Newbie #840 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Snow_Bunny
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:00 pm

Post by Snow_Bunny »

How can you be so sure there's a mafia RB? Last time I checked the set up was random, and the only way of actually knowing the mafia roles is to be scum.

I may be rushing a bit here, but previous experience has taught me to follow those small slips, so
Vote: SpyreX
Taking a long break from mafia games.

In honor of Erika Furudo, my first scum win (Umineko Mafia).
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Post by Netopalis »

SB, I'd say that's just speculation as an example of a best case scenario...I don't think he was implying that he knew that there was one.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Ohh, awesome. :P

I was trying to lead to conjecture on if we hit "a" RB and, instead, I said "the" RB - the idea being that, if that occurs and there IS a cop a day 2 claim would be all but game-breaking they are SURE there is a cop present.

That wasn't a scumslip, but an actual grammatic mistake because I got ahead of myself.

Although, yes, you are definitely in the right for a vote for it. ;)
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:05 pm

Post by SpyreX »

@Net:

No, I wasn't -trying- to imply knowledge but it could definitely appear that way. I actually find the absence of a vote odder than the SB vote.
Show

Proud member of BaM
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:06 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Absence of a vote from whom?
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Post by SpyreX »

From you - It's far easier to assume the worst and push on it (even if you're wrong) than to give the benefit of the doubt.

Of course, when I say "odder" I don't mean a drastic difference, just a twinge.
Show

Proud member of BaM
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Well, from my perspective, I'm looking at it from the context in which the post was made - it was made in a game theory context, and therefore I considered it to be more of a question of possibilities...Personally, I suspect that even if you are mafia and if there is a RB, you're probably not a RB for that very comment - a real RB would most likely be less specific in that post. However, that delves into murky WIFOM territory, and is best left alone. Long story short, I didn't think it was that much of a tell.

SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Which is correct. ;) However, coming from positions of no extra knowledge the assumation and jump by SB makes a bit more sense to me.

All in all I'm not too concerned by either. ;)
Show

Proud member of BaM
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Post by Netopalis »

*shrugs* I'm a law student, I tend to be a bit more conservative in my predictions.

SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Now THAT would do it right there.
Show

Proud member of BaM
Sposh
Sposh
Goon
Sposh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Post by Sposh »

Actually, I somehow missed CD saying that it was OMGUS. I also believed that SD was calling it an OMGUS in an attempt to make CD look scummier, and I just didn't like the vibe I was getting! Looks like I was wrong... sorry!

Unvote

But I definitely don't like how SpyreX seems to let it slip that there is a Roleblocker! And I think saying "family" could be like... just an expression or something, y'know? I wish I could see more posts from muh316 and Santos though. I feel like we're never going to find the bad guys at this rate. :(
I want it now // I want it now
Give me your heart and your soul

[b]W/L/D: 0/0/0[/b]
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:09 am

Post by Netopalis »

Sposh, you seem to be avoiding cognitively tackling the issue of cooldog as possible scum. As a side note, if CD does come up guilty, Sposh might be a worthwhile lynch.

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:11 am

Post by Netopalis »

Sorry, I guess I should clarify....He had a vote on CD, but only for the family quote...I'd like to hear more about his thoughts on everything else that CD has said.

iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:58 am

Post by iamausername »

-=Vote Count #2=-

CooLDoG (1) - Netopalis
Sposh (1) - SpyreX
SpyreX (1) - Snow_Bunny

No Lynch (1) - CooLDoG

Not Voting (5) - DarkLightA, muh316, geekalicious, Santos, Sposh

5 to lynch.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:07 am

Post by CooLDoG »

Alright you guys convinced me,

UNVOTE!

now I look wishy-washy... to hell with that.

To net, A, and there is are two different things, However, he is right since it was in a "theory post".

And just why would I be scum, other then the fact that I am a wish-washy SOB?
8-)
after a wank.
geekalicious
geekalicious
Goon
geekalicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:09 am

Post by geekalicious »

