Newbie 04 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Spoon
Spoon
Townie
Spoon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:21 pm

Post by Spoon »

It might be nice if 'tehgood' would actually show up...
Spoon?
tehgood
tehgood
Townie
tehgood
Townie
Townie

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:54 pm

Post by tehgood »

Sorry! :oops:

I'm litterally 1500 miles away from home with sporadic internet access...

Yea, I'm just a vanilla townie - sorry for lurking, etc. Lemme reread teh thread.

tehgood
Sugar
Sugar
moderately caffeinated
Sugar
moderately caffeinated
moderately caffeinated

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:06 pm

Post by Sugar »

Yggdrasil (re: Someone) wrote:I looked at his posts in newbie mafia 5. He seems almost too eager to lynch especially with so little discussion and so much on the line.
Unvote: Someone
. If he was posting erroneously in Newbie 5... is it likely he's mafia?

Vote: Yggdrasil
[color=#500000] [size=75]Man! Today is so loopy! - The Tick[/size][/color]
Someone
Someone
Well, we gotta remove Someone
Someone

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:29 am

Post by Someone »

Vote:Yggdrasil

I don't like people that try to get my lynched :wink:.

Seriously though, the argument is flawed, for many reasons. And even if it isn't we will find out through the argument that ensues. This is probably the best place for my vote if we want to get discussion going.

There is a number of things wrong with his accusation. For one thing, I was not eager to lynch, I was just trying to get discussion going, as I am doing right now. Secondly, how do you expect a game to continue without someone to push bandwaggons to get information. While a day one towneee lynch is not good for the town, it isn't the end of the world.
This is just here so my posts don't look so ugly when I edit them.
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:20 am

Post by Werebear »

Deadline Imminent. Have fun. :)
[color=green]Anyhoo, why is it suspicious that I get confused with a mattress?[/color]
--Wacky, HHGG3 - Life, The Universe, and Everything mafia
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:01 am

Post by Werebear »

And so, despite the sun sinking lower and lower in the sky, the remaining workers maintained a stony silence, all unwilling to speak lest they be targeted. But someone had to go, didn't they?

DEADLINE: Wed., Dec 31st, around noon EST.

It is 4 to lynch. If someone has received 3 votes at the deadline, they will be lynched, otherwise no one will be lynched. This deadline may be retracted if more activity happens. :)
Yggdrasil
Yggdrasil
Goon
Yggdrasil
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:30 pm

Post by Yggdrasil »

Okay, since we have a deadline comming up, I'll just roleclaim now as the
cop
. I am not a mafia, so you can stop voting for me now.

Right now, I'm most inclined to lynch tehgood. Upon further thought, Someone's explanation is good enough for me, so I'll
unvote: Someone
. I'll hold off my vote until we get further information/we get closer to the deadline.
[size=75][i]"The owl of Minerva takes flight only when the shades of night are falling."[/i]

[url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Yggdrasil]curriculum vitae[/url][/size]
Someone
Someone
Someone

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:34 pm

Post by Someone »

Werebear, I beg you to retract your deadline. Most people are away for the new year...as you can see in other games on this forum.

Unvote:Yggdrasil

Onwards to the actual game. If I'm not mistaken, there are no docs in this game, so, barring incredible mafia stupidity, you are probably dead tonight. So, revealing your investigation results is probably a good idea.
Yggdrasil
Yggdrasil
Goon
Yggdrasil
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:03 pm

Post by Yggdrasil »

Assuming this newbie mafia is structured the same as the other newbie mafias, there should be a doc in the game. But, as the game began during the day, I have not yet been able to investigate anyone.

Also, I'll agree that the deadline needs to be extended at least until a couple days after New Years.
[size=75][i]"The owl of Minerva takes flight only when the shades of night are falling."[/i]

[url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Yggdrasil]curriculum vitae[/url][/size]
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:14 pm

Post by Phoebus »

Unvote: Just_nigel

Shall we just put this game in the freezer till New Year's?

With a majority of people missing, discussion has all but dried up...
It's so sad to come to Rome every day just to find no or just a couple new posts...

~Phoebus~
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.
Sugar
Sugar
moderately caffeinated
Sugar
moderately caffeinated
moderately caffeinated

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:20 pm

Post by Sugar »

Unvote: Yggdrasil
Vote: Spoon
FOS Someone
- 1) for assuming there was no doc, and 2) forgetting that the cop wouldn't have an investigation today. He doesn't seem to be paying attention.
[color=#500000] [size=75]Man! Today is so loopy! - The Tick[/size][/color]
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:30 am

Post by just_nigel »

First some newbie questions about the rules:
Do we know for sure that there is a doctor?
Do we get to find out the roles of dead characters? (ie if the real cop dies do we find out)

And now my thoughts on the debate so far:
I notice Yggdrasil has named tehgood, withdrawn tehgood, named someone, withdrawn someone, and then hinted at tehgood again without actually voting for tehgood. Meanwhile, at the beginning tehgood pretended to not know Yggdrasil's name.

Hmmm? Do they protest too much? Are they actually working together? Very suspicious.

But if they are the mafia, why would Yggdrasil come right out and say "I am the cop". Well either we beleive it and Yggdrasil avoids being lynched, or the real cop speaks up and the mafia know who to kill on night one! If there is a doctor Yggdrasil can hope that the doctor is confused and tries to save the wrong 'cop'.
Someone
Someone
Someone

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:04 am

Post by Someone »

Well, in a 7 player game...a cop and a doc seemed a little strong. Besides, an investigation result revealed won't harm the town too much anyways.

