AlmasterGM
Mafia Scum
AlmasterGM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #850 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:54 am

Post by AlmasterGM »

Area 51 (Dead Thread)- http://www.quicktopic.com/45/H/uKJYhxgdHYSK
Warsaw Pact Com Channel (Scum Quicktopic) - http://www.quicktopic.com/44/H/UpRxpMT5BnD
The Calcifer hydra also had a quicktopic, which they may post if they wish.

Roles are posted on the first page. If anybody cares about the preference lists people sent in, I can dig those up as well.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words about the setup/flavor and to Fate for the nomination. Regarding the setup needing MOAR NUKAGE ... I agree, and I definitely envisioned there being complete chaos when I was designing the setup. That's why I factored in so many counterbalances to the missile silo - while everyone loves shit flying everywhere, I also wanted the game to be balanced and for their to be multiple strategic avenues players could exploit (and if you think about it, I'd say the theme of DEFCON is much more strategy-centric than one of just mindless kill kill kill). That being said, I think Socio made an excellent point in the middle of the game when he pointed out the psychology of who picked nukes and who didn't. If you look at the objective value of the roles, dayvig is probably one of the most powerful and most coveted roles on the site. In this game, EVERYBODY could have had the red button and gone crazy ...
if they wanted to
. But very few people chose that route - in fact, NO town at all selected to deploy the silo. The fact that this game was nuke-free wasn't so much a fact of the design as it was a conscious choice by the players.

If I use this setup again, I will definitely run it as a Large Theme, but keep the current number of available roles. This will ensure many more people get missile silos and, as such, will result in much more nuking action.
Percy
Percy
Rainbow Robot Cthulhu
Percy
Rainbow Robot Cthulhu
Rainbow Robot Cthulhu

Post Post #851 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Post by Percy »

Thank you, AGM, for an amazing game. I really enjoyed this, and I really enjoyed this role. It was a real challenge to sift the truth from the lies, and turns out it was mostly lies and I was mostly wrong, but I liked it a lot anyway.

Hinduragi. Wow. Nice work, dude. You had me hook, line and sinker with those messages, and the interactions with your scumteam... well played. And nice work to Fate, who played Calcifer like a fiddle.
RedCoyote wrote:I don't think there was any real bad play here.
Elscouta not claiming doc was bad. Andrius' claim was bad. The last day's showing from town was bad. But Enigma's attitude was the worst. I'm actually really glad that you decided to nuke Enigma... :twisted:

8/3/1 is very swingy, but the PRs had the potential to help out a lot. Hitting the SK early was a boon for town, scum and game balance, I think!

And on a different note, I thought the backslapping after the vote+nuke was quite impolite. Let the mod wrap the game up, guys!

AGM, I think your idea of keeping the roles the same but adding a lot more players is a really good idea. In fact, I think you should queue it up in the Large Theme queue right now, and I'm going to pre-\in! Also, the flavour was really cool. I bought and have played a lot of DEFCON because of this game, and everything from the images to the text to the way the setup tied in with the game... Well done, sir. I've seconded your nom for most enjoyable game.

Thanks everyone, I had a lot of fun :D
Enigma
Enigma
Mafia Scum
Enigma
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #852 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:14 pm

Post by Enigma »

Eavesdrop....
Enigma
Enigma
Mafia Scum
Enigma
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #853 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Post by Enigma »

I would be keen if you played a large theme with it.

I would suggest though only one first preference, no list, then the rest get defaulted to silo.
And maybe make ABM a bit more attractive somehow.

PS: Percy I was wrong about you my bad. Sorry?
But I warned you all about Eavesdrop and it's your fault you were to arrogant to listen.
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #854 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Post by Fate »

RedCoyote wrote:Oh, Fate, thanks for coming in and winning it for us, too.
ITS WHAT I DO <3
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #855 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:28 pm

Post by Fate »

However good things can ALWAYS be improved, here's some gut-thoughts about the set-up:
Special Ops Strike: In order to carry out a successful nuclear strike, it is crucial to ensure the missile will not be deflected and the enemy left unscathed and free to retaliate. Special infiltration teams are secretly positioned in every enemy nation, read to make sure this happens when the brass gives the word. {If target player is currently deploying a missile silo in anti-ballistic missile mode, destroy it. If that player is not, I will reveal to them that you targeted them with this ability.}
Um, what? This role is really weak. It is a role designed to let scum be able to nuke at will (supposedly) but it is so situational that it would never be picked by a scumteam with only 3 choices. I don't see why town would pick this either. ALSO the fact that if the person ISNT deploying nukes, they got told they were targeted? That's suicide for a scum member.

