Newbie 838 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:48 am

Post by purple princess »

Carrick16 wrote:I enjoyed being the bodyguard.
Why did you enjoy being a bodyguard?
Crunchi wrote:
My Milked Eek wrote: Instead of waiting for others to do the job, why not participate and make it easier for us?

Because it's easier for me.

Is it really easier for you now you are being accused of lurking?
Crunchi wrote:rustyshark's "So come on, you scum out there. Start making mistakes so we can lynch you." made me think he might be, but then a big deal was made out of it and it lost it's sparkle.

startransmission seems to turn everything scum related, which makes it seem like he's scum, but maybe he's just being active.
If you think that both rustyshark and startransmission could be scum, then you should start asking the questions/applying a little bit of pressure to see how they responed and react.
Just sitting there waiting for other people to do all of the hard work could be seen as lurking if you are scum or giving actuall scum an easy time on day one. both of these aren't really beneficial to town.
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:52 am

Post by My Milked Eek »

Crunchi wrote:
My Milked Eek wrote:Instead of waiting for others to do the job, why not participate and make it easier for us?
Awesome. Realize that this is a team based game.

Crunchi wrote:
My Milked Eek wrote: It is not entirely pointless. And I don't like the unvote either for the context of the unvote as pointed out by startransmission.
Unvote. Vote: Crunchi
But I don't really suspect PP of being mafia, I only voted to be part of the rvs, I'd rather keep my vote off until I find someone.
(1)

rustyshark's
"So come on, you scum out there. Start making mistakes so we can lynch you."
made me think he might be, but then a big deal was made out of it and it lost it's sparkle.
(2)

startransmission seems to turn everything scum related, which makes it seem like he's scum, but maybe he's just being active.
(3)

Up till now I see no reason for purple princess, therefore no reason to keep a vote made randomly.
1) you don't have suspects
2) you had a suspect, but it died and judging the wording you used, you were around when he made that post. Why did you not chip in if you found it suspicious?
3) you had another suspect, but he
might
be active

A few notes 'n questions:
- you're in this game, play it or just read it
- were you around when sharky made that post? if so, why not chip in?
Eek
!
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:34 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Active != scum tell

The only reason somebody would be worried that the person is active and thus not suspicious enough would be if they are scum (imo). Scum want to pick off townies without drawing suspicion, and hashing it out with an active player is riskier than sniping lurkers.

FoS: Crunchii

early scumminess, how fun :)

I wish I knew what to do this early in the game... I guess I'll just play it like the games I've replaced into.
don't you feel silly now?
rustyshark
rustyshark
Townie
rustyshark
Townie
Townie

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Post by rustyshark »

startransmission wrote: @rustyshark can you please get an avatar?
done.
purple princess wrote: @ rustyshark & Carrick16; What is your favorite role to play in mafia?
haven't really played enough games to be certain,
startransmission wrote:Since you asked for an example here is an example of me ending the RVS in another game,
startransmission, in another game wrote:
You completely forgot the website existed? So you /in for nexted... replied promptly to your role PM, and then up and forgot that the website even existed? And as soon as a vote is cast against you all of a sudden remember that you're playing this game and respond to it?

hmm that seems exactly like what's happening now with Crunchi..
did the player in question turn out to be scum? is this normally considered a scummy thing to do, or is it a bit like lurking ( where it might be scum trying to hide, but it could just as easily be a town who doesn't like getting voted for? ) maybe it's not very beneficial for the town, but I'm not sure that's necessarily a reason to be voting for someone. Especially when it's even
worse
for the town if the person doesn't respond at all to the lurking accusation - at least with a response, you get a discussion happening.

Considering Crunchi's gut reaction to this accusation, I'm leaning toward town for her. Scum overanalyze their posts and plan elaborate strategies for making themselves look townish, while town just react emotionally to being accused of scum, and don't consider whether or not it would make them look bad.
Crunchi wrote:startransmission seems to turn everything scum related, which makes it seem like he's scum, but maybe he's just being active.
Sure he's active, but what has he done so far? Besides his initial analysis post, accuse Crunchi of lurking.

Now, his initial list of things on each player. On the one hand, it's a good sign - scum don't need to keep notes on each player, since they already know who's town and who's not. But on the other hand, the stuff he said about the players was pretty obvious, things you get just by reading the thread. Posting things that are already known to make it seem like they're being helpful, is an easy thing for scum to do,

Regarding his accusations toward Crunchi. Lurkers are an easy target for scum. If I'm scum, and nobody is acting suspicious enough to complain about, what do I do? Pick on lurkers.

unvote, vote startransmission.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:41 pm

Post by startransmission »

Crunchi wrote:startransmission seems to turn everything scum related, which makes it seem like he's scum, but maybe he's just being active.
I seem to turn everything scum related? Please be specific. And why would me being active make it seem like I'm scum? You seem to be content laying back and letting everyone else scumhunt,
and that makes you seem like scum.

rustyshark wrote:hmm that seems exactly like what's happening now with Crunchi..
How so? You took my quote out of context. Things were grinding to a halt, so I decided to place pressure on a lurker. It turns out that I was right about Crunchi being an a lurker, and the subsequent discussions have given this game some life.

