Newbie #840 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie #840 (Game Over!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 am

Post by iamausername »

The mafia has invaded your town, and you will stand for it no longer! To the town square, everybody, we've got a lynching to organise!

The Players:

Alive (1/9)

geekalicious, Mafia Goon - Survived

(Names marked with a * are Inexperience Challenged players. Names marked with a † are Semi-Experienced players.)

Dead (8/9)

DarkLightA†, Doctor - Lynched Day One

Santos†, Townie - Killed Night One

Netopalis, Mafia Roleblocker - Lynched Day Two

Snow_Bunny, Cop - Killed Night Two

CooLDoG, Townie - Lynched Day Three
SpyreX*, Townie - Killed Night Three
muh316, Townie - Lynched Day Four
Sposh, Townie - Killed in Endgame

Current Status:

Phase: Game Over!
Deadline: -
Last edited by iamausername on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:36 am, edited 10 times in total.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 am

Post by iamausername »

The Rules:

1. Social Contract

*This is a game. I've done my best while setting it up to make it enjoyable for everyone. Fun is our first priority.

*I will do the following:
=treat this game as my MafiaScum priority, as a committment to the players
=post votecounts at least once per page whenever possible
=prod players w/o prompting
=answer questions as soon as possible

*I expect all players to do the following:
=have fun and play to win
=treat the game as a commitment to yourself, to the other players and to me
=not make personal attacks
=stay active per my activity policy
=bring concerns or problems to my attention as soon as possible

2. Activity

*This game will have fixed deadlines (extensible only in extreme circumstances) and I expect players to actively participate.

*Deadlines for days are 3 weeks long. Deadlines for nights will be 72 hours long. All deadlines will expire at 7PM GMT. However, if a player is in need of replacement during a night phase, the night will not end until that replacement is found, regardless of whether or not that player has a night action to perform.

*Players not posting for 72 hours will be prodded and must respond in the game thread within 24 hours, or risk being replaced.

*If you see a player has not posted in thread for 72 hours and I have not announced a prod, please PM me. All prods are stated publicly.

*If you will be away and unable to post over 48 hours, please let me know. You may be replaced if I believe your absence will disrupt the game.

3. Votes and Lynches

*Lynches will only occur with a true majority of voters (Half the number of living players plus one). Once a person has reached a majority, they are dead and unvoting them will not stop the lynch.

*If the deadline hits before anyone has been lynched, then no one will be lynched.

*Votes and unvotes should be bolded in the following format (
vote: iamausername
unvote: iamausername
). It is not necessary to unvote before making a new vote.

*Players may vote for no lynch to occur on any given day (
vote: No Lynch
). A majority of votes for no lynch will end the day and no one will be lynched.

*Until I have counted the votes and posted the death scene and role reveal, all players including the lynchee may continue to post.

*Once I have posted a scene indicating that a player is dead, they are not to post anything else at all, not even a "Bah!" post.

4. Other (but still important!) Stuff
*Do not post or quote directly from any PM or communication outside this thread between me and you or you and another player. Do so and I will modkill you. Don't even fake it. Put whatever you have to say in your own words.

*Modkills end the day.

*Do not post in invisible/small text or otherwise attempt to hide the text of your posts.

*Do not edit your posts or the posts of others.

*Do not discuss this game with other players (whether in this game or not) outside of this thread, unless I have told you otherwise, until this game is completed.

*At my sole discretion I reserve the right to remove any player from the game and replace or modkill their role.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:32 am

Post by iamausername »

The Setup:

This game will use the F11 setup, as is standard for all Newbie games at the moment. This is a semi-open setup, where one of the four possibilities listed below is randomly chosen, with equal weight given to each.

- 7 Townies, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Mafia Goon
- 5 Townies, 1 Cop, 1 Doctor, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Mafia Goon
- 6 Townies, 1 Cop, 2 Mafia Goons
- 6 Townies, 1 Doctor, 2 Mafia Goons

*In either of the first two cases, if the mafia goon is killed first, the roleblocker will be able to submit both a kill AND a block each night.

*All roles are assigned totally randomly, with no accounting for IC status, or anything else.

These are the possible Role PMs:
You are a
Townie
. During the night, you have no special abilities to use.

During the day, you must attempt to find the mafia members hidden in the town, and you may vote for which player you wish to see lynched.