Improve:
-Make it a disabler. I.e., you secretly go in, disable that person's role COMPLETELY for one cycle. Then it becomes very viable.
Aircraft Carrier: The monstrous aircraft carrier is capable of parking itself just outside territorial waters, allowing it to shoot down enemy troops or ICBMs before they leave enemy territory and become a threat to the globe. {Choose one: All abilities activated by target player fail; OR during the following day, prevent all nuclear launches made by target player.}
Oh... that's what this role was for. *shrug* I still think it would be better as a sure-fire thing, aka ALL abilities/nukes are stopped.
Eavesdrop: A crucial part of the Allies’ success during WWII was its ability to crack into German communications. It worked then. Why wouldn’t it work now? {In DEFCON 3 or below, every time a member of an opposing faction communicates with another member of its faction privately during the night, there is a 5% chance the message will be intercepted and its contents PM’d to you. During the day, this possibility increases to 30%.}
Love it of course, 10/10
Air base: Capable of deploying a wide variety of response aircraft within seconds and fortified to the brink, any infrastructure surrounding the air base becomes incredibly difficult to penetrate. {You are immune to non-nuclear activated abilities except the Stealth Bomber.}
K this one needs tweaking. As is, it isn't viable AT ALL for scum topic (aka since its a scum-only role, anyone who gets a "Ability failed." or "No result" on that person gets lynched IMMEDIATELY because there's no reason for town to want protection from town abilities., so its pointless.

Suggestion:
-Make it immune Stealth Bomber, but not nukes. This makes it viable for TOWN to pick, as they become bulletproof (but not overpowered since they can't be cleared by Espionage AND remain bulletproof, and they can also be nuked), which makes it more viable for SCUM to pick as well since scum now have a town-excuse for picking it.
Fail Safe: Courtesy of Dr Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb {If you are targeted by a player with a nuclear launch, you automatically launch a nuclear weapon targeting the player targeting you. Your launch cannot be recalled or prevented}.
Great role for town to screw scum with and vice versa via gambits. Love it.

I'd love to see this done Large scale.
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #856 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Post by Fate »

Read the dead QT:

YEAH SPYREX WHY THE FFFFFF DID YOU TAKE COP OVER NUKE?
Well, bah.

I hope Calcifer is the last scum. I even wrote the post where I voted him overnight. I'm convinced he's scum, and if Hindu or Faraday are scum I will be very confused!
but if you woke up and saw Hindu not dead (as you were expecting) you likely would have re-thought it to hell and back. I think Hindu's kill-choice was good.

Though your further QT posts makes it seem like you really were going to vote out of the gate?? Not even I'm that reckless Percy >_>

(that QT LyLo was f'in hilarous you mofos)
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #857 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by SpyreX »

I'm a little surprised that once Percy flipped town that pretty damning piece on Hindu wasn't looked at more.

But, so it goes. Good game!
YEAH SPYREX WHY THE FFFFFF DID YOU TAKE COP OVER NUKE?
MAYBE I misread a little bit and that played a part.

MAYBE I was worried that there'd be all kinds of nukes and not enough pointing here sticks.

MAYBE I wanted it in hands I trusted to do good and useful things.

---

MAYBE the part I'm still most irritated about was the pussyfooting when I tried for a power hammer on RC.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #858 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Post by AurorusVox »

D: Is there a pre-encoded mafia QT? Or do I really have to go through and decode it all just to read it T~T

I loved the flavour, it was the first proper theme game that I've played and it was AWESOME and now I feel I will never play non-themes evar again.