The more I see of CooLDoG's play, the scummier he's seeming. First, he referenced to some ambiguous "family" then he put what seems to be an OMGUS vote out on Snow_Bunny. When pressure about the vote, he then voted no lynch. When explained to why voting no lynch is a bad thing, he takes the opposite extreme,
CooLDoG wrote:Fine, but then who should I vote for, unless we bandwagon we can not get any one lynched at all, right? So we would be in the same position after all. Thus my vote is almost useless, and I can almost predict that we will end up in the same position that you described. And how could one no vote be any better then voting for one random person, whom would have no chance of getting his neck pulled?
and basically says that if we're not voting no lynch then we're lynching someone randomly, not based on the tells they produce.
CooLDoG wrote:Well, as of now it looks like the only person the people should lynch is me, but it would be almost harisy me to vote for myself right, plus I have no idea who should be a scum. Also if I roleclamed right now it would be of no use to me since you would just shout, "SCUM!!!". In the end since people are now yelling at me to go to bed I might vote change in the morning. Depending on what happens. I will say again I don't know of any one yet that would be worth my vote so thus I null vote until I see someone who should be killed. This will be my new policy all game long, since I will change it latter to a person that might be a scum it won't matter what it looks like at first. But Dad must have drilled too much math in me over the past few weeks/years... I always look at a strict % of almost everything *sigh*.
Now, he goes to another extreme and suggests roleclaiming and self-voting when there's only one vote on him at the moment! Basically, he's starting to look less like possibly flustered noob town and seems to be going deeper into flustered newb scum territory.
SpyreX wrote:Not to mention the other things that can happen with a lynch. For example: Day 1 we pull it together and hit the Mafia RB.

That opens up some serious possibilities for the next day. In that situation, what do you think could happen?
Roleblocker? Definitely a possible scum slip. I don't think it's vote worthy in and of itself, but it's definitely enough to raise some suspicion on my part.
You're just jealous 'cause my geekshake brings all the nerds to the yard.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:44 am

Post by Netopalis »

I still maintain that Spyre's actions are best viewed as a theoretical discussion and NOT a freudian slip...Mainly because I'd probably say the same thing when discussing it and I know that I'm not a mafia RB (or mafia at all, actually). That being said, nobody's really taking it seriously...

Right now, I'm really seeing no downside to voting to lynch CD. Even if he is town (which I feel is ridiculously unlikely), he would be a huge liability in an endgame situation and I feel relatively certain that the scum would never kill him. Therefore, even if we DO lynch incorrectly on him, there's still something of a benefit. Note that I am not advocating lynching a townie, just advocating lynching a scummy player who, even as town, is a serious problem to a town victory.
Snow_Bunny
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:15 am

Post by Snow_Bunny »

Well, true is that CD is scummy, and even if he's not mafia, as Neto said, he's a liability to town. However, right now SpyreX's slip draws all my attention. It could be, as Neto claims, a theoretical discussion, but I really don't buy that. Slips are always worth looking for, and for me that's a huge lead, even bigger than CD's scummy and erratic play.
Taking a long break from mafia games.

In honor of Erika Furudo, my first scum win (Umineko Mafia).
DarkLightA
DarkLightA
Mafia Scum
DarkLightA
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:12 am

Post by DarkLightA »

Sposh wrote:
DarkLightA wrote:Thanks, Sposh (cool date, huh?)

Un-Random-FoS
while I remember.

I personally am not a fan of random voting after once when I did it, and it ended up in a 6 person band wagon (L-1). I jumped off, and told everyone else to do so too. However, they weren't fans of unvoting, so yeah.. I ended up getting lynched for supporting this poor guy. I was pro-town though.
I think you'd have to be pretty dumb as town to end up with a 6-person wagon via RVS and put someone at L-1, personally.

Also, I want to switch my vote.
Vote Snow Bunny
because it seems like SB is trying to make Cooldog look suspicious by saying he was OMGUS voting.
I posted:
Random Vote
: CompradeEggLapping (@mod: Not a vote)

Get an avatar
And went to bed. Next day, L-1.

---
Cool wrote:Vote: null, no lynch
This is not hardly ever helpful for town. It gives mafia a free kill the first night, rather than the town having a chance at the mafia beforehand.

After reading on: Too late :oops:

---

@all: DO NOT TRUST ANYONE
. Remember, there are two people here who are against us. Therefore, never look at a post and go, "oh, of course he's right!", instead think for yourself: does it make sense that he's mafia? Again, don't blindly trust anyone. Me included.

---

I've chosen my first vote "victim".

Vote: Netopalis

He seems very active and engaged in the game; it seems like some kind of excitement, which makes sense if he's scum. Also, despite all of his posts, many aren't really helpful, with only questions and such, which is, in my experience a way of scum.[/s]
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:28 am

Post by CooLDoG »

Let's see what every one is about so:

ME, CD: Made a jest on first page about "family" thus making him look scummy, and prompted 2-3 votes on him. He then with pressure took off his vote and then no lynched, then he after more facts unvoted, thus looking even more scummy.