You win when all mafia players are dead.
You are a
Cop
. During the night, you may choose one other player to investigate. If your investigation is not blocked, you will receive a response of "Guilty" if they are aligned with the mafia, and "Innocent" if they are aligned with the town. If your investigation is blocked, you will receive a response of "No Result".

During the day, you must attempt to find the mafia members hidden in the town, and you may vote for which player you wish to see lynched.

You are a
Doctor
. During the night, you may choose one other player to protect. If your protection is not blocked, then that player will not die if they are the target of the mafia's kill that night. You will not be informed if you are blocked.

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker
. Your partner is
[NAME]
, who is a Mafia Goon. During the night, the two of you may converse in private and decide on one member of the town to target for a kill. In addition, you may target one player to block, and if that player is performing a special action at night, it will fail.

During the day, you must attempt to blend in with the town, and you may vote for which player you wish to see lynched. You may not communicate in private with your partner during the day.

You win when all town players are dead, or when it is inevitable that this will be the case.
You are a
Mafia Goon
. Your partner is
[NAME]
, who is (a Mafia Roleblocker/also a Mafia Goon). During the night, the two of you may converse in private and decide on one member of the town to target for a kill.

During the day, you must attempt to blend in with the town, and you may vote for which player you wish to see lynched.

You win when all town players are dead, or when it is inevitable that this will be the case.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:41 am

Post by iamausername »

-=All role PMs have gone out. Day One will begin once everyone has confirmed. Until then, mafia members may communicate in private.=-
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Post by iamausername »

-=All confirms are in (in less than 12 hours, good work, y'all), so Day One is a go. Deadline set for Wednesday, 30th September. With 9 alive, it will take 5 votes to lynch.=-
geekalicious
geekalicious
Goon
geekalicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:55 pm

Post by geekalicious »

Hey everybody! To get the ball rolling on discussion, can everybody state their policy on lynching lurkers?
You're just jealous 'cause my geekshake brings all the nerds to the yard.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Define lurking. We'll go from there. ;)
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
geekalicious
geekalicious
Goon
geekalicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:42 pm

Post by geekalicious »

Hm, well, I'd defer to the wiki definition:
from the MafiaScum wiki wrote:When a player is intentionally quiet during a game's Day, or misses their Night Choice, they are said to be lurking. The term most often applies to voluntary absence, but players who unintentionally find themselves absent over a sufficient length of time without first notifying the game moderator and other players are also often accused of lurking (even though they are more accurately flaking).
My own policy on lynching lurkers (since I know the question will come up)? On the one hand, lurking hurts the town by decreasing discussion. Also, scum can hide behind the screen of silence. On the other hand, however, you have town players that simply don't post nearly as much as others. While I definitely do not endorse that (last game I was in, the scum escaped when we were in lylo because too much lurking stalled discussion), it leads me to conclude that lurking isn't necessarily the best of scum tells and should mostly be used in conjunction with other tells.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:20 pm

Post by SpyreX »

This is definitely an interesting start, but I'll continue.

The wiki is a great starting point, but it misses the key issue.

I lynch lurkers. However, I lynch content-lurkers.

The issue isn't when people aren't as active as others* - its the content they provide when they are active. Someone with 100 posts of fluff is a far better (and usually scummier) lynch than someone with only 10 that are well thought out and follow a logical process.

*As with every scumtell, there is context to look at as well as severity. If a player IS active and then opts to lurk chances are high something is up. Or, of course, if they lurk but manage to catch their prods to lurk more.

And, of course you should always use "tells" in conjunction. There are few cases where 1 tell can make a solid case. However, tells when combined and played against the general ebb and flow of the game...

That catches scum. ;)
Show

Proud member of BaM
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:30 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Haldo.

I really detest the random voting stuff, but it seems to be customary here....But since I've got to randomly vote, I might as well vote for nobody...

Random Vote: Snow_Bunny

Blast! I meant nobody! Ah, well, anyway....

Policy on lynching lurkers: Yes and no. I think that people not showing up are better prodded than lynched. Conversely, people who are posting but not saying anything while they post are suspicious in my opinion and deserve scrutiny.

Is there a specific reason that you're looking for us to all state policies, Geekalicious?
geekalicious
geekalicious
Goon
geekalicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Post by geekalicious »

Netopalis wrote:I really detest the random voting stuff, but it seems to be customary here....But since I've got to randomly vote, I might as well vote for nobody...

