Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War Mafia - Ongoing!

For archiving signup threads after their corresponding games are complete.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War Mafia - Ongoing!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

“I don’t like the idea of that thing up there” -he jabbed a claw in Wolfswinkel’s direction- “escaping into the Abarat. If the whispers I hear these nights are true—and they come from all directions, telling the same terrible tales—then we cannot afford to let a villain such as Wolfswinkel go out into the islands if we can prevent it. There will be far too much trouble for the likes of him to cause.”

“What have you heard, sir?” one of the tarrie-soldiers asked Jimothi.

“Oh, just that the forces of the enemy grow bigger every hour. And that in the end it may be the presence of one soul on either side who will make the difference between the winning and losing of the coming war.”

“War, sir?” said another tarrie.

“Yes, war. And its first open conflict will be here, tonight. So acquit yourselves well, tarries. This one is for the history books!”

Night won the war.

The Chamber of Dread and Compulsion - the Abarat's last safeguard against imbalance - had been activated. Thirteen people entered. Only Christopher Carrion had walked out. But the Lord of Midnight did not need companionship to raise his dread army.

But when all else failed, the Twenty-Fifth Hour used their last, desperate trump card. They turned back history itself. The last pages of the story of the hours had been erased. Erased, only to be written down again - but this time, on paper, by a single, withered hand.

Hollow's Codex had caused quite the stir. Prophets were a dime a dozen in the Abarat, each hardly better than chance. And much of the Codex was simply predictions - predictions about the weather, about the movements of the seas, about the timings of events too large for one soul to affect. Predictions that invariably came true. As the successes piled up, and the failures failed to appear, every literate being on the Abarat was forced to accept the legitmacy of the Codex. Which meant they had to accept the writings on the first page:

I come from a future where Night defeated day. A future without balance.

I entrust to Day the responsibility of maintaining itself against the forces that would consume it. Not to destroy Night, but to drive it back, to endure.

The book begins with predictions of what will come to pass, and cannot be avoided. This is so you know I speak truth.

The book ends with a retelling of what came to pass, and must be avoided. This is so you know your duty.

The truths of a tomorrow avoided are the weapons of today. To all of the Abarat, I give these weapons.

It is now Hollowsday - the day in which the Codex reports that the Chamber had been activated, and the day of the last prediction in the book. All of the Abarat holds it's breath and waits to see what is next...

--

This is the Large Theme sequel to Abarat Mafia. Knowledge of the previous game is not required to play, although the first game is available for download for any interested parties. Flavor knowledge is not necessary, but will greatly increase your enjoyment of the game.

Due to the large amount of primary source text in this game, spoilers for the first two Abarat books are permitted, although courtesy tags are appreciated.
Note that Absolute Midnight spoilers MUST be in appropriately labeled spoiler tags, or I will exact retribution.
There are many big changes in the third book I don't want spoiled for people reading the series.

This is a 24 player, 3-faction game between 18 members of
Day
, 5 members of
Night
, and one member of
Commexo

While this is a 24 player game, only 23 votes will be in play. Instead, there will be a two-headed innocent child role.
When you /in, please let me know if the role would interest you, or explicitly say "no" if it would not.
After all players are in, I will choose one player to be one of the heads, and then have all players in the game vote as to which head they'd like to accompany them.

In post 13, hitogoroshi wrote:While I'm at it, let me clarify how the innocent child thing will work.

Everyone tells me if they want to be it or not. Then, after signups are full, I make the personal judgement call for one of the heads. I announce who. Then, everyone privately sends me their top three choices for the other head. If you were a candidate for innocent child, but don't like who you would be partnered with, you can also privately opt out. I'll submit the top two options to the chosen first head and let them choose. I'll announce the winner, obviously, but not the private opt outs or the specific vote totals.

This way, because I pick one and then everyone votes for one, there's none of the "please vote for me, unless you're also vote for y" nonsense.

This will be a hydra friendly game - hydras are allowed, and players do not have veto rights over whether a hydra joins. However, there is a limit of 3 heads maximum per hydra, and a limit of 5 “bonus players” as a result of hydras (so five 2-headed hydras or two 2-headed hydras and one 3-headed hydra are the limit.)

This game will use an arbitrary justice system. I will decide whether a player should be allowed in to the game or not. If you believe you have information about a players performance that I may not know and would significantly influence my decision whether to allow them in, please PM it to me. I will not publicly name anyone who shares information in this way. Note that I may ban one or more players I normally approve of if I feel that a certain combination of players will negatively impact the game. Please do not take it personally.

