Newbie 844 - Game Over (Scum Win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
DarthRandal1138
DarthRandal1138
Townie
DarthRandal1138
Townie
Townie

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:20 pm

Post by DarthRandal1138 »

I'm definitely *not* in favor of a no-lynch, D1 or otherwise. If it's obvious we're voting no-lynch, the mafia can just sit back and relax, wait for night, and then off a townie. If we start discussion, pursue leads, and apply some pressure, the mafia may slip. Even in the case of a D1 mislynch, the day's discussion can prove revealing in the future. Who voted who? Who defended who? Did someone make a slip no one picked up on at the time. The town's greatest weapon is information, and a no-lynch gives us none, aside from perhaps looking at those who were pushing for said no-lynch...

just me
DarthRandal1138
Dondero
Annachie
xvart
Pyrogen 1 xvart
hitogoroshi
startransmission 1 DarthRandal1138
fhqwhgads 1 startransmission

No Lynch 1 Pyrogen

Not Voting

just me

Dondero
Annachie
hitogoroshi
fhqwhgads
Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...
just me
just me
Townie
just me
Townie
Townie

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:29 pm

Post by just me »

although not in favor of a no lynch I am also not in favor of voting for voting sake because although day one is mostly luck, it is a good/ great chance to get some useful info that we can build on throughout the game
starkmoon
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:39 am

Post by starkmoon »

Dondero has confirmed and replaces in.
Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more.
fhqwhgads
fhqwhgads
Goon
fhqwhgads
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:23 am

Post by fhqwhgads »

Sorry, was away for the weekend. I definitely do NOT support a no-lynch. Even mislynches are helpful to town. A mislynch gives us a confirmed townie, dead, but confirmed. We can analyse that townies posts and other peoples posts regarding him. Also we can analyse lynch wagons.

Voting no lynch does not also give zero chance of hitting town, it gives zero chance of hitting scum.
Avoiding votes by means of the spelling of my name.
Dondero
Dondero
Townie
Dondero
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:26 am

Post by Dondero »

Hi everyone, I’m the replacement of a replacement! Better late than never, I guess!

Total virgin at this game, although I’ve spent some time reading through other threads on here.

Question for Annachie , xvart and Pyrogen: What level of experience do you have at this game?

@Pyrogen- I’m particularly interested in your response to this, given that you seem so set on the No-Lynch course of action. With four players so against this route (two of whom are an IC and a SE) I don’t understand why you’ve stirred things up so early on. Did you know it would provoke this kind of reaction? We seem to have become quite hung up on questioning the motives of your policy.

@Annachie – You’ve made four posts into the game so far, and I can’t tell from any of them what your stance on this issue is. You seem to be struggling to commit to the Lynch / No-Lynch issue. Can I ask where you stand on this please?

VOTE: hitogoroshi
– as you’re even later to arrive at the party than I am!
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:37 am

Post by xvart »

Dondero wrote:Question for Annachie , xvart and Pyrogen: What level of experience do you have at this game?
I've played mafia a lot in person with small groups and a deck of cards. It was very basic, no complex roles. Just mafia townies, a doc, a police, and mafia. I've also played two games at another forum which led me to this forum. The games at the other forum had specific timelines (night lasted 24 hours and day lasted 48 hours, no exceptions).

xvart.
Pyrogen
Pyrogen
Townie
Pyrogen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:19 am

Post by Pyrogen »

I've played one game on another forum.

My early vote no lynch was really only meant to be in the spirit of a random vote. It was never seriously for no-lynch. But I stuck with it to spark a little discussion, if you will.

To be clear I don't support the no-lynch policy. It gives us only two more lynches in which we have to lynch at least one mafia, or we're screwed. However I do think we shouldn't hammer a bandwagon until we're relatively certain we're right, especially on Day 1 when the probability of error is so high.

That said,
Vote Annachie

For being the only one not to disapprove of the no-lynch while mentioning it, and not having very much information in his posts. (This is based on only very circumstantial evidence, but is slightly better than a random vote in my eyes)
Dondero
Dondero
Townie
Dondero
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:54 am

Post by Dondero »

Thanks for the clarification, Pyrogen. I think I’d have been more comforted if you were an experienced player of Mafia. I was hoping that you were attempting to substantiate a tried and tested strategy that yields great results for the town, particularly given the level of opposition to it.

Now you seem to be dismissing this somewhat as a random vote:-
Pyrogen wrote:My early vote no lynch was really only meant to be in the spirit of a random vote.
Or do you? :?
Pyrogen wrote:I would vote randomly but that just seems unfair
I agree with your comments regarding Annachie however. He seems to be sitting on the fence a bit.
Pyrogen
Pyrogen
Townie
Pyrogen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:02 am

Post by Pyrogen »

I fail to see how those statements conflict, Dondero.
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:14 am

Post by xvart »

Pyrogen wrote:My early vote no lynch was really only meant to be in the spirit of a random vote. It was never seriously for no-lynch. But I stuck with it to spark a little discussion, if you will.

To be clear I don't support the no-lynch policy. It gives us only two more lynches in which we have to lynch at least one mafia, or we're screwed. However I do think we shouldn't hammer a bandwagon until we're relatively certain we're right, especially on Day 1 when the probability of error is so high.
Alright then.

Unvote: Pyrogen

And
Dondero wrote:Now you seem to be dismissing this somewhat as a random vote:-
Pyrogen wrote:My early vote no lynch was really only meant to be in the spirit of a random vote.
Or do you? :?
Pyrogen wrote:I would vote randomly but that just seems unfair
I agree with your comments regarding Annachie however. He seems to be sitting on the fence a bit.
Dondero - I see what you're saying, but I think it is sort of a reach. I do see Pyrogen as back peddling a bit, but I don't feel that it was intentional. Considering it is a newbie game I wouldn't give it too much thought, but we'll see later on.

The only person who has yet to post is hitogoroshi, therefore:

Vote: hitogoroshi

xvart.
just me
just me
Townie
just me
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:06 am

Post by just me »

at the moment I am fairly suspicious of pyrogen for the no-vote untill people started doubting his motives and his sudden change to "actually, I was just testing you guys, heh heh"
just me
just me
Townie
just me
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:27 am

Post by just me »

eh, what the heck
vote: pyrogen
just me
just me
Townie
just me
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:35 am

Post by just me »

I went to the mall with Emily.
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:55 am

Post by xvart »

just me wrote:I went to the mall with Emily.
Um... what?

xvart.
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:05 am

Post by Annachie »

This is my second game. The first game mafia/warewolf game I played is on another site, and in day 4. We managed to get all 3 power roles killed by night 2. (Yes we lynched one with the first vote)

As I said before, we need info, and forcing people to vote gives us that info.

Speaking of which:

Just Me, I'm still suspicious of your concern reguarding voting before the replacement was confirmed. For that matter you never really explained you're concern and then voted despite saying that we should wait a few (real) days yet before voting.
To me it sounds like you're one of the scum and that you knew that the replacement was going to be the other.
Then you voted for the fist person that Dondero (The eventual replacement) pointed a finger at while appearing to be random about it. Trying too hard to appear random in my opinion.

Vote just me
I try not to sign things. It just encourages people.
just me
just me
Townie
just me
Townie
Townie

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:48 am

Post by just me »

first of all, sorry about the mall post it was somebody at school who jumped on while I was printing something.
any way. I too have played a similar game on another forum and two times an anti-town member has posted similar stuff to what pyrogen has been posting. the reason I didn't want tovote before the replace ment came in is that if he was a wolf, that would give him the advantage of one free days as posters usually seem more suspicious and he would have a verry good reason not to post- not playing. I I did think we should wait to vote, but what with all the accusations flying around, I thought it would be better to post my Ideas. as for my vote I when posting my beliefs on pyrogen's role I was planning to wait out a bit to just see what was happening before excessive voting if I want to change my vote. But, after posting I decided to put my money where my mouth is and vote.
Pyrogen
Pyrogen
Townie
Pyrogen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:12 pm

Post by Pyrogen »

Specifically what behavior did you find suspicious of me, JM (just me)? Your last post wasn't very clear.

Also, how long should we wait for hitogoroshi? It's already been the entire weekend, and you'd think he'd at least post once.
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 pm

Post by xvart »

just me wrote:the reason I didn't want tovote before the replace ment came in is that if he was a wolf, that would give him the advantage of one free days as posters usually seem more suspicious and he would have a verry good reason not to post- not playing.
There are no wolfs in this game, and if there were I have no idea what you are talking about.
starkmoon wrote:The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
xvart.
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:24 pm

Post by Annachie »

About the most common variant of the game uses ware wolves and villagers inplace of mafia goons and townies.
just me
just me
Townie
just me
Townie
Townie

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Post by just me »

yep sorry bout the wolf I meant anti-townie
just me
just me
Townie
just me
Townie
Townie

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Post by just me »

here is my reasoning pyrogen
just me wrote:at the moment I am fairly suspicious of pyrogen for the no-vote untill people started doubting his motives and his sudden change to "actually, I was just testing you guys, heh heh"
Dondero
Dondero
Townie
Dondero
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:59 pm

Post by Dondero »

Pyrogen wrote:Also, how long should we wait for hitogoroshi? It's already been the entire weekend, and you'd think he'd at least post once.
I think (s)he'll get a prod after three days of inactivity, which should be at some point tomorrow with the game having started on Saturday.

Newbie question - Is there a way that you can tell when the last date of login was for a user? Or do you have to just search through their previous posts to get some indication?
fhqwhgads
fhqwhgads
Goon
fhqwhgads
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:55 pm

Post by fhqwhgads »

By the way, my timezone is GMT+2, Monday has just started here. So I think it should be fair to wait a bit on hitogoroshi.
Dondero wrote:@Pyrogen- I’m particularly interested in your response to this, given that you seem so set on the No-Lynch course of action. With four players so against this route (two of whom are an IC and a SE) I don’t understand why you’ve stirred things up so early on. Did you know it would provoke this kind of reaction? We seem to have become quite hung up on questioning the motives of your policy.
When I read this, I pretty much started suspecting the following:
Pyrogen wrote:My early vote no lynch was really only meant to be in the spirit of a random vote. It was never seriously for no-lynch. But I stuck with it to spark a little discussion, if you will.
So I'll buy that for the time being. In fact, the discussion started is a pretty good one in terms of discussions sparked from random voting. For instance, more than one of us found Annachie's unwillingness to commit to a side a bit suspicious.
Dondero wrote:Now you seem to be dismissing this somewhat as a random vote:-
Pyrogen wrote: My early vote no lynch was really only meant to be in the spirit of a random vote.
Or do you?
Pyrogen wrote: I would vote randomly but that just seems unfair
I see what you are doing here, but I tend to believe Pyro's reasoning for now.
just me wrote:at the moment I am fairly suspicious of pyrogen for the no-vote untill people started doubting his motives and his sudden change to "actually, I was just testing you guys, heh heh"
Yes, technically true, but it did spark some discussion. Your 'lets not vote until everyone is here' suggestion would not have contributed much. Saying we should still talk is useless. Talk about what? The weather?
Avoiding votes by means of the spelling of my name.
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:44 pm

Post by Annachie »

Our timezone differences perhaps? (GMT+10 btw)

iirc, yes there is a prod after 3 days, but the weekend counts as one day not two. So the prod might not be for a day more than you think at first.

Rugby? Cricket?

No, we need information and the way to get that is via votes, and the reasoning behind the votes. Although no-voting and non-lynch voting are, in a way, information too.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:34 pm

Post by startransmission »

Damn, this game is moving along at an impressive rate.

Very much here, I will soon post on stuff. Sorry guys, this part of the week is bad for me. Work and football and too much booze.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”