Sposh: He post very little and now seems to think that CD is not scum at all, could this be because both him and CD are scum, or in my opinion to distance himself from CD making CD look like scum and he a bandwagon normal townsperson while he is really scum and CD is not?

Netopalis: one of the main people that thinks cooldog is scum. He also now has gotten a small amount of scummy thoughts toward him for his "theory" post about why not to vote no lynch on CD, Cd then after that unvoted

Snow_Bunny: Is who started getting CD into scummy ground, since it his vote on her that got all of the Lynch CD, and was what really started the scum hunt, other then that she is one of the only players not to have a "scum tag" on them.

geekalicious: almost hates cooldog's choice of no lynch and thinks he is scummier by the second, could he be scum himself, or just trying to be a townly man? As we know one way to not look scummy is to be an active player for the town, while stabbing them in the back at night.

SpyreX: is in my opinion the smartest player, but could that mean he is scummy? so far however he has shown no signs of being scum, but just like geek...

DarkLightA: just voted for Netopalis , for being to active and maybe scum.

I tried to show this from a "outside" perspective so we can all get a better Idea of what I am thinking and what has happened at THE MOMENT :D

all I have to say for now...
after a wank.
Sposh
Sposh
Goon
Sposh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:01 am

Post by Sposh »

I never said I don't think CD is scummy at all! Stop putting words in my mouth :(

I just said I wanted a further explanation on the "family" thing. CD, you say SpyreX isn't scummy at all, do you not find anything suspicious about the "roleblocker" slip?

Who is really worrying me at the moment, though, is DarkLight.

He only has about six posts at this point, one of which was the random FOS
(why wouldn't you random vote?)

He then comments on the lynch all lurkers debate and says we should focus on people who make short statements rather than meaningful posts. He cites an example from a game he played
(would you mind linking us to that game, DarkLight?)
, then EBWOPs and says he really enjoys fast games.
(Isn't a day that moves too fast bad for town?)

And as if his random FOS instead of a random vote wasn't bad enough, he actually takes the time to UN-random-FOS, giving another example of when he got lynched during random voting because "people weren't fans of unvoting".
(This seems like another stretch of logic... mind linking us to THIS game, DarkLight?)

He's also telling people not to trust anyone, which to me, seems like pretty basic logic! It felt unnecessary to say that, from where I stand. Also, I do NOT agree with his vote at all on Netopalis for being "excited" about the game. It also seems hypocritical to say that Netopalis doesn't have many helpful posts.

I think I'll
Vote DarkLightA
for all the reasons stated above. Sorry about the really long post!
I want it now // I want it now
Give me your heart and your soul

[b]W/L/D: 0/0/0[/b]
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:34 am

Post by Netopalis »

Darklight: Oh, please, I'm scum because I'm engaged? I'd think that it would be a positive, pro-town approach...Unless you want to lynch all active players and just leave the lurkers. Then again, lurking is in and of itself a tell.

Furthermore, my questions HAVE been substantive. Questioning is a method by which one can debate AND get more information from others. Wikipedia the Socratic Method for more information on this topic. I am not a Socratic player, but I do think that the method has merit.

Cooldog: That's a rather self-centered analysis of the players - you seem to mainly be focused on who is and isn't a threat to your survival in the game. What is the mafia's only win condition? What's that, Timmy? Is it survival to endgame? Ding ding ding!

Confirm vote: Cooldog

Sposh: I agree, Darklight does seem lightly scummy, especially with his attacks on me about not posting content when he himself has not posted a great deal of content until today. That being said, I still think cooldog is scummier...

DarkLightA
DarkLightA
Mafia Scum
DarkLightA
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:38 am

Post by DarkLightA »

Netopalis wrote:Sposh: I agree, Darklight does seem lightly scummy, especially with his attacks on me about not posting content when he himself has not posted a great deal of content until today. That being said, I still think cooldog is scummier...
There's a difference between not posting much, and posting a lot, but with no content. The latter is often used by scum to gain trust among pro-towns, because of activeness.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:40 am

Post by Netopalis »

I've posted plenty of content. Which posts are you saying have no content in them?

Snow_Bunny
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:49 am

Post by Snow_Bunny »

DarkLightA wrote:
Netopalis wrote:Sposh: I agree, Darklight does seem lightly scummy, especially with his attacks on me about not posting content when he himself has not posted a great deal of content until today. That being said, I still think cooldog is scummier...
There's a difference between not posting much, and posting a lot, but with no content. The latter is often used by scum to gain trust among pro-towns, because of activeness.
Well, from my point of view, you are lurking, and that's a problem too. It's kind of hypocrite to say that one player is active lurking, when you are a lurker.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”