no need to discuss how the RVS works, just let it happen. MME seems like a helpful IC, and RF an overeager newbie. I don't find either one suspicious.

The only thing that really sticks out to me as suspicious is rusty's line about scum making mistakes. I think Echo put it best when he said that's one of those lines that scum would say to make themselves seem increidbly pro-town. But it's also such a small thing that if rusty doesn't give us more scumtells, he won't even be a suspect.
Show

RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:47 pm

Post by RayFrost »

bwahahahahaaaa :) I am an overeager newbie >.> that's why I'm in about... 6 games right now and the most active poster in most of them.

Also, seeing echo's comment that way, it would be a WIFOM argument by echo, which is pointless. Also, the comment itself would not be WIFOM. It
would
be suspicious, though.

Although talking game theory is not necessarily useful for scum hunting directly, I think it can be of use in understanding the logic of other players (which allows viewing of contradictions in the future or understanding of how the person reached a conclusion).

MME: are you happy that the RVS seems to have finished so quickly, and that people are posting?

unvote
not rvs anymore, so yeah.
Carrick16
Carrick16
Townie
Carrick16
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:30 am

Post by Carrick16 »

purple princess wrote:Hey Guys,

Can I just ask everybody, what sort of expeience you have at playing Mafia?

VOTE HULK
for not having an avatar :)
Ive played a few times on another forum.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:47 pm

Post by hohum »

startransmission replaces Hulk.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Hello startransmission and welcome to the game!

We have an assortment of snacks including but not limited to:

"we are no longer in RVS" pie

"please be an active poster" salad

and, my personal favorite,

"feel free to post something that would promote town discussion" flavored ice cream.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”