I was suspicious of Hindu when he made it to LYLO :'( Evil man!
RC's catchup post looked incredibly townie but there were a few things that pinged on the way through. Me and Enigma butted heads but in a good way I hope xD Generally a really fun game, and I'm kinda sad I picked AirBase when no one else was bothered for it. I could have had a nuke damnit - not that I'd have gotten to fire it cos you all killed me QQ

Poor Doombunny being SK and not getting to kill anyone </3
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Enigma
Enigma
Mafia Scum
Enigma
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #859 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:30 pm

Post by Enigma »

Hah! I tend to have that effect on people sometimes when I get to emotionally involved in a game (means I'm having fun! if I'm all cheerful I'm probably faking it because I'm losing interest).

From someone's sig in a recent newbie game.. He's probably just a bit upset that I won :P
The reward for the most Arrogant Prick of a Player that I've played with so far goes to: Enigma
Enigma
Enigma
Mafia Scum
Enigma
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #860 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Post by Enigma »

Ohh btw I did my fighter check on Hindugari ...

Hrrmmm .. should followed through with my gut feeling earlier.
VasudeVa
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #861 (ISO) » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:36 am

Post by VasudeVa »

I think this would work better with a normal roll of abilities, no more picking deployments. Or better yet, surprising people with what they roll once they get to Defcon 1. XD.

I'm curious why Hindu chose to kill Percy. I was ready to brawl it out with Percy in LyLo, because if it were left between Calc, Percy and Hindu...I think I might have gone after Hindu because Percy was being real genuine the day they lynched Zhero(Genuine...but still silly with that lynch). Out of my 'should have could haves' in this game, it was not paying attention enough to defend Zhero. >.<.
Call me Vas, ;D A little less active than I used to be due to IRL. Hoping to be back up to speed soon-ish!
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #862 (ISO) » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:41 am

Post by Faraday »

[quote="Percy"
RedCoyote wrote:I don't think there was any real bad play here.
Elscouta not claiming doc was bad. Andrius' claim was bad. The last day's showing from town was bad. But Enigma's attitude was the worst. I'm actually really glad that you decided to nuke Enigma... :twisted:
[/quote]
Yeah I wasn't around a lot, I don't think it mattered, there was nothing I'd have been able to say to convince the VV half of the hydra to not vote me anyway.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Hinduragi
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #863 (ISO) » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Post by Hinduragi »

Dead QT AV wrote:Imo, if Hindu is scum, he's pulled an entire sheep over everyone's eyes. They're arguing over who's scum assuming Hindu is town, so I can just see him biting them in the ass and being the scum all along
Oh hey there.
Dead QT AV wrote:Called Hinduscum if he survived to LYLO, and I'm sticking by that judgement
...It's things like this that are the reasons why you will die if I'm scum. =|
Dead QT AGM wrote:God, this lylo is soooooooooo sloowwwwww. If I have to replace people, I'm going to choke a bitch.
>_>
Dead QT RC wrote:I can't believe Hindu replaced out. I figured he had this game down. It looked like he really had a strategy going into the final day.
You have no idea. I pre-planned three possible situations since you died that could give us a win. The Percy NK was pre-planned and I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it since I planned on lynching Socio instead of nuking him but I went with it anyways. I am so pissed but I had bills to pay and I knew someone else would be able to do a better job than me since my effort would be half-assed due to the time restriction. (I would've had... research paper, Halloween and preparations, bills...It just wasn't going to be done the way I wanted it to if I stayed in)

The reason I killed Percy was because there was no way in hell he'd vote out of the gate in LyLo. From what I saw, he was a smart player and I didn't want him around in LyLo. His kill would also mindfuck people and distract the other two. I was very sure he would reconsider his town read on me and the possible WIFOM as well. Again, he would re-analyze his QT things and he'd see where I went "this is hinduragi"(Best wifom ever, btw) and I didn't want ANYONE looking at that again. Add in that he decoded practically everything(even after we switched to a secondary key for vigenere's cipher) and it'd give me immense pleasure in killing him for that and his kill was a done deal.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #864 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:43 am

Post by AurorusVox »

Hinduragi wrote:...It's things like this that are the reasons why you will die if I'm scum. =|
Unless we're scum together <3
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #865 (ISO) » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:16 am

Post by MeMe »

last post
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza