DEFCON Mafia 3.0 - Over, American Victory!

Screaming Death Clan
Screaming Death Clan
Goon
Screaming Death Clan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:07 am

Post by Screaming Death Clan »

FOR THE BLOOD GOD

VOTE: TOTAL WAR
Show
RAGE INTO THE SUNSET

OUR GLORY WILL BE ETERNAL

Fate/Reck/SpyreX/Socio/Elli
If you see this sig, it's one of us.
HezLucky
HezLucky
HEZZZZZWAVRE
HezLucky
HEZZZZZWAVRE
HEZZZZZWAVRE

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:57 am

Post by HezLucky »

Gammagooey wrote:
Vote: No Total War

DeathVote:HezLucky

What is this "death vote" you speak of and should I be acquiring a nuke for self-defense? :HUGE GRIN:
The following people own: Pie, Fritz, Inhim

The greatest mafia game ever: http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18080
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:04 am

Post by Magua »

Defcon 4 Guide

Ignorance of the rules is no excuse. Understand things before you make your selections.

1. You get to choose between being able to nuke/defend from a nuke ("missile silo"), and having a PR ("troops").

2. If you choose "Troops", you get to list which PRs you want in the order that you want them. You don't need to include all the items; it can be as little as one. There's a draft, where you're more likely to get things high on the list than low.
If you don't end up with anything on your list, you get a missile silo.

The troop choices are:
Fighter: Rolecop
Espionage: Cop (one faction at a time)
Aircraft Carrier: Roleblocker
Battleship: Doctor
Radar: Tracker (does not track night-kills)
Counterintelligence: Framer/lawyer
Submarine: Anonymous daykill (starting D3)
Eavesdrop: Get PMed 1/6-1/3 of scum QT
Air Base: Immune to night actions
Fallout Shelter: Immune to daykills
Fail Safe: Vengeful

3. Scum get to coordinate their checks. We don't.

4. The SK gets one free pick, outside of the draft.

So, with all that in mind, some advice:

1. Do not choose missile silo. Do not do this.
If all you want is a missile silo, choose Troops and list Submarine as your only choice.
It's critical that we keep this out of scum hands. We may not be able to stop the SK from getting it, but we can make him use his free pick on it, and we can keep scum from getting this altogether.
The more people who do this, the better chance that town gets Submarine instead of scum.
You either get a Submarine, which is awesome, or you get a missile silo, which is what you wanted to begin with.

2. If you're going for troops, I'd advise against a "steal from the scum" mentality. Better to have Espionage than Counter-espionage, better to have Fighters than Air Base. I'd also advise against going for Submarine -- leave those to the people hopefully following point 1. Fighter, Aircraft Carrier, Espionage, and Battleship are all really good powers that deserve top spots on your list -- at best, you'll get one, at worst you'll make it harder for scum to get them.

3. I'd really advise putting Fail Safe (Vengeful) on your list. Unless you expect to get night-killed N1 or N2, it's categorically worse than just having a missile silo.

4. WIFOM it up in the thread. Town benefits from a certain spread to the selections, but only if scum don't know what it is.
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:22 am

Post by Magua »

EBWOP: 3. I'd really advise
against
putting Fail Safe (Vengeful) on your list. Unless you expect to get night-killed N1 or N2, it's categorically worse than just having a missile silo.
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:39 am

Post by AurorusVox »

Magua wrote:2. If you're going for troops, I'd advise against a "steal from the scum" mentality. Better to have Espionage than Counter-espionage, better to have Fighters than Air Base.

Problem is, if scum get their hands on Counter Espionage, then Espionage becomes pretty useless, etc. We could do without a uniformity in this area, really.

Regarding Sub: I say we all take a vow of honour and let RedCoyote get it ;) On a more serious note, has anyone considered explicitly advising town against Subs? It's not like town needs to be secret about who they're nuking. I -KNOW- its a very powerful scum role, and this may sound really silly, but it might be best to let the scum have it. What I mean is, if we KNOW scum have got the sub, then we can eventually confirm who they are by making people launch their nukes; if someone launches and we don't see their name attached to the warhead, we know they're holding the secret daykill powar and they're confirmed scum. It could also be useful for rooting out the SK. Thoughts on this?

Scary moment: realising the implications of five scum (as opposed to the traditional DEFCON triple threats) which is going to make scum drafts a lot harder to overcome.
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:41 am

Post by Katsuki »

The POINT of town taking sub is to keep it out of scum hands imo.