Players

1.) Shinori [No IC]
2.) Hinduragi [IC]
3.) Nachomamma8 [IC]
4.) Llamarble [IC]
5.) Staeg [IC]
6.) 4nxi3ty [No IC]
7.) Petapan [IC]
8.) Nuwen [IC]
9.) Seraphim [IC]
10.) chesskid3 [IC]
11.) MagnaofIllusion [IC]
12.) AGar [No IC]
13.) sword_of_omens [IC]
14.) RedCoyote [No IC]
15.) Karen Walker (xRECKONERx and ChannelDelibird hydra)
16.) Bella [IC]
17.) Minimum (Mina and CES hydra)
18.) Regfan [IC]
19.) Shmugen [IC]
20.) Flash (chamber and Nexus hydra)
21.) Magister Ludi [IC]
22.) Fate [IC]
23.) Untrod Tripod [IC]
24.) OnceAndForEver [No IC]

Do not blame the wind.

It carries whatever freight

It is laden with, fair or foul.

It brings gossip,

It brings laughter,

It brings prayers

And songs of love.

It brings the chatter

Of madmen and children,

Not knowing one from the other.

Do not blame the wind.

--Zaosharan, poet of the Totemix
Last edited by hitogoroshi on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 35 times in total.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

/confirmed
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Hinduragi
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Post by Hinduragi »

/confirm
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:42 am

Post by Nuwen »

/confirm
So high, so low, so many things to know.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5
4nxi3ty
4nxi3ty
Mafia Scum
4nxi3ty
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:39 am

Post by 4nxi3ty »

/confirm
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:49 am

Post by Timeater »

/out

Sorry hito I cant handle another large theme right now. I'm in way too many games right no as it is (3). Totally /in for SUAJ:G though. Hope you guys have fun.
watch for the eggshells
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:09 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Don't forget this aspect, cats and kittens:

While this is a 24 player game, only 23 votes will be in play. Instead, there will be a two-headed innocent child role. When you /in, please let me know if the role would interest you, or explicitly say "no" if it would not.

As you /in, whether it's confirming a pre/in or a new /in, just let me know whether you'd be interested in being in the two-headed innocent child or not.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:15 am

Post by zoraster »

This thread should have more /ins already! Fun setup, lots of fun flavor (even if, like me, you have no idea who any of these characters are), and a follow up to a very successful previous game. What are you waiting for?
Hinduragi
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:15 am

Post by Hinduragi »

I'd be interested in the innocent child role. Unless it involves making a separate account and posting under that. If it requires a hydra, put me down as a no.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:23 am

Post by Staeg »

/confirm, am not overly PICKME PICKME PICKME about the IC role, but I wouldn't mind it by any means.
sa vrede?
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:38 am

Post by Seraphim »

THANK GOD I SAW THIS.

/in

I thought I had pre-inned?!?!?! Oh well. Doesn't matter. I might be interested in the Innocent Child role.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:45 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Oh, mea culpa, Seraphim. Thought you had left the site after the crash, actually, so didn't send an invite.

Also: no, the innocent child role does NOT require a new account. You get a QT to talk in, and then both post in the thread as normal. The most recent vote from either person overwrites the previous.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:46 am

Post by chesskid3 »

/in
interested i guess
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:53 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

While I'm at it, let me clarify how the innocent child thing will work.

Everyone tells me if they want to be it or not. Then, after signups are full, I make the personal judgement call for one of the heads. I announce who. Then, everyone privately sends me their top three choices for the other head. If you were a candidate for innocent child, but don't like who you would be partnered with, you can also privately opt out. I'll submit the top two options to the chosen first head and let them choose. I'll announce the winner, obviously, but not the private opt outs or the specific vote totals.

This way, because I pick one and then everyone votes for one, there's none of the "please vote for me, unless you're also vote for y" nonsense.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Post by Seraphim »

In that case, I am VERY interested in the role.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Post by Vi »

I would asplode if I played in a game that would spoil a book I haven't read but plan to read.

I'm sorry, but I'd like to step away from this game at this time. p/out
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Post by Staeg »

Oh, yeah, I haven't read the books yet, either (there's about 7 books that I will EVENTUALLY GET TO READING), so I'm avoiding the flavor like the plague itself.
sa vrede?
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

Well my one schedule deaths have opened up some space for me.

/in with no Innocent Child interest in the least ...
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

I would be interested in the IC role.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

aww no MoI/CHESSKID IC buddies4lyfe?
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Post by petapan »

/in

innocent child role sounds cool i'd be interested in it! =)
DLG
DLG
Goon
DLG
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:00 am

Post by DLG »

With regret,

/out, per the message I sent you, hito.

Life's demands suck sometimes.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:46 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 19, chesskid3 wrote:aww no MoI/CHESSKID IC buddies4lyfe?

I don't think that would be possible even in the Abarat universe ...

You can't tell me that you would actively choose me as your IC buddy given some of the names on the playerlist :P
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:48 am

Post by chesskid3 »

hahah It'd be Faraday in a heartbeat

but I mean, Hito isn't gonna choose me as the IC sooooooooooooooo I don't get to choose, I'll either be voted in and selected by his choice
or you'll get to accuse me of being scum all game
4nxi3ty
4nxi3ty
Mafia Scum
4nxi3ty
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:49 am

Post by 4nxi3ty »

hmm i am good with not being IC if others want it.

Return to “Completed Signups”