Random Vote: Snow_Bunny

Blast! I meant nobody! Ah, well, anyway....
If you detest random voting so much, why did you vote for somebody? I personally don't really like random voting either which is why I posed a question as an alternative.
Netopalis wrote:Is there a specific reason that you're looking for us to all state policies, Geekalicious?
I never asked you to state all policies, just what you feel about lynching lurkers. *putting words in my mouth*
Sposh
Sposh
Goon
Sposh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:52 pm

Post by Sposh »

Hey guys! Glad my game finally got started!

I think lynching lurkers is a good idea, because if someone isn't contributing to the game, then why are they playing???

Also, I read on the wiki and read a few other games and saw that people usually put a random vote on someone in the first round. So I'm going to put a
vote on netopalis
because I have no idea what that means!!
I want it now // I want it now
Give me your heart and your soul

[b]W/L/D: 0/0/0[/b]
geekalicious
geekalicious
Goon
geekalicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:52 pm

Post by geekalicious »

Mod, just noted that I'm listed as an SE.... I only have one game of experience.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Geek - the random vote was a joke. Snow_bunny sounds like nobody....Ok, I thought it was funny, at least. Anyway....Ok, if you think that statement was putting words in your mouth, fine. Why do you want us to discuss our lurker lynch policies right now?
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
geekalicious
geekalicious
Goon
geekalicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:08 pm

Post by geekalicious »

Netopalis wrote:
Geek - the random vote was a joke. Snow_bunny sounds like nobody....Ok, I thought it was funny, at least. Anyway....Ok, if you think that statement was putting words in your mouth, fine. Why do you want us to discuss our lurker lynch policies right now?
The game has to begin in some way, and if you don't espouse the random voting phase, then the only alternative I've seen is to ask questions. Also, especially in a newbie game, questions are useful for introducing some strategies early on that will help us to find the scum.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Fair enough, I suppose. Better than nothing....
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Snow_Bunny
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Post by Snow_Bunny »

Hey, what did you mean with "Snow_Bunny sounds like nobody"?

So, regarding the lurker issue, I'm with lynching them, but only if there aren't better choices. Also, I like to random vote, so
Vote: Cooldog
(a dice did it).
Taking a long break from mafia games.

In honor of Erika Furudo, my first scum win (Umineko Mafia).
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:04 am

Post by Netopalis »

It's a pun...if you say it fast...Snowbunny.....Ok, nevermind, it wasn't that great of a joke, I guess.

(mumbles)

CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:54 am

Post by CooLDoG »

lynching a lurker is the best idea, they do nothing, and they don't really contribute to the game.

Don't mess with the family,
Vote: Snowbunny
:twisted:

:shock: I know that sounded sooo cheesy :shock:
after a wank.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:58 am

Post by CooLDoG »

And just for kicks, you spelled my name wrong its CooLDoG!
Not just plain old cooldog, show some respect here...

Any way onto more of the voting.
after a wank.
Snow_Bunny
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Snow_Bunny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:37 am

Post by Snow_Bunny »

OMGUS-voting is never a good thing, you know?
Taking a long break from mafia games.

In honor of Erika Furudo, my first scum win (Umineko Mafia).
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:05 am

Post by Netopalis »

Unvote: Snow_bunny

We don't want to put two votes on someone for a mere random vote. Especially when nobody got the joke.

FOS: Cooldog

I refuse to respect your ridiculous capitalization scheme and question your logic. Care to explain your vote, aside from the OMGUS angle? You seem to think SnowBunny is lurking, when clearly she has posted more than many other players here.

DarkLightA
DarkLightA
Mafia Scum
DarkLightA
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:56 am

Post by DarkLightA »

/confirm

Random FoS: Netopalis
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:58 am

Post by SpyreX »

Ahh, see, now we're getting somewhere.

@Cool:

What do you mean by "dont mess with the
family
"?

@Net:

Why are two votes a bad thing?

What makes you think that that vote had anything to do with lurking?
Show

Proud member of BaM
DarkLightA
DarkLightA
Mafia Scum
DarkLightA
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:05 am

Post by DarkLightA »

@the lynching deal:

I think it's more important to focus on people who just come with short statements, rather than meaningful posts.

An example from another game I played:

A guy wrote up a long post with questions to all. First reply "@XX what a long post". No comments. No answers. No replies.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”