Those posts last night are an example of why I hate smartphones. = =b
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 am

Post by Katsuki »

danakillsu wrote:
Katsuki wrote:
danakillsu wrote:
I don't support Total War

It's way too confusing on top of being pretty scum-sided, imo.

Explain.

Maybe the recently ending Superhero Mafia will explain what I'm talking about. Look how horribly a few town kills that were in the hands of one player screwed the town over. Emphasizing our "vig" shots and taking away our ability to talk things over is most likely going to confuse people and help the scum.

These shots are not only public, but each player only has one shot each day. PLUS they can be canceled.

Jeez dana it's as if you're trying to pretend you've never played Defcon mafia or something...
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:50 am

Post by Magua »

AurorusVox wrote:
Magua wrote:2. If you're going for troops, I'd advise against a "steal from the scum" mentality. Better to have Espionage than Counter-espionage, better to have Fighters than Air Base.

Problem is, if scum get their hands on Counter Espionage, then Espionage becomes pretty useless, etc. We could do without a uniformity in this area, really.

Disagree. Counter-espionage requires you to select a specific person and a specific investigation (cop, rolecop, tracker). Scum having it, even guaranteed, does not make Fighters, Espionage, or Radar useless by any stretch of the imagination.

Or, to put it another way, in every single scenario imaginable, I would prefer town to have Espionage and scum to have Counter-espionage than the reverse.

AurorusVox wrote:
Regarding Sub: I say we all take a vow of honour and let RedCoyote get it ;) On a more serious note, has anyone considered explicitly advising town against Subs? It's not like town needs to be secret about who they're nuking. I -KNOW- its a very powerful scum role, and this may sound really silly, but it might be best to let the scum have it. What I mean is, if we KNOW scum have got the sub, then we can eventually confirm who they are by making people launch their nukes; if someone launches and we don't see their name attached to the warhead, we know they're holding the secret daykill powar and they're confirmed scum. It could also be useful for rooting out the SK. Thoughts on this?

Er. Submarine owning player will simply claim to not have a missile silo, because they have some other troops deployment. Like Counter-espionage. =P And, in the meantime, they'll be anonymously daykilling.

No. I'd much rather that town gets this.
Zhero
Zhero
Goon
Zhero
Goon
Goon

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:53 am

Post by Zhero »

Fail Safe doesn't trigger on Terrorist Attacks, only nukes and Stealth Bombers, so it's not useful at all on Night 1.

Good guide though. The first Defcon game had a few noteworthy problems with people not understanding the rules until far too late, if I remember right.

Town not going for Sub is silly, since at worst it's equivalent to a normal nuke, and thus if you're going for a nuke anyway there's no reason not to try for sub.

..except to let RedCoyote have it, of course.

The wording on the Sub description ("you
may
launch") indicates that it's not compulsory, so we wouldn't catch scum that way anyway.
-Zhero
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 am

Post by AurorusVox »

Magua wrote:Disagree. Counter-espionage requires you to select a specific person and a specific investigation (cop, rolecop, tracker). Scum having it, even guaranteed, does not make Fighters, Espionage, or Radar useless by any stretch of the imagination.

Ah, yes, you're right there. I thought you could just put something like "Guilty" and be done with it.

Magua wrote:Er. Submarine owning player will simply claim to not have a missile silo, because they have some other troops deployment.

Yes, but that only works up to a point. Most of the power owners in the last game were claimed or killed off quite early. If someone lies about their deployment they're GOING to get caught out. But it was a pipe-dream anyway, so yeah, just gogoTown and get the sub.

Zhero wrote:The wording on the Sub description ("you
may
launch") indicates that it's not compulsory, so we wouldn't catch scum that way anyway.

Of course you don't
have
to launch but what I'm saying is that it is foreseeable that we'll end up in a situation where people will be launching and scum will get backed into a corner and be caught out by not being able to launch but not having a troop deployment either. See above for why I doubt scum can get away with fakeclaiming for long. But anyway, there are plenty of bloodthirsty players who will want anonymity with their mushroom clouds so vOv
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:02 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Hez a deathvote iz a vote for death.