In that example I went after that player because of an extremely scummy post. I'm going after Crunchi because of her active lurking. I'm not voting for her because I find her particularly scummy otherwise, I'm voting for her because she apparently needs the pressure, and the pressure is paying off.
rustyshark wrote:Sure he's active, but what has he done so far? Besides his initial analysis post, accuse Crunchi of lurking.
When replacing into a game it seems reasonable to post what your initial reactions are to both the players and the posts. Why is it a problem that I applied pressure to a lurker? Especially when it resulted in her posting, and non RVS discussion?

And what have you done so far? Other than a lengthy RVS opinion post? Why are you so defensive of Crunchi? I'm mystified why you feel that her gut reaction to my accusation would lead you to believe she's town. Care to point out what this gut reaction is? Is it this...
Crunchi wrote:Aww, voted already.

I just had nothing to say really, figured I'd post when I got something.

or maybe this,

[quote=""Crunchi"]like I said, didn't really have anything to say.. figured I'd wait till a conversation I can partake in starts. [/quote]

I'm not seeing it.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:04 pm

Post by RayFrost »

I'm seeing an "it," but that it is a chainsaw defense =/

Am I imagining it, or is what rusty doing so like a chainsaw defense?

My understanding of a chainsaw defense is:

defending partner by attacking accuser
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:34 pm

Post by My Milked Eek »

Chainsaw Defense is:

defending another player by attacking his/her attacker.

Thus, yes, Rusty is chainsaw defending crunchi. It cannot be more clear cut and obvious than this.
Eek
!
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:35 pm

Post by My Milked Eek »

^the nuance with your post, ray, is that it doesn't need to be the partner that is defended.

Forgot to note that.
Eek
!
Carrick16
Carrick16
Townie
Carrick16
Townie
Townie

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:41 pm

Post by Carrick16 »

RayFrost wrote:
Carrick16 wrote:
purple princess wrote:This seems like such a slow pace game at the moment, would you mind if I asked some questions to get the conversation started?

@ rustyshark & Carrick16; What is your favorite role to play in mafia?
I enjoyed being the bodyguard.
What do you like about being the bodyguard? Dying? :lol:
There was an important role for the townies in our games, the detective which can investigate people, picking and choosing the right times to protect him from killing attempts was good and collaborating with him in general.
Carrick16
Carrick16
Townie
Carrick16
Townie
Townie

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Post by Carrick16 »

purple princess wrote:
Carrick16 wrote:I enjoyed being the bodyguard.
Why did you enjoy being a bodyguard?
As I stated in the above post directed at Ray Frost.
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Post by My Milked Eek »

Carrick, can you give your opinion on crunchi? And startransmission.
Eek
!
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:58 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Thanks for the clarification, MME.

The blatant chainsaw defense, imo, is scummy.

I
think
that my vote is on rusty, so I will leave it for now.
Carrick16
Carrick16
Townie
Carrick16
Townie
Townie

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:56 am

Post by Carrick16 »

My Milked Eek wrote:Carrick, can you give your opinion on crunchi? And startransmission.
Crunchi - Seems to have an attitude or could just be someone easily unsettled, looking at crunchis responses to accusations of being a lurker.

startransmission - replaced Hulk and seems to be eager to hunt down scum, doesn't give me much bad vibes.

Purple princess, I find odd. Sugar coating the amount of questions she poses with stuff about it not being that active.

My vote from earlier was Ray Frost.

I would llike to
unvote
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:18 am

Post by My Milked Eek »

Carrick16 wrote:Crunchi - Seems to have an attitude or could just be someone easily unsettled, looking at crunchis responses to accusations of being a lurker.
Unsettled?
And do you agree with the lurker comments?
Carrick16 wrote:My vote from earlier was Ray Frost.

I would llike to
unvote
Any reason to it?
Eek
!
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:46 pm

Post by RayFrost »

What is bothersome about PP's questions, carrick?

What do you mean by "sugar coating" in this context?
rustyshark
rustyshark
Townie
rustyshark
Townie
Townie

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:16 pm

Post by rustyshark »

startransmission wrote:
rustyshark wrote: hmm that seems exactly like what's happening now with Crunchi..
How so? You took my quote out of context.
You didn't
give
any context, or even link to the game in question. Also, the example you gave was of a player who didn't post anything for a while until he got voted for, and then immediately responded by giving an excuse. Which is exactly what happened in the Crunchi situation; I thought you were doing the same thing here and didn't know about any previous scumminess the player (bagsquad) did that wasn't in your post.

startransmission wrote:I'm mystified why you feel that her gut reaction to my accusation would lead you to believe she's town. Care to point out what this gut reaction is?
I'm talking about stuff like:
Crunchi wrote:
My Milked Eek wrote:Instead of waiting for others to do the job, why not participate and make it easier for us?
Sure it's not a particularly pro-town stance, but for scum to say something like this would be an incredible risk with no real benefit. She was being honest, while for scum it would be easier to just sit back and restate her earlier claim of not having anything to say. And look at the incredible amount of flak she took for it in the next three posts, hence my statement that town are less likely to consider the effects of looking scummy.

My Milked Eek wrote: Chainsaw Defense is:

defending another player by attacking his/her attacker.

Thus, yes, Rusty is chainsaw defending crunchi. It cannot be more clear cut and obvious than this.
I'm not attacking startransmission for attacking Crunchi, I'm attacking him for his assumption that lurkers are automatically scum. Crunchi just happened to be who he was going after.

Probably the best proof of what I'm saying is that startransmission himself replaced someone who barely posted anything at all - clearly the amount posted is determined by the person doing the posting more than the role they have.
rustyshark
rustyshark
Townie
rustyshark
Townie
Townie

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:55 pm

Post by rustyshark »

Also something has come up unexpectedly and I've asked to be replaced; I'll try to respond to stuff for the next day or so if anyone has any unsaid points.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:17 pm

Post by startransmission »

rustyshark wrote:I'm not attacking startransmission for attacking Crunchi, I'm attacking him for his assumption that lurkers are automatically scum. Crunchi just happened to be who he was going after.
I don't assume that all lurkers are scum. I do believe that lurkers need to be pressured to get involved in the game. I applied pressure by voting, and lo and behold she responded. Now we're talking... and I don't understand how that has provoked you to vote for me. Would you rather I just let lurking slide and sit on my hands while discussion goes nowhere? If I logged in today and Crunchi was all of a sudden at L-1 I would immediately unvote, I don't want to see her lynched just for being quiet. I do want to see her get involved, and my vote worked in accomplishing that.
startransmission wrote:I'm not voting for her because I find her particularly scummy otherwise, I'm voting for her because she apparently needs the pressure, and the pressure is paying off.
I just wrote that. Where did you get the idea that I assume all lurkers are scum?
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:14 pm

Post by My Milked Eek »

sharky wrote:I'm not attacking startransmission for attacking Crunchi, I'm attacking him for his assumption that lurkers are automatically scum. Crunchi just happened to be who he was going after.
I do not recall him saying that. I do recall him trying to apply pressure and get the game started. If this is on the "back" of a lurker, so be it.
sharky wrote:Probably the best proof of what I'm saying is that startransmission himself replaced someone who barely posted anything at all - clearly the amount posted is determined by the person doing the posting more than the role they have.
star replaced for someone who didn't post iirc. That person obviously lost interest or something else came up or whatever. Where I'm going to with this is that the replaced player unintentionally lurked/flaked and as such was replaced and that crunchi intentionally lurked and even admitted to it.
sharky wrote:Also something has come up unexpectedly and I've asked to be replaced; I'll try to respond to stuff for the next day or so if anyone has any unsaid points.
I hope it's nothing too grave and I hope to see you in another game. Take care.
Eek
!
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:25 pm

Post by purple princess »

Carrick16 wrote:Purple princess, I find odd. Sugar coating the amount of questions she poses with stuff about it not being that active.
I don't belive I was "sugar coating" anything, this game seemed to be getting out of the RVS but we had no more information to go on, and posts seemed to be very slow, I thought I would get the general discusuion moving by asking some questions, I always like to always ask how much expeience everybody has, as sometimes newbie moves can often be mistaken for newbie moves, also this is great as we can analyse peoples answers. Also I find with newbie games some people responed to questions only, as they are new and are unsure on what to post in fear of looking like scum even if they are town.

I see that crunchi has just gone back to lurking now, or has the pressure got too much and we will have to wait for her to be replaced?

@ Mod: any chance we can get a vote count please?
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:28 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Crunchi:

who do you find scummy? why?

who do you find towny? why?

why are you posting so irregularly?
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:37 pm

Post by My Milked Eek »

>> pp

I'd like an opinion on:
- crunchi and her play.
- startransmissions attack on crunchi
- rustys attack on startransmission
Eek
!
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Post by RayFrost »

oh dear... it seems rustyshark / echo / bigmc are all getting replaced... how bothersome.

I'll bug a friend of mine to replace into this game, which will give us at least one other active player.
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Post by My Milked Eek »

They're not getting replaced they need
prods, mod
Eek
!
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:00 am

Post by RayFrost »

Read the newbie queue >.> it says that all three have a replacement request for them.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”