Just_niegel to answer your questions, yes, we do get to know the roles of the dead characters, and, according to everyone else, we know for sure that there is a doc.

If our claimed cop is lying, the real cop should come out in order to find the mafia, right? Although that is a possibility, we can also get him not to reveal and reveal tomorrow in order to get an investigation result. However, I strongly doubt that Yggdrasil is lying because it isn't a very smart thing to do as mafia.

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:25 am

Post by Guest »

just_nigel wrote:First some newbie questions about the rules:
Do we know for sure that there is a doctor?
Do we get to find out the roles of dead characters? (ie if the real cop dies do we find out)

And now my thoughts on the debate so far:
I notice Yggdrasil has named tehgood, withdrawn tehgood, named someone, withdrawn someone, and then hinted at tehgood again without actually voting for tehgood. Meanwhile, at the beginning tehgood pretended to not know Yggdrasil's name.

Hmmm? Do they protest too much? Are they actually working together? Very suspicious.

But if they are the mafia, why would Yggdrasil come right out and say "I am the cop". Well either we beleive it and Yggdrasil avoids being lynched, or the real cop speaks up and the mafia know who to kill on night one! If there is a doctor Yggdrasil can hope that the doctor is confused and tries to save the wrong 'cop'.
I generally do not like like to put the second to last vote on someone because someone could accidentally put the last vote on and end the day too quickly. That is why I voted then unvoted tehgood at the beginning (plus I thought more discussion at that point would be useful), and why I'm holding off my vote on tehgood now.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:00 am

Post by Norinel »

Retrieval post.
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:21 pm

Post by Werebear »

Yes, roles will be completely revealed upon death. Along with the player's real name, address, social security number, VISA credit card number (and expiration date and PIN number) as well as their job, annual salary, most valuable possessions, as well as how their house is guarded, and a picture of their house key.

So I'd advise you not to die in the game. :shock:
Oh, yeah, deadline extended to Jan 3rd. Talk! Talk! Lynch!
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:14 pm

Post by just_nigel »

Yes, roles will be completely revealed upon death
Ahhh, in which case my whole pretend-to-be-the cop theory is either wrong or a high risk strategy. So Yggdrasil probably isn't maffia after all.[/quote]
Someone
Someone
Someone

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:36 am

Post by Someone »

OK with one day left we basically have to decide if a random lynch or a no lynch is better. With 6 possibilities we have a 2/6 or a 1/3 chance of catching a baddie. If no lynch we'll have 5 people left to choose from. I'm not sure what to do. Sugar?
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:01 am

Post by Phoebus »

Does the lynch rule of 3 at the deadline hold fast?

Could we have a count please?

-P.
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:58 am

Post by Werebear »

Yes, 3 votes to lynch at deadline holds fast.
Yes, the deadline is still tomorrow, the last 5 days there were 3 posts. Even with the holidays, the post count shouldn't have been THAT low. Maybe a whole flood of posts will occur in the next 24, who knows?
Yes, you may have yet another vote count. (I should have posted one when I made the deadline) :)

YAVC

Tehgood:
(2 - Spoon, Just_Nigel)
Just_Nigel
(1 - Tehgood)
spoon
(1 - Sugar)
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:11 am

Post by Phoebus »

Hmm.
This is a rather awkward situation.

Do we really want to go into night without a lynch?
People seem to advocate against it on other parts of this board.
On the other hand, it might be useful by potentially adding another day/night cycle to the game...thus giving us more time to find scum?
With a seven player game, if we get a townie today...tomorrow would be do-or-die. Possibly excellent conditions for the mafia to win?

If they do happen to lynch a townie tomorrow, we could still be in a good position with the doc still alive (provided ofcourse they don't strike it lucky with him tonight...for he MUST protect Yggdrasil so that he may investigate somebody.)

But then again, they need just three kills any which way.

Gah! Talk about Catch-22...!!

Thoughts?
Yggdrasil
Yggdrasil
Goon
Yggdrasil
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:31 am

Post by Yggdrasil »

I think going with a lynch today is definitely the best choice. No lynch, will leave us with 4 townies and two mafia tomorrow. This is a sittuation where lynching a townie would result in a town loss (leaving 2 townies and 2 mafia on day 3).

So, I think the best choice would be to lynch tehgood today. He claimed townie and, in this game, mafia are definitely going to claim townie. So, there are 5 possible people who would claim townie (2 mafia + 3 townies), leaving us with a 40% chance that tehgood is mafia. If not, at least we don't lose a cop or doc.

So,
vote: tehgood

just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:11 am

Post by just_nigel »

There are 5 possible people who would claim townie
I happen to think there is a sixth, the doctor not wanting to expose themselves could claim 'townie', but that doesn't change my mind.
My original vote still stands.
just_nigel
just_nigel
Goon
just_nigel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:22 pm

Post by just_nigel »

looks up and down the resort to see if anyone else has emerged form their rooms this weekend. He had been expecting a lynching last night the 3rd and here it is the 4th and still no action. Seeing no one else he scratcehs his head and wonders away.
[/i]
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:47 pm

Post by Werebear »

And the day seemed long, oh so long, and finally the inevitable, the sun was sinking scenically behind the bitter mountains, and the town had reluctantly decided to lynch tehgood. After a brief discussion, the condemned was pushed off a large cliff to the east, screaming and plummeting until a gruesome smack was heard - the end of tehgood.

A thorough search of his room revealed he was nothing special, just a yak herder who was looking for some extra cash for a trip to Disneyworld next summer

NIGHT 2, choices due by Wed, Jan. 7 at noon EST

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”