And pretty much everything Magua's saying is right except the the air base since it can stop scum+terrorist kills and maybe the WIFOM but that may just be me not wanting to see "Guys I might have this ability you should lynch someone else" or "hey I have a cool ability OR DO I?!?!?!" instead of words that are actually Useful. It's probably alright in small doses though.
Toogeloo
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:03 am

Post by Toogeloo »

They could claim to have Silo in Defense as well, just fyi.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:06 am

Post by Katsuki »

Toogeloo wrote:They could claim to have Silo in Defense as well, just fyi.

That's pretty much a scumclaim. :P
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
Toogeloo
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:07 am

Post by Toogeloo »

Or hell... Scum sub could just declare themselves a Silo. It says they "may" declare in silence. Nothing really stopping them from declaring openly as a Sub "Nuke: Target," and then claiming to be in defense the next day or something.

Seriously, if you don't want a power, pick Sub regardless.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:07 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Unless you're the towniest person ever and think that scum will nuke you as they're going down Defensive mode nukes is ewwwww. I guess you could do it if you're Really not confident in your reads too but very very largely a town-driven nuke is going to be more helpful than blocking a nuke that may or may not occur.

also stop ninjaing me.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:10 am

Post by Katsuki »

COUNTERINTELLEGENCE IS SOMETHING WE WANT TO KEEP OUT OF SCUM HANDS BY THE WAY.

The one-day of QT communication it offers will be vital and something scum definately wants. My team last game was terribad, and not having the freedom to communicate freely in the QT definately drove our team into the ground (on top of 2 of us having quit the game, but meh).
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:12 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

I'm in agreement with Magua's general thinking on Troop deployment claims and very much like the Sub idea. Any Townie wanting to go Silo should follow that 100%.

Now that SDC has checked in we only have to wait for our illustrius Mod to check in to move us to Defcon 4.

@Kats - Do you mean Eavesdrop (listen in better on QTs) as opposed to Counterintelligence (Framer / Lawyer)?

@MOD - I'll be V/LA from more or less right now until Monday for my usual Weekend family duties.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Magna counterintelligence also allows a one-shot unobservable QT for a night.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:32 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

Gammagooey wrote:Magna counterintelligence also allows a one-shot unobservable QT for a night.

Aha, I missed that bit tacked on at the end. My attention wandered when I reached the example portion above that and I moved on to other abilities.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
gorilla
gorilla
Mafia Scum
gorilla
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:34 am

Post by gorilla »

Counterintelligence is scary in the hands of scum imo, most likely will be used to fuck with cop results since messing with rolecop stuff doesn't make much sense. A combined framer/mobile godfather worries me though. The possibility for multiple scumteam members to get cleared doesn't sit well with me. Definitely worth having a few people try to steal it.

gamma: why the deathvote on hez?
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:37 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Boring+unconfrontational first post plus trying to show he's useful by saying he's going to go reread earlier games instead of actually Being useful.
Swift Justice
Swift Justice
Mafia Scum
Swift Justice
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:40 am

Post by Swift Justice »

Anyone with a nuke in defensive mode will be lynched on site. No questions asked. It's a scumclaim. We're not fucking around with 'teehee if you're not confident in your reads' garbage.
HIGH TIER HYDRA.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:53 am

Post by Gammagooey »

: ?
I get that defensive mode can cover for scum that don't want to claim something else but defensive mode can be useful for not getting nuked by scum on their way out or for not getting dead if someone's super-tunneling on you but you think they're more likely town than not, plus if they need to prove it they can just change to offensive the next day and nuke the otherwise lynched target, am I missing something with why it's so terrible?
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:54 am

Post by Katsuki »

MagnaofIllusion wrote:I'm in agreement with Magua's general thinking on Troop deployment claims and very much like the Sub idea. Any Townie wanting to go Silo should follow that 100%.

Now that SDC has checked in we only have to wait for our illustrius Mod to check in to move us to Defcon 4.

@Kats - Do you mean Eavesdrop (listen in better on QTs) as opposed to Counterintelligence (Framer / Lawyer)?

@MOD - I'll be V/LA from more or less right now until Monday for my usual Weekend family duties.

Both.

ALSO I JUST NOTICED, WHY IS PERCY NOT IN THIS GAME??
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:54 am

Post by Katsuki »

Gammagooey wrote:: ?
I get that defensive mode can cover for scum that don't want to claim something else but defensive mode can be useful for not getting nuked by scum on their way out or for not getting dead if someone's super-tunneling on you but you think they're more likely town than not, plus if they need to prove it they can just change to offensive the next day and nuke the otherwise lynched target, am I missing something with why it's so terrible?

Nukes can be canceled.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a