Newbie 844 - Game Over (Scum Win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
starkmoon
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 844 - Game Over (Scum Win)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Post by starkmoon »

The (not so) quiet city is even quieter tonight, rumours of Mafia in the town seem to have been confirmed and it has been decided that you need to find them and string them up.

Alive

HackerHuck(Dondero(SkaTomahawks (DeeJayCee))) (RoleBlocker)
xvart (goon)

Dead

Pyrogen (townie) - lynched Day 1
fhqwhgads (townie) - killed Night 1
Kill-kill(just me) (townie) - lynched Day 2
DarthRandal1138 (townie) - killed Night 2
hitogoroshi (SE)(townie) - lynched Day 3
Annachie (townie) - killed in endgame
startransmission (SE) - killed in endgame

Current Status: Game Over - Scum Win!
Last edited by starkmoon on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:21 am, edited 16 times in total.
Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more.
starkmoon
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Post by starkmoon »

Rules

Votes

1) Votes must be in bold, if you do not bold your vote it will not be counted. ie
Vote: Playername

2) Please
unvote
if necessary before casting a new vote, it makes counting them much easier.

3) Lynching will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, their pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. Feel free to post in twilight, though. With 9 alive 5 votes are required to lynch. With 3 alive, 2 votes would be required.

4) You may
vote: no lynch
. Majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.

5) Vote counts will be posted in
blue
at the bottom of the first post on each page.

Deadlines

1) All newbie games are required to have a fixed three week day deadline. All nights have a 72 hour deadline. Deadlines will be shown in the first post of the game with a link to a countdown timer so you can check exactly how long there is till deadline.

2) At the three week deadline lynching will require the same number as votes as usual, if this number is not reached the day will end 'no lynch'.

3) The deadline lasts until I actually lock the thread.

4) If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline. I will not wait for you. If you do not submit a choice to me then nothing will happen... at all.. not even a little bit.

Posting

1) The game is not to be discussed outside the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so – and then only at night. If your role allows you to talk during night you will be given a link to a quicktopic discussion where you may do so.

2) Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing. A “Bah!” postis allowable, but no more please.

3) No small or invisible text. Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts either.

4) Don’t quote any PMs from me. If you do, I will be most unhappy, you don't want to make Starky mad...

5) If you anticipate being unavailable for more than 3 days, please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

6) Mods are human, allegedly, if I make a mistake please PM me I will rectify the mistake as soon as I can.

7) Please do not post in
blue
or
red
. These are my colours and I guard them jealously.

8) Please
bold
anything you want me to see.. Also, please try to avoid bolding anything else to ensure I DO see the ones I need to.

Prods

1)A player will get prodded if they have been inactive for three days.

2)Weekends count as one day. (ie If your last post is on a Thursday you will not be prodded till the Monday following)

3) If you do not pick up your prod/post in game within 72 hours of it being sent I will start to look for a replacement.

4) Please post in game if you are going to be unavailable for more than 48 hours.

5) Prods to those listed as V/LA will be sent out on the third day after their expected return.

6) Any player prodded three times will be replaced should a fourth prod be needed.

Misc

Remember, it’s a game and it’s supposed to be fun. Be nice to your fellow players and your mod.

I will edit/add information to the first post as needed. Always check the first post in the thread and the first post on each page for mod updates.

If you have a problem in game please PM me to discuss it.

The rules etc can and will be edited at any point if I deem it necessary.

Breaking the rules can be bad for your health, I reserve the right to modkill for serious/repeated naughtiness.
starkmoon
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:20 pm

Post by starkmoon »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via Quicktopic) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via Quicktopic) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
starkmoon
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:38 am

Post by starkmoon »

DeeJayCee has not picked up role within 48 hours. Replacing.
starkmoon
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:06 am

Post by starkmoon »

Opening thread so you can start day 1. Will find someone for the last spot asap.
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:10 am

Post by Annachie »

So, ...

G'day.
I try not to sign things. It just encourages people.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:54 am

Post by startransmission »

Hey! Pleasure to join you all.

So...
Vote: fgads

Is that an acceptable shortcut to call you?
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:54 am

Post by xvart »

Hello everyone. Let's get hunting! Startrasmission - is that Tim Allen or Joel Osteen in your avatar? :lol:

xvart.
Pyrogen
Pyrogen
Townie
Pyrogen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:05 am

Post by Pyrogen »

Vote: No lynch
until more discussion occurs on the first day and/or someone reprimands me for being suspicious.

I would vote randomly, but that just seems unfair.
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:13 am

Post by xvart »

Pyrogen wrote:
until more discussion occurs on the first day and/or someone reprimands me for being suspicious.

A "no lynch" vote on the first day? I can't imagine a more anti-town move.

Vote: Pyrogen

xvart.
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:14 pm

Post by Annachie »

I'd be tempted to vote Startransmission, purly on his listed win/loss record lol
Pyrogen
Pyrogen
Townie
Pyrogen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Post by Pyrogen »

xvart wrote:
Pyrogen wrote:

A "no lynch" vote on the first day? I can't imagine a more anti-town move.

Vote: Pyrogen

xvart.
How is this anti-town? The mafia want a townie lynched the first day, and they have a 7/9 chance of doing so. A no lynch on the first day is better than a no lynch later on.
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Post by xvart »

Pyrogen wrote:How is this anti-town? The mafia want a townie lynched the first day, and they have a 7/9 chance of doing so. A no lynch on the first day is better than a no lynch later on.
If that was true, we would just do a no lynch every day until it was only four people left (two town and two mafia) and then we have a 50:50 shot at killing a scum? We have to lynch every single day; the only time I can see using a no lynch is in a bigger theme game where there might be some strange mechanics. We never want to do a no lynch, ever.

If everyone votes for a no lynch immediately we would have no information to compare against for future days, as people start dying. We have to push and press people to see what they say and who they say it about, then compare it in later days. No lynching does nothing to benefit the town. And, if we press some people maybe a mafia will make a slip. Just because it is day one does not mean we can't make an educated guess about who the mafia might be, which is why I am voting for you (right now).

We'll let the IC and SEs weigh in on the "no lynch," but I'm pretty sure they will agree.

xvart.

xvart.
Pyrogen
Pyrogen
Townie
Pyrogen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Post by Pyrogen »

We also let the cop work his magic (if there is one). I'm not saying we have to not lynch anybody today (read my vote post) but lynching a townie is the same as no lynching two days in a row and letting the mafia kill two nights in a row. And this day we have the highest probability of lynching a townie.

Don't worry though about an early no lynch, if anybody jumped on my "no lynch" bandwagon I'd be the first to vote for them instead.
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:09 pm

Post by Annachie »

Whilst the odds say we're better off not lynching until we get information, everything I've read about the game says that the main source of information is voting records. A catch 22 situation.
DarthRandal1138
DarthRandal1138
Townie
DarthRandal1138
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:54 pm

Post by DarthRandal1138 »

Original Roll String: 1d9
1 9-Sided Dice: (6) = 6
DarthRandal1138
DarthRandal1138
Townie
DarthRandal1138
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:56 pm

Post by DarthRandal1138 »

Vote: startransmission

The dice never lie! ;)

Hi, everybody. This is my first game played, but I've been reading the site for a while now. Looking forward to a good time!
Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...
Pyrogen
Pyrogen
Townie
Pyrogen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:57 pm

Post by Pyrogen »

Is there only three people here?
Pyrogen
Pyrogen
Townie
Pyrogen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:57 pm

Post by Pyrogen »

Whoops, missed Randal's post.
Pyrogen
Pyrogen
Townie
Pyrogen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Post by Pyrogen »

So what does everyone else think about the Day-1 no lynch?
just me
just me
Townie
just me
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Post by just me »

hello, not sure what to say really, first game, but let's at least hold votes until final player is confirmed other wise a bit unfair
just me
just me
Townie
just me
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Post by just me »

day one is allways a bit of a gamble (taking from experiance in related previous games) but I think if we at leas wait at least 2 days after final player cnfirmation, it should let us get a bit of an idea of who we are dealing with and allow us to make a less random decision. for this to work effectively there needs to be as many talking players as possible, so, please post!
let's have a good one.
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Post by xvart »

Scan the first few days of any of the newbie games and tell me how many of them go "no lynch" on the first day.

xvart.
I only read quote walls.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Post by Annachie »

Just Me: How is us talking, and indeed voting, different from any day 2 or day 3 sub situation? Isn't the sub expected to catch-up anyway? Or even to a 'once a day' type poster?
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:28 pm

Post by startransmission »

Pyrogen wrote:So what does everyone else think about the Day-1 no lynch?
I think it's a disaster.

Only one group benefits from a no lynch, and that's the mafia. A no lynch means no investigation, and no investigation means no results. If we resolve to lynch someone today that puts pressure on scum to post, and to appear towny. Having a deadline for a (certain) lynch places pressure, and pressure brings results.

If you're worried about a mislynch, know that one is very likely on day 1. But even a mislynch gives us information, while a no lynch gives us none.

Another way to think about it- a no lynch gives us a 0% chance of identifying and lynching scum. Whereas a certain lynch gives us a 22% chance of lynching scum. A lynch is in our favor no matter how you look at it. If we aren't actively scumhunting with the intent to lynch who is scummiest, then what are we doing?
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”